ImageImage

Potential Offseason Moves

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#201 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:03 pm

VCfor3 wrote:Why would the Cavs trade Thompson and JR for Hayward? I've seen you suggest that before, but Hayward is a negative contract. JR is a positive (Cavs could just do that Miami deal themselves for #13). Thompson is an expiring contract so not negative value. They take on more money, pay the luxury tax, and pass up potentially the 13th pick in hopes of Hayward rounding back to form? Just wanted to see why you thought they'd be willing to go that route.

"The Cavs would gladly take the polarizing Hayward, who was an All-Star in Utah before his horrific leg injury. He would be the main prize, the exception to Cleveland demanding a draft pick or ascending player on a rookie deal. Hayward is healthy now and will have a full off-season to try to regain his old form, possibly giving the Cavs another piece to accelerate their timeline. Put Hayward, 29, alongside Kevin Love, Collin Sexton and the duo added in Round One and suddenly Cleveland has the look of a playoff team.
Of course, this hypothetical Boston-Cleveland swap would have to be a bigger move because of Hayward’s $32.7 million salary number. A trade would probably involve the expiring contracts of John Henson or Jordan Clarkson."

Joe Vardon of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

The other article I saw on their interest Smith's non gauranteed contract was being offered. Now if you're the Cavs & you think Hayward might bounce back from injury to his pre Allstar form.

Smith, Henson or Clarkson is not much to give up for that project value.

Heat trade for JR.Smith because if they buyout R.Anderons contract as rumored they'd still be over the tax threshold by 5m. Where JR for JJ sheds a 3yr 15m unwanted contract & gets them under the lux tax.

The most uncertainty for me in my offer comes with Suns interest in Marcus Smart. I'm thinking he's a young proven defensive PG with 4 yrs control next to Booker who can stick the occasional 3.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,583

Post#202 » by NYG » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:20 pm

Is Kevin Knox or Mitchell Robinson a better fit next to JJJ?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#203 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:51 pm

NYG wrote:Is Kevin Knox or Mitchell Robinson a better fit next to JJJ?

I saw your post on the trade board and was kinda wondering the same thing ha. JJJ is likely a PF who plays some small ball 5 at times. Robinson would be an insane defensive pairing and could catch lobs from Ja for days. On the other hand, center is a position that is much easier to find a cheap replacement for. Knox as a SF place a much more in-demand position. Know however managed a -1.3 win share and looked pretty rough. However with time he could turn it around. So I don't know which our team would prefer.

As a side note, I think DSJ to PHX may have some legs. You aren't getting #6, but you may be able to get Josh Jackson+MIL/PHX 1st. If we did the deal as you laid out, I'd hope that Memphis would pursue that. I think Memphis is hoping for a good young player and a pick.

MEM in: Frank+Lance Thomas(waived)+Solomon Hill+Knox(or Robinson)+MIL/PHX 1st

PHX in: DSJ

NOP in: Conley+#3+Robinson (or Knox)+2021 DAL 1st+Josh Jackson

NYK in: AD

-NOP gets an All-Star level talent, young player with All Star potential (Robinson), two firsts with one being RJ, and Josh Jackson as a sweetener. They may want DSJ though just to have their potential PG of the future. Conley/Jrue/RJ/Zion/Robinson with Moore and Jackson off the bench.
-PHX gets their PG they have been searching for. Josh Jackson needs a fresh start and giving up one of their picks next year is a pretty cheap price.
-MEM gets a young player in Knox plus a 1st as the main haul. Frank is a reclamation project and a sweetener for them.
-NYK gets AD.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#204 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:16 am

NYG wrote:Is Kevin Knox or Mitchell Robinson a better fit next to JJJ?

NO's are rumored to not be enamored with Knox & I share that opinion. Robinson is an easy choice for me. Memphis are kicking off their rebuild, they need to gather assets & value long before qustioning how it all fits.

