ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason (incl. Trade) Thread, 2019

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Re: Celtics General Offseason (incl. Trade) Thread, 2019 

Post#1861 » by MagicBagley18 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:52 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Dlo is like Kyrie except hes significantly worse at basketball

Haha that’s right.....it’s funny to see certain people here push for DLO also. Some that are so against kyrie and how he plays yet wanna bring in DLO
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#1862 » by Edug27 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:53 pm

CSL_1904 wrote:Tank! Please. The sooner we accept that's the only way to go, the better.

Don’t think we need to tank. We already have two top 3 picks on the roster. Personally, I think we bring Rozier and Horford back. Place an emphasis on developing Tatum, Jaylen and Williams. And allow Gordon to keep getting better... and just see where that takes us. We still have the Grizz pick. And if dudes like Jaylen and Rozier improve, we have better trade assets as well if any opportunity shall arise.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1863 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:57 pm

Edug27 wrote:
CSL_1904 wrote:Tank! Please. The sooner we accept that's the only way to go, the better.

Don’t think we need to tank. We already have two top 3 picks on the roster. Personally, I think we bring Rozier and Horford back. Place an emphasis on developing Tatum, Jaylen and Williams. And allow Gordon to keep getting better... and just see where that takes us. We still have the Grizz pick. And if dudes like Jaylen and Rozier improve, we have better trade assets as well.

This is where I’m at too— I think most people think we finish with a better record next year [I mean, Vegas has us at 48.5 with the heavy expectation we lose Kyrie as BKN is at 50.5]. That means its pretty likely the trade values for Jaylen and Jayson go up pretty significantly.

The best move it to just hold serve for a year or two and build up for the next big piece that'll hit the market that hopefully will be more open to coming here. Losing Kyrie sets us back a year or two, but its not a reason to take a dumb risk that will incredibly likely [95%+] set us back another 5.
Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,423

Post#1864 » by Scarletfire81 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:01 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/06/boston-celtics-owner-id-rather-go-for-it-than-be-mediocre-for-the-next-10-or-15-years.html%3foutputType=amp

Do you know what's ironic about this statement, the Celtics haven't been championship contenders since 2010, if AD doesn't work out they may not be for another couple years at least. That's 10-15 years of being mediocre.
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#1865 » by winsomme2 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:02 pm

Edug27 wrote:

Don’t think we need to tank. We already have two top 3 picks on the roster. Personally, I think we bring Rozier and Horford back. Place an emphasis on developing Tatum, Jaylen and Williams. And allow Gordon to keep getting better... and just see where that takes us. We still have the Grizz pick. And if dudes like Jaylen and Rozier improve, we have better trade assets as well if any opportunity shall arise.

One problem I think was under reported last year is that Hayward, Tatum, and Brown all need to start and they are not a good mixture all playing at the same time.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1866 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:07 pm

winsomme2 wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

One problem I think was under reported last year is that Hayward, Tatum, and Brown all need to start and they are not a good mixture all playing at the same time.

Swapping Smart, who doesnt need to shoot much, for Kyrie, who needs 18+ shots a game, should really help alleviate this situation.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,398

Post#1867 » by Jaqua92 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:10 pm

winsomme2 wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

That's why somebody is getting traded

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant

Post#1868 » by Scarletfire81 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:14 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
winsomme2 wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

I wonder if the Rockets would do a Brown + fillers for Capela. Celtics then resign Rozier. Rozier Smart Tatum Hayward Horford Capela is a playoff team. Just not a serious contender.

This is assuming we don't get AD.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,398

Post#1869 » by Jaqua92 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Scarletfire81 wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:
winsomme2 wrote:

I wonder if the Rockets would do a Brown + fillers for Capela. Celtics then resign Rozier. Rozier Smart Tatum Hayward Horford Capela is a playoff team. Just not a serious contender.
People will see then that Rozier is just as much an issue as Kyrie was. Rozier will always keep this team from meeting it's potential. He's a delusional kid who thinks he's an elite point guard. He will play for himself and ruin the team on the floor. He needs to go at all costs.that team you mentioned above is a first round exit IF they even make the playoffs. Rozier and one of Brown/Tatum need to be gone

Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant

Post#1870 » by Scarletfire81 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:21 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
Scarletfire81 wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:That's why somebody is getting traded

People will see then that Rozier is just as much an issue as Kyrie was. Rozier will always keep this team from meeting it's potential. He's a delusional kid who thinks he's an elite point guard. He will play for himself and ruin the team on the floor. He needs to go at all costs.that team you mentioned above is a first round exit IF they even make the playoffs. Rozier and one of Brown/Tatum need to be gone

Ainge might not have a choice but to resign him though, if he can't work out a trade for a PG. Conley is too old, DLO isn't coming here, I guess maybe Rondo? But even that seems unlikely.
Edug27
RealGM

Post#1871 » by Edug27 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:27 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

Don’t think we need to tank. We already have two top 3 picks on the roster. Personally, I think we bring Rozier and Horford back. Place an emphasis on developing Tatum, Jaylen and Williams. And allow Gordon to keep getting better... and just see where that takes us. We still have the Grizz pick. And if dudes like Jaylen and Rozier improve, we have better trade assets as well.

This is where I’m at too— I think most people think we finish with a better record next year [I mean, Vegas has us at 48.5 with the heavy expectation we lose Kyrie as BKN is at 50.5]. That means its pretty likely the trade values for Jaylen and Jayson go up pretty significantly.

