Woj: Celtics and Lakers Engaged with Pelicans on Anthony Davis Trade

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,269

Re: Woj: Celtics and Lakers Engaged with Pelicans on Anthony Davis Trade 

Post#341 » by mtron929 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:56 am

laika wrote:
mtron929 wrote:
laika wrote:So the rumor is that the Lakers are offering Ingram/Ball/4th pick.

The Pelicans should take that. No one is going to give a better offer than that for a player on a 1 year contract who could just leave after.

Ainge can top it with Tatum/Smart/14th pick, 20th pick, Memphis pick. And he should. AD is no different from anyone else who is in their mid 20's. You are extremely fickle about where you want to live and after 1 year worth of time, he can grow to like Boston. It happens to a lot of people whether they are rich or poor.

WAYYYY too risky. You gut your team for a possible one year rental? That would be insane.
The Lakers can only offer so much because they need Davis immediately and he wants to play there.

Couple of things.

1) You don't know if he is leaving after on year. You would be surprised at how much one year can make a difference on a person's perspective on his new location. Moreover, I would take the bet that either (a) LA is not going to have cap space come 2020/2021 season or (b) Lebron will have regressed to the point that even AD can see that LA is a sinking ship come 2020/2021.

2) I see this "gut the team" being floating around about the Celtics, but what are they really gutting? Tatum? Yeah, he is a solid young player with lots of talent, but that is really about it. Smart has a very low ceiling and is just a solid role player. 14th/20th picks do not amount to much. So from the Celtics POV, they are not sacrificing much, especially given that the Celtics are going for broke (a championship) and will not be satisfied with middling teams led by Tatum/Brown for the next 4-5 years. The time to strike is now for Ainge or the Celtics are done for the next few years.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#342 » by Spens1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:59 am

Would the Celtics really give up Tatum for what could be a rental (essentially that's what it is because the lakers are giving up Ingram and that 4th which is more valuable than any celtic asset otherwise).

Ainge doesn't make desperate moves and this would reek of a desperate move. Also even if Davis is happy in Boston (and i have no doubt he may end up being happy). Rich Paul alone will make the celtics life a misery for the next year and they just going through half a season of Kyrie's nonsense (and he seems like he's going to Brooklyn or at least anywhere that isn't the celtics).

The Knicks i would get because they're trying to be attractive to F.A's, the Celtics on the other hand, unless they ditch Horford and Hayward aren't at the free agency races and even with Davis would be still behind Toronto (provided Leonard stays) and probably Philly and Millwauke.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,374

Post#343 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:59 am

I dont think it should stop the celtics.

Kawhi was supposedly for only 1 year, but now the raps are in the finals and there isa legit chance that he might actually stay. I think most Raptor fans would be pleased with the outcome of the trade and well worth it.

C's can make a final run, he might love playing for stevens, ..... who knows.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,277

Post#344 » by TheHartBreakKid » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:05 am

I come in peace when I say this celtic fans....

But I really don't understand why so many Celtic fans are for a potential AD trade given his message that he won't resign there, and I wonder if screwing the Lakers along the way is extra motivation for that. I understand it's temping to screw the LAkers and of course it's tempting to hope for convincing him to stay, considering how it worked out for the Thunder and is looking pretty good for the Raptors, but imagine giving up Tatum and losing AD to the Lakers in the offseason while LA retains their core. To me,if i was a Celtic fan, that's unacceptable. Ainge should be fired if that happens and he may never get another job in this league for taking such a stupid risk.

If you can get him without giving up Tatum, then sure, by all means, Brown and other assets is something you are willing to part with if you are the Celtics, but Tatum? Especially if Kyrie is gone? That's unacceptable if I'm a Celtics fan.

Anyways I think if Ainge was serious about involving Tatum this trade would have been done already. As I've said before, it's in the Celtics and Pelicans best interest to pretend like a deal is possible even if they have no intention of a trade.

Boston can't top LA's package without including Tatum, and they would be ridiculously foolish to include Tatum and I'm willing to bet that they won't/haven't consider that.

AD will be a Laker unless NYK or The Clippers get involved. After today's Kyrie news, both Boston and BK are out of it imo.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,976

Post#345 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:29 am

TheHartBreakKid wrote:I come in peace when I say this celtic fans....

But I really don't understand why so many Celtic fans are for a potential AD trade given his message that he won't resign there, and I wonder if screwing the Lakers along the way is extra motivation for that. I understand it's temping to screw the LAkers and of course it's tempting to hope for convincing him to stay, considering how it worked out for the Thunder and is looking pretty good for the Raptors, but imagine giving up Tatum and losing AD to the Lakers in the offseason while LA retains their core. To me,if i was a Celtic fan, that's unacceptable. Ainge should be fired if that happens and he may never get another job in this league for taking such a stupid risk.

