ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread ‘19-'20 I: Big decisions on the horizon

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Should we resign Vuc/Ross

Yes
34%
Yes, but just Vuc
7%
Yes, but just Ross
40%
No
18%

Total votes: 126

KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,006

Re: Official Speculation Thread ‘19-'20 I: Big decisions on the horizon 

Post#1201 » by KillMonger » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:25 pm

Pick #4 in a 3 man draft...... Hmmmm

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1202 » by MoMM » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:18 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:If they want to take a swing, they could take Reddish.

You mean if you want to take a bust, right?

Jokes aside, Hunter is more like a SF, not a PF like AG.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#1203 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:36 pm

MoMM wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:If they want to take a swing, they could take Reddish.

You mean if you want to take a bust, right?

Jokes aside, Hunter is more like a SF, not a PF like AG.

Yeah, well, a boom or bust player would be taking a swing right?

I see Hunter as a SF too. He would still replicate AG's defensive ability with similar (maybe better?) shooting. He'd also allow JI to play the 4 full time. Could be a good fit if WeHam wanted to go this route. In this situation, I'd take Culver and go all in on D'Lo but that's all a pipe dream.
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#1204 » by magicman112 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:46 pm

drsd wrote:
Skybox wrote:What's the big flaw with Aubrey Dawkins?...good size, shoots great, delivered in big moments, coach's kid, athletic

Really???

I projects as a career G-leaguer.

They didn't have to fly him in and put him up since he's local. And makes for good PR to work him out.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,310

Post#1205 » by Knightro » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Gordon for 4 is super interesting and something I would absolutely do if it meant actually unloading Gordon's salary for very little $ in return.

Hypothetical...

To LA: Davis
To ORL: 4th pick
To NOP: Ingram, Kuzma, Gordon, 2021 1st from LA, 2019 2nd from ORL

If the Magic could shed AG's 19.8M for next year without bringing much salary back (this is possible because LA has cap space to absorb $), then they could stretch Mozgov and save another 11.15M. That would give them enough legitimate cap space to offer Russell a massive contract while still being able to retain Vucevic or Ross.

This is how the salary situation would look heading into free agency...

Vucevic 19.12 cap hold
Fournier 17
Ross 15.75 cap hold
Fultz 9.74
Augustin 7.25
Isaac 5.80
Bamba 5.69
Mozgov STRETCHED 5.57
Birch 1.81
Iwundu 1.61
Frazier 1.41
4th pick 5.8
16th pick 2.59
Watson STRETCHED .33

The Magic would have about 10M in cap space. That number would shoot up to about 26M if they renounced Ross. Would a deal starting at 26M be enough to land Russell?

If it wasn't enough, the Magic could free up addition cap space by not tending Birch a qualifying offer and declining their team option on Iwundu. Those two moves would free up another 3.42M or so in space, which would make the Year 1 salary for Russell over 29M at that point.

OR...

The Magic could opt to let Vucevic walk and retain Ross' cap hold and they'd have even more space to chase Russell.

Then in the draft Magic if they were so inclined could go Garland at 4 and Herro at 16 and just give this roster a massive jolt of shooting.

If they decided they didn't need Garland because they were able to land Russell, then they could continue to play the size on the wing game and replace Gordon's spot with Hunter or Reddish at 4 which would allow Isaac to play his more natural PF.

A lot of really fun possibilities if NOP is interested in AG.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,775

Post#1206 » by OrlandoNed » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:54 pm

Knightro wrote:Gordon for 4 is super interesting and something I would absolutely do if it meant actually unloading Gordon's salary for very little $ in return.

Hypothetical...

If the Magic could shed AG's 19.8M for next year without bringing much salary back (this is possible because LA has cap space to absorb $), then they could stretch Mozgov and save another 11.15M. That would give them enough legitimate cap space to offer Russell a massive contract while still being able to retain Vucevic or Ross.

Vucevic 19.12 cap hold
Fournier 17
Ross 15.75 cap hold
Fultz 9.74
Augustin 7.25
Isaac 5.80
Bamba 5.69
Mozgov STRETCHED 5.57
Birch 1.81
Iwundu 1.61
Frazier 1.41
4th pick 5.8
16th pick 2.59
Watson STRETCHED .33

The Magic would have about 10M in cap space. That number would shoot up to about 26M if they renounced Ross. Would a deal starting at 26M be enough to land Russell?

If it wasn't enough, the Magic could free up addition cap space by not tending Birch a qualifying offer and declining their team option on Iwundu. Those two moves would free up another 3.42M or so in space, which would make the Year 1 salary for Russell over 29M at that point.

OR...

The Magic could opt to let Vucevic walk and retain Ross' cap hold and they'd have even more space to chase Russell.

Then in the draft Magic if they were so inclined could go Garland at 4 and Herro at 16 and just give this roster a massive jolt of shooting.

If they decided they didn't need Garland because they were able to land Russell, then they could continue to play the size on the wing game and replace Gordon's spot with Hunter or Reddish at 4 which would allow Isaac to play his more natural PF.

I think Kuzma wouldn't be in this deal. LA really wants to keep him and I don't think NO would want AG, Kuzma and Zion all at PF.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach

Post#1207 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:02 pm

Knightro wrote:Gordon for 4 is super interesting and something I would absolutely do if it meant actually unloading Gordon's salary for very little $ in return.

Hypothetical...

Vucevic 19.12 cap hold
Fournier 17
Ross 15.75 cap hold
Fultz 9.74
Augustin 7.25
Isaac 5.80
Bamba 5.69
Mozgov STRETCHED 5.57
Birch 1.81
Iwundu 1.61
Frazier 1.41
4th pick 5.8
16th pick 2.59
Watson STRETCHED .33

OR...

