End of the superteam era?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,277

End of the superteam era? 

Post#1 » by Black Jack » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:44 am

Since the KG / Ray Allen / Pierce / Rondo Celtics the superteam led by three allstars, one of which (at least) is an MVP level player has been the fashionable model. The LeBron / Wade / Bosh Heatles, then the Curry / Durant / Klay / Dray Warriors won rings with two MVP level players, and at least one other all star (and stealth assassin Igoudala).

Now the Kawhi Raptors have shown that one superstar and one all star, plus a deep veteran supporting cast can win. I see a lot of people saying it's better to have more good role players than an all star starting cast.

The problem with superteams seems to be weak supporting casts create the need for too many minutes by the primary players, leading to injuries and fatigue. Also, cap management becomes nearly impossible with three guys wanting max deals, and only super wealthy teams led by multi-billionaires like Lacob can consider paying the repeater tax.

The Warriors were/are a fluke based on weak ankled Curry who was not considered an elite force, signing a cheap deal, Draymond coming out of nowhere, the cap anomoly the year Durant signed. Now I see people saying one of the four has to go, perhaps a Draymond trade, otherwise Warriors will have insane tax to pay. It seem to be the consensus a superteam is too hard to put together. Only dumb money like the Knicks are still hoping to do it via free agency.

So...is this the end of the superteam era? Or are the Kawhi Raps a one hit wonder like the Dirk Mavs?
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,300

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#2 » by Dr Aki » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:46 am

No
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,277

Post#3 » by Black Jack » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:50 am

Dr Aki wrote:No

Steve Nash and Dwight Howard aren't walking through that door 8-)
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
CM17
Sophomore
And1: 151

Post#4 » by CM17 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:05 am

It's hard to believe with all those star players demanding to be traded to LA or NY, that there won't be more superteams.

And I'm sure a lot of owners would risk overusing their star players if it gives them a championship. Not many superteams stay together for more than a couple of seasons.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,529

Post#5 » by Rainwater » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:07 am

Lol wait until the off season begins, one can be created.
BayArea408415
Analyst
And1: 2,557

Post#6 » by BayArea408415 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:07 am

Eh, I’m not so sure. Depends on if Warriors retain both Klay and Durant. I could see another 1-2 Finals runs after the 2020 season. Or even next year if by some miracle the Warriors make playoffs and at least 80% Klay/Durant return just in time.

I’m curious to see what happens this summer though. Could be some new super/semi-super teams brewing.
NeutralObserver
Senior
And1: 1,134

Post#7 » by NeutralObserver » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:24 am

This dude and the media have been congruently lobbying for a superteam since he got to L.A and there's NO END in sight.

moistnessfiscal
Junior
And1: 170

Post#8 » by moistnessfiscal » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:37 am

Not necessarily the end but not one clear defining favourite every year, next year you could make legitimate reasons towards the Bucks or Raptors being the odds-on favourite for the title, and I think this is to come for the foreseeable years.
illmatic24
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,027

Post#9 » by illmatic24 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:44 am

You think these guys are going to stop buddying up anytime soon? Superteams won't stop until the league forces it to stop with new rules.

I hate to be that guy but I have my doubts that Toronto wins the series if the Warriors are healthy. But it does show the obvious flaws in the whole superteam idea. If you lose even one of those stars, you're in big trouble versus an actual well coached team that has talent and their own star or two. Kudos to Toronto though. We can't act like the Warriors had nothing out there. If you're trotting Curry and Draymond out there, you're still running multiple all stars. No excuses.
hawkfire
Freshman
And1: 97

Post#10 » by hawkfire » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:53 am

illmatic24 wrote:You think these guys are going to stop buddying up anytime soon? Superteams won't stop until the league forces it to stop with new rules.

I hate to be that guy but I have my doubts that Toronto wins the series if the Warriors are healthy. But it does show the obvious flaws in the whole superteam idea. If you lose even one of those stars, you're in big trouble versus an actual well coached team that has talent and their own star or two. Kudos to Toronto though. We can't act like the Warriors had nothing out there. If you're trotting Curry and Draymond out there, you're still running multiple all stars. No excuses.

