ImageImageImage

Kyrie Irving Goodbye Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,900

Re: Kyrie Irving Thread, Part 2 -- Is he Green, or is he Gone? 

Post#301 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:29 am

To add to my previous post, to me and I'm not even sure I want Irving back with or without AD, the Nets will make a major mistake if Durant doesn't sign there. Regardless of who the other guy they sign might be- Harris or bring back Russell.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#302 » by BillessuR6 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:29 am

If Kyrie goes to BKN and they do not want to resign Russel what are the chances of double sign and trade?

In this way both can get more money and longer contracts...

I am not a big fan of Russel but at least we do not lose Kyrie for nothing...

Sent from my SM-G930F using RealGM mobile app
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,389

Post#303 » by Triple7 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:44 am

thebirdman wrote:If Kyrie goes to BKN and they do not want to resign Russel what are the chances of double sign and trade?

In this way both can get more money and longer contracts...

I am not a big fan of Russel but at least we do not lose Kyrie for nothing...

Sent from my SM-G930F using RealGM mobile app

I’m not sure we want to pay D-slow top money. He’s a RFA, and i think some team will offer him more than what he’s actually worth.
Triple7
RealGM

Post#304 » by Triple7 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:03 am

Read on Twitter
/photo/1

:lol: :lol: :lol:
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,152

Post#305 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:05 am

LOL little does DLo know that he's getting renounced if another max guy wants to sign in Brooklyn. Poor guy.

But I'd love it if that's the Nets big summer. Worst defensive backcourt in the NBA.
Triple7
RealGM

Post#306 » by Triple7 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:26 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:LOL little does DLo know that he's getting renounced if another max guy wants to sign in Brooklyn. Poor guy.

But I'd love it if that's the Nets big summer. Worst defensive backcourt in the NBA.

Feel bad for D-Lo :lol: That pic says a lot!
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#307 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:33 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:LOL little does DLo know that he's getting renounced if another max guy wants to sign in Brooklyn. Poor guy.

Read on Twitter

Sounds like hes getting renounced as soon as Kyrie legally commits.

I believe we can create 0-6 [25% of the 109M cap, 27.25M] if Horford opts out and we renounce Morris and Rozier. Not sure this is the path I’d recommend, but its definitely a possibility.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#308 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:36 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

I believe we can create 0-6 [25% of the 109M cap, 27.25M] if Horford opts out and we renounce Morris and Rozier. Not sure this is the path I’d recommend, but its definitely a possibility.

Horford still has a cap hold if he merely opts out. If we renounce Horford, we lose him. 'Cos no way he signs for the MLE.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#309 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:38 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Horford still has a cap hold if he merely opts out. If we renounce him, we lose him. 'Cos no way he signs for the MLE.

Agreed— its why I dont particularly love that situation and wouldnt recommend it; however, if he wants to play for a contender as opposed to a retooling Boston, It becomes more of an option.
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,206

Post#310 » by Tyakack » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:00 pm

I don't hate kyrie. Especially not for most of the nonsensical reasons stated on this board. However, I can't help but root for him to fail if he leaves such a great situation in boston. I could understand if we couldn't help him win or pay him the most money but neither are the case. He's leaving more money on the table and leaving a potential super team for the nets. Hard to not feel a little pissed over that. I hope he fails miserably in new york.
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#311 » by CeltsfaninDC » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:29 pm

Gooner wrote:
sully00 wrote:
Gooner wrote:
He had one bad year, that's it.

As far as being a champ and stud he had two bad years to go with the bad years before his Daddy came to CLE. Basically Kyrie is as much of champ as J.R. Smith. The facts are Boston was better without him than with him and probably will be again.

His team had two bad years when his best teammate was young Dion Waiters, and Kyrie himself was 19-20 years old. That doesn't prove anything. JR Smith is a champ too, he earned it, he played a big part in it. Kyrie obviously, played much bigger part.

Greg kite >>> Kyrie Irving
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#312 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:49 pm

Small sample size: During their time together in Cleveland, Cavs record when Irving played and Lebron didn't was 4 wins, 14 losses. They lost by an average of 13 points. Didn't win by more than 5 points.

He wanted to teach our young guys about winning though.
NYCelticsfan136
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Post#313 » by NYCelticsfan136 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:08 pm

Irving can hit the road jack! He couldn’t handle Boston when it counted. He goes to a New Jersey nets squad with pretty much no pressure at all. He can rot away in his home town.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,398

Post#314 » by Jaqua92 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:17 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Small sample size: During their time together in Cleveland, Cavs record when Irving played and Lebron didn't was 4 wins, 14 losses. They lost by an average of 13 points. Didn't win by more than 5 points.

That was a system built around alebron

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#315 » by KGboss » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:28 pm

It wasn't. He didnt went before lebron, when lebron didnt play, and hasnt effected winning much here in Boston

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,218

Post#316 » by djFan71 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:47 pm

Triple7 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:He made 13 ft’s, 6-14 3’s. His 3’s are mostly on catch and shoot and through screens. He’s one damn shooter. The best there is ever, but i haven’t seen him takeover a game one on one, especially in closing minutes, where you give him the ball and he does his thing. Not like a Kobe, Mj, KD or Harden. You give them the ball and you move out of the way. Curry can’t do that. That’s why he’s limited offensively. Heck even Kyrie is more unstoppable than Curry offensively, especially when his shot is falling.

So, we’re talking ISOs? Then fine, he’s not a goat iso guy. Agreed. But as far as an offensive weapon, I put him up there with the best of all time.

