Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,367

Re: Woj: Kyrie and Longtime Agent Part Ways; Will Sign with Roc Nation Sports 

Post#101 » by baldur » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:33 am

payback for the notorious nets-celtics trade on just about time.

L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Re: Woj: Kyrie and Longtime Agent Part Ways; Signs with Roc Nation Sports 

Post#102 » by L3GEND4RY » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:33 am

reload141 wrote:First practice with DLo & Irving

:lol: :lol:

Signature by freshcontrast
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant

Post#103 » by L3GEND4RY » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:34 am

baldur wrote:payback for the notorious nets-celtics trade on just about time.

Payback? Really, guy?

LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man
And1: 1,906

Post#104 » by LipSkinMatter » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:36 am

LKN wrote:FWIW - while I don't think they'll be true contenders I'm not sure BOS really gets much worse if they lose Kyrie. Esp if Hayward can come back to anything close to what he used to be and Tatum steps up some

Yeah, losing one of the best PGs in the NBA and his 24.3 PER and .197 WS/48 shouldn't hinder the Celtics at all. :o

L3GEND4RY wrote:

Payback? Really, guy?

Really really.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#105 » by Tomjas » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:36 am

Jay-Z is a mystery to me

Saw him interviewed once and he came across as being as thick as a brick

Next time I took notice of him was when he signed Andre Ward to one of the worst contracts in boxing history

Yet he´s a billionaire married to Beyonce
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#106 » by NBAFan93 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:38 am

Can someone explain why this agent choice is proof he’s 100% going to the Nets? Cause Jay-Z used to own a portion of this agency company and also used to own a portion of the Nets - but he doesn’t anymore?

I did notice that KD is a also a client of this agency, which was interesting, but may not rally mean anything either.
walk with me
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,349

Post#107 » by walk with me » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:38 am

Can Brooklyn trade for brow? Is that at all possible?
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#108 » by LKN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:40 am

LipSkinMatter wrote:
LKN wrote:FWIW - while I don't think they'll be true contenders I'm not sure BOS really gets much worse if they lose Kyrie. Esp if Hayward can come back to anything close to what he used to be and Tatum steps up some

Yeah, losing one of the best PGs in the NBA and his 24.3 PER and .197 WS/48 shouldn't hinder the Celtics at all. :o

Fortunately we don't just count up the PER and WS/48 of all the players and decide who wins.

As I said, I don't think they'd be a contender... but a playoff team that wins 40-something games? Wouldn't surprise me.

Not that it matters that much anyways....The east has all of a sudden become very good at the top.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#109 » by SpeedyG » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:42 am

NBAFan93 wrote:Can someone explain why this agent choice is proof he’s 100% going to the Nets? Cause Jay-Z used to own a portion of this agency company and also used to own a portion of the Nets - but he doesn’t anymore?

I did notice that KD is a also a client of this agency, which was interesting, but may not rally mean anything either.
Nets marketing guy Brett Yormark is twin brother of Roc Nation President.

Not to say every Roc player goes to Nets, but the timing of this announcement is impeccable with the Celtics rumor of going after KD despite AD saying he isn't staying

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant

Post#110 » by L3GEND4RY » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:43 am

LipSkinMatter wrote:

L3GEND4RY wrote:

Payback? Really, guy?

Really really.

What a stupid narrative. There is no “payback”. Is he a great player? Without a doubt. Is he the right fit here? I think this season made that evidently clear. On and off the court. He isn’t a leader.

Setback? Sure. Crippling to the extent of what Ainge did to BK? Not in the same realm.

LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man

Post#111 » by LipSkinMatter » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:46 am

LKN wrote:
LipSkinMatter wrote:

Fortunately we don't just count up the PER and WS/48 of all the players and decide who wins.

As I said, I don't think they'd be a contender... but a playoff team that wins 40-something games? Wouldn't surprise me.

Not that it matters that much anyways....The east has all of a sudden become very good at the top.

Really good players decide who wins. Kyrie Irving is a really good player.
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#112 » by Matty » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:48 am

He's going to one of the NY teams that is for sure.
illmatic24
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,027

Post#113 » by illmatic24 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:48 am

I'm not even 100% sure he signs with the Nets. I mean, it looks likely. But it makes very little sense unless he desperately wants to play for his hometown team.