The best move it to just hold serve for a year or two and build up for the next big piece that'll hit the market that hopefully will be more open to coming here. Losing Kyrie sets us back a year or two, but its not a reason to take a dumb risk that will incredibly likely [95%+] set us back another 5.

Agree. The Kyrie move was a hit and miss for Ainge. It just didn’t work out. There’s plenty of blame to go around from all sides. Kyries entering his prime and has all the right in the world to play wherever he feels the most comfortable. But at the end, it was a risk worth taking.

But moving Tatum for AD is a different story. KG was tentative with Boston because he was looking for a contender. With AD, it’s personal. He does not want to be a Celtic. Doesn’t need want to be in this city. It’s loud and clear. And the last thing Brad needs is another season with more unhappy players in that locker room.. we already saw how that played out last year.

Develop Tatum. Develop Jaylen. Develop Williams. Let Rozier grow. Let Gordon regain form. If Horford wants out, that’s fine. Allow him to get one last shot at a title. Hold onto Smart. He’ll be a handy trade piece once he’s in the last year of that contract.
Edug27
RealGM

Post#1872 » by Edug27 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:28 pm

winsomme2 wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

I’d like to see them all together without Kyrie for one more season before determining that.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#1873 » by GregB » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:39 pm

Scarletfire81 wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/06/boston-celtics-owner-id-rather-go-for-it-than-be-mediocre-for-the-next-10-or-15-years.html%3foutputType=amp

Do you know what's ironic about this statement, the Celtics haven't been championship contenders since 2010, if AD doesn't work out they may not be for another couple years at least. That's 10-15 years of being mediocre.

These comments are a year too late. If they wanted to go all in they should have traded for Kawhi.

Now we give up all our assets for AD and then hope the mental midget resigns with us.

If not we have a top east team for one year before AD leaves us.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#1874 » by djFan71 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:15 pm

My fear now for the fragile S&T Kyrie hopes is that a good path for both teams might be for KD to opt-in and trade to the Nets.

Nets:
1) Keep DLo cap hold which is lower than his max
2) Sign Kyrie to cap space.
3) Trade of opt-in KD for Dinwiddie, Harris and whatever else they agree on as filler and fits under the cap. Only need to match $30ish instead of the $38M if he opted out. After Kyrie cap is around $14M so Din, Harris get them right there. By an opt-in and trade, Nets aren't hard-capped either.

That restocks the Ws around Steph, Green, Iggy, Din, Harris while Klay recovers.
Nets get to run Kyrie, DLo, Prince, Allen, LeVert, Kurucs out while waiting on KD. Just make the playoffs and hope KD is ready to go in May.

Not seeing much room for Boston to get anything for Kyrie there.

Only hope is that some team(s) throw KD a full 4/5 year max offer which he'd be insane to turn down. That negates all of the above. If it's the Nets, than a S&T for Kyrie is back on the table.
nickgammon
Pro Prospect
And1: 873

Post#1875 » by nickgammon » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:43 pm

If the Celtics want D-Lo, Horford has to take a pay cut of about $14-15 mil from what it looks like. We could also trade Yabu to make room for the rooks.

In regards to D-Lo vs Kyrie, of course Kyrie’s a better basketball player. In terms of fit though, D-Lo would probably be better. The idea going forward is to build around Tatum as the #1 option. Kyrie obviously isn’t going to subscribe to that as he feels he’s the #1 option, but D-Lo would likely relish the opportunity to play alongside Tatum and Brown.

Brad Stevens has had great success with point guards far less talented than D-Lo. The Celtics also have the complementary defenders to help D-Lo on that end. If he’s on the team, you can always look forward to the early 2020s when Al and Gordon are off the books and KAT could be the next superstar to hit the block. Might want to play with his buddy DAR and hopefully by then an All-NBA player in Tatum.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,281

Post#1876 » by chrisab123 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:32 pm

Yeah... Tanking definitely worked for the Hawks this year. I can't wait for the vocabulary of this board to be reintroduced to "tank commander" "hard tank or tank hard" and "soft tank".

Tanking rarely works.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#1877 » by ParticleMan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:42 pm

chrisab123 wrote:

Yeah... Tanking definitely worked for the Hawks this year. I can't wait for the vocabulary of this board to be reintroduced to "tank commander" "hard tank or tank hard" and "soft tank".

Tanking rarely works.

yeah tanking hasn't worked since tim duncan. the people who think this is a viable strategy are the same ones who think the Earth is flat.

oh wait...

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#1878 » by cloverleaf » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:34 pm

ParticleMan wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:

Tanking rarely works.

yeah tanking hasn't worked since tim duncan. the people who think this is a viable strategy are the same ones who think the Earth is flat.

oh wait...

Oh, but wait a minute, look what did work for Masai: trading away his "star" in Gay, for little return, in order to let his budding stars mature into their potential:

https://fansided.com/2019/06/13/raptors-title-contenders-2013-trades/
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,241

Post#1879 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:38 pm

Read on Twitter

The potential and talent was always there. So sad and frustrating they never got their **** together.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#1880 » by Roddy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:43 pm

I need rumors, tweets from random guys, WojBomb/ReloadBomb !!!!!!!!!!!

Return to Boston Celtics