ImageImageImageImageImage

Do you think Golden State Warriors should refuse to offer Kevin Durant a max-contract?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Re: Do you think Golden State Warriors should refuse to offer Kevin Durant a max-contract? 

Post#21 » by Sleepy51 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:10 am

wco81 wrote:Warriors have to see whether revenues will be the same at Chase as they were projected to be, with them not having KD next year no matter what and unlikely to be dominating like they are.

Kerr is not going to make the stars burn up minutes but it also means more opponents are just going to try to clamp down hard on Curry and Klay, without another scoring threat on the team.

Looney and Draymond are both going to have to become credible corner 3 guys this offseason. It's a huge priority that we can't let opponents clog up the paint because no one is wiling to take a shot on the weakside.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Re: Do you think Golden State Warriors should refuse to offer Kevin Durant a max-contract? 

Post#22 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:13 am

xdrta+ wrote:
Money_ wrote:He's not leaving, he loves it here. He wants that statue.
You offer Kevin Durant anything he wants to stay. Low balling him doesn't help the team in any way.
You cannot turnaround the few million you shave off an offer and redirect to a new player.
If he rehabs as fast as Kobe did, he'll be back by March/April 2020
The Warriors will have very few options for improving the team, if Kevin Durant leaves.
Basically the team we've been seeing over the past month.

Well, the team we're seeing over the past month is in the Finals. Most franchises would take that in a heartbeat. I think a big part of why most would offer KD a max is sentiment, whether guilt or appreciation, and I don't think it's a good reason. Sure, the W's are over the cap next year, without much to work with, but the following year Iguodala comes off the books, decisions will have to be made on Draymond and, besides Steph and Klay, the entire roster will have to be revamped. I wouldn't tie up $45-50M for the following 4 yrs in an unknown quantity, which is what a 32-35 year old Durant is right now.

One implication of the injury I don't see mentioned, is that it possibly makes a sign-and-trade more plausible. A team like the Clippers could keep their cap space to sign Kawhi, for instance, enticing him with the promise of Durant the next year. Durant might agree to it for the chance to team up with Kawhi. A deal could be centered around Gallinari to the W's, possibly with Williams which would open more space for the Clips. Still a longshot, but IMO, more likely than before.

If they keep Draymond at anywhere around $30 million or more, that would still be $100 million for the big 3 in 2020-21. Presumably KD would be able to play that season.

So Iggy's 16 million comes off the books. If they're paying $100 million to 3 players not even counting KD, does it really matter if they're also paying KD at that point? Sure difference in luxury taxes but not in cap flexibility, I would think.

Even in a best case scenario, Draymond and Klay each only get about $25 million each that season. Curry should still be up around $40 million I believe, in the third year of his super max deal?

So it would still be $90 million for 3 players, meaning what $30 million for the rest of the roster if the cap is $120 million that season? Which seems to be an optimistic figure.

Whether KD is on the books or not, that doesn't seem to be a lot of room to add some better role players.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#23 » by Coxy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:40 am

whatisacenter wrote:yes, I don't even think about it twice.

Agreed. Say yes and figure it out later.

There are some up sides to this situation for the Warriors if some cards fall into place here.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#24 » by Warriorfan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:55 am

Warriors don't have many ways to improve due to salary constraints. So they will gamble on KD who at worst IMO comes back like older Dirk. It will take 2 yrs b4 we see the best of what the me KD will be.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Post#25 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:11 am

Wiretap story says they s\till plan to offer it to him.

MY guess is if another team offers him the max, he's gone.
CalGTR
Junior
And1: 248

Post#26 » by CalGTR » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:57 am

We offer both KD and Klay every dime we are allowed by rule to offer the very first minute we're allowed to offer it. Period, end of story.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#27 » by GswStorm3 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:59 am

No. He's probably not returning though.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#28 » by Samurai » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:08 am

If KD comes back at 75% during the playoffs, he will still be a far better spot-up shooter than anyone on the team not named Klay. Heck, just putting KD and Klay in the corners and let Curry handle the ball makes our offense better than it is without KD. KD was basically just a spot-up shooter in his 12 minutes in game 5 and our offense looked pretty impressive with Durant standing unguarded at the 3-point line! Even if KD isn't the iso-king that he was, he will still be 7-feet with a sweet shooting stroke. Since we'd be over the cap either way, we aren't finding a better player than a 75% KD with the little money we would have to spend on someone else.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,453

Post#29 » by whocurrz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:12 am

Unquestionably. His size and skill should make him still a very good scorer and Cousins looked fine before the quad injury. With our cap limitations we won’t be able to offer a player like him money for years so take the risk and live with any consequences since our other stars are on a timeline that needs this. If the worst happens all around we still got 3 ships and have suffered plenty to know seize the day and accept the rebuilding if it has to happen
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#30 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:44 am

Sleepy51 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Warriors have to see whether revenues will be the same at Chase as they were projected to be, with them not having KD next year no matter what and unlikely to be dominating like they are.

