ImageImageImageImage

Markelle Fultz rehab and progress

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

mrtcsm
Rookie
And1: 105

Markelle Fultz rehab and progress 

Post#1 » by mrtcsm » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:56 pm

Although there has been no news lately on Markelle's rehab and its progress I wanted to create a thread to post anything related to Fultz and his potential comeback next season.

While browsing for news on this I found a recent video (posted by Blue Route - TPL on Twitter) of Steve Clifford during the Draft Combine (link below) in which he says the following:

"I think we have the same philosophy with Markelle as when he got here. He’s been with us for about 5 or 6 weeks. He’s still strengthening the shoulder, he works with one of my assistants, Steve Hetzel, every day, and he’s made good progress. We have no timetable on his return, but so far, so good. He’s obviously super talented, a great person, and working really hard."

Read on Twitter

Also while browsing about it I found an article from December 2018 written by Brandon Apter at Sports Talk Philly (link below) where he compares Markelle's situation to that of former NBA player Ben Uzoh who went through it in 2012. Interestingly when Uzoh finally revealed his injury to the coaching staff he was then playing for the Canton Charge in the G-League (then D-League) under coach Steve Hetzel. Good thing is that Hetzel, whom is now working with Fultz has seen this before. The bad thing is his previous experiencing working with a player battling TOS didn't go so well as evidenced in the quote below from Apter's article:

"He mentioned to Canton's head coach Steve Hetzel that he had a physical problem disrupting his play, but the team doctors were unable to find a solution to his issues. At that point, Hetzel said that Uzoh was "shut down mentally" and that "he went from one of the best players in the league to us playing four on five". Hetzel once benched Uzoh for not competing during a practice because of the injury and he was waived in March 2014."

https://www.sportstalkphilly.com/2018/12/former-nba-guard-ben-uzoh-had-thoracic-outlet-syndrome.html

We are all hoping Fultz will heal from this injury or work his way around it to be an impact player for the Magic in the coming years. We are all rooting for it! Perhaps Hetzel can do some Magic this time around...
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Re: Markelle Fultz rehab and progress 

Post#2 » by Bakomagic » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:12 pm

Thanks for making this topic, I am definitely looking forward to reading about his progress.

Interesting situation with coach Hetzel hopefully he learned something from his experience with Uzoh and things will turn out better with Fultz
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,259

Post#3 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:37 am

Until late September we will probably know nothnig about his recovery, progress, return...
I really don't expect much, if any reports about his condition until training camps open.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#4 » by Max Power » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:57 pm

I hope Markelle can come back strong and be a major piece for us. I think the lack of press on him is for his benefit to help him focus on recovery. I personally don’t have any expectations. I don’t expect a superstar to emerge from this, but don’t rule it out completely. If he could eventually give us 15ppg and 5 assists at a max I’d take that and run. I don’t think he’s gonna be a 25 and 9 guy. Hell, if he could be a double digit guy in reserve the deal would be worth it.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#5 » by MagicFan101 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:45 pm

The absolute worst thing for Fultz right now would be for the organization to start getting people excited.

Keep expectation and pressure low. Let him focus on what he can control.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,598

Post#6 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:51 am

I just hope the team doesn't sign his Team Option if he hides from the team and doesn't show any form of improvement. We need proof that he is improving.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,602

Post#7 » by Skybox » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:24 am

Did I just see "impressive" pics of Bamba working out with Fultz's "sworn enemy" Drew Hanlen? Is this disturbing for chemistry issues, friendship, etc...if Fultz is using Hanlen as scapegoat for his shot, isn't it a little dangerous for the other young guy to be devoted to him. Not saying it's controllable or wrong but, to me, Fultz seems really fragile and it wouldn't take a lot to shake him up.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#8 » by NotACat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:18 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:I just hope the team doesn't sign his Team Option if he hides from the team and doesn't show any form of improvement. We need proof that he is improving.

Its only hidden from the fans, the FO and Clifford have already seen him in the gym. Plus he's working with our medical people now.
Black Lives Matter
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,522

Post#9 » by SOUL » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:24 am

Skybox wrote:Did I just see "impressive" pics of Bamba working out with Fultz's "sworn enemy" Drew Hanlen? Is this disturbing for chemistry issues, friendship, etc...if Fultz is using Hanlen as scapegoat for his shot, isn't it a little dangerous for the other young guy to be devoted to him. Not saying it's controllable or wrong but, to me, Fultz seems really fragile and it wouldn't take a lot to shake him up.

No? Fultz and Hanlen's business is theirs and theirs alone. I don't think he would give a flying **** if Bamba worked with him or not personally. If Hanlen did something shady he might warn Bamba about it or something, but their problems are between them and I doubt he'd do something that petty.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,602

Post#10 » by Skybox » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:46 am

SOUL wrote:
Skybox wrote:Did I just see "impressive" pics of Bamba working out with Fultz's "sworn enemy" Drew Hanlen? Is this disturbing for chemistry issues, friendship, etc...if Fultz is using Hanlen as scapegoat for his shot, isn't it a little dangerous for the other young guy to be devoted to him. Not saying it's controllable or wrong but, to me, Fultz seems really fragile and it wouldn't take a lot to shake him up.

