ImageImageImage

Thread for PO Series OTHER THAN US -- Part 2

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,299

Re: Thread for PO Series OTHER THAN US -- Part 2 

Post#1341 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:04 pm

jcappy wrote:Should of... would of... blah blah. You know what I love: the NY Knicks are stepping aside from the AD madness because their management has come to agree that the price is TOO HIGH. I wish Danny Boy would arrive at the same conclusion. Cuz Leonard's Finals performance was at best only slightly better than Toronto's point guards... maybe not even as contributing to the wins

I wonder if any of the Knicks front office were involved in the Carmelo trade.

I could understand them being gun shy if they lived through that trade.
jcappy
Sixth Man
And1: 515

Post#1342 » by jcappy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:33 pm

wco81 wrote:
jcappy wrote:Should of... would of... blah blah. You know what I love: the NY Knicks are stepping aside from the AD madness because their management has come to agree that the price is TOO HIGH. I wish Danny Boy would arrive at the same conclusion. Cuz Leonard's Finals performance was at best only slightly better than Toronto's point guards... maybe not even as contributing to the wins

I wonder if any of the Knicks front office were involved in the Carmelo trade.

I could understand them being gun shy if they lived through that trade.

And, if we had ended up with Kevin Love (this Board's consensus heart throb), we would have gotten our own Carmelo-like dose of reality. And, by now, might be stepping aside too (tho raising the ante for LA may be worth staying in)

Oh, it occurs to me to that all of Toronto's roster are from picks 15 (Leonard) on down in the draft--and yet so many of us skoff at picks below no 5 and want to toss them away in a package for the Headliner who will bring us Championships.
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
~ Muhammad Ali
Fantaxp7
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,693

Post#1343 » by Fantaxp7 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:47 pm

Good for Toronto.

But it really just feels weird. Like you get to the final boss on a video game and you're shocked at how easy it was.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#1344 » by Roddy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:36 pm

The Marc Gasol trade was so important....most of the deadline trades are often useless. This one just bring a ring. Everybody is talking about Kawhi and Siakam, but Gasol was a key player for them.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,182

Post#1345 » by soxfan2003 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:29 pm

celticgreenie wrote:Zach Lowe article:
"If there is a team feeling Leonard regret now, it is Boston. The Celtics had the coveted young players and draft picks to outbid Toronto. Boston larded up its offer with draft picks, but declined to include Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown without gaining more assurance than was possible about Leonard's health and interest in re-signing, sources said at the time of the trade.

Boston's fretful waffling was understandable in the moment. Brown appeared on track to be an All-Star. Maybe more important, Boston believed it had a championship team already. They had just taken James and the Cleveland Cavaliers to Game 7 without Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward. Was it worth trading a key piece of what appeared then to be both a championship present and future to rent Leonard and watch him leave?

(It is incredible how much has changed for Boston in the past calendar year -- how many things went wrong, how many carefully laid plans appear in jeopardy.)

Acquiring Leonard also would have left Boston with four max-salary players in Irving, Hayward, Leonard and Al Horford -- untenable for long. Boston was saving its chips for Anthony Davis. Everyone around the league -- including the Raptors -- wondered if Leonard's health would ever allow him to be the player he was in 2017.

In retrospect, Boston was both too cautious and too optimistic about its existing core. (I was, too, by the way. Speaking of thin margins: A lot of us got so wrapped up in Boston pushing Cleveland to seven that we breezed past the fact that a middling Milwaukee team had done the same to the Celtics two rounds earlier.)"

Decent comments by Lowe here but I think he misses one big point.

You trade Brown/filler and a pick for Leonard and you still have a team with an overabundance of small forwards in Leonard, Tatum and Hayward. Hayward was hard to move with his injury. Tatum was hard to move based upon potential.

Is Leonard playing with an injury that needs to be managed happy at PF on full-time basis?

I think Ainge made a mistake in not going in on a Leonard rental if Spurs would have been happy enough with Brown instead of Tatum but I can somewhat understand why he didn't do it.

Now if Ainge thought Irving and post injury Hayward were going to make Celtics championship favorites, he needs to get his head examined. Warriors smashed the Cavs last year and that is 10X more relevant than Celtics making ECFinals in a conference of bad teams.

If Ainge had made no promises to Kyrie Irving. The move he should have explored is Irving plus a pick for Leonard. I doubt Spurs had interest in Irving but maybe trade could have been done with third party if Celtics willing to let go of more than just Irving.
Iguodaladon
Pro Prospect
And1: 954

Post#1346 » by Iguodaladon » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:41 pm

Glad the Raptors won, just happy to see someone other than Golden State win for once. This series gave me newfound respect for the Warriors tho; that is a legit, strong team who are extremely well-coached. They battled hard in this series and gave it their all.

Raptors played incredible team basketball- Kahwaii didn't look 100% in this series and apart from that spurt in 4th quarter game 5, never really looked like his complete world-beater self, but the whole team stepped up. VanVleet, Ibaka, Lowry and Gasol all played a huge part in winning that championship so hats off to them.

Still can't believe we are sat here in June watching the Raptors lift the trophy :lol: really thought it was gonna be our year
Obama to Zach Lavine: ‘I used to be able to get up like you back in the day.’
Jaren Jackson Jr on Doncic: 'I thought he was a myth'
Detective
Head Coach
And1: 24,545

Post#1347 » by Detective » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:58 am

Much love and respect, C's fam. Looking forward to our intense games against you next season, and for more years to come. It's always amazing when our teams play.

Best of luck this offseason. Come back stronger.

Return to Boston Celtics