A healthy Warriors team is beatable this year. Remember both the Clippers (a team with bunch of role players) and Houston took 2 games from a healthy Warriors team. So what would Raptors with Kawhi Leonard would do to them? Remember, Raptors went through a star-stacked Sixers and the #1 Bucks to get to the finals. And the Raptors swept the warriors in regular season too. So base on that, I would favor the Raptors to beat a healthy Warriors in 6 or 7. Again if Clippers can get 2 game wins from a healthy warriors, Raptors would easily get 3 or 4 games, no doubt in my mind. Raps in 7 would be my prediction.
syrus3
Pro Prospect
And1: 910

Post#11 » by syrus3 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:14 pm

It took 6 games for the Canadian team to beat an injured Warriors team. How would that team “easily” take 3 or 4 games against a healthy Warriors team??
BayArea408415
Analyst
And1: 2,557

Post#12 » by BayArea408415 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:50 pm

syrus3 wrote:It took 6 games for the Canadian team to beat an injured Warriors team. How would that team “easily” take 3 or 4 games against a healthy Warriors team??

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but:

The NBA Finals was 1 point in Game 6 from going 7 with Durant playing 12 minutes and Klay missing Game 3 + 2 4th quarters (one of which was Game 6 itself where he had 30 points through 3 quarters).

This was the Warriors starting lineup to begin the 4th quarter of Game 6:

https://i.imgur.com/8cyfQcj.jpg

I imagine it would have been Klay in for either Cousins or Green had he not been injured. Regardless, that lineup wouldn't make the playoffs and it was employed in Game 6 of the NBA Finals so not sure if I buy what he's selling.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,178

Post#13 » by Statlanta » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:13 pm

Superteam era won't stop until 1 great player rises above the superteams.

We are seeing the cracks of the superteam era with teams getting impossible tax bills(GS, OKC) or needing to keep too many players(Milwaukee, Philly).

It won't be till the late 2020s till this ends.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,843

Post#14 » by inquisitive » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:15 pm

This summer we will know if it ends or not. I think AD will be a Laker if they sweeten their offer just a bit to Pelicans. I guess I am the only one who thinks KD is leaving the Warriors. I think another star will join him elsewhere
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
VCBC
Senior
And1: 1,114

Post#15 » by VCBC » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:41 pm

So Raps' win without a superteam and suddenly it's a "model" or the end of the superteam?

Yes, you just won a chip but let's be serious. Superteam won't end until CBA fixes it and Raps played great against an injury depleted superteam.
israelfirst
Senior
And1: 1,034

Post#16 » by israelfirst » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:48 pm

raps winning the title in 2019 is like the spurs winning in 2014 and the mavs in 2011. It is a flash in the pan and everything will go back to normal next season. Sixers have a super team in the east and will probably win next year.
OriginalRed
Sixth Man
And1: 2,789

Post#17 » by OriginalRed » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:55 pm

Lol, you people are insane if you think the Raptors wouldn't have been able to compete with Golden State even if they were fully healthy. Would they win? Probably not, but you got people on here who actually think the Raps would have gotten swept, when in actuality, the Warriors are the ones who should have gotten swept by the Raptors without KD if the Raptors hadn't made such mental errors in Game 5 and scored a few points during that 18-0 in Game 2. They dominated Golden State in almost every single way, winning 17 of the 24 quarters and hilariously enough, one of the quarters Golden State won was when KD played and went 3-3 from three and shot 60 % from the field.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#18 » by LKN » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:03 pm

I think a 2 superstar team is a better model than a 3 superstar team. There are diminishing returns at some point... and I think I'd rather take say Lebron and AD + good role players over say Lebron, AD and Kyrie plus filler.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#19 » by LKN » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Statlanta wrote:Superteam era won't stop until 1 great player rises above the superteams.

We are seeing the cracks of the superteam era with teams getting impossible tax bills(GS, OKC) or needing to keep too many players(Milwaukee, Philly).

It won't be till the late 2020s till this ends.

Huh? The Bucks are nowhere close to a superteam. LOL

They'll be fine if they lose Middleton
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,178

Post#20 » by Statlanta » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:17 pm

OriginalRed wrote: the Warriors are the ones who should have gotten swept by the Raptors without KD if the Raptors hadn't made such mental errors in Game 5 and scored a few points during that 18-0 in Game 2.

The Raptors lost to the worst division winner in recent history on their homecourt. They are not sweeping nobody.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns

Return to The General Board