If they go this route you'd have to think they'd plan on offering the highest amount possible to D'Lo which would mean no Vuc in ORL, especially since the draft is before free agency and that #4 pick would be crucial for us.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,272

Post#1208 » by pepe1991 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:07 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Read on Twitter

Kyrie to Brooklyn is all but done with this move. Our FO better be thinking of ways to clear cap

Do you think D'lo could simply sign with Knicks, if Nets take Irving?

Maybe I'm not sure how compatible DSJ & DLo would be. Now DLo would probably push DSJ to the bench since hes a much better guard.

I get the feeling DLo will want to go somewhere where he is "The Guy" as he's tired of playing 2nd 3rd fiddle while he has improved his game and is on the come up. Wonder if a team like the Jazz would dare go after DLO, they could get the Cap needed since they have 2 solid non guaranteed deals they could waive.

i completely forgot that Dennis is with Knicks :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,917

Post#1209 » by MagicMatic » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:20 pm

Knightro wrote:

This option.

Garland, Russell, Isaac, (Doumbouya/Kabengele/Clarke), Bamba.

Or just get more shooting depth with Herro knowing we lose Ross with Vuc.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#1210 » by ezzzp » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:27 pm

Hypothetical...

I like this a lot.

The Magic would have enough cap space to sign D'Russell + could re-sign Vucevic (at $25m range) AND they would still be around $15m below the luxury tax line. Very nice.

PG: Russell / Augustin / Fultz
SG: Fournier / x / Frazier
SF: Iwundu /
PF: Isaac /
C: Vucevic / Bamba

PLUS #4 and #16 and $4.6 Room Exception
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#1211 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:50 pm

Read on Twitter

Down goes Frazier
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1212 » by MoMM » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:20 pm

ezzzp wrote:

Hypothetical...

I like this a lot.

The Magic would have enough cap space to sign D'Russell + could re-sign Vucevic (at $25m range) AND they would still be around $15m below the luxury tax line. Very nice.

That's a nice deal, indeed.

BTW, since there isn't a clear top player at #4, how about trading #4 to Atlanta for #8 and #10 after that?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#1213 » by basketballRob » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:00 pm

MoMM wrote:
ezzzp wrote:

Hypothetical...

I like this a lot.

That's a nice deal, indeed.

BTW, since there isn't a clear top player at #4, how about trading #4 to Atlanta for #8 and #10 after that?
I'd even think about AG to the Pacers for the 18 pick. They wanted him last season. Maybe we could pick NAW and Kabengele or Claxton.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,605

Post#1214 » by Skybox » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:16 pm

ezzzp wrote:

Hypothetical...

I like this a lot.

I thought it was a $9m Exception(?)
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach

Post#1215 » by swarlesbarkley » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:00 am

ezzzp wrote:

Hypothetical...

I like this a lot.

As much as I like Gordon and think he's a great leader for our team, this would be an awesome move. Pick up a starting SF at #4 (Reddish/Hunter?) and a bench SG at #16 (Herro?) and get some vet bench depth and then go compete for the 3-4 spot in the east next year. Then we've still got room to grow with Isaac, Bamba, and Fultz. I'm in.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#1216 » by ezzzp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:37 am

Skybox wrote:
ezzzp wrote:

Hypothetical...

I like this a lot.

I thought it was a $9m Exception(?)

Once the Magic go under the salary cap (to be able to sign D-Lo) it becomes the room exception and they don't regain the MLE.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,399

Post#1217 » by Bensational » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:50 am

I'd be wary of the risk of trading Gordon for the #4 pick in a 2 man draft, and trading one of our best assets for cap space to make a run at a FA. If the team can manage to turn that move into Garland + D'Lo it wouldn't be a bad move though.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,917

Post#1218 » by MagicMatic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:03 am

Bensational wrote:I'd be wary of the risk of trading Gordon for the #4 pick in a 2 man draft, and trading one of our best assets for cap space to make a run at a FA. If the team can manage to turn that move into Garland + D'Lo it wouldn't be a bad move though.

Agreed. Isaac can easily move into the PF position next to Bamba and we could get both Garland, Russell, and another wing at 16. That’s the ideal scenario IMO.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#1219 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:26 am

ezzzp wrote:

Hypothetical...

I like this a lot.

I think being Pelicans are getting Williamson, they would probably rather get someone to play with Zion with the 4th pick and also get Ingram and Kuzma.

PG: JRue
SG: Ingram
SF: Zion
PF: Kuzma
C: Randle

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,399

Post#1220 » by Bensational » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:46 am

MagicMatic wrote:
Bensational wrote:I'd be wary of the risk of trading Gordon for the #4 pick in a 2 man draft, and trading one of our best assets for cap space to make a run at a FA. If the team can manage to turn that move into Garland + D'Lo it wouldn't be a bad move though.

Agreed. Isaac can easily move into the PF position next to Bamba and we could get both Garland, Russell, and another wing at 16. That’s the ideal scenario IMO.

It's a risk to trade our 2nd best player for an unproven rookie, plus that team would be very young. Maybe too young for WeHam. I would really prefer to see Gordon alongside D'Lo, but in this deal we trade Gordon's present abilities for D'Lo, and still get a potential prospect in the #4. If we miss on D'Lo, then it's really just a case of having kicked the can further down the road by trading Gordon for what we can pull out of #4. Which is fine, but Gordon feels right on the precipice of showing us what he will be like moving forwards, so it would be a shame to cash in too early.

I'm not even sure if WeHam have a prospect at #4 that they care about. Garland or White feel like the best options. Maybe Culver.

Return to Orlando Magic