ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason (incl. Trade) Thread, 2019

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,780

Re: Celtics General Offseason (incl. Trade) Thread, 2019 

Post#1881 » by flintsky21 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:45 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
Scarletfire81 wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:That's why somebody is getting traded

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I wonder if the Rockets would do a Brown + fillers for Capela. Celtics then resign Rozier. Rozier Smart Tatum Hayward Horford Capela is a playoff team. Just not a serious contender.
People will see then that Rozier is just as much an issue as Kyrie was. Rozier will always keep this team from meeting it's potential. He's a delusional kid who thinks he's an elite point guard. He will play for himself and ruin the team on the floor. He needs to go at all costs.that team you mentioned above is a first round exit IF they even make the playoffs. Rozier and one of Brown/Tatum need to be gone

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yes yes yes. Rozier thinks he should be starting when he's not even top 5 backup pg (Dinwiddie, Schroder, Rose, Morris, Vanvleet, Ish Smith all better, then there's argument for the likes of Patty Mills, Rondo, Barea, etc.) I could stomach Kyrie leaving but handing full time starting PG duties to Rozier would be the worst thing this team can do this offseason. I'd rather have Smart take that spot if we cant get somebody else like Rubio.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1882 » by MagicBagley18 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:47 pm

tanking usually never works your right. can't argue that but i'm not sure being in the middle is ideal either. the thing with stevens is even when you tank your not really hard tanking because his coaching style is suited for the less talented try hard maximum effort players and it is likely more compatible to types than stars-as of now.

winning 45-50 games and being 4-6 seed perennially is dangerous also. we will have to see what type of roster construction happens and the direction they go when kyrie leaves and no AD trade and also a big factor will be what horford does.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,318

Post#1883 » by Triple7 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:50 pm

Edug27 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
Don’t think we need to tank. We already have two top 3 picks on the roster. Personally, I think we bring Rozier and Horford back. Place an emphasis on developing Tatum, Jaylen and Williams. And allow Gordon to keep getting better... and just see where that takes us. We still have the Grizz pick. And if dudes like Jaylen and Rozier improve, we have better trade assets as well.

This is where I’m at too— I think most people think we finish with a better record next year [I mean, Vegas has us at 48.5 with the heavy expectation we lose Kyrie as BKN is at 50.5]. That means its pretty likely the trade values for Jaylen and Jayson go up pretty significantly.

The best move it to just hold serve for a year or two and build up for the next big piece that'll hit the market that hopefully will be more open to coming here. Losing Kyrie sets us back a year or two, but its not a reason to take a dumb risk that will incredibly likely [95%+] set us back another 5.

Agree. The Kyrie move was a hit and miss for Ainge. It just didn’t work out. There’s plenty of blame to go around from all sides. Kyries entering his prime and has all the right in the world to play wherever he feels the most comfortable. But at the end, it was a risk worth taking.

But moving Tatum for AD is a different story. KG was tentative with Boston because he was looking for a contender. With AD, it’s personal. He does not want to be a Celtic. Doesn’t need want to be in this city. It’s loud and clear. And the last thing Brad needs is another season with more unhappy players in that locker room.. we already saw how that played out last year.

Develop Tatum. Develop Jaylen. Develop Williams. Let Rozier grow. Let Gordon regain form. If Horford wants out, that’s fine. Allow him to get one last shot at a title. Hold onto Smart. He’ll be a handy trade piece once he’s in the last year of that contract.

I agree with this except with letting Rozier grow. That guy needs to go. We need a pg that can shoot and with playmaking skills.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,318

Post#1884 » by Triple7 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:56 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

The potential and talent was always there. So sad and frustrating they never got their **** together.

They have flashes of being great. That game against the warriors was a thing of beauty. The ball movement was great. Players trusts each other and communicated well. They seem to have fun that game. I thought that was the turning point. so frustrated and disappointed in didn’t worked out.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,120

Post#1885 » by Half-Full » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:02 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
CSL_1904 wrote:Tank! Please. The sooner we accept that's the only way to go, the better.

Don’t think we need to tank. We already have two top 3 picks on the roster. Personally, I think we bring Rozier and Horford back. Place an emphasis on developing Tatum, Jaylen and Williams. And allow Gordon to keep getting better... and just see where that takes us. We still have the Grizz pick. And if dudes like Jaylen and Rozier improve, we have better trade assets as well.

This is where I’m at too— I think most people think we finish with a better record next year [I mean, Vegas has us at 48.5 with the heavy expectation we lose Kyrie as BKN is at 50.5]. That means its pretty likely the trade values for Jaylen and Jayson go up pretty significantly.

The best move it to just hold serve for a year or two and build up for the next big piece that'll hit the market that hopefully will be more open to coming here. Losing Kyrie sets us back a year or two, but its not a reason to take a dumb risk that will incredibly likely [95%+] set us back another 5.

Do we really need another big piece? What about a really good smaller piece? Say somebody like Terrance Ross? He brings a lot to the table and he is a free agent.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,842

Post#1886 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:04 pm

Triple7 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

The potential and talent was always there. So sad and frustrating they never got their **** together.

