ImageImageImageImageImage

WOJ BOMB: Nets trade Crabbe, #17, ‘20 1st to Hawks for Taurean Prince, 2021 2nd

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Re: WOJ BOMB: Nets trade Crabbe, #17, ‘20 1st to Hawks for Taurean Prince, 2021 2nd 

Post#241 » by SpeedyG » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:02 pm

Netaman wrote:Ed is going to get a decent deal from someone (one of the exceptions) because he's a definite rotation piece, but nobody is paying Dudley or Carroll much. They are nice end of the bench vets, nothing more at this point. I'd be surprised if either gets that much more than a 1 year minimum deals a la last year's crop of vets like Channing Frye, Jarrett Jack, Dante Cunningham, Jerebko.

I disagree with this. Carroll was as valuable as Ed IMO as far as ability. The only reason Ed has more value for us is

A) Allen is paper thin and we have no other viable option behind him

B) We just got Prince, who does same things that Demmare brings

I think there's a role for Carroll on contending teams.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,068

Re: WOJ BOMB: Nets trade Crabbe, #17, ‘20 1st to Hawks for Taurean Prince, 2021 2nd 

Post#242 » by Netaman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:25 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
Netaman wrote:Ed is going to get a decent deal from someone (one of the exceptions) because he's a definite rotation piece, but nobody is paying Dudley or Carroll much. They are nice end of the bench vets, nothing more at this point. I'd be surprised if either gets that much more than a 1 year minimum deals a la last year's crop of vets like Channing Frye, Jarrett Jack, Dante Cunningham, Jerebko.

I disagree with this. Carroll was as valuable as Ed IMO as far as ability. The only reason Ed has more value for us is

A) Allen is paper thin and we have no other viable option behind him

B) We just got Prince, who does same things that Demmare brings

I think there's a role for Carroll on contending teams.

A role sure, but I doubt he gets much more than the minimum if at all. He's going to be 33 years old next season and last year he didn't shoot the ball all that well. Want to know how many players 33yo+ got more than the minimum in FA last year? 7 (including LBJ + CP3 max deals). The others were:

Dirk 1yr 5m
Tony Parker 2 years 10m
Redick 1 year 12m
Ariza 1 year 15m
Tolliver 1 year 5.7m

Ariza and Redick each started 60+ games.

That's compared to 11 who got minimum deals including VC, Wade, Crawford, Haslem, Calderon, Frye, Jack, Devin Harris, Pachulia, Felton, Deng, Nick Young.

Could Carroll be the lucky one like Tolliver last year? Sure, if someone wants him badly enough. Odds say most vets over 32 who aren't starters get minimum deals though.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#243 » by 3pt_chucker » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:47 pm

I think Carroll is def looking for a Tolliver type deal, where he goes to a young-ish team, that could make the playoff, that is looking for a quality vet/locker room guy who still provides value on the court.

IF he goes to a legit contender though, he'll barely get more than the minimum.

Same thing with Dudley imo, I doubt he gets more that the minimum from anyone.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#244 » by drchaos » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:54 pm

Question about the young guys:

Theo Pinson and Allan Williams are currently restricted free agents with cap holds of $1,643,842 and $1,443,842 respectively. What is the minimum amount that we could sign these players for to add them to the active roster?
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#245 » by kamaze » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:01 pm

Brooklyn can pay him that money forget those other teams. I'm confident he'd stay here if it was the same money. He's a good player pay him what he's worth.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
kamaze
General Manager

Post#246 » by kamaze » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:16 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:tbh out of our 3 big vets this year (Dudley, Davis, and Carroll), I want Davis back the most. I don't think Allen is quite ready for the entire load at center and he could use another year of being mentored by Davis. But I do think Dudley comes back after all the dust settles. He seems like he really wants to be in Brooklyn. He's all over NY in his Twitter posts recently.

“Me personally, I would love to be back,” Davis said. “But y’all know how free agency works. Sean, they’re going to go after the top free agents as they should, and then however it goes, if everybody else falls in line, that’s just how it works and we’ll see what happens.”
-Ed Davis

He's an unrestricted free agent though so it's tricky if a team offers him a bag he might just take it. I'd like to bring him back plus draft another center.

I'd like them to bring Dudley back as well after they get a power forward.

kamaze
General Manager

Post#247 » by kamaze » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:17 pm

kamaze wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:tbh out of our 3 big vets this year (Dudley, Davis, and Carroll), I want Davis back the most. I don't think Allen is quite ready for the entire load at center and he could use another year of being mentored by Davis. But I do think Dudley comes back after all the dust settles. He seems like he really wants to be in Brooklyn. He's all over NY in his Twitter posts recently.

“Me personally, I would love to be back,” Davis said. “But y’all know how free agency works. Sean, they’re going to go after the top free agents as they should, and then however it goes, if everybody else falls in line, that’s just how it works and we’ll see what happens.”
-Ed Davis

He's an unrestricted free agent though so it's tricky if a team offers him a bag he might just take it. I'd like to bring him back plus draft another center.

I'd like them to bring Dudley back as well after they get a power forward.

“I’m at a point in my career where I don’t want to keep bouncing around,” Davis told The Athletic. “This is my fifth team. I’ve got a wife and kids. They like it here. It’s close to home, so hopefully, when the season is over, we can figure something out and make something work.”

Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,068

Post#248 » by Netaman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:19 pm

Agreed - I think Davis is back with the room exception, which is close to what he made this past year on his 1 year deal.
kamaze
General Manager

Post#249 » by kamaze » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:20 pm

drchaos wrote:

Dudley stepped up big in the playoffs.

Due to his age he won't get much which is why I would use our exemption on him this year.

drchaos
Rookie

Post#250 » by drchaos » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:31 pm

drchaos wrote:Question about the young guys:

Theo Pinson and Allan Williams are currently restricted free agents with cap holds of $1,643,842 and $1,443,842 respectively. What is the minimum amount that we could sign these players for to add them to the active roster?

Anyone?
SpeedyG
RealGM

Post#251 » by SpeedyG » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:43 pm

drchaos wrote:

Anyone?
We are most likely going to have to rescind our rights to them if we're planning to big game hunt (which is what seems to be happening).

drchaos
Rookie

Post#252 » by drchaos » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:59 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
drchaos wrote:

Anyone?
We are most likely going to have to rescind our rights to them if we're planning to big game hunt (which is what seems to be happening).

After the hunt we will have a couple spots for players at or near the minimum. I am trying to understand what these guys will make and if we can afford to keep one or both (especially Pinson).
SpeedyG
RealGM

Post#253 » by SpeedyG » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:04 pm

drchaos wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:
drchaos wrote:
Anyone?

After the hunt we will have a couple spots for players at or near the minimum. I am trying to understand what these guys will make and if we can afford to keep one or both (especially Pinson).

Since we are renouncing their rights, they are basically just like any other FA off the street. Assuming we cap out, they can sign here for the minimum (exception will likely go to Ed Davis).

And if we don't cap out, there are no situation where we are using our precious cap space to sign back these two guys.

If they are here after we start filling our roster up, they are coming back as 2 way players again or minimum contracts.

drchaos
Rookie

Post#254 » by drchaos » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:19 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
drchaos wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:We are most likely going to have to rescind our rights to them if we're planning to big game hunt (which is what seems to be happening).

Since we are renouncing their rights, they are basically just like any other FA off the street. Assuming we cap out, they can sign here for the minimum (exception will likely go to Ed Davis).

And if we don't cap out, there are no situation where we are using our precious cap space to sign back these two guys.

If they are here after we start filling our roster up, they are coming back as 2 way players again or minimum contracts.

That sounds good.

When I saw how big the cap holds were I thought they might be more expensive than last year.

Return to Brooklyn Nets