He loses money signing there. He'll be on a potentially worse team. He would be the man there but he already tried that in Boston and he was a huge failure in that leadership/#1 option role. If he knows another fairly big time player will go there with him then it kind of makes sense but I doubt that.

I don't know. Kyrie is just a really, really weird dude.
LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man

Post#114 » by LipSkinMatter » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:50 am

illmatic24 wrote:I'm not even 100% sure he signs with the Nets. I mean, it looks likely. But it makes very little sense unless he desperately wants to play for his hometown team.

He loses money signing there. He'll be on a potentially worse team. He would be the man there but he already tried that in Boston and he was a huge failure in that leadership/#1 option role. If he knows another fairly big time player will go there with him then it kind of makes sense but I doubt that.

He wasn't a huge failure in the #1 role. Actually, he was quite excellent last season excluding the Bucks series. The reason the Celtics disappointed is the guys around him weren't good enough.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,395

Post#115 » by TheGOATRises007 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:51 am

LipSkinMatter wrote:
illmatic24 wrote:I'm not even 100% sure he signs with the Nets. I mean, it looks likely. But it makes very little sense unless he desperately wants to play for his hometown team.

He wasn't a huge failure in the #1 role. Actually, he was quite excellent last season excluding the Bucks series. The reason the Celtics disappointed is the guys around him weren't good enough.

Excellent is a stretch.

He was good.

He's not good enough to be a number 1 option though and their overall talent is definitely overrated.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#116 » by LKN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:52 am

LipSkinMatter wrote:
LKN wrote:
LipSkinMatter wrote:

Kyrie Irving makes an excellent #2 for a team with a strong playmaker.... not convinced any team with him as the best player will ever go anywhere.
illmatic24
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,027

Post#117 » by illmatic24 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:55 am

LipSkinMatter wrote:

Personality/leadership wise, he was a failure. Nobody seemed to like him, he couldn't bring guys together, he was moody, he turned into a drama queen at the trade deadline until the end of the season. Stats wise, he was Kyrie, yeah. The only real disappointment on the Celtics was Tatum because he didn't take the step forward that most people thought he would. He got to play with Horford who was great. Nobody should have expected much from Hayward this season so I'll consider that a wash. It's not a terrible team outside of Kyrie. I'd take the Celtics minus Kyrie over the Nets roster without Kyrie.
LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man

Post#118 » by LipSkinMatter » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:55 am

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
LipSkinMatter wrote:

Excellent is a stretch.

He was good.

He's not good enough to be a number 1 option though and their overall talent is definitely overrated.

No, he was excellent. 14th in WS/48 (which favors PF and C's) and 4th among guards. 12th in PER and 3rd among guards. The dude was a straight beast this season. The only guard who was significantly better was Harden.
LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man

Post#119 » by LipSkinMatter » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:56 am

LKN wrote:
LipSkinMatter wrote:
LKN wrote:

Kyrie Irving makes an excellent #2 for a team with a strong playmaker.... not convinced any team with him as the best player will ever go anywhere.

Well yeah, it's the NBA so unless your best player is in the top 5 you probably aren't winning the chip. But not every team gets one of those guys, y'know?
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,528

Re: Woj: Kyrie and His Longtime Agent Have Parted Ways 

Post#120 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:56 am

BVB24 wrote:
JohnPferdelack wrote:Which means for kyrie now lakers over now?

Sent from my SM-G930F using RealGM mobile app

No it means he’s almost certainly signing with the Nets now. Roc Nation Sports is owned by Jay-Z, who also has ties to the Nets.

Does Jay-Z have ties to the Nets? Ratner brought him into the Nets ownership. He's since sold his shares. Is Jay-Z any closer to Prokhorov or Tsai than LeBron?

Not to say Kyrie won't sign with the Nets, but only 1 out of 12 Roc Nation NBA clients play for the Nets. 2 play for the Raptors though, Kyrie could be headed there since it's Roc Nation's favorite NBA team.

Return to The General Board