If you can get him without giving up Tatum, then sure, by all means, Brown and other assets is something you are willing to part with if you are the Celtics, but Tatum? Especially if Kyrie is gone? That's unacceptable if I'm a Celtics fan.

Anyways I think if Ainge was serious about involving Tatum this trade would have been done already. As I've said before, it's in the Celtics and Pelicans best interest to pretend like a deal is possible even if they have no intention of a trade.

Boston can't top LA's package without including Tatum, and they would be ridiculously foolish to include Tatum and I'm willing to bet that they won't/haven't consider that.

AD will be a Laker unless NYK or The Clippers get involved. After today's Kyrie news, both Boston and BK are out of it imo.

I think it isn't terribly hard to talk yourself into thinking you can get AD to stay if you are Boston though you have to make a move for a vet PG if Kyrie leaves (Mike Conley for instance). There are reports that Lebron may be unhappy and ask for a trade if the Lakers strike out in both FA and on an AD trade. Woj said the Lakers aren't leading with any of the top free agents and so Boston snagging AD may really make things hectic for them. Lebron may not want to wait another year to actually compete and thus ask out. If that happens, does AD want to go to the Lebron-less Lakers when they aren't true contenders? I think he'd prefer somewhere more competitive.

I realize LAL doesn't have to trade Lebron even if he asks out. Boston also would likely have to make a run in the playoffs to show AD they are possible contenders or else risk losing him to a more competitive team in the offseason. Just wanted to point out why Boston fans may think they can retain him if they get him similar to OKC and possibly Toronto with their "rentals who only want LA".
JimmyTheGreek
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,051

Post#346 » by JimmyTheGreek » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:35 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,277

Post#347 » by TheHartBreakKid » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:54 am

VCfor3 wrote:
TheHartBreakKid wrote:I come in peace when I say this celtic fans....

I think it isn't terribly hard to talk yourself into thinking you can get AD to stay if you are Boston though you have to make a move for a vet PG if Kyrie leaves (Mike Conley for instance). There are reports that Lebron may be unhappy and ask for a trade if the Lakers strike out in both FA and on an AD trade. Woj said the Lakers aren't leading with any of the top free agents and so Boston snagging AD may really make things hectic for them. Lebron may not want to wait another year to actually compete and thus ask out. If that happens, does AD want to go to the Lebron-less Lakers when they aren't true contenders? I think he'd prefer somewhere more competitive.

I realize LAL doesn't have to trade Lebron even if he asks out. Boston also would likely have to make a run in the playoffs to show AD they are possible contenders or else risk losing him to a more competitive team in the offseason. Just wanted to point out why Boston fans may think they can retain him if they get him similar to OKC and possibly Toronto with their "rentals who only want LA".

I agree that a year could change a lot of things regarding AD coming to the Lakers, but even if the Lakers are out of the running, the Knicks and Clippers, and maybe the Nets with Kyrie, will still be more appealing than a capped out Celtic team without their young players.

Look, with Kyrie still there, I would understand this risk, but without Kyrie? It's an extremely foolish potential move from Ainge, when you factor out the emotions and the Laker aspect of it all.
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#348 » by L3GEND4RY » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:57 am

laika wrote:
mtron929 wrote:

The Pelicans should take that. No one is going to give a better offer than that for a player on a 1 year contract who could just leave after.

Ainge can top it with Tatum/Smart/14th pick, 20th pick, Memphis pick. And he should. AD is no different from anyone else who is in their mid 20's. You are extremely fickle about where you want to live and after 1 year worth of time, he can grow to like Boston. It happens to a lot of people whether they are rich or poor.

WAYYYY too risky. You gut your team for a possible one year rental? That would be insane.
The Lakers can only offer so much because they need Davis immediately and he wants to play there.

I think Ainge understands the risks here. This is the guy he’s waited for. He’s probably already accounted for Kyrie leaving and know’s he will need to made an additional trade or two. What **** us is him leaving for nothing but it is what it is.

If we do get him by some miracle, I’d keep an eye on the friction within the Lakers if they completely strike out in FA and LeBron wants out. All unlikely but not impossible.

Signature by freshcontrast
MyBoyBlu
Junior
And1: 283

Post#349 » by MyBoyBlu » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:59 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:I dont think it should stop the celtics.

Kawhi was supposedly for only 1 year, but now the raps are in the finals and there isa legit chance that he might actually stay. I think most Raptor fans would be pleased with the outcome of the trade and well worth it.

Yeah but the Raptors gave up esentially nothing. Celtics would be moving key pieces of their future for a one year rental.
Nick Sigler
Pro Prospect
And1: 703

Post#350 » by Nick Sigler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:04 am

The Celtics pursuit of AD only made sense if they thought Kyrie might stay and that getting AD might persuade him to say (and in turn would maybe persuade AD to stay).

