Anyone else get a Starbury vibe from Kyrie Irving?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Is Kyrie the second coming of Starbury?

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes: 118

Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Re: Anyone else get a Starbury vibe from... 

Post#41 » by Rockice_24 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:Starbury did some great stuff with his shoes

+1

As crazy as he was that was one of the nicest things he did to get good basketball shoes in the hands of people that can't pay $150+ a pair.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#42 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:07 pm

Ckay wrote:

LMAO at the highlight of Randolph
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,176

Post#43 » by donnieme » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:20 pm

Ckay wrote:

Remember how this was used to mercilessly troll Rgm knick fans for years :rofl: "They scared now"
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,785

Post#44 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:56 pm

Hard to get that vibe, because Marbury was such unique fall from grace situation, but its a fascinating comparison, props to OP.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#45 » by Spens1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:09 pm

otmshank1 wrote:
Spens1 wrote:He's not nearly as bad :lol: He's pretty much the root cause of all of the problems that the knicks had (other than Dolan himself of course) in the mid 2000's.

People still refer to people 'pulling a marbury' on here almost 15 years after all that drama went down there. The only other player i've heard referred to when talking about NBA drama that far after is Latrell Sprewell (both that '12 million isn't enough to feed my family' and him strangling his coach).

Is that good ol JR :lol:
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Anyone else get a Starbury vibe from Kyrie Irving? 

Post#46 » by Prokorov » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:32 pm

Karate Diop wrote:Anyone else get a Starbury vibe from Kyrie?

Immensely talented, unable to lead, forced his way out of an ideal situation as a #2 to try and be a #1, etc.

When did marbury win a title?
when did marbury lead a team to 55+ wins as a #1?

The "kyrie unable to lead" thing is misplaced... yeah he cant lead ego maniac young kids who think their crap doesnt stink (Rozier) on a team he never wanted to be on from day 1.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,592

Post#47 » by bisme37 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:59 pm

Prokorov wrote:

Immensely talented, unable to lead, forced his way out of an ideal situation as a #2 to try and be a #1, etc.

The "kyrie unable to lead" thing is misplaced... yeah he cant lead ego maniac young kids who think their crap doesnt stink (Rozier) on a team he never wanted to be on from day 1.

You're not paying attention...

What’s interesting to some is even that Irving is so potentially available this summer. When teams were trying to get into the race for him two years ago, they were informed by his side that he would definitely not re-sign with them.

“We were told that the team he wanted to go to was getting ready to trade for him,” said one general manager. “And that team was Boston. So the Celtics were where he wanted to go. He got what he wanted. Now here we are two years later. Crazy.”

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/05/18/celtics-still-want-to-be-the-ones-to-pay-kyrie-irving-but-possibilities-abound/

Read on Twitter

He wanted to be in Boston and once he was in Boston for a year he committed to staying there. I know you hate the C's and are intentionally dismissing any and all of Kyrie's faults, but I like the Nets and I worry that a month after he goes there he will regret his choice and blame everyone around him for his perceived grievances and your team will suddenly be a complete mess.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#48 » by Prokorov » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:22 pm

bisme37 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

You're not paying attention...

What’s interesting to some is even that Irving is so potentially available this summer. When teams were trying to get into the race for him two years ago, they were informed by his side that he would definitely not re-sign with them.

“We were told that the team he wanted to go to was getting ready to trade for him,” said one general manager. “And that team was Boston. So the Celtics were where he wanted to go. He got what he wanted. Now here we are two years later. Crazy.”

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/05/18/celtics-still-want-to-be-the-ones-to-pay-kyrie-irving-but-possibilities-abound/

Read on Twitter

He wanted to be in Boston and once he was in Boston for a year he committed to staying there. I know you hate the C's and are intentionally dismissing any and all of Kyrie's faults, but I like the Nets and I worry that a month after he goes there he will regret his choice and blame everyone around him for his perceived grievances and your team will suddenly be a complete mess.

i dont hate the celtics. they are one of the few boston teams i like. i go to 20 or so games a year and have friends who work in production for the team. i like stevens and some of the holdovers from the IT led team. i dont love rozier and tatum, but whatever.

he never wanted to be there. i know this first hand to be a fact.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,842

Post#49 » by Karate Diop » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Prokorov wrote:

1. Marbury never played with LeBron... Which is the only reason Kyrie has a title.

2. It's kind of misleading to make the claim that Kyrie led the Celtics to 55+ wins as a #1 when Kyrie only played in 60 of 82 games that year and did not play in 14 of the Celtics 55 wins that year... And while the Celtics overall record with Kyrie DID have them on pace to win 56 games - it's important to note that the Celtics were 10-10 over their last 20 games with Kyrie, a significant slowdown from their start of season record that year and arguably a sign of things to come - as this past season the Celtics went 37-30 with Kyrie in the lineup (45 win pace).

It'd be one thing if Kyrie had a history of leading teams to 55+ wins year in and year out... But no matter how you try to spin it... He doesn't.

3. I agree that Rozier is trash and that Jaylen Brown didn't handle his demotion well... But come on, you're better than that, Kyrie and his fake intellectual act don't inspire anyone.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#50 » by Prokorov » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:06 pm

Karate Diop wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

1. Marbury never played with LeBron... Which is the only reason Kyrie has a title.

2. It's kind of misleading to make the claim that Kyrie led the Celtics to 55+ wins as a #1 when Kyrie only played in 60 of 82 games that year and did not play in 14 of the Celtics 55 wins that year... And while the Celtics overall record with Kyrie DID have them on pace to win 56 games - it's important to note that the Celtics were 10-10 over their last 20 games with Kyrie, a significant slowdown from their start of season record that year and arguably a sign of things to come - as this past season the Celtics went 37-30 with Kyrie in the lineup (45 win pace).

It'd be one thing if Kyrie had a history of leading teams to 55+ wins year in and year out... But no matter how you try to spin it... He doesn't.

3. I agree that Rozier is trash and that Jaylen Brown didn't handle his demotion well... But come on, you're better than that, Kyrie and his fake intellectual act don't inspire anyone.

kyrie won a title as the second best player on his team and hit the biggest shot of the series. that is fact, it cant be taken away. lebron has 3 titles, not 20. he has played with alot of guys, they dont all have rings. lebron just missed the playoffs. everyone needs help.

the list of guys who can win a title as a #1 with no help is like 5 names long all-time
TDotJon
Junior
And1: 514

Post#51 » by TDotJon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:23 pm

so is Kyrie going to China and becoming a superstar?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,115

Post#52 » by blueNorange » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:28 pm

i love a good starbury ribbing thread, but lets not forget that he still owns his own sneaker company that provides sneakers at a low $15 because kids in poverty should look and feel good too.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.

Return to The General Board