Gasol Brothers First brothers with NBA CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS!

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,146

Re: Gasol Brothers First brothers with NBA CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS! 

Post#41 » by Sgt Major » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:09 pm

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:
Sgt Major wrote:Dude no one's talking about trophies, my point is that Spanish athletes act like crybabies all the time. Look at Spanish football national team, aforementioned Rudy Fernandez, Real Madrid FC and Barcelona FC, guys like Ramos and Busquets, even Fernando Alonso was an annoying little prick back in the day.

Oh, I almost forgot that little bastard in Moto GP, Marc Marquez.

You can find annoying athletes for any country

Try watching Real Madrid or Barcelona or their national football team once and you'll see that cheating is their modus operandi, not something only a few players do.

I'm done here, nothing else to say.
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,785

Post#42 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:33 pm

Sgt Major wrote:
Wasabi_Johnson wrote:
Sgt Major wrote:Dude no one's talking about trophies, my point is that Spanish athletes act like crybabies all the time. Look at Spanish football national team, aforementioned Rudy Fernandez, Real Madrid FC and Barcelona FC, guys like Ramos and Busquets, even Fernando Alonso was an annoying little prick back in the day.

You can find annoying athletes for any country

Try watching Real Madrid or Barcelona or their national football team once and you'll see that cheating is their modus operandi, not something only a few players do.

I'm done here, nothing else to say.

Well, for one, Id like to thank you for derailing a thread, with remarks bordering on racism, which might have proved to be an interesting read.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#43 » by DaddyCool19 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:36 pm

Spanish football players have to be in the Top 3 of biggest whiners/complainers in football. That has nothing to do with hating your country.
Sgt Major
Head Coach

Post#44 » by Sgt Major » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:44 pm

Well that's a word being overused with not knowing its true meaning or atrocities done in the name of it. Marking someone as a racist or a border racist for saying threre's a pretty long list of Spanish athletes and teams that are cheaters, divers etc is completely off target.

Edit: Thank you, DaddyCool19, you got my point.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#45 » by HeartBreakKid » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:09 pm

Sgt Major wrote:Well that's a word being overused with not knowing its true meaning or atrocities done in the name of it. Marking someone as a racist or a border racist for saying threre's a pretty long list of Spanish athletes and teams that are cheaters, divers etc is completely off target.

You said Spanish people are cheats and bastards - that's a pretty offensive statement, if someone was from Spain why wouldn't they take offense to that? Putting the caveat of "athletes" isn't much of a barrier, as athletes are just people...ie if you say Spanish athletes are cheats aren't you essentially saying Spanish people are cheats?
Salieri
Analyst
And1: 7,470

Post#46 » by Salieri » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:11 pm

Sgt Major wrote:Well that's a word being overused with not knowing its true meaning or atrocities done in the name of it. Marking someone as a racist or a border racist for saying threre's a pretty long list of Spanish athletes and teams that are cheaters, divers etc is completely off target.

I thought you were done here?

Thankfully for you, I have more class than you. Else, I would have used your post to remind everyone of what kind of atrocities Serbian people are capable of. Of course, I know better than to make stupid claims such as yours of cheating being the MO of every spanish team and player and I know Serbian people deserve to be judged individually, as everyone else. Generalization is the tool's tool.

Now, begone.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Post#47 » by Ado05 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:16 pm

So happy Marc got a ring. Great guy.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,785

Post#48 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:21 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:Spanish football players have to be in the Top 3 of biggest whiners/complainers in football. That has nothing to do with hating your country.

And this is a football thread?
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Sgt Major
Head Coach

Post#49 » by Sgt Major » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:27 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:

You said Spanish people are cheats and bastards - that's a pretty offensive statement, if someone was from Spain why wouldn't they take offense to that? Putting the caveat of "athletes" isn't much of a barrier, as athletes are just people...ie if you say Spanish athletes are cheats aren't you essentially saying Spanish people are cheats?

No, I didn't say that and you're just taking my words out of context.

That's it, have fun.
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,198

Post#50 » by BNM » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:20 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
TheHartBreakKid wrote:jokes aside unless I'm really blanking out, I can't think of a pair of brothers who were better than Pau and Marc basketball wise, so it's great that they get this feat and not a pair of role players (The Barrys) or scrubs (Sterling and Shannon Brown) or a one sided pair like the Currys.

Congrats to the Gasols!

Yep definitely the best brothers when you look at how good the worse brother is.

Harpers (Derek and Ron) were both solid players and were I think the closest before this to both winning. Ron got titles with the Bulls and Derek was on the Knicks team that lost to Dream and the Rockets right before that.

Yeah, those guys were pretty good, but not nearly as good as the Jordan bothers - Michael and DeAndre.

In terms of 3-point shooting, I think you have to go with the Curry brothers - Steph and Seth, but the Millers, Reggie and Mike aren't far behind.
Martensitic
Junior
And1: 313

Post#51 » by Martensitic » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:28 am

Spanish athletes usually embody sacrifice and passion for their sport. If Real Madrid has won so much in basketball and football is because they have an incredible aura and values of giving everything until the last second. Ramos and Busquets aren't dirty players, and you don't get to be two of the best players of the last twenty years just by whining.

Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, Rafa Nadal, Marc Marquez, Fernando Alonso, Javier Fernández, Mireia Belmonte, Iker Casillas, Andrés Iniesta, Puyol, Carolina Marín, Carlos Sainz, Gómez Noya, all of them well spoken and polite athletes, truly class acts on their sport and on the street.

You shouldn't be that racist with other countries, specially when only accounting basketball, there have been more embarrasing moments for serbian athletes, like Krstic throwing chairs, or Milicic statement about referees and their mothers.

Return to The General Board