ImageImageImage

Trade Ideas (Part III)

Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Trade Ideas (Part III) 

Post#1061 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 8, 2019 12:57 am

^ I would consider it if they already have the 13th from Miami, but don't really think this org will see Ja's upside being that much higher than Sexton to justify trading Sexton and the 5. I do think they would entertain trying to play them together had they been picking at 2 without having to trade up but not 1 for the other. This team needs more than 1 lottery level player on this roster on a rookie scale deal. Sexton & adding whoever they take at 5 and maybe 13 or 16 should be the goal.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#1062 » by Roddy B for 3 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:44 am

Tim Hardaway Jr (35million owed over the next two seasons) + #17 + #31
For
JR Smith + #26 + 2020 Utah 2nd + 2021 Portland 2nd round draft pick

This is Cleveland's end of a three team trade I was working on before the Atlanta/Brooklyn real trade.

I'm just curious if the other teams would've been interested in it.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#1063 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:43 am

I'd pass pretty easily even without the Cavs adding the seconds. We already have Sexton, Clarkson, and Knight. The last guy we need to have on our roster, for two full years, is THjr.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#1064 » by Richfield » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:14 am

Looking at those teams with seconds, I think its fair to call each one of them a 45th pick at this point. Can't project either one of those teams far from the middle at this point imo.

So Cavs are taking on salary, okay, and providing an asset salary that can bring back possibly a first rounder on it's own, say a 25h pick in this draft. If that's a bad or not generous enough projection for what JR could bring back let me know.

So Cavs take on a salary that granted they can do something with in 2 years, maybe... but possibly a wash if the market doesn't fit the situation, or you just paid 35 mil and realize it. We'll call it breaking even on that front for now.

So you're giving up a 25th pick, a 26th pick, and two 45th picks..

In return you're getting a 17th and a 31st pick..

Can't say I see the clear advantage. Not sure the second rounders need to be involved at all, and then it still might be even, and if you plan on hitting with those picks the rookie contract flexibility into the second round works against you.

So kind of a wash if we're not losing the trade (not that you were asking Cavs fans), if nothing else feels like you're just dealing to make a deal. I'd like more of a steal, of course.

Maybe if the person at 17 is a "completely slept on sure thing". And seems only Spurs with their track record or Jerry West saying that has earned the right to make that kind of declaration. Cavs can say it, but it won't mean a thing unless they're all the way right.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#1065 » by Revenged25 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:40 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:Tim Hardaway Jr (35million owed over the next two seasons) + #17 + #31
For

This is Cleveland's end of a three team trade I was working on before the Atlanta/Brooklyn real trade.

I think this trade only ever gets considered if JR to Miami for #13/James Johnson fell through and even then it would need to remove the picks from leaving Cleveland as there are other teams looking to move salary that the Cavs could get picks for without needing to give up more in return for eating salary. Granted THJ could be a passable player for the Cavs, especially with Beilein as the coach, but he isn't good enough to warrant what the Cavs would be giving up. If you removed the picks the Cavs could be interested, or at the minimum removed the #26 pick from the trade.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1066 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:Tim Hardaway Jr (35million owed over the next two seasons) + #17 + #31
For

I think this trade only ever gets considered if JR to Miami for #13/James Johnson fell through and even then it would need to remove the picks from leaving Cleveland as there are other teams looking to move salary that the Cavs could get picks for without needing to give up more in return for eating salary. Granted THJ could be a passable player for the Cavs, especially with Beilein as the coach, but he isn't good enough to warrant what the Cavs would be giving up. If you removed the picks the Cavs could be interested, or at the minimum removed the #26 pick from the trade.

Trading JR for a crappy return comes at the cost of not only cap space, but of being able to take a harder line on trade talks for guys like TT. If you re-enter the tax, and someone offers you enough cap space to get out in a TT deal, you probably have to take it.

FWIW, Fedor said the Cavs are exploring the possibility of getting a first in future drafts with JR because they're not that high on this draft class.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1067 » by Stillwater » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:24 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
For

Trading JR for a crappy return comes at the cost of not only cap space, but of being able to take a harder line on trade talks for guys like TT. If you re-enter the tax, and someone offers you enough cap space to get out in a TT deal, you probably have to take it.

FWIW, Fedor said the Cavs are exploring the possibility of getting a first in future drafts with JR because they're not that high on this draft class.

Maybe but I would think they are trying to get offers on the table that are projected higher picks in 2020 to use as argument to get higher one's this yr from Miami or Orlando
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#1068 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:12 pm

Posted this in the "What should cleveland do" in T&T

To Cleveland: #16, Mozgov
To Orlando: JR Smith

Take on salary for a mid-1st.

Draft Day:
#5-Cam Reddish, G/F Duke
Trade #16, #26 to Washington for #9
#9-Sekou Doumbouya, F France

Cavs jump ahead of Atlanta's 2nd pick thinking they'd take Sekou and no reason to bring in 3 rookies this year anyways. Cavs get two high potential two-way players in Reddish and Sekou. Both need to develop more but their skillsets give them high ceilings.

Before Season Starts:
To Cleveland: 2020 Houston/GS 2nd, 2021 Dallas 2nd, Justin Jackson, Courtney Lee
To Dallas: Tristan Thompson

Dallas strikes out on their PF/C targets in FA, gives up 2 future 2nds, a young player that showed promise down the stretch last season, and an expiring contract for TT. Cavs save about 3 million in just the salaries from the trade, could potentially save more by buying out Lee or shipping him off to a team lookign for a rotational guard.

Sexton/Knight/Delly
Reddish/Clarkson/Lee
Osman/Jackson
Love/Sekou/Henson
Nance/Zizic/Mozgov
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1069 » by Stillwater » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:03 pm

Revenged25 wrote:Posted this in the "What should cleveland do" in T&T

Draft Day:
#5-Cam Reddish, G/F Duke

Cavs jump ahead of Atlanta's 2nd pick thinking they'd take Sekou and no reason to bring in 3 rookies this year anyways. Cavs get two high potential two-way players in Reddish and Sekou. Both need to develop more but their skillsets give them high ceilings.

Before Season Starts:
To Cleveland: 2020 Houston/GS 2nd, 2021 Dallas 2nd, Justin Jackson, Courtney Lee

Dallas strikes out on their PF/C targets in FA, gives up 2 future 2nds, a young player that showed promise down the stretch last season, and an expiring contract for TT. Cavs save about 3 million in just the salaries from the trade, could potentially save more by buying out Lee or shipping him off to a team lookign for a rotational guard.

Sexton/Knight/Delly
Reddish/Clarkson/Lee
Osman/Jackson
Love/Sekou/Henson
Nance/Zizic/Mozgov

Yeah I don't see Washington trading down really but you never know...
I think with Powell opting in Dallas won't be that interested in a center on a expiring that's gonna want to get paid unless they don't care about the picks but given they have a small number of picks in the next few years they probably do.
I like LAL as a landing spot for TT tbh depending on whether they don't get AD or strike out in fa etc.
Lakers 2021 first lottery protected 2 years than 2 seconds no players retuning from LAL for TT
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#1070 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:11 pm

Stillwater wrote:

Draft Day:
#5-Cam Reddish, G/F Duke

Before Season Starts:

Sexton/Knight/Delly
Reddish/Clarkson/Lee
Osman/Jackson
Love/Sekou/Henson
Nance/Zizic/Mozgov

I think with Powell opting in Dallas won't be that interested in a center on a expiring that's gonna want to get paid unless they don't care about the picks but given they have a small number of picks in the next few years they probably do.
I like LAL as a landing spot for TT tbh depending on whether they don't get AD or strike out in fa etc.
Lakers 2021 first lottery protected 2 years than 2 seconds no players retuning from LAL for TT

I think Atlanta ends up drafting Sekou at #10 which is why I had to pick Washington to trade. They have a lot of old players with no youth behind them so they need players to develop, figured they would be a good pick for that, maybe the Cavs would need to sweeten it further by adding Zizic or something.

Even with Powell opting in, TT is a better fit, and better player, so I figured a few 2nds, a young player, and moving around some expiring salary wouldn't bother them too much. Maybe the 2 2nds were too much, maybe it should only be 1 2nd? Also since this is before the season starts, which is why we didn't get their 2nd this year, they would know where they stood already in FA and resigning players and would still feel TT was the right fit.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1071 » by Stillwater » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:11 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Draft Day:
#5-Cam Reddish, G/F Duke

Before Season Starts:

Sexton/Knight/Delly
Reddish/Clarkson/Lee
Osman/Jackson
Love/Sekou/Henson
Nance/Zizic/Mozgov

I think Atlanta ends up drafting Sekou at #10 which is why I had to pick Washington to trade. They have a lot of old players with no youth behind them so they need players to develop, figured they would be a good pick for that, maybe the Cavs would need to sweeten it further by adding Zizic or something.

Even with Powell opting in, TT is a better fit, and better player, so I figured a few 2nds, a young player, and moving around some expiring salary wouldn't bother them too much. Maybe the 2 2nds were too much, maybe it should only be 1 2nd? Also since this is before the season starts, which is why we didn't get their 2nd this year, they would know where they stood already in FA and resigning players and would still feel TT was the right fit.

Maybe Dallas does this if they strike out in FA and TT would be a good fit next to KP if he isn't in jail, but I think the Cavs will hold until the DL for a better return
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#1072 » by Richfield » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:50 am

If you're the Cavs, do you pick up the phone? We have a high level player or two (I've been told I overrate TT)..

The Los Angeles Lakers have offered Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball and the No. 4 overall selection in trade talks with the New Orleans Pelicans for Anthony Davis, according to sources that spoke with Marc Stein of the New York Times.

The Pelicans are seeking a multi-team trade scenario in order to acquire their preferred combination of assets.

The Lakers moved up in last month's lottery to have the No. 4 overall pick. According to ESPN, the Lakers and Pelicans have been trying to route the No. 4 pick to another team in exchange for a high-level player.

Sources tell Tania Ganguli and Brad Turner of the Los Angeles Times that the Lakers are attempting to keep Kyle Kuzma out of trade talks.

MARC STEIN/NEW YORK TIMES

Not sure I'd do anything for just the No. 4 pick. Maybe ask how firm they are on Kuzma or other picks. Might change what they want to do with Ball.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#1073 » by Revenged25 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:12 am

Richfield wrote:If you're the Cavs, do you pick up the phone? We have a high level player or two (I've been told I overrate TT)..

The Los Angeles Lakers have offered Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball and the No. 4 overall selection in trade talks with the New Orleans Pelicans for Anthony Davis, according to sources that spoke with Marc Stein of the New York Times.

The Pelicans are seeking a multi-team trade scenario in order to acquire their preferred combination of assets.

The Lakers moved up in last month's lottery to have the No. 4 overall pick. According to ESPN, the Lakers and Pelicans have been trying to route the No. 4 pick to another team in exchange for a high-level player.

Sources tell Tania Ganguli and Brad Turner of the Los Angeles Times that the Lakers are attempting to keep Kyle Kuzma out of trade talks.

Not sure I'd do anything for just the No. 4 pick. Maybe ask how firm they are on Kuzma or other picks. Might change what they want to do with Ball.

I would rate TT as having a max value of about a mid-late 1st round pick with his likely value just being neutral. But what exactly are you suggesting we give up? TT isn't likely going to get it done and I don't think there would be enough coming to the Cavs to justify trading Love if the Pelicans are even interested. I mean really the biggest asset the Cavs have is the ability to get another late lotto pick using JR's deal, but then what are we getting out of it?

Actually thinking about it, I kind of like the idea of Josh Hart. He has a lot of potential and I loved the way him and Sexton were pushing each other in the summer league, so if they could carry that over into a friendly rivalry as teammates it could really push both of their developments.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1074 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:35 am

I see little chance the Cavs would be involved in the Lakers Pels deal unless Love was going to the Pels and the 4th went to CLE.
But to make the trade work would require way to much juggling and separate trades and really isn't possible the way I see it.
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#1075 » by substancej » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:15 pm

Richfield wrote:If you're the Cavs, do you pick up the phone? We have a high level player or two (I've been told I overrate TT)..

If I'm Altman, I'm trading Love by any means possible. His injury history makes him a very talented bench warmer. As far as TT, he's untradable and he's a good locker room presence anyway. I can see Altman trying to trade Love, Clarkson and Cedi or Henson in a 3 team trade like this.
Kevin Love finna get traded
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#1076 » by JJ_PR » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:42 pm

Cleveland trades: Kevin Love & Matthew Dellavedova.

Charlotte trades: 12th pick, Bizmax Biyombo & Marvin "Starvin" Williams.

Why for Cleveland? Get a decent pick for Love.

Why for Charlotte? Acquire a star to pair with Kemba.

Cleveland trades: J.R. Smith.

Miami trades: 13th pick & James Johnson.

Why for Cleveland? Get another lotto.

Why for Miami? Obtain salary relief.

Picks:
#5: DeAndre Hunter
#12: Keldon Johnson
#13: Bol Bol
#26: Moses Brown

Make it happen Altman!
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#1077 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:04 am

Irving_Fan_11 wrote:Cleveland trades: Kevin Love & Matthew Dellavedova.

Picks:

Make it happen Altman!

the 13th for eating JJ is possible
Trading Love for 2 expiring's and a meh pick is not good value and eats another roster spot etc.

I would not expect CLE to consider moving Love this summer for anything short of the 4th pick in a 3 way deal with LAL N.O. and the odds of that happening is very very very weak
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1078 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:40 am

Irving_Fan_11 wrote:Cleveland trades: Kevin Love & Matthew Dellavedova.

Picks:
#5: DeAndre Hunter
#12: Keldon Johnson
#13: Bol Bol
#26: Moses Brown

Make it happen Altman!
I don't think Bol Bol lasts that long. I wouldn't do the Charlotte trade. Do we even have enough roster spots to add JJ and 4 rookies?

Last report out of Cleveland was that the Cavs weren't enamored with this class and wanted a future 1st for Jr's deal rather than adding a 3rd 1st this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
ToneLocc
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#1079 » by ToneLocc » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:15 pm

Not sure where this rumor came from or the legitimacy of it.... Clarkson + 5 for Lavine + 7

https://kingjamesgospel.com/2019/06/16/cleveland-cavaliers-weighing-pros-cons-trading-for-zach-lavine/

What are your guys' thoughts on it? He's under contract for 3 more years, at around $20m per season. Definitely would give a big boost to our team.... I'm just not sure Chicago does it.
ToneLocc
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#1080 » by ToneLocc » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:18 pm

Another trade target I've been thinking about is Moe Wagner. Lakers will need cost-controlled players but they also may look maneuver into max slot territory. Wonder if we could get him for a 2nd...

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers