Woj: Celtics and Lakers Engaged with Pelicans on Anthony Davis Trade

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

LouisLitt
Sixth Man
And1: 3,120

Re: Woj: Celtics and Lakers Engaged with Pelicans on Anthony Davis Trade 

Post#301 » by LouisLitt » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:28 am

LKN wrote:If you take a step back IMO the craziest thing about all this is how the Lakers signed Lebron and seemed to have no plan other than "we have Lebron - everything will somehow work out".

Every day I wonder more and more why in the world Lebron signed with the Lakers. If he wanted to live in LA the Clippers are currently a far better run team

Tell me you had the Clippers as the better option before the season started.

Not a chance.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,101

Post#302 » by Slim Charless » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:29 am

levon wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
clyde21 wrote:3 way trade:

Pelicans get: Brandon Ingram, Devin Booker
Phoenix gets: Lonzo Ball, 4th overall pick
Lakers get: Anthony Davis, Solomon Hill

I hope the warriors lose by 40 tomorrow

That dude's been trying to get Devin Booker off the Suns since 2016

If they traded Booker 4 for THAT, the just go ahead and fold the team cause no one is AZ is watching, or coming to any games ever again.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#303 » by LKN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:34 am

LouisLitt wrote:
LKN wrote:If you take a step back IMO the craziest thing about all this is how the Lakers signed Lebron and seemed to have no plan other than "we have Lebron - everything will somehow work out".

Every day I wonder more and more why in the world Lebron signed with the Lakers. If he wanted to live in LA the Clippers are currently a far better run team

Not a chance.

Edit - I'm probably remembering my thoughts on the Clippers wrong - so I'll concede the point there.

I mean, I figured at the time that the Lakers were going to get another big FA... once that didn't happen they started flailing and haven't really stopped
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,109

Post#304 » by Dr Aki » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:36 am

What do you mean there was no plan? The moment Magic and Pelinka were installed, all they've done is create and/or maintain cap space.

The plan was and has always been to sign two max free agents, then parlay young assets into a third star.

The two FAs that the Lakers initially wanted was LeBron and George. But since the George thing fell through, there was enough time (before Ingram's extension) to give free agency another go to grab the second max guy.

It's the exact same gameplan that the Celtics executed when they signed Horford, then Hayward the following July, then executed the Kyrie trade.

So seriously, what do you mean the was no plan?
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#305 » by bulliedog8 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:36 am

Bulls need to get back in this

Bulls get: lonzo, Solomon hill

Grizzlies: 7 and felicio, and 2020 bulls 2nd

Pelicans get: 4, Conley, Ingram, and 38 (from bulls)

Lakers get: AD

Bulls start trying to win now. Solomon a good vet off the bench. Starting 5 set the next 3-4 years minimum. Bulls still have cap for more vets

Grizz get another high lotto pick for Conley and an overpaid 4th big off the bench. Get a bulls 2nd rounder for the troubles. Draft Ja 2 and culver/reddish/hunter at 7. Young core of Ja, wing, and JJJ.

Pelicans get both a win now move and future assets move. Conley Jrue is a nice backcourt for the next 2 years as long as they stay healthy. Add Zion and then garland or culver with 4. Hopefully Ingram stays healthy, and they get 38 this year for Solomon.

Lakers get AD and keep hart and Kuzma. Have enough room for another high level guy. Not sure how much cap but maybe offer a brogdan remaining cap, 20 mil? Bucks would match though
LouisLitt
Sixth Man
And1: 3,120

Post#306 » by LouisLitt » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:44 am

LKN wrote:
LouisLitt wrote:

Not a chance.

Wait, you think it wasn't obvious the Clippers had better young talent?

I mean, I figured at the time that the Lakers were going to get another big FA... once that didn't happen they started flailing and haven't really stopped

Gallinari played 23 games in 2017/18, Harrell wasn't projected to be this good, and Beverly started at PG the majority of the season.

It wasn't obvious at all.

Lonzo/Kuzma/Ingrim/Hart and cap space was 100% more attractive before the season started.

You're not going to have me buy that in early July you knew the Clippers would do better this season.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#307 » by The_Hater » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:49 am

That was exactly Magic Johnson’s plan. And he continually gave away or let assets leave in order to maintain his cap space.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Don Ford
Analyst
And1: 1,042

Post#308 » by Don Ford » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:50 am

LKN wrote:
LouisLitt wrote:

Not a chance.

If the Clippers have better young talent then they would be the leading contender for the AD trade.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#309 » by jfs1000d » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:51 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:I really don't understand it from the Celtics POV. Kyrie looks like he's gone, so why give up your assets for AD, whether he stays or leaves?

