Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

ragesincemdxvi
Junior
And1: 374

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#281 » by ragesincemdxvi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:57 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:Enjoy the flat earth illuminati, Nets fans. You will either love him or hate him within 6 months of his signing with you. I feel like you'll be sick of his meaningless interview rants within 2-3 months for sure.

You sound like an ex after a bad breakup :lol:
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#282 » by SpeedyG » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:57 pm

BleedGreen1989 wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:So unless Kyrie goes to a team that can win a chip immediately or teams up with LBJ/Durant he's making a bad move or is an idiot.

Why can't the guy just go to a young up and coming team that is close to home and that he grew up liking as a kid (idolizing J-Kidd). They appear to have teammates like Russell who will embrace him and want him unlike the majority of C's fans and teammates like Rozier who think they are the next Kobe apparently.

People care way to much about what he chooses for himself and his family. Let the guy do what he wants if it makes him happy.

I mean he obviously thinks highly of his game and think he can help BK get better. Oh Nets aren't winning anything by adding Kyrie so they should just not add him then? Are Knicks and C's fans that salty that they have to tear the guy down as a bad person and cancer because he had 1 rough season in BOS and thinks the world is flat.

BK fans should be thrilled to land a top 15 player in the NBA. It makes them a better team then they were last year. If they never win a chip with Kyrie because they can't get past Giannis or Kawhi it still is a good move to bring in high end talent that wants to play with your team.

I mean, it’s not salt, it’s a reality of the situation.

It’s your friend dating a really beautiful girl, they break up and he tells you what a nightmare she was, she then shows interest in you, and you’re telling your friend until you’re blue in the face despite his warnings “Yeah, but it’ll be different with me. What happened was probably your fault...”
It could so be that, yes...she just wasn't into you.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Post#283 » by Rockice_24 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:57 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
DowJones wrote:I don't understand why Kyrie is going to Brooklyn. It just doesn't make sense. Does he just want to live there? if he struggled to lead Boston, how is he going to lead Brooklyn?
He's not going to be "forced" to lead the Nets. He will just be his weird peculiar self dropping 20 points and 7 assists.

Seriously. The guy doesn't have to lead anyone. Our front office leads, our coach leads we have guys who have been around for a few years and know how to be pros at this point. He's not coming in here to show the team how to be NBA players or carry them to the playoffs. All the guy has to do is play with effort wherever he goes and he'll be fine.
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#284 » by L3GEND4RY » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:58 pm

iamworthy wrote:The last 10 minutes or so of the Zach Lowe podcast is interesting.

Summary if you don’t mind?

Signature by freshcontrast
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#285 » by SpeedyG » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:58 pm

iamworthy wrote:The last 10 minutes or so of the Zach Lowe podcast is interesting.
recap?

Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Rockice_24
Starter

Post#286 » by Rockice_24 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:01 pm

nedleeds wrote:Thank you Nets I can never repay you! You've saved us from ourselves.

You are welcome. Nets fans should be thrilled to sign one of the 15 best players in the NBA. How will they sleep at night.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#287 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:05 pm

If KD goes with kyrie he’ll be fine....if it’s just kyrie or kyrie with a tier 2 guy like Harris or even kyrie and DLO In 18 months he’ll moody again. Once that honeymoon period wears off it it’s just him it’s gonna be something to see.

I wanted kyrie back basically so we could have gotten AD and I know kyrie is an exceptional talent. Hes unbelievable to watch when he gets going and he’s an underrated passer. He’s just really weird and just lacks self awareness even for an athlete in ways I couldn’t believe. Takes the energy out of the room.

With KD his buddy I don’t see any problems tho and the nets should be excited about the chance to pair them up
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#288 » by iamworthy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:08 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
recap?

Howard Beck says there's no way Brooklyn would ever pair Russell and Kyrie

Zach talks about the chemistry problems Kyrie had on and off the court. Says that Brooklyn's culture is top notch and to move heaven and earth to clear two max slots and one of the guys your bringing in is Kyrie would seemingly mean another guy is coming with him. In other words, you don't let Kyrie be the face or head of the team.

Honestly Zach sounds surprised the nets would bring Kyrie in... That's how I heard it at least.
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#289 » by L3GEND4RY » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:13 pm

iamworthy wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:
recap?

Zach talks about the chemistry problems Kyrie had on and off the court. Says that Brooklyn's culture is top notch and to move heaven and earth to clear two max slots and one of the guys your bringing in is Kyrie would seemingly mean another guy is coming with him.

Honestly Zach sounds surprised the nets would bring Kyrie in... That's how I heard it at least.

Not surprised. Kyrie never fully bought into what Boston was trying to do. I can recall a handful of post-game pressers where he would disparage the young guys publicly. The culture and team identity was enviable before this whole **** show ensued. Hopefully it is just a “change of scenery needed” type of deal.

Signature by freshcontrast
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#290 » by macNcheese3 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:14 pm

Do they sign and trade Russell possibly?
BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Post#291 » by BleedGreen1989 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:35 pm

Edit
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,900

Post#292 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:38 pm

ragesincemdxvi wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:Enjoy the flat earth illuminati, Nets fans. You will either love him or hate him within 6 months of his signing with you. I feel like you'll be sick of his meaningless interview rants within 2-3 months for sure.

You sound like an ex after a bad breakup :lol:

Cool.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
UNCBlue012
Analyst
And1: 4,139

Post#293 » by UNCBlue012 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:41 pm

I mean, in the end, it is what it is.

Yeah, it would suck and is a kick in the nuts, but it's a business and business comes first.

The only thing is that Kyrie should have kept his mouth shut if he isn't coming back. I get he probably intended to so from the beginning but don't say it. Let it play out.
shi-woo
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,206

Post#294 » by shi-woo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:55 pm

Don't really understand it other than wanting to play in NY, but as a Celtic fan I'm okay with it.

We gave up a mediocre lottery pick for a 2 year window that got held back by injuries to our Allstars. It happens.

I'm just as excited to see Brown and Tatum as the main guys, and what Brad learned from this year. Our division is going to be the best in basketball for the next decade, and good competition is all we ask for.

Wish it had worked out, Kyrie was one of my favorite players, but Ainge set us up to be a solid young team incase something like this did happen.

Sent from my D6708 using RealGM mobile app
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,309

Post#295 » by Ambrose » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:13 pm

Kind of a blessing for Boston. Unless him staying cemented AD resigning they had no incentive to keep him. They were worse when he played. Get the young guys a chance to shine, clear the air in the locker room and see what you have there before Ainge swindles some other idiot GM for more assets.
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#296 » by matt6715 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:19 pm

Harden2Dwight wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Harden2Dwight wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/homePct

Even then it's pretty piss poor -- especially when you look at the population of NY Metro and say the Knicks have fans. Brooklyn alone has ~2.5 mil.
Nets weren't expected to be a good team this year, and were a surprise team. If you followed the team, you'd see that the fans attendance grew over the season as the team started winning games, and by end of season, it was really good for a young team with lack of star power.

I understand that, but to the original posters point, I think the Nets can definitely use some new fan support. Kyrie would certainly help in that regard.

Anyone who has ever been to Barclays knows it might be the worst, least engaged fanbase in the NBA from an in-arena perspective. Its filled with new yorkers who have no allegiance to the team but found seats on stubhub for $20 and go have a night out. The real Nets fans were abandoned when they moved to Brooklyn.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#297 » by nedleeds » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:30 pm

Rockice_24 wrote:
nedleeds wrote:Thank you Nets I can never repay you! You've saved us from ourselves.

You are welcome. Nets fans should be thrilled to sign one of the 15 best players in the NBA. How will they sleep at night.

Enjoy years 3 and 4, dude hasn't finished the season 2 of the last 4 years and has 45 year old knees. I'd happily take him on a 1+1.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Rockice_24
Starter

Post#298 » by Rockice_24 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:46 pm

matt6715 wrote:
Harden2Dwight wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Nets weren't expected to be a good team this year, and were a surprise team. If you followed the team, you'd see that the fans attendance grew over the season as the team started winning games, and by end of season, it was really good for a young team with lack of star power.

I understand that, but to the original posters point, I think the Nets can definitely use some new fan support. Kyrie would certainly help in that regard.

Anyone who has ever been to Barclays knows it might be the worst, least engaged fanbase in the NBA from an in-arena perspective. Its filled with new yorkers who have no allegiance to the team but found seats on stubhub for $20 and go have a night out. The real Nets fans were abandoned when they moved to Brooklyn.

The arena was sold out down the stretch and was loud in the playoffs. The team was coming off of years of misery with about as bleak a future in the NBA that there was so it was the first time in a long time they have been good. Very few fan bases can pack the arena and have it rocking when the team has stunk for years.

This isn't a Brooklyn issue only. If they build off last year the fans will come and the atmosphere will be much improved.

Win and you get support just like most teams. Knicks, Lakers Boston might be the only teams that can lose and still pack an arena.
Rockice_24
Starter

Post#299 » by Rockice_24 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:51 pm

nedleeds wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:

Enjoy years 3 and 4, dude hasn't finished the season 2 of the last 4 years and has 45 year old knees. I'd happily take him on a 1+1.

Is what it is. Nets can load manage because they'll have solid depth and they also only play their guys 30 MPG. Kyrie was probably a mid 30's type player previously and probably barely took any nights off. That could help keep him fresh because they did it with Russell who had some issues himself and he played a full season.

It's not a 10 year deal like baseball so it's worth the risk.
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,408

Post#300 » by Mr Loggins » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:52 pm

L3GEND4RY wrote:
iamworthy wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:recap?

Zach talks about the chemistry problems Kyrie had on and off the court. Says that Brooklyn's culture is top notch and to move heaven and earth to clear two max slots and one of the guys your bringing in is Kyrie would seemingly mean another guy is coming with him.

Not surprised. Kyrie never fully bought into what Boston was trying to do. I can recall a handful of post-game pressers where he would disparage the young guys publicly. The culture and team identity was enviable before this whole **** show ensued. Hopefully it is just a “change of scenery needed” type of deal.

Color me shocked that someone who wanted out of a finals team in Cle so he could be “the man” (threatening to shut down and have surgery if he want traded) would disparage his young team mates

Return to The General Board