Kerr is not going to make the stars burn up minutes but it also means more opponents are just going to try to clamp down hard on Curry and Klay, without another scoring threat on the team.

Looney and Draymond are both going to have to become credible corner 3 guys this offseason. It's a huge priority that we can't let opponents clog up the paint because no one is wiling to take a shot on the weakside.

That's a really good point. But Drsomdostly operates at the top. He can't orchestrate from the corner. I would like to see him flash to the corners at times and maybe that COULD be a three he gets good at.

I think Looney can just as well shoot from the top and the corners. He just needs confidence, he's got the stroke for it.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#31 » by jamesnamida » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:15 am

Sleepy51 wrote:

I think dray is too old to change his shooting form( looks terrible).
Looney has a decent mid range, not sure I he can extend it well, but those are big asks.
McKinnie needs to work on his 3s all summer. He had the same problem as iggy. They are treating 3s like jump shots where you release at the apex. Steph needs to give them a lesson, as that is no longer how it should be shot..... well too late for iggy.
Jay 20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,152

Post#32 » by Jay 20 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:41 pm

They should offer him the max for 5 years. 1 for sure and maybe 1.5-2 of those years he may not be 100% himself. But even KD at 80% himself is pretty darn good and the Warriors would have hope in the 20-21 season. I think it is more realistic to build toward 2021-2022.

Steph would turn 34
Klay would turn 32
Fully healthy Durant would be 33

That's not bad honestly, but they would need role players and depth and that isn't going to happen with Draymond Green in the picture.

I've done a complete 180 on Green because of how everything has played out and the timing of his free agency. I was of the opinion that we was more valuable overall then Klay Thompson, but I'm beginning to think moving him would be the best option for this team moving forward.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#33 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:12 pm

I'm so torn on Draymond at this point, he does so many good things that I feel like we need him and he does so many stupid things I feel like he kills us at the worst possible times.

Those passes in game 6 were :nonono: :banghead: :crazy: :noway:

that's 4 emojis of suckiness so you know it's bad!
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Frozzy
Starter
And1: 2,020

Post#34 » by Frozzy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:51 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:I'm so torn on Draymond at this point, he does so many good things that I feel like we need him and he does so many stupid things I feel like he kills us at the worst possible times.

I think it's time for Kerr to change this teams offensive identity tbh. Slow it down and play more half court offense. Kerr's philosophy on running the ball down on every team as quickly as possible is way too turnover prone.

Those desperate fullcourt passes Dray does repeatedly are so dumb. Kerr has been way too lenient on that over the years.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#35 » by xdrta+ » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:03 pm

Frozzy wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:I'm so torn on Draymond at this point, he does so many good things that I feel like we need him and he does so many stupid things I feel like he kills us at the worst possible times.

I think it's time for Kerr to change this teams offensive identity tbh. Slow it down and play more half court offense. Kerr's philosophy on running the ball down on every team as quickly as possible is way too turnover prone.

Those desperate fullcourt passes Dray does repeatedly are so dumb. Kerr has been way too lenient on that over the years.

I'd say Kerr's philosophy has paid off over the years.
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,269

Post#36 » by CS707 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:06 pm

Don't we likely have more money to spend next season resigning KD assuming we'd be granted a DPE?

Or is it a one or the other with the MLE?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#37 » by xdrta+ » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:11 pm

gst8 wrote:Don't we likely have more money to spend next season resigning KD assuming we'd be granted a DPE?

No, it's a separate exception. If they apply and get it, they can go over the cap and spend up to about $9M to sign a FA, or trade for or claim a player off waivers (with restrictions.)
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,269

Post#38 » by CS707 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:14 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
gst8 wrote:Don't we likely have more money to spend next season resigning KD assuming we'd be granted a DPE?

No, it's a separate exception. If they apply and get it, they can go over the cap and spend up to about $9M to sign a FA, or trade for or claim a player off waivers (with restrictions.)

So KD walks and we just have the MLE plus minimums but if he stays we have the DPE, taxpayer MLE, and vet minimums?

Seems like resigning him is better both in the long and short term.
Frozzy
Starter
And1: 2,020

Post#39 » by Frozzy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:17 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Frozzy wrote:

I'd say Kerr's philosophy has paid off over the years.

Oh no question :lol:, not really knocking him. With all the mileage on the cores legs in this 5 year run. They're gonna have to switch it up anyway

But I think we can also cut down the turnovers
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#40 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:47 pm

Yes....ya have to sign him.

If the Warriors are going to be UNDER the cap significantly without signing him then you think about it. But that's not the case.

Sign him....BUT do not include any 'no trade' clauses ;)
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.

Return to Golden State Warriors