ImageImageImage

Would swapping Tobias w D Russ make sense?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

If Tobias & D Russ swapped teams...

Both teams get better
47%
Only Sixers get better
14%
Only Nets get better
31%
Both teams get worse
8%

Total votes: 49

Daytonflores
Freshman
And1: 25

Would swapping Tobias w D Russ make sense? 

Post#1 » by Daytonflores » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:28 am

If the Nets got Kyrie, Russell would reportedly want out... since Tobias is linked to the Nets & Russell is a RFA, a sign & trade might be possible?

D Russ does also have personal ties to Simmons & is a great off-ball sniper w playmaking ability. If this swap happened, would you approve?
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Would swapping Tobias w D Russ make sense? 

Post#2 » by LloydFree » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:36 am

I'd like it. Would solve some of the end of game issues on offense also.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#3 » by kio80 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:11 am

Don’t think so, we need shootings or 3 and D guys, unless we trade Ben Simmons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,783

Post#4 » by Negrodamus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:08 am

I’d prefer Dinwiddie + Joe Harris, but would be open to Russell.
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#5 » by kio80 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:09 am

Negrodamus wrote:I’d prefer Dinwiddie + Joe Harris, but would be open to Russell.

I concur with Dinwiddie and Joe Harris, Russell requires too much usage, won’t fit.

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,783

Post#6 » by Negrodamus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:16 am

kio80 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I’d prefer Dinwiddie + Joe Harris, but would be open to Russell.

I concur with Dinwiddie and Joe Harris, Russell requires too much usage, won’t fit.

DLo also has multiple years of being sub .2 FTr which is amazing as one of the primary offensive options. In comparison, Ray Allen never had a year below .2 in his career.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,193

Post#7 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:54 pm

Would love this. I like the idea of making us 4 years younger, so when Butler retires we still have a trio of Ben + DLO + Embiid in their primes.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#8 » by PhillyFan11 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:03 pm

I think we’d have to get another player somehow to make this really work imo. I wouldn’t feel great with a defensive lineup of

Russell
JJ
Jimmy
Ben
Jo

I feel like that would leave Ben to cover the opposing 4 pretty much exclusively. I think it would expose JJ even more and Russell is maybe an above average defender but far from a stopper. I think we’d have to get another 6’7/6’8 three and D guy that pushes JJ to the bench to make it work deep into the playoffs.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#9 » by LloydFree » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:04 pm

This would put us where we should have been in 2016, if the Lakers hadn't skunked us in the 2015 draft. We've been making mistakes and playing catch-up with our picks ever since.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#10 » by kriss73 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:04 pm

If the Nets will sign Irving, I think the Pacers' offer sheet to DAR will dictate his price.
Is such a s&t possible under the current CBA?

It would be an intriguing move BTW
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,504

Post#11 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:34 pm

Definitely interested in this, but is a S&T even possible?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#12 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:55 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Definitely interested in this, but is a S&T even possible?

I think so, both guys would be getting greater than 20% raises from last year so they would both be base year compensation guys for S&T purposes. If it were just one of them, it would make it close to impossible to match salaries (BYC guys count as 50% of their new salaries going out but 100% coming in for purposes of a trade like this), but because it's both it's less of an issue.

Assuming they can make the salaries match (assuming Russell is getting the 25% max and Harris 30%, Sixers may need to take a minimum salary filler) doing this would also allow the Sixers to operate as an over-the-cap team, so they could go over the cap to sign their other guys and use their OTC exceptions. If they just signed Russell as a free agent, they couldn't do any of that, so signing him would have likely meant losing Redick etc.

The one important restriction is that this would mean the Sixers would be hard capped at the apron.

IDK how the Nets would feel about it (why not just sign Harris with cap space and let their divisional rivals figure out how to fit Russell in?), and Harris and Russell would both have to be on board, but financially it seems to make sense for the Sixers from what I can tell, maybe I've missed something.

From a basketball standpoint, I think Harris is a better player next year and could easily be over the life of the contract, but with Russell's age and lower cost (and the fact that he's friends with Simmons and at least knows Embiid from high school) it seems intriguing.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#13 » by Foshan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Would the benefit for the nets be signing Kyrie + another max guy, and then doing the S&T?
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#14 » by sixerswillrule » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:14 pm

It's not a bad idea. It would eliminate the need for a backup PG since Ben and Russell could stagger their minutes. But there's definitely a lot of overlap in the starting lineup.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#15 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:26 pm

Actually the more I look at it, I think trading two BYC guys for each other still runs into the same issue of matching salaries. I don't think doing a trade as an over the cap team is possible unfortunately.

For the Nets side of the trade it would be:
Russell (counting as like 27)
for
Harris (counting as 16)

And for the Sixers side it would be
Harris (counting as like 32)
for
Russell (counting as like 13.5)

Doesn't work

Sorry if I got anything excited.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#16 » by smittybanton » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:40 pm

I would support it if Tobias was dead set on leaving. The Sixers desperately need a guard who can run the pick and roll in half court sets. D'Angelo worked it to the playoffs for the Nets with less effective pick men then Joel and Ben would be.

But if we keep the gang together, finding that guard and a backup center can be done with the MLE and BAE. Since there will be quite a few guards on the market, I think the optimal outcome is still to bring Tobias Harris back and a) scoop one of rondo, rubio, rose, satoransky, collison for relatively cheap, and b) spend the bulk of the MLE if not all of it on the more scarce backup five who can defend and shoot--lopez, dedmon, thomas bryant jr, randle?, favors?
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#17 » by PhilasFinest » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Id be good with it, but do wonder how it would all work if Butler returns. Simmons & Butler are both guys you want with the ball in their hands.

If Butler also bounces, Suddenly Russell would be a perfect fit as he could eat into that role and also compliment Ben/Embiid with his shooting from the outside.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#18 » by kingofthecourt67 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:42 pm

Didn’t get a chance to watch much DLo during the season, but in our series, I saw a guy who was shooting a ton of contested jumpers. Albeit it was against Simmons, but I was not impressed. Also, as mentioned above, Dlo seems to require the ball in his hands more. I’d much rather bank on Tobias.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,800

Post#19 » by Mik317 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:44 pm

I would but I think it would be something that happens moreso if Jimmy leaves
#NeverGonnaBeGood
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,463

Post#20 » by youngcrev » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:02 pm

LloydFree wrote:I'd like it. Would solve some of the end of game issues on offense also.

Yeah? I'd much rather put the ball in Jimmy's hands, and Tobias is a better shooter (and defender). I think Tobias is the better player in general. If Jimmy walks, Russell would be worth looking at.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers