Woj: Kawhi still leaning towards Clippers, Raptors have a lot of work to do still

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Woj: Kawhi still leaning towards Clippers, Raptors have a lot of work to do still 

Post#1 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:57 pm

ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported on SportsCenter on Friday morning that Leonard, who can opt-out of his contract and become a free agent this offseason, is still leaning towards signing with the L.A. Clippers this summer and that the Raptors “still have a lot of work to do.”

“He came to Toronto, with the idea from San Antonio, this was a very fine one year way station and I’m sure exceeded his expectations how they managed him physically to be a Finals MVP again, to win a championship,” Wojnarowski said, as transcribed by Bleacher Report.

“But there was always the risk of him going back west. The L.A. Clippers are at the very top of that list, and I think the Raptors still have work to do between now and June 30 and the start of free agency to keep Kawhi Leonard in Toronto.”

https://thebiglead.com/2019/06/14/woj-raptors-still-have-a-lot-of-work-to-do-to-keep-kawhi-leonard/
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,026

Re: Woj: Kawhi still leaning towards Clippers, Raptors have a lot of work to do still 

Post#2 » by heatwillbeback » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:59 pm

Kawhi is a west coast guy.

Winning changes things but the thought was he always wanted to end up on the west coast.
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,654

Re: Woj: Kawhi still leaning towards Clippers, Raptors have a lot of work to do still 

Post#3 » by shtolky » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:59 pm

What work would Toronto possibly have to do? They catered to his load management needs, they won a title, and they want him back in the worst way. No work has to be done. If he leaves Toronto now, he was never staying no matter what happened.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,313

Post#4 » by mtcan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:00 pm

I'm not sure what kind "work" is to be done. Is it to shift the axis of the Earth such that Toronto has a tropical climate 365 days a year?
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,643

Post#5 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:00 pm

If he goes to LA it's simply because he wants to be home, I don't think anyone should be mad at him if he does leave that's the reason. Cause I don't see how the Clippers are a better basketball situation than the Raptors are right now.
Saciid11
General Manager
And1: 4,225

Post#6 » by Saciid11 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:01 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported on SportsCenter on Friday morning that Leonard, who can opt-out of his contract and become a free agent this offseason, is still leaning towards signing with the L.A. Clippers this summer and that the Raptors “still have a lot of work to do.”

“He came to Toronto, with the idea from San Antonio, this was a very fine one year way station and I’m sure exceeded his expectations how they managed him physically to be a Finals MVP again, to win a championship,” Wojnarowski said, as transcribed by Bleacher Report.

“But there was always the risk of him going back west. The L.A. Clippers are at the very top of that list, and I think the Raptors still have work to do between now and June 30 and the start of free agency to keep Kawhi Leonard in Toronto.”

https://thebiglead.com/2019/06/14/woj-raptors-still-have-a-lot-of-work-to-do-to-keep-kawhi-leonard/

Just like they said Paul George was leaving OKC last year, they are wrong here too. Kawhi has absolutely no reason to leave a team he just won a championship for franchise like clippers. Kawhi is most certainly staying in Toronto to go for repeat ..
Hephaestus
Senior
And1: 793

Post#7 » by Hephaestus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:01 pm

He wants to win that 1st championship for Clippers now
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#8 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:03 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:If he goes to LA it's simply because he wants to be home, I don't think anyone should be mad at him if he does leave that's the reason. Cause I don't see how the Clippers are a better basketball situation than the Raptors are right now.

I think the Raptors are more built to win the next year or two. If you compare rosters top to bottom, assets, flexibility etc.. I think the Clippers (with Kawhi of course) will be better for 5+ years almost certainly. Lowry and Gasol are due to fall off a cliff at any time. Ibaka likely won't continue this resurgence. It's basically gonna be Kawhi+Siakam and an inferior role player cast outside of that. I get Siakam is the best young player, but he's not better than Harrell+SGA+Shamet combined for example. Clippers are younger with their core and the vets they do have like Lou/Gallo are borderline all star guys. So I still disagree that's it's a pure LA decision. Likely biggest factor, but the Clippers front office, ownership, coaching and future prospects are top tier as well.

All this said, I expect him to stay anyway.

thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,897

Post#9 » by thebigbird » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:03 pm

Lol man, not even giving them 24 hours to celebrate.
Ions
Senior
And1: 1,408

Post#10 » by Ions » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:03 pm

Woj can go suck his momma. Pouring salt on our celebration every chance he gets
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#11 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:04 pm

shtolky wrote:What work would Toronto possibly have to do? They catered to his load management needs, they won a title, and they want him back in the worst way. No work has to be done. If he leaves Toronto now, he was never staying no matter what happened.

Apparently they need to move the team to LA...
(just kidding of course)

This does make me wonder, how is Woj privy to Kahwi's innermost thoughts? Are there 2 little Woj dudes standing on Kawhi's shoulders whispering in his ears, one in Raptors jersey and the other in Clippers jersey?
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,604

Post#12 » by Dirk » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:04 pm

Let the guy have his parade. This is nonsensical.
60/21/10
Stromile12
Head Coach
And1: 13,229

Post#13 » by Stromile12 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:04 pm

stopped reading at raps have a lot of work to do... lol what is this garbage
Saciid11
General Manager

Post#14 » by Saciid11 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:04 pm

shtolky wrote:What work would Toronto possibly have to do? They catered to his load management needs, they won a title, and they want him back in the worst way. No work has to be done. If he leaves Toronto now, he was never staying no matter what happened.

Woj and all these media outlets doing everything possible to get Kawhi and Masai out of Toronto. It hasn’t been 24hr and this dude has two stories cantering around Raptors GM and star player. F em and I hope Kawhi gives them big middle finger like Paul George and sings with the raptors long term.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#15 » by soxfan2003 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:04 pm

tough... really tough since I don't know much more they can do at this point. Maybe Leonard doesn't want to take risk of 1+1 deal and is concerned about Raptors relying on so many older player in addition to the younger Siakam. Maybe trading Siakam plus picks + Gasol for AD, would convince him to stay. Tough if it takes such a move since AD himself wants to play for Lakers.

With Leonard back, Toronto deserves to be title favorite for next year but its close and their roster including Leonard to a certain extent is aging.

If Leonard is thinking his next deal should be 3-4 years at least, I think the work Toronto needs to do is just convince Leonard, they are positioned well for those 3-4 years and not just next year.

Maybe part of the work is keeping the gm.

Who knows....
Banner18
Freshman
And1: 59

Post#16 » by Banner18 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:05 pm

It never ceases to shock me how willing players are to trade legacy for warm weather.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#17 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Ions wrote:Woj can go suck his momma. Pouring salt on our celebration every chance he gets

I do wonder why Woj keeps smacking the Raptors while pushing a pro LA agenda on everything. It's gotten worse since the move to ESPN.

tradejosehesux
Starter
And1: 3,858

Post#18 » by tradejosehesux » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Woj also said the Wiz were preparing a massive offer for MU, which seems to have been shot down today.
Jazz9
Analyst
And1: 6,482

Post#19 » by Jazz9 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:06 pm

Any other player I'd say they would stay 100% after that title.
Kawhi is different though and I'm sure he's known what he's gonna do for a while and winning or losing wasn't gonna change his mind.
Saciid11
General Manager

Post#20 » by Saciid11 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:07 pm

Ions wrote:Woj can go suck his momma. Pouring salt on our celebration every chance he gets

Two stories regarding raptors GM and star player less then 24hr after winning nba championship.

Return to The General Board