Woj: Celtics and Lakers Engaged with Pelicans on Anthony Davis Trade

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,395

Re: Woj: Celtics and Lakers Engaged with Pelicans on Anthony Davis Trade 

Post#361 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:27 am

TMU wrote:What more does Kyrie want? Ainge has allowed him full control of the franchise and is also doing his best to acquire talents to help him. Leaving the Celtics would be a mistake imo.

Just a thought:

I think he wants to win and be "the man" responsible for those wins. Since he didnt do it in Boston, maybe he thinks the team was the problem and not him. So, he will try again with the nets.
VCBC
Senior
And1: 1,114

Post#362 » by VCBC » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:27 am

Pointgod wrote:
laika wrote:So the rumor is that the Lakers are offering Ingram/Ball/4th pick.

The Pelicans should take that. No one is going to give a better offer than that for a player on a 1 year contract who could just leave after.

I knew it would come down to this. I told people months ago that the Lakers offer at the deadline was more than fair, now it looks like this is the best offer so far. I don’t believe Danny Ainge for a second is serious about taking a gamble on AD. This is as good a deal for a player hell bent on leaving that you’re going to get.

You must be a Lakers' cheerleader bc there's not a chance you honestly think that BI, LB and #4 is the best NO can do. That offer will easily get beaten by many teams even for a 1 year rental.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#363 » by NBAFan93 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:28 am

Spens1 wrote:Would the Celtics really give up Tatum for what could be a rental (essentially that's what it is because the lakers are giving up Ingram and that 4th which is more valuable than any celtic asset otherwise).

Ainge doesn't make desperate moves and this would reek of a desperate move. Also even if Davis is happy in Boston (and i have no doubt he may end up being happy). Rich Paul alone will make the celtics life a misery for the next year and they just going through half a season of Kyrie's nonsense (and he seems like he's going to Brooklyn or at least anywhere that isn't the celtics).

The Knicks i would get because they're trying to be attractive to F.A's, the Celtics on the other hand, unless they ditch Horford and Hayward aren't at the free agency races and even with Davis would be still behind Toronto (provided Leonard stays) and probably Philly and Millwauke.

Lakers would give up those players even if they knew AD was a rental is the difference between them and the Celtics (them knowing he’d resign makes it even more of a no brainer). Lakers know those players aren’t anything cause they haven’t been able to win squat with them yet and probably don’t want to pay Ingram in the summer regardless (they’d probably rather have the cap space).

Because of the 2018 playoffs the Celtics probably believe their two guys are their future, but the Lakers don’t feel the same about what they are offering. Ainge needs to look hard at those two guys and make certain he really thinks they are worth it in the sense that he would pay them serious money if they were RFAs or not.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#364 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:28 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
TMU wrote:What more does Kyrie want? Ainge has allowed him full control of the franchise and is also doing his best to acquire talents to help him. Leaving the Celtics would be a mistake imo.

Just a thought:

I think he wants to win and be "the man" responsible for those wins. Since he didnt do it in Boston, maybe he thinks the team was the problem and not him. So, he will try again with the nets.

Maybe he's just one of those perpetually unhappy people who always think things will be better somewhere else?
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#365 » by TMU » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:29 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:

Just a thought:

You aremost likely right, but just a really bizarre mindset imo. Ainge could easy shuffle his roster and retool around Kyrie.
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,105

Post#366 » by heatwillbeback » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:31 am

TMU wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

Just a thought:

You aremost likely right, but just a really bizarre mindset imo. Ainge could easy shuffle his roster and retool around Kyrie.

Maybe, but he gave two years and all Ainge did was punt on moves and hold on to his assets.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#367 » by LKN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:32 am

Pointgod wrote:
LKN wrote:If Boston does get AD... I find it hard to believe that the LAL punt on another season. That means they likely take them out of the AD running for 2020. I mean if the Lakers strike out this postseason there's a good chance the Lebron ends up being a failure. Given his age they have to get something this offseason.