Being the better player/value, if Robinson doesn't fit with 3J or Memphis. They can trade him as a more coveted player than Knox..
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#205 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:27 am

Cari Champion claiming on a podcast with ESPN that LA could trade for Davis while keeping Kuzma & the 4th.

(Ingram, Hart, Ball, FRP) for (Davis)

NO's seemed interested in pairing Ball with Jrue, then there's the rumor of Ball for the 6th or 7th pick..

(Ingram, Hart, #6, FRP protected) for (Davis)

- NY is rumored to be taking RJ & keeping him,

Assuming Ball is in the deal for Davis with them keeping Kuzma & the 4th. If LA strikeout in FA for a PG (#4, cap space) for (Conley).

Davis
Kuzma
Lebron
KCP
Conley
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#206 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:34 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski said Tuesday during ESPN's mock draft special 3 teams would have interest in Conley. Utah, Pacers, Boston. One caveat though, is the interest from Boston could be dependent on whether Kyrie Irving leaves the team in free agency.

I'm surprised Lakers aren't listed & with Lebron's inner circle talking about LA trading for Davis & keeping the 4th.

My assumption is, are Lakers going to run Garland at point, if they trade Ball. Would explain the rumored draft promise. This would mean one of Suns or Chicago at 6/7 loseout in their search for a PG ...

According to a report from Darnell Mayberry of The Athletic, the Bulls are willing to trade some of their assets in hopes of improving.

"There’s a growing belief around the league that the Bulls are open to trading anyone and anything not named Lauri Markkanen or Wendell Carter Jr., according to sources familiar with the team’s offseason objectives".

Memphis trade - (Conley, K. Anderson) =39m to Chicago for (Otto Porter, Felicio, Dunn, #7) 38m

- Felicio & Dunn are negative contracts but they shed 12m off of Andersons 8m 4y contract.
- K.Anderson is a young 3 & D SF/PF, which helps Chicago in trading Porter for their starting PG Conley.
- Grizzlies swap Conley for the younger Otto Porter, add additional value (Anderson) to net the 7th pick.

Chicago

- Carter
- Markkanen
- K.Anderson
- Lavine
- Conley'

Memphis

- Jonas
- 3J
- Porter
- #7 (Hunter/Culver/Johnson) or stick with Holiday/Brooks & draft a big man
- Ja
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#207 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 pm

Lakers are among teams expected to be ‘very interested’ in Kemba Walker, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN:

"The biggest question facing Charlotte right now is are they going to re-sign Kemba Walker in free agency… or are they going to be willing to allow him to go out into the marketplace where teams like Dallas, the Knicks, and the Lakers are going to be very interested in Walker".

Charlotte Hornets will offer Walker a supermax deal, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic:

"The Hornets and Kemba Walker both have each other as top priorities entering July 1, league sources said. Walker confirmed to Jared Weiss of The Athletic that the Hornets remain his “first priority”

With the potential of Kyrie ending up in NJ or NY, Kemba having Charlotte as his first priority & Woj not linking LA as a team interested in Conley. Does that mean if they strikeout on a PG in FA, they turn to the draft & Garland before trading for Conley?.

The timeline is off for Lebron's 3yr window & Garland's rookie learning curve ... IMO, Lakers should rightfully have trade interest in Conley if they strikeout in FA.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#208 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:22 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Lakers are among teams expected to be ‘very interested’ in Kemba Walker, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN:

"The biggest question facing Charlotte right now is are they going to re-sign Kemba Walker in free agency… or are they going to be willing to allow him to go out into the marketplace where teams like Dallas, the Knicks, and the Lakers are going to be very interested in Walker".

Charlotte Hornets will offer Walker a supermax deal, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic:

"The Hornets and Kemba Walker both have each other as top priorities entering July 1, league sources said. Walker confirmed to Jared Weiss of The Athletic that the Hornets remain his “first priority”

With the potential of Kyrie ending up in NJ or NY, Kemba having Charlotte as his first priority & Woj not linking LA as a team interested in Conley. Does that mean if they strikeout on a PG in FA, they turn to the draft & Garland before trading for Conley?.

The timeline is off for Lebron's 3yr window & Garland's rookie learning curve ... IMO, Lakers should rightfully have trade interest in Conley if they strikeout in FA.

I mean the draft will have already happened by the time FA even starts. I think it will ultimately be up to Bron. If Conley is enough to appease him then they'll go after him. If Conley isn't enough and Lebron is still going to be unhappy/request a trade then they may keep Garland and look to rebuild after moving LBJ.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#209 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:12 pm

VCfor3 wrote:I mean the draft will have already happened by the time FA even starts. I think it will ultimately be up to Bron. If Conley is enough to appease him then they'll go after him. If Conley isn't enough and Lebron is still going to be unhappy/request a trade then they may keep Garland and look to rebuild after moving LBJ.

When building my rational, I keep neglecting the fact the draft happens before free agency ..

A new rumor out has Cavs trading their 5th pick to Atlanta for preferably 8 & 17 said to be (10 & 17). With Hawks interest believed to be in Culver. That could mean LA is drafting either Hunter or Garland. I think the draft promise to Garland is insurance because the draft is before FA. If LA strikes out in FA & they need to trade Ball at any point, they'll have Garland to fall back on.

Earlier this morning, talk out of Cleveland was they wanted only one 1st round pick having two (5 & 26). That they would like to add a veteran to move the roster forward as I posted with the Hayward rumor from the plain dealer. Talk this afternoon is, they might be trading back with Atlanta for multiple picks.

This would suggest Cavs are in the loop for a Davis trade. Linking rumors I assume it will be with Boston & Hayward in the mix. I don't think Cavs want to help LA/Lebron get Davis & Knicks don't have any veteran targets to interest them, which would lead me to believe they're working with Boston, having previously been linked to Hayward.

It's possible Hunter who Cavs would take at 5, could fall to 8 (#4 Garland, #5 Culver, #6 Suns, #7 Chicago). Which could be why Atlanta is trying to hold the 8th pick.

If Boston is partnering in this deal with 14, 20, 22... NO's frame work for a Davis deal is 2 first's. With 5 potential picks involved (14, 17, 20, 22, 26) & the growing belief Kyrie is gone … Boston having made a draft promise to Thybulle who they could take with the 26th pick. They could theoretically trade (Hayward, Tatum, Smart, 14,17,20,22) & end up with (Davis, Conley, Thybulle).
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#210 » by SD2042 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:57 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I mean the draft will have already happened by the time FA even starts. I think it will ultimately be up to Bron. If Conley is enough to appease him then they'll go after him. If Conley isn't enough and Lebron is still going to be unhappy/request a trade then they may keep Garland and look to rebuild after moving LBJ.

When building my rational, I keep neglecting the fact the draft happens before free agency ..

A new rumor out has Cavs trading their 5th pick to Atlanta for preferably 8 & 17 said to be (10 & 17). With Hawks interest believed to be in Culver. That could mean LA is drafting either Hunter or Garland. I think the draft promise to Garland is insurance because the draft is before FA. If LA strikes out in FA & they need to trade Ball at any point, they'll have Garland to fall back on.

Earlier this morning, talk out of Cleveland was they wanted only one 1st round pick having two (5 & 26). That they would like to add a veteran to move the roster forward as I posted with the Hayward rumor from the plain dealer. Talk this afternoon is, they might be trading back with Atlanta for multiple picks.

This would suggest Cavs are in the loop for a Davis trade. Linking rumors I assume it will be with Boston & Hayward in the mix. I don't think Cavs want to help LA/Lebron get Davis & Knicks don't have any veteran targets to interest them, which would lead me to believe they're working with Boston, having previously been linked to Hayward.

It's possible Hunter who Cavs would take at 5, could fall to 8 (#4 Garland, #5 Culver, #6 Suns, #7 Chicago). Which could be why Atlanta is trying to hold the 8th pick.

If Boston is partnering in this deal with 14, 20, 22... NO's frame work for a Davis deal is 2 first's. With 5 potential picks involved (14, 17, 20, 22, 26) & the growing belief Kyrie is gone … Boston having made a draft promise to Thybulle who they could take with the 26th pick. They could theoretically trade (Hayward, Tatum, Smart, 14,17,20,22) & end up with (Davis, Conley, Thybulle).

Who's the source to some of these rumors?
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#211 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:14 am

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Who's the source to some of these rumors?

A combination of Plain dealer, Shams, Woj & Kyler.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#212 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:19 am

One report indicates that a potential deal with the Atlanta Hawks is under consideration, a trade that would give the Cavaliers three first-round selections.

Steve Kyler

@stevekylerNBA

I was told the 10 and the 17, not the 8 is what’s being considered, not sure if that gets it done for the Cavs.

https://cavaliersnation.com/2019/06/12/report-cavs-dealing-5-pick-hawks-10-17/

Hayward is healthy now and will have a full off-season to try to regain his old form, possibly giving the Cavs another piece to accelerate their timeline. Put Hayward, 29, alongside Kevin Love, Collin Sexton and the duo added in Round One and suddenly Cleveland has the look of a playoff team.
Of course, this hypothetical Boston-Cleveland swap would have to be a bigger move because of Hayward’s $32.7 million salary number. A trade would probably involve the expiring contracts of John Henson or Jordan Clarkson."

Joe Vardon of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

The Chicago Tribune reports that the belief at the moment is that one of two teams made that promise. A Suns insider claims they didn't make the promise.

"Garland, who played in only five games before a meniscus injury ended his lone college season, left the draft combine this week with an alleged draft promise from a lottery team. Multiple league executives assume it’s from the Lakers or Suns."

Garland's status as a Klutch Sports client. If anything, Rich Paul's involvement
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#213 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:33 am

The Celtics enter the 2019 NBA Draft with four selections, including three in the first round: No. 14, No. 20 and No. 22. Boston could acquire a solid talent with the 14th pick, but ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski suggested Tuesday night the team's other two first-rounders could be up for grabs.
"You’re going to see teams target those picks,” Wojnarowski said about the No. 20 and No. 22 picks on ESPN's NBA Mock Draft show, as transcribed by MassLive.com. "(The Celtics) don’t want to have three rookies on this team next season."
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#214 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:37 am

SD I might be off on Cavs intent to acquire 3 1sts. It was my speculation it involves Boston.

The Cleveland Cavaliers are continuing to explore different ways to obtain the No. 3 overall pick in the upcoming 2019 NBA Draft in order to pick Duke University forward R.J. Barrett.
One NBA insider indicated that the price for Barrett could be three first-round picks, a steep cost that he believes might be worth it.

https://cavaliersnation.com/2019/06/12/cavs-still-exploring-ways-trade-no-3-pick-draft-r-j-barrett/
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#215 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:52 am

league sources told ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, Zach Lowe, Ramona Shelburne and Brian Windhorst on Wednesday. The Lakers’ No. 4 pick has been discussed as a trade chip to help the Pelicans acquire a high-level player in multi-team deals.

Interesting that NO's didn't want the 4th pick but as a chip to help land high level player in Multi team deal.

"High level player" is that another term for Allstar? or is a step below like a Conley next to Jrue type high level ...
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#216 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:02 am

Evan Daniels

@EvanDaniels

Source: Keldon Johnson received an invite to the NBA Draft Green Room. Averaged 13.5 PPG & 5.9 RPG at Kentucky last season.

12:14 PM - Jun 13, 2019

With Utah listed by Woj as one of 3 teams with potential interest in Conley. They're mocked to be taking Johnson with the 23rd pick.

I'd trade - (Conley) to Utah for (Favors, filler, #23. if it's K. Jonson). If Johnson is not there, then no to Utah.

