We really should stop calling everyone a "Two Way Player"

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Re: We really should stop calling everyone a 

Post#21 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:49 pm

CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:Good point. How many 2-way players would anyone take before Harden or Curry?

and Harden and Steph ARE two way players...its not like they leave the court and sit on the bench when it's a defensive possession. The concept itself doesnt make sense

there is such a thing as team defense, which a lot of people don't seem to understand
To be a two-way player you have to be a good defender, Harden and Steph aren't good defenders so they aren't two-way players

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Steph is a great help defender and Harden actually can man up when hes locked in on that end...you dont have to be andre Roberson defensively to play defense
CobyWhiteDaGoat
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#22 » by CobyWhiteDaGoat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:52 pm

clyde21 wrote:
CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

and Harden and Steph ARE two way players...its not like they leave the court and sit on the bench when it's a defensive possession. The concept itself doesnt make sense

there is such a thing as team defense, which a lot of people don't seem to understand
To be a two-way player you have to be a good defender, Harden and Steph aren't good defenders so they aren't two-way players

Steph is a great help defender and Harden actually can man up when hes locked in on that end...you dont have to be andre Roberson defensively to play defense
Did you just call Steph a great help defender . Also, Harden has the potential to be a good defender but he's almost never locked in on that end

WeTheNorth123
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,363

Re: We really should stop calling everyone a "Two Way Player" 

Post#23 » by WeTheNorth123 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:52 pm

stepic wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:Good point. How many 2-way players would anyone take before Harden or Curry?

I’d take Kawhi over either of those players.

no question about it....im not even being bias right now

he is just efficient
clyde21
RealGM

Post#24 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:58 pm

CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:To be a two-way player you have to be a good defender, Harden and Steph aren't good defenders so they aren't two-way players

Did you just call Steph a great help defender . Also, Harden has the potential to be a good defender but he's almost never locked in on that end

uhh, yes I did...and u do know he led the league in steals twice? or is that not defense?
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,104

Post#25 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:02 pm

Two anchors? Completely ignores the man whose better than both on both sides of the ball and eliminated them both
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
CobyWhiteDaGoat
Ballboy

Post#26 » by CobyWhiteDaGoat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:04 pm

clyde21 wrote:
CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

uhh, yes I did...and u do know he led the league in steals twice? or is that not defense?
Both of those guys are average defenders at best. There's a reason their teams try to hide them on defense.

clyde21
RealGM

Post#27 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:09 pm

CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:Did you just call Steph a great help defender . Also, Harden has the potential to be a good defender but he's almost never locked in on that end

Both of those guys are average defenders at best. There's a reason their teams try to hide them on defense.

so average defenders dont qualify as two way players?
CobyWhiteDaGoat
Ballboy

Post#28 » by CobyWhiteDaGoat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:11 pm

clyde21 wrote:
CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

You have to be a good defender imo

ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,471

Post#29 » by ellobo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:33 pm

CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:To be a two-way player you have to be a good defender, Harden and Steph aren't good defenders so they aren't two-way players

Last season Harden was 90th percentile in the whole league in post defense. In 212 tracked possessions he held opposing post players to .68ppp on 37.8efg% and forced a turnover 21% of the time. In isolation defense, he was 71st percentile.

You can "hide" Harden on a post player and not get hurt. You can switch Harden onto a big in the pick and roll and not get hurt. It was part of Houston's defensive strategy to get him matched up on a big as many possessions as possible. And it was comical last year watching opponents try to exploit "mismatches" with Harden on a big, only to have him get a steal, deflection, or force a low percentage shot.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,059

Post#30 » by og15 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:34 pm

I always thought the idea of highlighting two way player is a short form for two way impact player. So it is a player that has good to great impact both on offense and on defense. I don’t really hear people calling Gobert a two way player because he gives you great defense and decent enough offense for a C, or guys who are great on offense and passable on defense.

Like I said earlier though, never heard of the idea that a two way player is twice as good as a guy who is primarily impacting on on side of the court.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#31 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:36 pm

CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:Both of those guys are average defenders at best. There's a reason their teams try to hide them on defense.

that's nonsense.
CobyWhiteDaGoat
Ballboy

Post#32 » by CobyWhiteDaGoat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:36 pm

ellobo wrote:
CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Last season Harden was 90th percentile in the whole league in post defense. In 212 tracked possessions he held opposing post players to .68ppp on 37.8efg% and forced a turnover 21% of the time. In isolation defense, he was 71st percentile.
I'd rather have my guard be good at perimeter defense

ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,471

Post#33 » by ellobo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:39 pm

CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:
ellobo wrote:
CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:Did you just call Steph a great help defender . Also, Harden has the potential to be a good defender but he's almost never locked in on that end

71st percentile in isolation is not good?

I also edited the post you quoted to add:
You can "hide" Harden on a post player and not get hurt. You can switch Harden onto a big in the pick and roll and not get hurt. It was part of Houston's defensive strategy to get him matched up on a big as many possessions as possible. And it was comical last year watching opponents try to exploit "mismatches" with Harden on a big, only to have him get a steal, deflection, or force a low percentage shot.

A perimeter player who can't be exploited in the post is a defensive weapon.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#34 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:40 pm

CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:
ellobo wrote:

is Klay Thompson better than Steph because he's considered a 'two player'?
CobyWhiteDaGoat
Ballboy

Post#35 » by CobyWhiteDaGoat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:40 pm

clyde21 wrote:
CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

that's nonsense.
If the only qualification to be a two-way player is to be an average defender then most of the league would be two-way players

CobyWhiteDaGoat
Ballboy

Post#36 » by CobyWhiteDaGoat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:41 pm

clyde21 wrote:
CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:
ellobo wrote:Last season Harden was 90th percentile in the whole league in post defense. In 212 tracked possessions he held opposing post players to .68ppp on 37.8efg% and forced a turnover 21% of the time. In isolation defense, he was 71st percentile.

I never said that

CobyWhiteDaGoat
Ballboy

Post#37 » by CobyWhiteDaGoat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:48 pm

ellobo wrote:
CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:
ellobo wrote:Last season Harden was 90th percentile in the whole league in post defense. In 212 tracked possessions he held opposing post players to .68ppp on 37.8efg% and forced a turnover 21% of the time. In isolation defense, he was 71st percentile.

71st percentile in isolation is not good?

I also edited the post you quoted to add:

A perimeter player who can't be exploited in the post is a defensive weapon.
I'm not trying to call Harden a bad defender, I just feel like he's not a good enough defender to be considered a two-way player. Also, how many of those iso possessions are in the post?

clyde21
RealGM

Post#38 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:57 pm

CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:You have to be a good defender imo

that's nonsense.
If the only qualification to be a two-way player is to be an average defender then most of the league would be two-way players

yes, that's why it's a stupid designation.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#39 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:57 pm

CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:I'd rather have my guard be good at perimeter defense

I never said that

but is Steph only plays on one side, and Thompson plays on two sides, wouldn't that make Thompson better? :-?

again, stupid label. doesn't make any sense. It's the type of crap Max Kellerman says.
CobyWhiteDaGoat
Ballboy

Post#40 » by CobyWhiteDaGoat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:58 pm

clyde21 wrote:
CobyWhiteDaGoat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
that's nonsense.

yes, that's why it's a stupid designation.
Which is why the qualification to be a two-way player should be to be a good defender.

Return to The General Board