They have flashes of being great. That game against the warriors was a thing of beauty. The ball movement was great. Players trusts each other and communicated well. They seem to have fun that game. I thought that was the turning point. so frustrated and disappointed in didn’t worked out.

Even the execution in some of these plays weren't as crisp and coordinated as they were two or three seasons ago. I still watch those Brad Stevens playbook type videos on Youtube, guys like Crowder, KO, IT, AB worked more machine-like. These are more free-style and random. It's also noticeable that most of the shots end up being threes. Not too many open shots at the rim.

That game in Oracle was definitely our peak with regards to playing as a team. Kyrie didn't even have to dominate. Everyone was touching the ball and knew where to be on the floor. People cutting and screening for each other. Making passes at the right moment. Once they caught a groove, there was really nothing the Warriors could do.
klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Post#1887 » by klemen4 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:10 pm

I want a pass first pg, Rubio would be perfect, still only 28 years old, do not know if tax payer Mle of 10 million would be enough.

Would also resign Rozier and Morris as bench gunners.

35 million Kyrie max going to Rubio(10mill), Rozier(12mil) and Morris(12mil).

If Tatum+Smart go in AD trade.

Rubio/Rozier
Brown/ Rozier
Hayward/Morris
AD/Morris
Horford/Baynes

You do not go more than 8 deep in playoffs. Imo that kind of team can win it all next season!
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1888 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:45 pm

Rubio is tough to use because of his limitations as a shooter and scorer, but he’s an excellent defender and floor general - Utah made the playoffs with him. I think he’s underrated
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#1889 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:47 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Rubio is tough to use because of his limitations as a shooter and scorer, but he’s an excellent defender and floor general - Utah made the playoffs with him. I think he’s underrated

14/8/5 vs the Rockets. He's very smart, not a great shooter as you wrote.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1890 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:12 pm

Good writeup here: https://www.slcdunk.com/2019/1/5/18169422/utah-jazz-ricky-rubio-point-guard-nba-starter

Had a career year his first season in Utah, then regressed as a shooter. Could be very effective with the right situation, including a center who stretches the floor, even if his shooting stays awful.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#1891 » by Bohemian » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:48 pm

And now what?

Kyrie is also one to blame here: had he not given up on the Celtics we would have pushed hard for Davis.

So:

No Davis
No Irving

and...no Horford?

yikes :x
ILC
Starter
And1: 1,899

Post#1892 » by ILC » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:01 pm

**** it, I really thought Danny would pull the trigger.

I'm not as gloomy as some with regards to this young core but I'd rather do the AD trade 10/10 times.

They need a vet now, bring RR back, bring Horford back and let's surprise some people.
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:Redemption. Water into wine....rondo is Jesus
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1893 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:03 pm

The conversation with Horford becomes about whether he wants to stay here on a team that may not contend or go somewhere more competitive in a trade - but this is a big hit for Boston’s trade values, I can feel all the wind going out of our sails - Kyrie leaves, suddenly Horford isn’t some prize for OKC, you’re getting Schroeder back in a sign and trade instead of Adams
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#1894 » by bucknersrevenge » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:10 pm

and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1895 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:16 pm

Can we make a huge offer for Towns, to be mentored by Horford?

They would have to find a taker for Wiggins to really make it viable.. if Orlando were willing to give them Fournier and Gordon to gamble on a Wiggins/Isaac/Bamba frontcourt.. we could throw Tatum or Brown, the MEM pick, a s&t’d Rozier..
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#1896 » by TheOGJabroni » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:40 pm

I was refreshing this thread and the AD one over & over. I think it’ about time we start a new offseason thread and try to limit the AD discussion. On to Plan B!
ILC
Starter

Post#1897 » by ILC » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:49 pm

Read on Twitter

Anyone know this guy? Says he's a season ticket member.
Bohemian
Analyst

Post#1898 » by Bohemian » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:53 pm

CsBsSoxPhins wrote:I was refreshing this thread and the AD one over & over. I think it’ about time we start a new offseason thread and try to limit the AD discussion. On to Plan B!

So, we have the following players under contract ¨for sure¨:

Smart
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Baynes

Williams
Yabusele

We have some pending decisions with Ojeleye, Horford can opt out on before Tuesday and we have several restricted free agents that could likely leave: Rozier, Theis, Wanamaker and Gibson.

We also have 4 draft selections on Thursday. Maybe we should just use all and fill up the roster.

And yes, there is one player who wanted to come here: Ricky Rubio.

So we could have:

Rubio Smart Draft selection
Brown Draft selection
Hayward Draft Selection
Tatum Draft selection Yabusele
Baynes Williams

Nothing fancy but after a beer I will somehow feel better
Bohemian
Analyst

Post#1899 » by Bohemian » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:54 pm

Edit: Where I wrote Rubio it could very well be Rondo, who apparently is interested in Joining Boston
ILC
Starter

Post#1900 » by ILC » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:54 pm

That Draft selection dude is very versatile. 4 positions

Return to Boston Celtics