No? Fultz and Hanlen's business is theirs and theirs alone. I don't think he would give a flying **** if Bamba worked with him or not personally. If Hanlen did something shady he might warn Bamba about it or something, but their problems are between them and I doubt he'd do something that petty.

I hope you're right...but I don't find it hard to imagine that a very young, very confused, very hurt, very insecure kid might take it the wrong way - sounds like dating an ex to me. Don't underestimate the effects of social media BS on our youth. He may be upset by Mo's progress and giving Hanlen credit...sadly but that's 2019. If Mo puts his arm around Hanlen and says "he's the best coach" and Markelle sees it...childish but real.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,712

Post#11 » by basketballRob » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:53 am

What I remember is Hanlen was upset because Fultz changed his shot from what he taught him over last summer. Shortly after that Fultz disclosed the reason he couldn't shoot the way Hanlen taught him is because of the pain from a condition called TOS.

I'm sure after Hanlen found out he was injured that they worked things out.

This board wants so badly to create drama over Fultz.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#12 » by LloydFree » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:54 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:I just hope the team doesn't sign his Team Option if he hides from the team and doesn't show any form of improvement. We need proof that he is improving.

Oh he's gonna hide. At least as much as he can until mid-October, in the hope that the Magic don't see enough bad to want to cut their losses.. That kid knows he can't play. His focus is on nothing but hanging around until he gets that last 12 million option picked up on his rookie contract.

The Magic's best bet is to not pick up that option, no matter what he does in training camp, because no one else is going to bid on him next summer. Just re-sign him for part of the MLE if he's any good.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#13 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:32 pm

basketballRob wrote:What I remember is Hanlen was upset because Fultz changed his shot from what he taught him over last summer. Shortly after that Fultz disclosed the reason he couldn't shoot the way Hanlen taught him is because of the pain from a condition called TOS.

I'm sure after Hanlen found out he was injured that they worked things out.

This board wants so badly to create drama over Fultz.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

That makes sense to me too. putting up 1 million reps using a new shooting stroke could cause irritation, inflammation and muscle growth which could have brought around the TOS. And then that diagnosis was not made for a while afterward because no one knew what was going on. As WeHam said... there is no reason to rush.... best to just get it right. It's not like KD coming back to help win the the finals or anything. His rehab was gonna put him in a range that of dates that he would probably not going to make it for the playoff or would have been a rushed addition. So... if he's not going to be ready for the the end of the season.... there is no reason to rush him over the summer. What's wrong with being cautious about your investment in the future.

screw letting the kids play with the new toy on christmas morning...they getting the present late. lol... so I would be happy that they can care less about appeasing us and sticking to their plan. But yeah... that makes absolute sense to me. But.... we can totally be wrong too. haha
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,158

Post#14 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:13 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:The absolute worst thing for Fultz right now would be for the organization to start getting people excited.

Keep expectation and pressure low. Let him focus on what he can control.

Agreed. And maybe because it’s our offseason and boredom has hit but I’ve seen expectations really rise.

It’s best to forget he exists until September
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#15 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:28 pm

LloydFree wrote:

Oh he's gonna hide. At least as much as he can until mid-October, in the hope that the Magic don't see enough bad to want to cut their losses.. That kid knows he can't play. His focus is on nothing but hanging around until he gets that last 12 million option picked up on his rookie contract.

The Magic's best bet is to not pick up that option, no matter what he does in training camp, because no one else is going to bid on him next summer. Just re-sign him for part of the MLE if he's any good.
queue the mad Philly fan hoping Markelle fails. Don’t worry about us. We all have zero expectations for Fultz until he shows otherwise.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#16 » by LloydFree » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

queue the mad Philly fan hoping Markelle fails. Don’t worry about us. We all have zero expectations for Fultz until he shows otherwise.

I don't hope anything. I know what he is. Does nothing for me to hope for him to fail. It's good that you have zero expectations. That's the best mindset to have with him.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#17 » by NotACat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:39 pm

LloydFree wrote:

We're almost definitely going to pick up his option to keep his RFA rights. He's worth the gamble.
Black Lives Matter
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#18 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:16 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Oh he's gonna hide. At least as much as he can until mid-October, in the hope that the Magic don't see enough bad to want to cut their losses.. That kid knows he can't play. His focus is on nothing but hanging around until he gets that last 12 million option picked up on his rookie contract.

I don't hope anything. I know what he is. Does nothing for me to hope for him to fail. It's good that you have zero expectations. That's the best mindset to have with him.
Riiiight.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,598

Post#19 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:06 pm

NotACat wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

We're almost definitely going to pick up his option to keep his RFA rights. He's worth the gamble.

If Fultz doesn't give the team enough display to show improvement, I would rather free that $12 mil for someone who can.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#20 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:45 pm

Good thing we have preseason and the start of the season to evaluate before making that option decision.

Return to Orlando Magic