ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors in 2020: its all about defense

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,161

Warriors in 2020: its all about defense 

Post#1 » by cpower » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:03 pm

It's been a great run but we fell short this year in the finals. If you look back from 2014 to today, team has been slowly shifting from Best defense/ok offense to Best offense/ok defense...and then our defense was historically bad in the finals..With every star getting older, we need to get back to our old brand of basketball and give Curry/Klay more margin of errors to bear in the PS..

Assuming KD is gone, we need to keep Klay/Looney so that the core stays the same. We need to stack more length inside, on the wing and we need to get a real PG..If we can pick up a few gems like VanVleet, Siakam, House, Beverley...we could be back into business again like 2015.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Re: Warriors in 2020 

Post#2 » by azwfan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:36 pm

I think we got 1 gem in Looney. But yeah, we need another 1 or 2 with Livingston likely retiring this summer and Iguodala will be gone too by time Klay's 100% again.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#3 » by Sleepy51 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:04 am

Ideally Iguodala will retire this year, but then unretire next year. Can you win sixth man of the year by sitting out to help the team tank?
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#4 » by marthafokker » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:41 am

KD might not be gone? I saw on SFGate that Mychael Thompson said conversation between KD and Klay that they had "unfinished business".

I assumed this mean KD resigns?
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#5 » by HiRez » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:43 am

There’s at least 3 or 4 threads on the off-season already, talking about the same stuff. Can we consolidate some of these unless it’s a specific topic?
BayArea
Sophomore
And1: 26

Post#6 » by BayArea » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:06 pm

Warriors in 2020, SKIPPED!

Warriros in 2021, NBA Champions!
Before getting injured in Game 5 of the 2019 Western Conference semifinals, Durant averaged 34.2 points on 51.3% shooting (41.6% from 3-point range), 4.9 assists and 5.2 rebounds. :banghead:
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 763

Post#7 » by jaymo123 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:38 pm

This is what I see happening in 2020 for the Dubs, they load up on 1 year contracts for vets. Steph becomes MVP for the 3rd time because he will have the greenest of green lights, yet he may only play 70 games. Dubs make the playoffs as the 4th or 5th seed, shock everyone by making it to the West Conference Finals, yet lose to the Rockets or Clippers if Kwahi signs.

Forgot to add that Klay and KD, although cleared to play in the postseason, never play a game next year.
cpower
RealGM

Post#8 » by cpower » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:39 pm

jaymo123 wrote:This is what I see happening in 2020 for the Dubs, they load up on 1 year contracts for vets. Steph becomes MVP for the 3rd time because he will have the greenest of green lights, yet he may only play 70 games. Dubs make the playoffs as the 4th or 5th seed, shock everyone by making it to the West Conference Finals, yet lose to the Rockets or Clippers if Kwahi signs.

Forgot to add that Klay and KD, although cleared to play in the postseason, never play a game next year.

Need to pick up defenders or this era is over for us.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#9 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:50 pm

[quote="cpower"][quote="jaymo123"]This is what I see happening in 2020 for the Dubs, they load up on 1 year contracts for vets. Steph becomes MVP for the 3rd time because he will have the greenest of green lights, yet he may only play 70 games. Dubs make the playoffs as the 4th or 5th seed, shock everyone by making it to the West Conference Finals, yet lose to the Rockets or Clippers if Kwahi signs.

Forgot to add that Klay and KD, although cleared to play in the postseason, never play a game next year.[/quote]
Need to pick up defenders or this era is over for us.[/quote]

Not just defenders. We were woeful at times with bench shooting scoring. So ideally we grab some shooters and also defenders. But we really need shooters.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Re: Warriors in 2020: its all about defense 

Post#10 » by DAWill1128 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:08 am

I actually thought we lost due to offense not defense. When KD went down we went a lot of bad stretches on offense with only Steph or Klay on the floor as a scorer. Cousins was more a decoy by the time he got back, he never got his 20+ scoring game back. The Raptors ran a box and 1 to beat us, that should tell you about the lack of offensive options. Our defense gave us a shot in the game when Klay went down, we did not have the scorers to pull it out.

The regular season defensive numbers are one thing, that's effort. But I think we actually play good playoff defense, we have a good system. I would consider Dray, Bogut, Looney, Iggy, Shaun, Evans, Bell, even Jones to all be guys that can bring good defensive skillsets. But Dray is hit or miss and the rest of the guys do not provide much on offense. The Raptors were tough because they had 8 guys who could shoot or put the ball on the deck.

The lack of offensive options have led to our demise, we used to have guys like Speights, Barbosa, and Lee who could get you 20 points. We used to have a lot more shooters like Rush, Holiday, Barnes, Clark, Speights, Barbosa, Young where our bench could contribute to shooting teams out of the building.

Especially next year, with Klay and KD injured and Cousins leaving we do not have enough offensive players to make the playoffs. I think we will play good defense but hitting 100 points on a nightly basis is a complete prayer. Sometimes a bad offense leads to turnovers and more posessions and fastbreaks for the other team.
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#11 » by jamesnamida » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:35 am

How did mil win so many games with 1 major star?
Length, D, and 3 point shooting
How where Houston so good in 18 with 2 stars? 3 point shooting and switching D
How were gsw so good in 15/16? 3 point shooting and D

If we can get tall shooters 1-5, we will be a mid seed without klay all season. Only real trade asset is green.

I don’t believe our D was that bad this playoffs( our personal were ok). It’s playing a whole series constantly doubling and trying to rotate. Played on our heels. That’s on the defensive game plan. Only worked on Houston and Portland cause their role players couldn’t hit open shots.
cpower
RealGM

Post#12 » by cpower » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:14 am

DAWill1128 wrote:I actually thought we lost due to offense not defense. When KD went down we went a lot of bad stretches on offense with only Steph or Klay on the floor as a scorer. Cousins was more a decoy by the time he got back, he never got his 20+ scoring game back. The Raptors ran a box and 1 to beat us, that should tell you about the lack of offensive options. Our defense gave us a shot in the game when Klay went down, we did not have the scorers to pull it out.

The regular season defensive numbers are one thing, that's effort. But I think we actually play good playoff defense, we have a good system. I would consider Dray, Bogut, Looney, Iggy, Shaun, Evans, Bell, even Jones to all be guys that can bring good defensive skillsets. But Dray is hit or miss and the rest of the guys do not provide much on offense. The Raptors were tough because they had 8 guys who could shoot or put the ball on the deck.

The lack of offensive options have led to our demise, we used to have guys like Speights, Barbosa, and Lee who could get you 20 points. We used to have a lot more shooters like Rush, Holiday, Barnes, Clark, Speights, Barbosa, Young where our bench could contribute to shooting teams out of the building.

Especially next year, with Klay and KD injured and Cousins leaving we do not have enough offensive players to make the playoffs. I think we will play good defense but hitting 100 points on a nightly basis is a complete prayer. Sometimes a bad offense leads to turnovers and more posessions and fastbreaks for the other team.

no we lost on the defensive side, 100%. We scored 110 a game in the finals with and without KD/Klay. When you have a star scoring 47 points in a finals game and couldn't get a W, you know the defense blows. We made Siakim, Green, Ibaka, Lowry and VanVleet all look like all stars out there.
BayArea
Sophomore
And1: 26

Post#13 » by BayArea » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:41 am

Warriors in 2020

31-51 record, tanking mode activated!
Before getting injured in Game 5 of the 2019 Western Conference semifinals, Durant averaged 34.2 points on 51.3% shooting (41.6% from 3-point range), 4.9 assists and 5.2 rebounds. :banghead:
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#14 » by jamesnamida » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:09 am

cpower wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:I actually thought we lost due to offense not defense. When KD went down we went a lot of bad stretches on offense with only Steph or Klay on the floor as a scorer. Cousins was more a decoy by the time he got back, he never got his 20+ scoring game back. The Raptors ran a box and 1 to beat us, that should tell you about the lack of offensive options. Our defense gave us a shot in the game when Klay went down, we did not have the scorers to pull it out.

no we lost on the defensive side, 100%. We scored 110 a game in the finals with and without KD/Klay. When you have a star scoring 47 points in a finals game and couldn't get a W, you know the defense blows. We made Siakim, Green, Ibaka, Lowry and VanVleet all look like all stars out there.

That’s on the game plan though. We committed to doubling, and they out passed our rotations. Also they killed in the pick and roll. I mean who do we have that are actually bad defensive players?
Curry cook and cousins. That’s it.
One you have to live with, the other two are only playing bc we don’t have anyone else who can make shots. Curry went ham scoring 47, but the rest of the team shot 1-13 from 3.

Having defensive non shooters don’t work. Look at lakers/okc this year. The league is always bias towards offense. You need great 3 point shooting + decent defense. Great defense and bad shooting won’t cut it, even with curry on the floor.

Return to Golden State Warriors