ImageImageImage

Jonathan Simmons Contract Trade value

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

oldschool1
Freshman
And1: 17

Jonathan Simmons Contract Trade value 

Post#1 » by oldschool1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 pm

My understanding is that Simmons contract for the 2019/20 of $5.7 Million becomes non-guaranteed some time before late July/August (with a $1 million buyout). Withe Sixers likely over the cap (and with only exemptions available after signing Butler/Harris), it makes sense for the Sixers to trade Simmons to a team that is looking to unload 2019/20 salary. The Sixers should target a player with a 2019/20 salary of between $4.1- 7.1 Million (125% of Simmons salary). I took look at possible targets which inside the foilowing:
- Ersan ($7 million); Bjelica ($6.8 million); Malik Monk ($4.0 million); PJ Tucker (remote) ($8.3 million); there could be others. I am no salary cap expert. . The Sixers could sweeten the deal by adding a second round pick. I think Milwaukee would definitely do a Ersan for Simmons plus a second round pick. You might ben able to get done without the pick, Milwaukee may give us a pick.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Re: Jonathan Simmons Contract Trade value 

Post#2 » by BullyKing » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:30 pm

This is incorrect. If he is trading without guaranteeing the remainder of his salary, his outgoing value is only $1 million. They changed the rule as part of the last CBA.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#3 » by Sixerscan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 pm

BullyKing wrote:This is incorrect. If he is trading without guaranteeing the remainder of his salary, his outgoing value is only $1 million. They changed the rule as part of the last CBA.

Yep, JR Smith signed his deal before the new CBA so his deal is grandfathered in.

Also I’m pretty sure Simmons has a 7/1 guarantee date.

Can still trade him, he just becomes an expiring contract in 19/20 instead of off the books.
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#4 » by kio80 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:27 am

Trade him for a photo copier or a 6pack of Red Bull, just get rid of him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#5 » by LloydFree » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:35 am

kio80 wrote:Trade him for a photo copier or a 6pack of Red Bull, just get rid of him

Jonathan Simmons served his purpose well. He got us out of Markelle Fultz' ridiculous 10 million dollar option for the cost of a 1 million dollar buyout.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#6 » by BullyKing » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:39 am

LloydFree wrote:
kio80 wrote:Trade him for a photo copier or a 6pack of Red Bull, just get rid of him

Jonathan Simmons served his purpose well. He got us out of Markelle Fultz' ridiculous 10 million dollar option for the cost of a 1 million dollar buyout.

For a guy who basically lives in the draft thread, I'd think you'd realize that picking up that "ridiculous" option is what allowed us to be able to get those picks for Fultz, including #33, instead of having to send a pick (ironically, #32) like with Okafor.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#7 » by LloydFree » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:54 am

Picking up Jonathan Simmons' mostly unguaranteed contract while getting out of Fultz' contract was a very under-rated shrewd move by Elton Brand. Doesn't get the credit it deserves.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#8 » by BullyKing » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:16 am

A shrewd move that would have never been possible if they listened to you and never picked up that ridiculous option. I know, facts hurt your narrative but figured I'd lay them out any way.
NYSixersFan wrote:
oldschool1
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#9 » by oldschool1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:47 am

[quote="BullyKing"]This is incorrect. If he is trading without guaranteeing the remainder of his salary, his outgoing value is only $1 million. They changed the rule as part of the last CBA.[/quote]

Appreciate the clarification. Did not realize the new CBA had this change.
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#10 » by SouthJersey » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:31 am

That trade sucked. They traded Fultz for a bench guy that was as useless as Fultz when they were in compete now mode and needed another bench player.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#11 » by kuclas » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:10 pm

LloydFree wrote:

Side question. What is fultz 4th year option? 12 million?

Cause there is no way the magic not give him a 4th year. Cause it’s due in October 2019? Before the season? And fultz team will drag out his recovery process till they give him another guarantee year?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#12 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:48 pm

SouthJersey wrote:That trade sucked. They traded Fultz for a bench guy that was as useless as Fultz when they were in compete now mode and needed another bench player.

I’ve heard people in the know say it was far and away the best offer they got for him. Just a weird crappy situation.
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#13 » by PhillyFan11 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:00 pm

SouthJersey wrote:That trade sucked. They traded Fultz for a bench guy that was as useless as Fultz when they were in compete now mode and needed another bench player.

+ a 1st that helped get Tobias + an early 2nd that probably has at least a 50/50 shot of being more productive than Fultz. All while saving close to $10M...so no, it didn’t suck. Elton had to make the most out of a bad situation that BC screwed up horribly
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,753

Post#14 » by phillynative » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Sixerscan wrote:

I’ve heard people in the know say it was far and away the best offer they got for him. Just a weird crappy situation.

yikes
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#15 » by SouthJersey » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:14 am

PhillyFan11 wrote:

+ a 1st that helped get Tobias + an early 2nd that probably has at least a 50/50 shot of being more productive than Fultz. All while saving close to $10M...so no, it didn’t suck. Elton had to make the most out of a bad situation that BC screwed up horribly

Yeah The 10 million savings really helped a Sixers team that was in win now mode last season. Whatever, hindsight is always easier to judge back on when a trade didn't work out, but IDK how that protected 1st they got from the Magic helped them get Tobias when the Fultz trade happened after the Tobias trade?
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,432

Post#16 » by FlyingArrow » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:19 am

PhillyFan11 wrote:

Geez. Why are you making me defend BC? Trading up for Fultz was a bad move, but nobody could have predicted Fultz's self destruction.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#17 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:29 am

SouthJersey wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:

Yeah The 10 million savings really helped a Sixers team that was in win now mode last season. Whatever, hindsight is always easier to judge back on when a trade didn't work out, but IDK how that protected 1st they got from the Magic helped them get Tobias when the Fultz trade happened after the Tobias trade?

It balanced out one of the picks they sent out. Because they weren't just about winning this year.

They wanted Ross instead of Simmons and the 1st, Magic said no. Sixers waited until 5 minutes before the trade deadline for them to change their mind, they didn't.
PhillyFan11
Rookie

Post#18 » by PhillyFan11 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:34 pm

FlyingArrow wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:

Geez. Why are you making me defend BC? Trading up for Fultz was a bad move, but nobody could have predicted Fultz's self destruction.

I strongly disagree. Anybody who had a 10 min conversation with that kid should have realized that he doesn’t have the mental makeup to be the #1 overall pick. Obviously he was/is very young and should mature (I have my doubts if maturity is even his issue), but we are talking about a trade that involved multiple valueable assets to #1 for a player that was meant to be a key anchor to the franchise for a long time. There’s a lot more that goes into making a pick like that than just basketball, and BC and anyone/everyone involved absolutely blew it.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,432

Post#19 » by FlyingArrow » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:07 pm

Fultz was the consensus number 1 pick. If you have a link to your comments from before the draft where you said he shouldn't be taken in the top ten, I'll be happy to acknowledge your prescience.
PhillyFan11
Rookie

Post#20 » by PhillyFan11 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:52 pm

FlyingArrow wrote:Fultz was the consensus number 1 pick. If you have a link to your comments from before the draft where you said he shouldn't be taken in the top ten, I'll be happy to acknowledge your prescience.

He was not the consensus #1 pick, more like top 4. And I never sat in a room and had a conversation with the kid. That’s not my job. If you can’t acknowledge that something is clearly mentally “off” about Fultz then you’re delusional.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers