Post#1 » by Bernman » Mon May 13, 2019 3:20 am

Chael-Machida
Rory-Gracie
Caldwell-Horiguchi 2
Dantas-Archuleta
Pico-Borics
Bandejas-Mix
Danis-Humphrey

This is a pretty stacked card for Bellator. Also will be the only event that weekend. So worth its own thread.

Man, Pico has went through the toughest gauntlet to begin a pro career outside of the Pride days. They're still somehow doing it after the last devastating loss. Borics is undefeated and a top prospect in his own right. Thought Bellator was building him as one of their big Euro draws. Pico better have learned his lesson and not just sling in the pocket with his hands down or he's going to get ko'ed again. If he gets reckless he could get subbed too. I think I pick Borics here.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: Bellator 222 (6/14): Chael/Machida, 2 title fights, and return of GOAT 

Post#2 » by REDDzone » Fri May 31, 2019 7:53 pm

RE: the toughest start to a pro career.

https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Yuji-Nagata-3422

LOLZ.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#3 » by Bernman » Fri May 31, 2019 9:00 pm

They obviously had a different way of operating in Japan during that time. Good way to torpedo careers. That was the end of the road for that fella. Bellator could also be burning out Pico early.

Dantas-Archuleta were also added to this card. I thought Carvalho-Njokuani was too, but looks like it officially landed at 224.

Either way, it's loaded for a Bellator. A couple of their big fights are actually on the prelims. They gotta be starting to air prelims on their premium streaming service like UFC, otherwise that's silly.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#4 » by cowboyronnie » Fri May 31, 2019 9:06 pm

Bernman wrote:Chael-Machida
Rory-Gracie
Caldwell-Horiguchi 2
Pico-Borics
Bandejas-Mix
Claxton-Ruiz
Danis-Humphrey

This is a pretty stacked card for Bellator. Also will be the only event that weekend. So worth its own thread.

Man, Pico has went through the toughest gauntlet to begin a pro career outside of the Pride days. They're still somehow doing it after the last devastating loss. Borics is undefeated and a top prospect in his own right. Thought Bellator was building him as one of their big Euro draws. Pico better have learned his lesson and not just sling in the pocket with his hands down or he's going to get ko'ed again. If he gets reckless he could get subbed too. I think I pick Borics here.

Even keeping your hands up in the pocket, given 4 oz gloves, is wrong-headed. Pressure, length, cover range with footwork.

Eddie Alvarez is case in point of someone with very good boxing who lost/loses 1 out of every 3/4 and has a lot of KDs/damage precisely because he has too pure a boxing style.

Don't let your opponent have their feet under them while you're in range.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#5 » by Bernman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:26 am

As a heads up, the event is tomorrow (Friday). I guess I assumed it was a Saturday because it's a big card and Bellator has the weekend all to themselves.

None of the fights fell thru. So that's good news. Bandejas-Mix was moved up to the main card. Pico-Borics remained on the prelims. So if you want to catch the future GOAT you're going to have to tune in to Bellator.com or MMAJunkie at 6:30 EST. The main card starts at 10 EST.

It's coming pretty quick after last week's action-packed UFC event, but still pretty pumped for this.
Bernman
RealGM

Re: Bellator 222 (Friday, 6/14): 2 titles, Chael-Machida 

Post#6 » by Bernman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:50 am

Wow, Pico got ko'ed again! Was cruising fighting "smart" by focusing on his wrestling, but got predictable, and was flying kneed to oblivion by Borics. They pushed him way to hard and he's probably burned out now. But Borics is one to watch. He makes good adjustments and has a nice toolbox. 13-0 now.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#7 » by Bernman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:47 am

Danis might not just be a hypejob. He's actually a good athlete to back up great jj technique, he's not just confident outside the cage, and has that fighter aggression. Beat a virtual can, but commensurate to the stage in his career. This is how they should have built up Pico.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,593

Post#8 » by TroyD92 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:19 am

TRT Lyoto is super scary.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
TroyD92
RealGM

Post#9 » by TroyD92 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:21 am

Hoping we can get a glimpse of a improved Rory. Was my favorite fighter when I first started watching.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Bernman
RealGM

Post#10 » by Bernman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:22 am

Chael retired. Thanks for the memories? Always conflicted about him. He roided repeatedly and wasn't the most entertaining fighter, but he kept coming forward, and he's the best talker the sport has ever seen and maybe will.

Machida looks far from retirement. Still a top 10 mw and lhw probably. Looks a very spry 40 and has that striking savvy, toolbox, power, and grappling chops. Would look forward to a remach with Mousasi or to see if he could fend off another grappler, this one in his prime, in Lovato.
TroyD92
RealGM

Post#11 » by TroyD92 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:26 am

Bernman wrote:Chael retired. Machida looks far from retirement. Still a top 10 mw and lhw probably. Looks a very spry 40 and has that striking savvy, toolbox, power, and grappling chops. Would look forward to a remach with Mousasi or to see if he could fend off another grappler, this one in his prime, in Lovato.

I like quite a few fights for Machida. Bader, Mousasi, Shlemenko, Rampage/Mitrione at HW?
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Bernman
RealGM

Post#12 » by Bernman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:32 am

TroyD92 wrote:
Bernman wrote:Chael retired. Machida looks far from retirement. Still a top 10 mw and lhw probably. Looks a very spry 40 and has that striking savvy, toolbox, power, and grappling chops. Would look forward to a remach with Mousasi or to see if he could fend off another grappler, this one in his prime, in Lovato.

I like quite a few fights for Machida. Bader, Mousasi, Shlemenko, Rampage/Mitrione at HW?

I don't want to see him at hw. That's a stretch. I know he used to be a sumo, but want to keep that athleticism.

I think they cut Shlemenko finally. And he was always a tiny mw.

Bader-Machida would be an interesting fight. Could see the upset for Machida. Mousasi, Lovato, Mr. Wonderful, and Nemkov also great options.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#13 » by Bernman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:16 am

Rory still looked like his head was still in the game. Gracie challenged him, but Rory kept answering. Impressive sub defense and guard retention. There was an overreaction to the performance against Fitch. Fitch still physically near his prime and he just neutralized Rory. Rory still kicked his ass in between. Kind of like his fight against Lima, only in reverse. I thought Lima won, and Rory v. Fitch.

I'm glad Rory made it through his side of the bracket because we'll see Lima get the chance to make a tactical adjustment and throttle Rory in the rematch. And it'll happen, just like he turned the tables against Koreshkov.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#14 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Absolutely beautiful performance from a top two favourite fighter of mine. One of the best of his career tbh. I didn't agree with the 48-47 from the two judges, thought it was a clear 49-46. His submission defense and TDD was such a joy to watch, completely nullified Gracie's game. I've been cashing in a lot recently, was very tough to pass up on Rory at -170. Amazing odds for that kind of match up.

I think this whole "Rory is past his prime" thing gets blown out of proportion. Had a very good win on the resume against Paul Daley, he beat one of the best WW's in the world in Lima, beat Fitch (despite the scorecards, he did way more damage), and the Mousasi fight was not necessary. Tough to hold that one against him. Super pumped for this rematch, though I do favour Lima this time around.
Thank you Clutch0z24
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#15 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:48 pm

That is not the old Rory, c'mon. Rory used to push guys back and be relentless with long punches and a foward push. Here, he was just feinting and messing around, throwing the occasional counter. There's no reason to let a Gracie have the middle of the cage.

Boggles to think anyone thinks this is Rory still at his peak. Go watch a highlight. He used to have his teeth gritted, pushing into the pocket with his jab and landing combos. Compare the Travis Bickle Rory to the Oh Shucks, Ma Rory we saw last night.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#16 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:51 pm

Pro tip: turn the volume off on your speakers anytime you look up Rory highlights. He appeals to a lot rap metal.

Look at his go after BJ's body, after Lawler against the fence...he was a mean SOB.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#17 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:55 pm

Rory c. 2015: "I'm a killer, I have a killer's instinct"
Interviewer:"Do you feel that every time you're fighting?"
Rory: "Yeah, but it's weird to feel it all the time even when I'm not fighting".

Born Again Rory just could not be the same fighter. Stop it.

The above guy was hunting animals with a spear in inland BC. His whole identity was to hurt, maim, kill.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Re: Bella tor 222 (Friday, 6/14): 2 titles, Chael-Machida 

Post#18 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:59 pm

Chael is as interesting a figure as anyone in MMA history. It's impossible to tell what he actually thinks or believes but he's so smart, so clever. Lol. When Lyoto joined him in the press conference, he caught him up: "We were just talking about the controversial decision after our back-and-forth barn burner..."
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#19 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:03 pm

Pico seemed to dispute that stoppage. Understandable but annoying. The three or four hammerfists were bouncing his eyes around in his head. That was clean.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,480

Post#20 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:04 pm

Rory looked good, didn't look like peak Rory though. I would like to see Danis get an actual opponent next time out. I won't lie, I don't mind seeing the Pico hype train come to an end.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts