ImageImageImage

Around the League Discussion - 2018-2019 (Playoffs)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,664

Re: Around the League Discussion - 2018-2019 (Playoffs) 

Post#461 » by Negrodamus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:20 pm

FlyingArrow wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:With KD's unfortunate injury, this upcoming off season and the 2019-2020 season should be bonkers. Portland, Denver and especially the Rockets have to see a big window of opportunity to finally make it to the finals. Lebron and AD could finally be teaming up for next season, but who will they have as a supporting cast? If the 76ers can gel and avoid playoff sickness they have to feel great about the chance to go up against Toronto (with or without Leonard) or the Bucks, especially if Boston loses Irving. And you never know how injuries or another team coming out of nowhere will effect things.

The NBA finals is a great prelude to the off season and the start of the free agency period and everything that comes after that.

KD's injury likely keeps the scale tilted heavily on the West. There might be a few teams that make a leap in the East, but nothing like what was anticipated to be the super team KD was going to headline.

If Kawhi leaves Toronto, then the Bucks are basically the only team standing in our way of a Finals.

If Kawhi winds up with the Nets, are they as good as the Raptors this year?

Is that under consideration? I figured he was LA or Tor.

That said, the Nets would have more talent in the top four, but I don't know if they have a better team. The infrastructure of this Raptors team is made to compliment Kawhi and beat the contenders in the East. And the Nets frontcourt isn't comparable to the Raptors frontcourt.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,673

Post#462 » by the_process » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:22 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:
Do you think that needs to be a starter? I think we need a scorer off the bench that isn't a complete sieve defensively and a defensive big. This is assuming we run it back™, Zhaire is a contributor at least defensively next year, and we bring back Mike Scott.

Aside from a leadership perspective and general chemistry, I don't really see a reason to bring back Redick in a starter capacity.

I don't know what the answer is since we'll be strapped for cash, but in the playoffs this team currently lives and dies by Redick's threes because he's certainly not providing much defensively.

The cap and our available assets is my issue. I'm with you on Redick philosophically but we have no means of replacing him. Zhaire is not going to be ready for a starting role on a title contender next year and he's the only internal option. We cant get a starter the level of redick for the mini-mid level.

It’s a very tight squeeze, but it is possible to do all of:

-max out Jimmy and Tobias
-bring back Redick
-use the full MLE
-use the full BAE
-keep 24

So it is advisable to target bringing Redick off the bench next year.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#463 » by Negrodamus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:
Do you think that needs to be a starter? I think we need a scorer off the bench that isn't a complete sieve defensively and a defensive big. This is assuming we run it back™, Zhaire is a contributor at least defensively next year, and we bring back Mike Scott.

Aside from a leadership perspective and general chemistry, I don't really see a reason to bring back Redick in a starter capacity.

I don't know what the answer is since we'll be strapped for cash, but in the playoffs this team currently lives and dies by Redick's threes because he's certainly not providing much defensively.

The cap and our available assets is my issue. I'm with you on Redick philosophically but we have no means of replacing him. Zhaire is not going to be ready for a starting role on a title contender next year and he's the only internal option. We cant get a starter the level of redick for the mini-mid level.

Yea, I mean, I was completely against the Butler trade and was lukewarm on the Tobias trade, so we have kinda forced our hands on this situation, otherwise we burned assets for nothing.

Not saying Butler/Tobias isn't good, but we have pretty much removed all optionality going into one of the most consequential free agencies in some time.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#464 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:28 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:

Maybe not from day 1, but it's possible Zhaire could be ready by the end of the year. Anyway Redick would still be on the team he would just be playing 25-30 minutes in a playoff game instead of 35-40.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#465 » by Sixersftw » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:55 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Maybe not from day 1, but it's possible Zhaire could be ready by the end of the year. Anyway Redick would still be on the team he would just be playing 25-30 minutes in a playoff game instead of 35-40.

I can get behind that. The defense would be absolutely suffocating as its very easy to hide Tobias who at least has the physical tools to compete. We'd need an improved 3pters from Zhaire and Jojo for spacing purposes but that's reasonably feasible.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Sixersftw
RealGM

Post#466 » by Sixersftw » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Rich Paul basically told the Celtics to **** off. You hate to see it.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#467 » by BullyKing » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:02 pm

Sixersftw wrote:Rich Paul basically told the Celtics to **** off. You hate to see it.

In news that will surprise no one, Boston fans are convinced this is because an AD to Boston trade is imminent.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#468 » by hookshot199 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:28 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:Rich Paul basically told the Celtics to **** off. You hate to see it.

In news that will surprise no one, Boston fans are convinced this is because an AD to Boston trade is imminent.

So how does that work? Assuming Boston has enough to get Davis - I don't believe Tatum is enough; Jaylen Brown plus Tatum with no serious picks?). what do they have to offer for Conley? Nobody wants Hayward's contract. At the very minimum - with Hayward not included in any offer - they'd have to give back the Memphis pick. But what else?

I just don't see it

And if they gut their roster, why would Anthony Davis consider staying?
Sixersftw
RealGM

Post#469 » by Sixersftw » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:48 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

So how does that work? Assuming Boston has enough to get Davis - I don't believe Tatum is enough; Jaylen Brown plus Tatum with no serious picks?). what do they have to offer for Conley? Nobody wants Hayward's contract. At the very minimum - with Hayward not included in any offer - they'd have to give back the Memphis pick. But what else?

I just don't see it

I'd imagine Smart is moving in one of these trades just from a pure salary perspective. I might be totally off base but it appears that they straight up don't have enough moveable salary to make a Conley and AD trade work, assuming nothing comes back but AD. I'm not really accounting for their 1st's salary holds so maybe that makes it up?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#470 » by Sixerscan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:28 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

I just don't see it

I'd imagine Smart is moving in one of these trades just from a pure salary perspective. I might be totally off base but it appears that they straight up don't have enough moveable salary to make a Conley and AD trade work, assuming nothing comes back but AD. I'm not really accounting for their 1st's salary holds so maybe that makes it up?

Smart would be in one trade. Horford (or cap space if he opts out) in the other.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#471 » by hookshot199 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:31 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

I just don't see it

They have enough moveable salary to make an AD trade work. The issue is: Do they have enough value?
Tatum and Jaylen Brown are both good young players. But do they project out any better than Tobias and
Crowder. And the picks, again, aren't likely to turn into impact players.

And of course Smart is somewhere in the RoCo. Great glue guy at good money, but not a star.

So for David Griffin, it comes down to how highly he evaluates Tatum and a 14, 20 and 22 pick
against the Knicks and Lakers offers of young players and a 3 and 4 pick respectively.

Then: I don't see what they have to offer for Conley? I suppose that giving back next year's Memphis
pick would be required, but surely they would want something more player wise. And not, I repeat,
Hayward. And probably not Horford.

I recall reading that the Grizzlies owner met with Gasol and Conley back in January to discuss their future
with the franchise. So I'm sure he'll work with Conley if he wants to go to the Celtics or another contending
team. But I don't expect him to give him away or take somebody else's junk for him. Hayward was a good
player, but he's not anymore.
Sixersftw
RealGM

Post#472 » by Sixersftw » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:34 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:

I just don't see it

Smart would be in one trade. Horford (or cap space if he opts out) in the other.

Oh ****, you're right. For some reason I thought opt ins (I was assuming he was opting in) were treated like Free agent acquisitions and are untradeable until mid season. Nope, Chris Paul trade.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#473 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:02 pm

Read on Twitter

I'd love to get this guy. He's hilarious.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#474 » by spikeslovechild » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:40 am

I wouldn't be opposed to moving Simmons for AD if he gave some assurances about signing. It's actually possible to sign all four guys long term due to Harris and Butler.

It's pie in the sky this ownership won't do 3 max guys more then likely let along 3.5 or 4 but a fan can dream. Simmons, Simmons, Smith. TPE and you renounce everyone not named Butler and Harris.

That leaves around (44 million + 22 million cap hold Harris + 22 million cap hold Butler + 5 million incomplete roster charge). More then enough to fit in Davis deal.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#475 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:54 am

Jesus, I hope Klay didn't tear anything.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#476 » by PhilasFinest » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:04 am

The thought of Pairing Embiid + Anthony Davis is scary.....especially when you take their durability issues into consideration.

You would literally have to hold your breathe every step of every game.....No thanks. Id rather let Ben develop and see what happens.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#477 » by PhilasFinest » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:19 am

The more I watch the playoffs, the more I believe we need to replace TJ with a scoring/shooting PG off the bench.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#478 » by James40 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:23 am

Negrodamus wrote:Jesus, I hope Klay didn't tear anything.

Showed him leaving on crutches, the way his leg bent you would think a minimum of an MCL strain or cartilage.

Also for all I hear about Draymond being a high IQ guy, I don’t see it, he’s made some of the stupidest mistakes I’ve ever seen in this game.

Then again, Cousins guarding FVV at the 3pt line and Kerr may be the new contender.
Sixersftw
RealGM

Post#479 » by Sixersftw » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:48 am

unsubscribe
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,560

Post#480 » by FireMorey » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:50 am

When Kawhi signs with the Clippers this summer it'll be us vs Milwaukee for the East.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers