Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,546

Re: Around the NBA, 2018-19 Season thread 

Post#621 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 30, 2019 12:54 pm

gigantes wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
kamaze wrote:If you don't get that the playoffs are more important than the regular season nvm this is pointless.

they are important but they're not an indictment against a player either especially guys who are experiencing it for the first time. You think Joe Harris is going to now become a sub 20% shooter the rest of his career because of a bad 5 games?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rationally looking at it, both Joe and D'Angelo probably use what happened as motivation to work even harder this offseason. I'm not concerned in the slightest.

Exactly.

Because if change and youth weren't actual factors, then Joe and D'Angelo wouldn't have had the breakout seasons they just did. And how does one claim to know the ultimate worth of something in the midst of a development / growth process, anyway? A hurtling, spinning sphere, as it were. Unless you're a physics major or Cirque de Soleil, how would you presume to know, duderino?

I don't know... it seems like a solid proportion of Nets fans still don't understand the Nets fundamental process. The things that make them so special as a team, and the fact that most of these players are in a state of flux (in a good way).

Also seems like there's a certain weird tinge of desperation / neediness from the general fanbase, and I really don't understand what it's about. I would have thought "patience" would have been one of our peak skills as a fanbase after so many years of drudgery. Instead, things are headed in beautiful directions for a number of solid reasons, starting with Sean Marks, but you wouldn't know it talking to some fans. You wouldn't know it.

I've seen D'Angelo Russell, Spencer Dinwiddie, and Caris LeVert fail several times over the last two seasons and yet all of them keep raising their levels of play. A 5 game sample size is not a cause for alarm, its a learning experience. LeVert adjusted the best to playoff basketball out of all of them, which is a great sign, but now he's got to figure out how to maintain that level of play for 82 games. Russell knows now he can't play in the playoffs like he did in the regular season and expect things to go his way, so on and so forth.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#622 » by MGrand15 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:56 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
gigantes wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
they are important but they're not an indictment against a player either especially guys who are experiencing it for the first time. You think Joe Harris is going to now become a sub 20% shooter the rest of his career because of a bad 5 games?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rationally looking at it, both Joe and D'Angelo probably use what happened as motivation to work even harder this offseason. I'm not concerned in the slightest.

Exactly.

Because if change and youth weren't actual factors, then Joe and D'Angelo wouldn't have had the breakout seasons they just did. And how does one claim to know the ultimate worth of something in the midst of a development / growth process, anyway? A hurtling, spinning sphere, as it were. Unless you're a physics major or Cirque de Soleil, how would you presume to know, duderino?

I don't know... it seems like a solid proportion of Nets fans still don't understand the Nets fundamental process. The things that make them so special as a team, and the fact that most of these players are in a state of flux (in a good way).

Also seems like there's a certain weird tinge of desperation / neediness from the general fanbase, and I really don't understand what it's about. I would have thought "patience" would have been one of our peak skills as a fanbase after so many years of drudgery. Instead, things are headed in beautiful directions for a number of solid reasons, starting with Sean Marks, but you wouldn't know it talking to some fans. You wouldn't know it.

I've seen D'Angelo Russell, Spencer Dinwiddie, and Caris LeVert fail several times over the last two seasons and yet all of them keep raising their levels of play. A 5 game sample size is not a cause for alarm, its a learning experience. LeVert adjusted the best to playoff basketball out of all of them, which is a great sign, but now he's got to figure out how to maintain that level of play for 82 games. Russell knows now he can't play in the playoffs like he did in the regular season and expect things to go his way, so on and so forth.

It's also important to remember that Philly is REALLY tough on PGs. They had Ben Simmons on him. Embiid was at the rim waiting for him. That's a tough matchup for even top top PGs. I wouldn't overreact to it. If we ended up playing Indiana, I have no doubt he would've lit them up. Would that make him a better playoff player? Not really.

I think he'll def learn from it. We also need to make teams pay if they play Russell so aggressively. That's also on Allen, Harris, Dinwiddie, Kurucs, LeVert, etc.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#623 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 31, 2019 4:33 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
gigantes wrote:Exactly.

It's also important to remember that Philly is REALLY tough on PGs. They had Ben Simmons on him. Embiid was at the rim waiting for him. That's a tough matchup for even top top PGs. I wouldn't overreact to it. If we ended up playing Indiana, I have no doubt he would've lit them up. Would that make him a better playoff player? Not really.

I think he'll def learn from it. We also need to make teams pay if they play Russell so aggressively. That's also on Allen, Harris, Dinwiddie, Kurucs, LeVert, etc.

Yeah I mean being covered by a 6'10 PG and then running into an elite center in the paint while our three point shooting went into the toilet as a team was pretty much a perfect storm.

I'm really not concerned about Russell tbh. Even though he played bad it wasn't like he was ineffective during the entire series, he had his moments as well.