A Jonas, Favors, Jaren PF/C rotation can give teams many different looks offensively & defensively. It's solid depth, which is key to winning games over the course of 82 games & keeping players healthy with less fatigue, wear & tear at a demanding position. K. Johnson beefs up the wing potential with a 3&D workhorse floor. (IMO, he has the potential to be a shot creator). He's versatile enough defensively to guard 1-4 where Memphis will have a slew of wings & forwards that can guard multiple positions & hit from range which fits Jenkins philosophy. I think Johnson would be a great fit next to Ja, he does the dirty work on both ends with his highly competitive nature. Doesn't hurt that he can fill lanes & play above the rim. Not to mention he shot 38% from 3 on the season, while being labelled as inconsistent. (If I'm also not mistaken, a higher %, when assisted). I think he has the potential to become a 40+ 3pt shooter with some refinement to his already good form & will be a draft steal at 23 ..

Jonas / Noah? / Rabb
3J / Favors / Parsons
Bruno / Anderson / Miles
#23 K. Johnson / Holiday / Brooks - Delon, if Memphis need a secondary ball handler.
Ja / Delon / Carter

Bradley bought out or traded for draft assets?
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#217 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:21 am

"According to a source with ties to Roc Nation, the organization expected to become Irving’s new representative, the All-Star point guard is prepared to sign with the Brooklyn Nets when he becomes a free agent next month. A separate league source told the Herald that his team (not the Celtics) has received the same information and is operating under the belief that Irving wants to join the Nets".

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2019/06/13/nba-rumors-kyrie-irving-signing-brooklyn-nets/

Irving landing with the Nets, combined with the rumor that Kemba would take less money to help contend in Charlotte, it will come down to how 2 teams (LA/Boston) key players (Lebron/Horford) with a limited window of contention, want to address their PG position?.

Will they target the next best available vet option after Kyrie & Kemba or cheap out in FA?.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#218 » by SD2042 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:11 am

Whole Truth wrote:SD I might be off on Cavs intent to acquire 3 1sts. It was my speculation it involves Boston.

The Cleveland Cavaliers are continuing to explore different ways to obtain the No. 3 overall pick in the upcoming 2019 NBA Draft in order to pick Duke University forward R.J. Barrett.
One NBA insider indicated that the price for Barrett could be three first-round picks, a steep cost that he believes might be worth it.

https://cavaliersnation.com/2019/06/12/cavs-still-exploring-ways-trade-no-3-pick-draft-r-j-barrett/

Sounds like the Cavs need to have a talk with the Thunder about the 21st pick and perhaps other suitors to help them get RJ Barrett if it's their goal for the draft.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#219 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:02 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:SD I might be off on Cavs intent to acquire 3 1sts. It was my speculation it involves Boston.

Sounds like the Cavs need to have a talk with the Thunder about the 21st pick and perhaps other suitors to help them get RJ Barrett if it's their goal for the draft.

I don't know if the Heat have decided to keep their pick of not but one rumor had them trading the 13th pick for JR. Smiths partially guaranteed contract that would get them under the luxury tax. If that were to fall through I don't know if the 21st pick is worth 8m in savings even if it meets an end goal.

Cavs trade - (Smith, #5, #26) for (bad contract, #3 RJ)

OKC trade - (Bad contract, #21) for (Smith partially guaranteed contract) - shed salary

Knicks trade - (RJ) for (#5, #21, #26) - where they're guaranteed one of Hunter or Culver at 5, multiplying their asset.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#220 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:12 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

I don't know if the Heat have decided to keep their pick of not but one rumor had them trading the 13th pick for JR. Smiths partially guaranteed contract that would get them under the luxury tax. If that were to fall through I don't know if the 21st pick is worth 8m in savings even if it meets an end goal.

Cavs trade - (Smith, #5, #26) for (bad contract, #3 RJ)

OKC trade - (Bad contract, #21) for (Smith partially guaranteed contract) - shed salary

Knicks trade - (RJ) for (#5, #21, #26) - where they're guaranteed one of Hunter or Culver at 5, multiplying their asset.

I think it would take more than 21 and 26 to move up to 3. It is seen as a pretty wide gap between 3 and 5.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies