Post#21 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 2:17 pm

I like Clarke a lot too.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Re: Offer sheet Russell? 

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 4, 2019 5:07 pm

Shams Charania reported today on the Athletic that Indy is among a handful of teams expected to show interest in Russell. Utah, Orlando and Minnesota were also listed, along with Brooklyn keeping him.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 4, 2019 5:11 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Shams Charania reported today on the Athletic that Indy is among a handful of teams expected to show interest in Russell. Utah, Orlando and Minnesota were also listed, along with Brooklyn keeping him.

Orlando and Minnesota would have to clear salary to make competitive offers, even after renouncing all their guys. Utah maxes out around $20m in cap space without waiving their non guaranteed deal in Favors, which would then allow a full max.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#24 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 4, 2019 5:42 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Shams Charania reported today on the Athletic that Indy is among a handful of teams expected to show interest in Russell. Utah, Orlando and Minnesota were also listed, along with Brooklyn keeping him.

same article says OKC is offering the 21 if they can dump salary. they have several players I'd happily take if doing so wouldn't limit our ability to pay Bogie 18.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 4, 2019 5:47 pm

Wizop wrote:

same article says OKC is offering the 21 if they can dump salary. they have several players I'd happily take if doing so wouldn't limit our ability to pay Bogie 18.

Pretty sure it means just eating Schroeder. None of their other bad contracts are bad enough, or big enough, to give up 21 by itself. Schroeder has 2 years remaining at $15.5m each, for a backup at best PG who feels he’s a starting number 1 option and still has felony assault charges hanging against him from Atlanta.

You still interested in 21, now?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#26 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 4, 2019 6:51 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Pretty sure it means just eating Schroeder. None of their other bad contracts are bad enough, or big enough, to give up 21 by itself. Schroeder has 2 years remaining at $15.5m each, for a backup at best PG who feels he’s a starting number 1 option and still has felony assault charges hanging against him from Atlanta.

You still interested in 21, now?

of course, I'd prefer Roberson and Grant but 2 years of Schroeder wouldn't be the end of the world if one were sure that if convicted he'd be suspended. I'd rather pay someone 2 years at 15 than 1 year at 30. that's no more than DC plus CoJo.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#27 » by Boneman2 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 8:01 pm

Schroeder's contract looks really bad right now considering Russell will cost nearly $80m over that span. But maybe without Russ consuming all the minutes, he would come a lot closer to living up to his contract. I'd consider Dennis/21 for McDermott (pending litigation).
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 4, 2019 10:36 pm

Boneman2 wrote:Schroeder's contract looks really bad right now considering Russell will cost nearly $80m over that span. But maybe without Russ consuming all the minutes, he would come a lot closer to living up to his contract. I'd consider Dennis/21 for McDermott (pending litigation).

He wasn’t living up to it in Atlanta when he got all the minutes and shots he wanted. Also, Dennis was dealt because he made it clear he wouldn’t share time with a rookie PG. Can’t imagine he’d play nice with Aaron Holiday being here.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#29 » by Pacers_Freak » Wed Jun 5, 2019 1:46 am

I like the draft and building through it as much as anyone. This draft isn’t the greatest and to me Schroeder is a negative contract. Bad locker room dude, doesn’t play up to his contract, and has legal trouble. No way what we recoup at 21 equals what taking on his deal means. No thanks. Hard pass.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#30 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jun 5, 2019 1:58 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Boneman2 wrote:Schroeder's contract looks really bad right now considering Russell will cost nearly $80m over that span. But maybe without Russ consuming all the minutes, he would come a lot closer to living up to his contract. I'd consider Dennis/21 for McDermott (pending litigation).

He wasn’t living up to it in Atlanta when he got all the minutes and shots he wanted. Also, Dennis was dealt because he made it clear he wouldn’t share time with a rookie PG. Can’t imagine he’d play nice with Aaron Holiday being here.

Why is Schroeder's legal case taking so long? We were talking about this last year this time.

I think he played pretty well this past season, but it would be a risk to take him even if we're getting that #21, I might need more, well more than might need, would need more. I think we might be better off to bring back DC at a reduced rate say $8 million 2 years with the 2nd a player option. That would give Holiday another year to learn how to be an NBA point guard.

If we were to sign Russell it means that Holiday is gonna be a backup for the next 4 years at least. He could see some action as the pg with Russell playing some SG.

I think it all hinges on what Brooklyn does, if they sign Kyrie they won't be able to match an offer to Russell.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 5, 2019 12:37 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Why is Schroeder's legal case taking so long? We were talking about this last year this time.

I think he played pretty well this past season, but it would be a risk to take him even if we're getting that #21, I might need more, well more than might need, would need more. I think we might be better off to bring back DC at a reduced rate say $8 million 2 years with the 2nd a player option. That would give Holiday another year to learn how to be an NBA point guard.

If we were to sign Russell it means that Holiday is gonna be a backup for the next 4 years at least. He could see some action as the pg with Russell playing some SG.

I think it all hinges on what Brooklyn does, if they sign Kyrie they won't be able to match an offer to Russell.

Schroeders team had asked for a delay until after this nba season since he moved out of Atlanta via trade.
ahartleyvu
Bench Warmer
And1: 56

Post#32 » by ahartleyvu » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:05 pm

I’d love to have Russell. I think he fits well with Dipo. Gives us another reliable scorer that can shoot the 3. He also isn’t a defensive liability as far as I know.

But, I doubt we will be the only team to offer him right?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:42 pm

ahartleyvu wrote:I’d love to have Russell. I think he fits well with Dipo. Gives us another reliable scorer that can shoot the 3. He also isn’t a defensive liability as far as I know.

Phoenix, Utah, Orlando, and Minnesota have been listed as possible suitors too.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#34 » by boomershadow » Sat Jun 8, 2019 11:18 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
ahartleyvu wrote:I’d love to have Russell. I think he fits well with Dipo. Gives us another reliable scorer that can shoot the 3. He also isn’t a defensive liability as far as I know.

You gotta think that the Pacers seem like a better FA destination than the Suns, Magic, and Wolves though, right.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#35 » by 8305 » Sun Jun 9, 2019 12:26 pm

boomershadow wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

You gotta think that the Pacers seem like a better FA destination than the Suns, Magic, and Wolves though, right.

One thing I'll say for Russell, at least we are in the conversation. That's better than where we are with all of the other high end free agents for 2019. We've got the money and opportunity to offer. But, I don't think the list of suitors ends with us and the teams listed above. If the Nets renounce Russell, that would mean the Knicks probably haven't scored and they have lost of cap space too. He wouldn't even have to change his home address.

What are the odds the Nets score to the point they have to renounce?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#36 » by Wizop » Sun Jun 9, 2019 3:41 pm

I have to believe we talk to every GM and every agent. Not every conversation gets leaked and reported and some reports are pure speculation.

Sent from my phone.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#37 » by Topofthekey » Sun Jun 9, 2019 4:09 pm

Russell wasn't near the top of my list of FAs to go after, but I'll still consider it great news if the team manage to sign him

Is there going to be enough money to also sign Mirotic?

After signing Mirotic as well, we'll just need to get a solid role player at SF (Danny Green? Thabo Sefalosha?), and a swingman off the bench (Terrence Ross? Lance?), and we'll be set for the next two or three years

Myles/Domas
Mirotic/Leaf
Thabo/Doug
Vic/Ross
Russell/Holiday

Has a shot at going to the ECF
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jun 9, 2019 7:55 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Russell wasn't near the top of my list of FAs to go after, but I'll still consider it great news if the team manage to sign him

After signing Mirotic as well, we'll just need to get a solid role player at SF (Danny Green? Thabo Sefalosha?), and a swingman off the bench (Terrence Ross? Lance?), and we'll be set for the next two or three years

Myles/Domas
Mirotic/Leaf
Thabo/Doug
Vic/Ross
Russell/Holiday

I don’t know that that team is any closer than we are now. Russell is a good add, but man, I really think Bojan and his high efficiency is getting looked down upon here.

But realistically, if you sign Russell to his max, and renounce everyone, you would then have around $17.5m left for all your other moves, and then the $4.7m room exception. So, after you get one of Mirotic, Green, or Ross to sign for their demand (likely around $12-18m) for any one of them, you’re at less than $6m (maybe nothing), and none will sign for less than $12m. So, you’d be looking much further down the totem pole. Maybe a Justin Holiday instead? Not a Seth curry though, he might get a full MLE this summer.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:47 am

More smoke. Will we see fire soon?

Read on Twitter
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#40 » by Pacers_Freak » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:46 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Russell wasn't near the top of my list of FAs to go after, but I'll still consider it great news if the team manage to sign him

Myles/Domas
Mirotic/Leaf
Thabo/Doug
Vic/Ross
Russell/Holiday

I don’t know that that team is any closer than we are now. Russell is a good add, but man, I really think Bojan and his high efficiency is getting looked down upon here.

But realistically, if you sign Russell to his max, and renounce everyone, you would then have around $17.5m left for all your other moves, and then the $4.7m room exception. So, after you get one of Mirotic, Green, or Ross to sign for their demand (likely around $12-18m) for any one of them, you’re at less than $6m (maybe nothing), and none will sign for less than $12m. So, you’d be looking much further down the totem pole. Maybe a Justin Holiday instead? Not a Seth curry though, he might get a full MLE this summer.

Scoot agree with you on everyone wanting to move on from Bogey. I really don’t get it. I think it’s a little bit like how everyone wants the backup QB and then they realize there was a reason he was the backup.

Return to Indiana Pacers