It was a good experience regardless. I wish we could have won that last game at home.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#624 » by Prokorov » Fri May 31, 2019 7:17 pm

harris missed 16 "wide open" threes in the series. if those go even half of what he normally would hit russell looks alot better. Russell also missed alot of shots he normally hits

to me it is too small a sample to care about. especially vs a team that was like 100 times more talented.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#625 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jun 1, 2019 2:11 am

Prokorov wrote:harris missed 16 "wide open" threes in the series. if those go even half of what he normally would hit russell looks alot better. Russell also missed alot of shots he normally hits

to me it is too small a sample to care about. especially vs a team that was like 100 times more talented.

Exactly. Russell was missing pull ups that weren't even contested that he usually knocks down with ease. Harris was bricking threes wide open looks.

None of that was the norm, and all a case of 1st time playoff jitters.

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#626 » by Paradise » Sat Jun 8, 2019 4:43 pm

Down 3-1 without KD. What’s up, Bob Meyers?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#627 » by MGrand15 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 6:47 pm

Kind of random but it's weird that people thought KD would come back right away. Treveon Graham had the same injury. Got injured in mid-October. Came back in January. Coaching staff minimized it just like they did the Durant injury.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#628 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:34 pm

TRASH. Toss the entire fanbase into an acid vat.

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#629 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:53 am

Klay looks like he just dislocated his knee and/or ankle. This is insane. GSW getting bitch slapped by the bball Gods. Just uncomfortable to watch
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#630 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:51 am

I'm happy for Jeremy Lin, he's officially an NBA Champion.

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#631 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:00 am

Congrats to Toronto... they were the better team...

(however, would never won tonight if Klay didn't go down...)
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#632 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:01 am

Other than seeing Masai winning.... not too much problem with these raps winning... Gasol n Ibake… even sh*tty Lowry(very good player but not with his antics)
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Post#633 » by Stone » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:17 am

Great game....great series.....Congrats to the Raps and there fans...

BTW.....I was at the 12/07 game when we beat the Raps in OT..... :lol:
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#634 » by Prokorov » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:52 am

Stone wrote:Great game....great series.....Congrats to the Raps and there fans...

BTW.....I was at the 12/07 game when we beat the Raps in OT..... :lol:

i thought the series stunk. one sided officiating and in general boring games with major injuries. to me this title for the raps has a huge asterik.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#635 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:04 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:Klay looks like he just dislocated his knee and/or ankle. This is insane. GSW getting bitch slapped by the bball Gods. Just uncomfortable to watch

I almost wish they could ban the act of trying to block dunk attempts unless you're already standing at the basket or facing the person trying to dunk.

When I saw Klay running at the speed he was to the basket and gather to dunk it, and then saw Green running from almost perpendicular angle to try to block it, I said "Oh no". The chances of a clean block at the angle and at that speed are pretty low. You're almost certainly going to make contact in the air by going for the block.

It sucks that contact prevented him from hanging on to the basket to brace himself for the fall. Injuries are horrible.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#636 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:05 am

CalamityX12 wrote:Congrats to Toronto... they were the better team...

(however, would never won tonight if Klay didn't go down...)

The game was still close when Klay went down. You never know what would've happened. Kawhi got hot at the end of Game 5 and the Warriors still pulled out an improbable comeback.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,752

Post#637 » by Rich Rane » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:50 am

Torn ACL for Klay. Sucks as a general basketball fan not seeing KD or Klay on the court next season.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#638 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:15 am

That is a brutal set of injuries for guys to suffer just weeks before signing huge extensions.

Golden State is in serious trouble next season. Imagine if they commit millions to both players to sit out a year?

TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#639 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:15 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Klay looks like he just dislocated his knee and/or ankle. This is insane. GSW getting bitch slapped by the bball Gods. Just uncomfortable to watch

I almost wish they could ban the act of trying to block dunk attempts unless you're already standing at the basket or facing the person trying to dunk.

When I saw Klay running at the speed he was to the basket and gather to dunk it, and then saw Green running from almost perpendicular angle to try to block it, I said "Oh no". The chances of a clean block at the angle and at that speed are pretty low. You're almost certainly going to make contact in the air by going for the block.

It sucks that contact prevented him from hanging on to the basket to brace himself for the fall. Injuries are horrible.
Without old school 7 footers and with the 4-5 out systems, that’s going to happen more. It’s a straight line race to the rim.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#640 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:28 am

MrDollarBills wrote:That is a brutal set of injuries for guys to suffer just weeks before signing huge extensions.

Golden State is in serious trouble next season. Imagine if they commit millions to both players to sit out a year?

Yeah, they'll probably got a lotto pick and continue their dynasty even longer lol.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.

Return to Brooklyn Nets