You think Boston was that Enamored by Kyrie?

They think a Davis/Hayward/Horford and what is left can get them a title. I think it can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LKN
General Manager

Post#310 » by LKN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:53 am

Dr Aki wrote:

What do you mean there was no plan? The moment Magic and Pelinka were installed, all they've done is create and/or maintain cap space.

The plan was and has always been to sign two max free agents, then parlay young assets into a third star.

The two FAs that the Lakers initially wanted was LeBron and George. But since the George thing fell through, there was enough time (before Ingram's extension) to give free agency another go to grab the second max guy.

It's the exact same gameplan that the Celtics executed when they signed Horford, then Hayward the following July, then executed the Kyrie trade.

So seriously, what do you mean the was no plan?

I never said they didn't have a plan.... in fact I just posted a more succinct version of it than you did.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,008

Post#311 » by levon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:53 am

jfs1000d wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:I really don't understand it from the Celtics POV. Kyrie looks like he's gone, so why give up your assets for AD, whether he stays or leaves?

They think a Davis/Hayward/Horford and what is left can get them a title. I think it can.

Good luck.
LKN
General Manager

Post#312 » by LKN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:53 am

Don Ford wrote:
LKN wrote:
LouisLitt wrote:

Not a chance.

If the Clippers have better young talent then they would be the leading contender for the AD trade.

Eh you could be right... I'm probably forgetting how old some of those guys are.
LKN
General Manager

Post#313 » by LKN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:55 am

LouisLitt wrote:
LKN wrote:
LouisLitt wrote:

Not a chance.

Gallinari played 23 games in 2017/18, Harrell wasn't projected to be this good, and Beverly started at PG the majority of the season.

It wasn't obvious at all.

Lonzo/Kuzma/Ingrim/Hart and cap space was 100% more attractive before the season started.

You're not going to have me buy that in early July you knew the Clippers would do better this season.

Yes - I could be remembering wrong - I'll concede the point on this one.

FWIW, I've never thought that highly of any of the Lakers young players other than Ingram (unfortunately with Ingram I'm not convinced he'll ever be a good shooter)
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#314 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:56 am

Slim Charless wrote:
clyde21 wrote:3 way trade:

Pelicans get: Brandon Ingram, Devin Booker
Phoenix gets: Lonzo Ball, 4th overall pick
Lakers get: Anthony Davis, Solomon Hill

I hope the warriors lose by 40 tomorrow

me too
TheGOATWill
Analyst
And1: 3,808

Post#315 » by TheGOATWill » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:01 am

jfs1000d wrote:

Bucks in 5
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#316 » by TheNewEra » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:02 am

LKN wrote:
Don Ford wrote:
LKN wrote:

Eh you could be right... I'm probably forgetting how old some of those guys are.

Clippers know not to trust Rich Paul speaking for AD. Give up SGA and then have Paul use any little thing to get AD across the hall. No chance
teke184
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,391

Post#317 » by teke184 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:07 am

The Lake Show is apparently in a snit about trade talks leaking.

Considering that the entire Pels FO has turned over in the last six months, I think their investigation should either focus internally on their own people or on Klutch.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,417

Post#318 » by Kalela » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:12 am

Michael Jordan wrote:I don't think Boston should do it if they have to give up Tatum

Tatum a decent young player with a potential to become a better player. AD, on the other hand, is a top 10 player now. Take a chance on him and win now and hope he changes his mind. You can always draft more Tatums but it is damn near impossible to get another AD.
Fire Mazzulla
JC28
Junior
And1: 79

Post#319 » by JC28 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:14 am

teke184 wrote:The Lake Show is apparently in a snit about trade talks leaking.

Considering that the entire Pels FO has turned over in the last six months, I think their investigation should either focus internally on their own people or on Klutch.

It's Klutch. They leak and and turn around and point the finger at the Pels. Perhaps Pelinka/Buss are dumb enough to believe it, but I doubt it. Problem is there is nothing they can do about it. They can't really do anything besides play along though. They know it does them no good to bump heads with LBJ/Klutch.
LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man
And1: 1,906

Post#320 » by LipSkinMatter » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:15 am

Kalela wrote:
Michael Jordan wrote:I don't think Boston should do it if they have to give up Tatum

Tatum a decent young player with a potential to become a better player. AD, on the other hand, is a top 10 player now. Take a chance on him and win now and hope he changes his mind. You can always draft more Tatums but it is damn near impossible to get another AD.

He isn't changing his mind on the Celtics. That seems pretty obvious at this stage of the game.

Return to The General Board