Kyrie switching agents to me seems like a shot across the bow to let everyone involved here know that he’s gone.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,374

Post#351 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:09 am

MyBoyBlu wrote:

Yeah but the Raptors gave up esentially nothing. Celtics would be moving key pieces of their future for a one year rental.

It wasnt nothing though.

DD has accomplished more than anyone else the C's are offering; he was an all star that was locked into a contract. Poetl was an up and coming c that looked good early on. And a first round pick. This looks bad now because the spurs are at home while the raptors are still playing.

The C's are offering up potential for possibly one year. Sure, they could all blow up and AD could get hurt and leave. But on the other hand, tatum and Brown could have peaked and the pick could bust while AD leads you to the finals.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#352 » by NBAFan93 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:09 am

Thoughts on the Celtics...

If Kyrie does in fact leave the Celtics, that’s not a good sign about them being able to retain a rental and sell him on the franchise - maybe Kyrie is just weird, but it seems like some other franchises have done a better job with that lately (Toronto possibly and OKC for sure). They need to analyze went went wrong here and be comfortable or won’t happen again or otherwise forget it.

So say they loose Kyrie, don’t give up their assets and stay with their current roster w/ no cap space - are they going to be comfortable w/ that? Is that going to contend? Is that going to keep their fanbase excited and the media interested? I’m not sure. And are Tatum and Brown and those picks really all that? I mean are they really these big future superstars everyone is making them out to be? If they aren’t, maybe it’s not as big of a deal as people are saying to let them go...guess people get so caught up in this fear of letting losing assets for nothing, but sometimes you got to take a chance to contend. Of course, AD really isn’t on the level of Kawhi, so maybe it’s not the same as Toronto.
VCBC
Senior
And1: 1,114

Post#353 » by VCBC » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:11 am

L3GEND4RY wrote:
laika wrote:
mtron929 wrote:

I think Ainge understands the risks here. This is the guy he’s waited for. He’s probably already accounted for Kyrie leaving and know’s he will need to made an additional trade or two. What **** us is him leaving for nothing but it is what it is.

If we do get him by some miracle, I’d keep an eye on the friction within the Lakers if they completely strike out in FA and LeBron wants out. All unlikely but not impossible.

An angle that many don't consider. If GMs keep AD from LAL, that team is going to implode and we'll see how much AD wants to play there w LBJ a year older and BI is renounced.

Just like the stock market, NBA isn't a 0 sum game...
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#354 » by TMU » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:17 am

What more does Kyrie want? Ainge has allowed him full control of the franchise and is also doing his best to acquire talents to help him. Leaving the Celtics would be a mistake imo.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#355 » by LKN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:18 am

If Boston does get AD... I find it hard to believe that the LAL punt on another season. That means they likely take them out of the AD running for 2020. I mean if the Lakers strike out this postseason there's a good chance the Lebron ends up being a failure. Given his age they have to get something this offseason.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#356 » by NBAFan93 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:19 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
MyBoyBlu wrote:

It wasnt nothing though.

DD has accomplished more than anyone else the C's are offering; he was an all star that was locked into a contract. Poetl was an up and coming c that looked good early on. And a first round pick. This looks bad now because the spurs are at home while the raptors are still playing.

The C's are offering up potential for possibly one year. Sure, they could all blow up and AD could get hurt and leave. But on the other hand, tatum and Brown could have peaked and the pick could bust while AD leads you to the finals.

I agree w/ a lot of these points. And yes, DD is a much more accomplished player than these Celtics guys everyone is so afraid to give up. Maybe everyone is overvaluing them.

But on the same lines, I’m not convinced AD can have as much impact on winning as Kawhi either. I’m not sure what I’d want if I was a Celtics fan. I’m really not.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,667

Post#357 » by Pointgod » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:21 am

I knew it would come down to this. I told people months ago that the Lakers offer at the deadline was more than fair, now it looks like this is the best offer so far. I don’t believe Danny Ainge for a second is serious about taking a gamble on AD. This is as good a deal for a player hell bent on leaving that you’re going to get.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#358 » by Metallikid » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:23 am

Anyone think the Bulls might try to get in on this? Maybe Porter plus picks and go with a AD/Lauri//Dunn core? You could do worse.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,660

Post#359 » by VanWest82 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:24 am

Did Baynes actually opt in to 5M with the Celtics? He couldn't have gotten more than that in free agency?
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,667

Post#360 » by Pointgod » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:26 am

LKN wrote:If Boston does get AD... I find it hard to believe that the LAL punt on another season. That means they likely take them out of the AD running for 2020. I mean if the Lakers strike out this postseason there's a good chance the Lebron ends up being a failure. Given his age they have to get something this offseason.

If Boston trades for AD then LA should just do what the Hawks did and take on salary for some draft picks, trade Ingram for some 1 year vet help and picks, sign some **** shooters and wait for AD. You don’t get the luxury of having 3 allstars that trading for him would get you, but you’ve just put yourself in a great position to trade for one.

Return to The General Board