If Boston trades for AD then LA should just do what the Hawks did and take on salary for some draft picks, trade Ingram for some 1 year vet help and picks, sign some **** shooters and wait for AD. You don’t get the luxury of having 3 allstars that trading for him would get you, but you’ve just put yourself in a great position to trade for one.

How can they possibly punt on another year of Lebron's career? I mean he'll be 36 by the time they get AD.
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#368 » by bulliedog8 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:32 am

Metallikid wrote:Anyone think the Bulls might try to get in on this? Maybe Porter plus picks and go with a AD/Lauri//Dunn core? You could do worse.

I wish the bulls would and also that AD would re-sign.

Bulls: AD, Solomon hill

Pelicans: 7, Wendell, valentine, Dunn, and 38
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#369 » by L3GEND4RY » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:33 am

TMU wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

Just a thought:

He’d have to overhaul the roster. Kyrie alienated most of the young guys especially with the post-game pressers. Having Kyrie as the main guy isn’t a winning formula. Him and Rozier caused absolute hell.

Signature by freshcontrast
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,671

Post#370 » by Pointgod » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:35 am

VCBC wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
laika wrote:So the rumor is that the Lakers are offering Ingram/Ball/4th pick.

The Pelicans should take that. No one is going to give a better offer than that for a player on a 1 year contract who could just leave after.

I knew it would come down to this. I told people months ago that the Lakers offer at the deadline was more than fair, now it looks like this is the best offer so far. I don’t believe Danny Ainge for a second is serious about taking a gamble on AD. This is as good a deal for a player hell bent on leaving that you’re going to get.

You must be a Lakers' cheerleader bc there's not a chance you honestly think that BI, LB and #4 is the best NO can do. That offer will easily get beaten by many teams even for a 1 year rental.

Tell me a reasonable offer on a one year rental that beats this. The general board is full of people that know nothing about basketball and how these scenarios play out. Right now the only serious teams in the AD hunt are Lakers and maybe Boston. Rich Paul just came out and said AD is testing fee agency. We heard reports AD told him to get him to the Lakers. I maybe a Lakers cheerleader but you’re delusional if you don’t think that offer is the best the Pelicans will get.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets

Post#371 » by TMU » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:38 am

heatwillbeback wrote:
TMU wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Just a thought:

Maybe, but he gave two years and all Ainge did was punt on moves and hold on to his assets.

Sure, but it was only 2 years though. I don't think you can expect to win a championship in short stretch and expect the remainder of the league to just sit. :shrugs:
VCBC
Senior

Post#372 » by VCBC » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:39 am

Pointgod wrote:
VCBC wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

Tell me a reasonable offer on a one year rental that beats this. The general board is full of people that know nothing about basketball and how these scenarios play out. Right now the only serious teams in the AD hunt are Lakers and maybe Boston. Rich Paul just came out and said AD is testing fee agency. We heard reports AD told him to get him to the Lakers. I maybe a Lakers cheerleader but you’re delusional if you don’t think that offer is the best the Pelicans will get.

You admitted you're a Lakers' cheerleader so what's the point? This thread is full of trade ideas that are better than that poo poo platter so look for yourself. You think one thing while proclaiming that others know nothing about these situations and genuinely believe BI, Ball and #4 is the best offer.

Ever try talking to a wall?
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets

Post#373 » by TMU » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:39 am

L3GEND4RY wrote:
TMU wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Just a thought:

He’d have to overhaul the roster. Kyrie alienated most of the young guys especially with the post-game pressers. Having Kyrie as the main guy isn’t a winning formula. Him and Rozier caused absolute hell.

I think it's Kyrie or neither. I just don't think Rozier has the talent to run an offense. He's also a subpar shooter.
RakimAbdulJabar
Analyst
And1: 4,180

Post#374 » by RakimAbdulJabar » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:45 am

bulliedog8 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:Anyone think the Bulls might try to get in on this? Maybe Porter plus picks and go with a AD/Lauri//Dunn core? You could do worse.