Yup i kind of remember guys like Mj, Kobe and KD, where if they are hot, it seems like they can’t miss at all, and opposing teams can’t do anything about it. They even double triple team, and still can’t do anything about stopping them. They can be unstoppable inside and outside. That’s my version of offensive Goat.
With prolific scorers as Pg’s. I have iverson at the top, then Dame, kyrie and curry in no particular order.

See, I think Steph meets that criteria as well. Again, game 3, he scored 47 in the NBA finals with no offensive help at all and forced the other team to box and one him.

Yup were probably thinking different. My offensive Goats are guys like MJ, Kobe and KD. Guys that can carry the offensive load all the time and not rely on a system to be effective, which i think curry benefits from. I can’t deny his offensive impact though, especially being a unselfish player and willing passer, as compared to a kyrie. I think kyrie is a better one on one player than steph is. MJ, Kobe, KD and even Harden are different animals. They are unstoppable offensively. They can all score at will. Curry needs a system to be effective. The way the warriors play is exactly suited for curry and klay

I was with you until the bold. Steph kinda creates the system himself coming off screens and stretching the D well beyond where anyone else does. His ability to relocate off the pass and get open and launch a 3 with the tiniest amount of space is an amazing skill that translates to any system. The Ws/Kerr perfected it, no doubt, but Steph could do his thing on any team in the league. Kyrie is definitely a better one on one scorer. Curry is better at everything else, including defense.

I think we're basically in agreement, I just give Steph a little more credit for his individual scoring prowess than you. Which is fine.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#317 » by soxfan2003 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:07 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Small sample size: During their time together in Cleveland, Cavs record when Irving played and Lebron didn't was 4 wins, 14 losses. They lost by an average of 13 points. Didn't win by more than 5 points.

That was a system built around alebron

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Cavs clearly tried to build around Kyrie his third year.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2014.html

5-6 without 3rd year Kyrie who was a 2nd time all-star that season
28-43 with him

Until this postseason, Kyrie had always been a player when the chips were one the line seemed to step up his defense. He didn't seem to do so in 2nd half of Bucks series.

Maybe he needs a veteran like Lebron to get after him a bit. I don't know for sure.
Triple7
RealGM

Post#318 » by Triple7 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:45 pm

djFan71 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:So, we’re talking ISOs? Then fine, he’s not a goat iso guy. Agreed. But as far as an offensive weapon, I put him up there with the best of all time.

Yup i kind of remember guys like Mj, Kobe and KD, where if they are hot, it seems like they can’t miss at all, and opposing teams can’t do anything about it. They even double triple team, and still can’t do anything about stopping them. They can be unstoppable inside and outside. That’s my version of offensive Goat.
With prolific scorers as Pg’s. I have iverson at the top, then Dame, kyrie and curry in no particular order.

See, I think Steph meets that criteria as well. Again, game 3, he scored 47 in the NBA finals with no offensive help at all and forced the other team to box and one him.

Yup were probably thinking different. My offensive Goats are guys like MJ, Kobe and KD. Guys that can carry the offensive load all the time and not rely on a system to be effective, which i think curry benefits from. I can’t deny his offensive impact though, especially being a unselfish player and willing passer, as compared to a kyrie. I think kyrie is a better one on one player than steph is. MJ, Kobe, KD and even Harden are different animals. They are unstoppable offensively. They can all score at will. Curry needs a system to be effective. The way the warriors play is exactly suited for curry and klay

I was with you until the bold. Steph kinda creates the system himself coming off screens and stretching the D well beyond where anyone else does. His ability to relocate off the pass and get open and launch a 3 with the tiniest amount of space is an amazing skill that translates to any system. The Ws/Kerr perfected it, no doubt, but Steph could do his thing on any team in the league. Kyrie is definitely a better one on one scorer. Curry is better at everything else, including defense.

I think we're basically in agreement, I just give Steph a little more credit for his individual scoring prowess than you. Which is fine.

You have fairly valid points. I think i have to slightly disagree with the defense thing. I think kyrie can be a better defender than curry if he tried. I think curry tries to defend, but he’s just not built for it. Teams always target him on offense. Plus GS does a good job of hiding his deficiency on defense with above average defenders in Klay, Draymond and Iggy.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,218

Post#319 » by djFan71 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:51 pm

Triple7 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

You have fairly valid points. I think i have to slightly disagree with the defense thing. I think kyrie can be a better defender than curry if he tried. I think curry tries to defend, but he’s just not built for it. Teams always target him on offense. Plus GS does a good job of hiding his deficiency on defense with above average defenders in Klay, Draymond and Iggy.

Fair enough. I think Steph is average on D at best. But Kyrie a) doesn't try much, b) even when he does it's not consistent within that game he's trying, c) his team D switching and who he decides to pick up in transition are dreadful. To me, Steph knows the team D concepts better and is more consistent playing to them. And he's stronger than he looks. But, yeah, the rest of GS helps (tho so did BOS) and neither will be mistaken for Rozier, much less Smart on that end.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#320 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:37 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Horford still has a cap hold if he merely opts out. If we renounce him, we lose him. 'Cos no way he signs for the MLE.

Agreed— its why I dont particularly love that situation and wouldnt recommend it; however, if he wants to play for a contender as opposed to a retooling Boston, It becomes more of an option.

We could make room for Russell, but Horford would have to take, like, 15 million a year for three years..

Return to Boston Celtics