I wish the bulls would and also that AD would re-sign.

Bulls: AD, Solomon hill

Pelicans: 7, Wendell, valentine, Dunn, and 38

1. The Pelicans would laugh and hang up

2. The salaries are at least 20 million off from matching such a trade
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,105

Post#375 » by heatwillbeback » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:45 am

TMU wrote:
heatwillbeback wrote:
TMU wrote:

Sure, but it was only 2 years though. I don't think you can expect to win a championship in short stretch and expect the remainder of the league to just sit. :shrugs:

Its quite possible. He has the assets to quickly turn them into a contender.

But the past few years to me has shown Ainge is a hoarder who is afraid to pull the trigger. I fully expect him to give up on AD because thats what he has proven to be.

He has three firsts this year. Didn't he have 5 a few years ago? A third of a roster on meh rookies sure helped them get over the hump!
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,147

Post#376 » by Slim Charless » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:46 am

mtron929 wrote:
laika wrote:
mtron929 wrote:
Ainge can top it with Tatum/Smart/14th pick, 20th pick, Memphis pick. And he should. AD is no different from anyone else who is in their mid 20's. You are extremely fickle about where you want to live and after 1 year worth of time, he can grow to like Boston. It happens to a lot of people whether they are rich or poor.

WAYYYY too risky. You gut your team for a possible one year rental? That would be insane.
The Lakers can only offer so much because they need Davis immediately and he wants to play there.

Couple of things.

1) You don't know if he is leaving after on year. You would be surprised at how much one year can make a difference on a person's perspective on his new location. Moreover, I would take the bet that either (a) LA is not going to have cap space come 2020/2021 season or (b) Lebron will have regressed to the point that even AD can see that LA is a sinking ship come 2020/2021.

2) I see this "gut the team" being floating around about the Celtics, but what are they really gutting? Tatum? Yeah, he is a solid young player with lots of talent, but that is really about it. Smart has a very low ceiling and is just a solid role player. 14th/20th picks do not amount to much. So from the Celtics POV, they are not sacrificing much, especially given that the Celtics are going for broke (a championship) and will not be satisfied with middling teams led by Tatum/Brown for the next 4-5 years. The time to strike is now for Ainge or the Celtics are done for the next few years.

If the celts can hold onto Brown then AD is worth Tatum, Smart, and whatever various picks. If not, and they have to give up both that's 1 hell of a gamble.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,348

Post#377 » by reload141 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:46 am

SO much this. But, he wants to go home so really nothing more we could do.
Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,642

Post#378 » by Sign5 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:47 am

Zo feeding Zion lobs on the break would be sweet. That team would be a defensive nightmare potentially as well.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,671

Post#379 » by Pointgod » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:47 am

VCBC wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
VCBC wrote:You must be a Lakers' cheerleader bc there's not a chance you honestly think that BI, LB and #4 is the best NO can do. That offer will easily get beaten by many teams even for a 1 year rental.

You admitted you're a Lakers' cheerleader so what's the point? This thread is full of trade ideas that are better than that poo poo platter so look for yourself. You think one thing while proclaiming that others know nothing about these situations and genuinely believe BI, Ball and #4 is the best offer.

Come on smart guy give me a trade offer. There are a lot of dumbasses on the general board that believe Ball and Ingram have no value, they certainly have their flaws but I’m going to take the opinions of NBA executives and actual talent evaluators over the arm chair GMs on this board. But please since you think you’re so knowledgeable let’s see these 1 year rental trades that beat that Lakers offer.
VCBC
Senior

Post#380 » by VCBC » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:50 am

Pointgod wrote:
VCBC wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

Come on smart guy give me a trade offer. There are a lot of dumbasses on the general board that believe Ball and Ingram have no value, they certainly have their flaws but I’m going to take the opinions of NBA executives and actual talent evaluators over the arm chair GMs on this board. But please since you think you’re so knowledgeable let’s see these 1 year rental trades that beat that Lakers offer.

Return to The General Board