Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#1001 » by BullyKing » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:03 pm

the_process wrote:Until players actually start signing, expect 95% of the “good news” to be for the LA and NY teams.

I wouldn’t be stunned to see a story soon about how Kawhi is still considering LA.

I'd consider that an encouraging Sixers rumor.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,699

Post#1002 » by the_process » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:09 pm

sixers4real wrote:
Stribor wrote:Ok I was very vocal against us going for Kawhi. I am an idiot, and know nothing.

Better just to watch the game and shut up..

Actually, it’s okay that we did not went for Kawhi. It would probably cost us Simmons and who knew Durant would get injured. A healthy GS would win the title. Kawhi is leaving Toronto, so was a huge gamble.

I say the chances of both Butler and Harris staying in Philly are higher then Kawhi staying in Toronto. So we can win our own title in the next 5 years.

I disagree with that.

As far as Kawhi goes, at that time the risk was astronomical unless you could’ve gotten him for the Butler package. If the Sixers had had a good executive in place running the show, maybe they’d have made the tough call. But no, instead the org was coming off Burnergate with no GM because Dave Silver stuck the Colangelos in charge.
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 934

Post#1003 » by Tony Franciosa » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:11 pm

M3 wrote:Is Klay a possibility for us in FA now after the ACL tear?
I don’t see Golden State paying two guys max contracts that won’t play at all (KD) and the majority of the year in Klay, especially going into a new arena.
Seems like GS is gonna shake things up and would you sign Klay for a playoff run if they let him walk?

Not at the expense of our existing assets. I would not go after Klay unless it was on a vet minimum for a playoff run.

Man, the complexion of this year's free agent class changed in almost an instant during these playoffs. More reason to run it back with our guys.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#1004 » by 51X3RF4N » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:36 pm

I feel that Kawhi was going to LA regardless. It's where he wants to live and be. Winning a ring in Toronto was not going to change his mind, and neither was losing in heart breaking fashion.

Dude has had LA tattooed on his forehead for 2 years now.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Kawhi sign with the Clippers on the 1st day of free agency.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#1005 » by mithrandir17 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:41 pm

M3 wrote:Is Klay a possibility for us in FA now after the ACL tear?
I don’t see Golden State paying two guys max contracts that won’t play at all (KD) and the majority of the year in Klay, especially going into a new arena.
Seems like GS is gonna shake things up and would you sign Klay for a playoff run if they let him walk?

Based on capulator, GSW only has 18M of Capspace if they renounce all of their FA including KD and Klay, so I don't think they will let go both.
http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=15487241935d03a4c973462834518840

Durant might leave but GSW won't let Klay go. Steph, Draymond, Iggy + MLE can still contend for a playoff spot (spots for 4-6). If they can get Klay back right before the playoffs, they still have a chance to compete next year.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,430

Post#1006 » by FlyingArrow » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:27 pm

It's hard not to try for a back-to-back. I'd say Kawhi is most likely a 1+1 in Toronto. And then continue that as long as they keep winning. But I expect he'll be in LA as soon as they don't win a championship. And it's possible he goes there this year anyway.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#1007 » by sixers4real » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:07 pm

the_process wrote:
sixers4real wrote:
Stribor wrote:Ok I was very vocal against us going for Kawhi. I am an idiot, and know nothing.

Better just to watch the game and shut up..

Actually, it’s okay that we did not went for Kawhi. It would probably cost us Simmons and who knew Durant would get injured. A healthy GS would win the title. Kawhi is leaving Toronto, so was a huge gamble.

I say the chances of both Butler and Harris staying in Philly are higher then Kawhi staying in Toronto. So we can win our own title in the next 5 years.

I disagree with that.

As far as Kawhi goes, at that time the risk was astronomical unless you could’ve gotten him for the Butler package. If the Sixers had had a good executive in place running the show, maybe they’d have made the tough call. But no, instead the org was coming off Burnergate with no GM because Dave Silver stuck the Colangelos in charge.

That's the thing. By all reports it was said Simmons or Embiid for Kawhi. I would still say no to that. Kawhi is going to LA regardless.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
Samson
Assistant Coach
And1: 243

Post#1008 » by Samson » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:31 pm

I actually think KL is much more likely to go to the Clippers now ... (and possibly the Lakers w/LeBron) -- winning the Championship gives him absolutely the best way to leave .... "Listen, I didn't ask to be traded here, but I was traded here .... I gave you my heart and soul and everything and I delivered a Championship, against all odds.... I gave to everyone, now I am going to do what I want to do, gracefully." --- I couldn't fault the man.

But again, I couldn't care less where everyone goes this off-season (other than I hope everyone doesn't go to LA, I am so sick of LeBiatch and now he needs every All-Star in the league to come play with him.) other than Tobias Harris, Jimmy Butler, a bit of JJ Redick, and certainly Ben Simmons's extension.
FlightBrothers
Bench Warmer
And1: 179

Post#1009 » by FlightBrothers » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:38 pm

Not at the expense of our existing assets. I would not go after Klay unless it was on a vet minimum for a playoff run.

That is absurd. Klay Thompson is a FA, you are not giving up any assets to get him and he is the perfect fit for us. I would max him out in a heartbeat. He will be just fine coming back from an ACL tear. If you have Butler, Embiid and Simmons we will be more than fine while we wait for Klay to come back. He is the perfect fit for our roster.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,430

Post#1010 » by FlyingArrow » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:44 am

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=9448596705d0481e79f960965335747

If we really want to run it back, and we want to use the MLE and BAE, I think the key will be do something that will turn some heads: sign JJ to a 4-year contract. Correct me if I'm way off, but I think JJ can expect to make another $25million over the next 2 or 3 years before retiring, and there are teams out there that will give it to him. But if we give him $10 million or more we won't be able to use both the MLE and BAE because we'll be pushed over the hard cap. But if we give him the $25 million stretched out over 4 years we can fit everything in.

You have to sequence everything correctly to use the MLE/BAE before actually going over the luxury tax, but these are the major things to do (not in the correct order):

1. Sign Jimmy and Tobias to their 5yr max contracts
2. Sign JJ to a 4yr/$25M contract
3. Waive/stretch J.Simmons. This year, that extra breathing room could mean we get a couple 10-day contracts if we need them and still be under the hard cap.
4. Keep Boban ($3M) as 3rd string center and Mike Scott ($4.5M) as 2nd string SF if we can get them for that price.
5. Give Shake Milton a real (but cheap) contract as 3rd string SG behind JJ/Zhaire.
6. That leaves us with 5 remaining holes: backup Center, 2nd and 3rd string PG, 3rd string SF and PF. Fill those using the 1st rd pick, full MLE, full BAE, and then 2nd round picks and/or minimum salary signings. Only two 2nd rd picks/minimum salary guys needed. (One of the minimums could be T.J. coming back as the 3rd string PG, but we really should have someone in the depth chart in front of him.)

All that could put us about $2M over the apron, so need to shave a couple million somewhere. That can be by signing 2nd rd picks for less than we could get a veteran minimum, or not quite using all of the MLE or BAE, or signing Boban/Mike Scott for a bit less, or letting one of those 2 walk and just signing another vet minimum. (In the Capulator link, I assumed we could sign Shake and a 2nd rd pick for under a million each, but there are other ways to do it.)

That's 15 guys. Then two of the 2nd rd picks on 2-way contracts and just enough under the apron to afford two 10-day contracts over the course of the season.

Depth chart could look like this:

Ben / BAE / T.J. (or other vet min)
JJ / Zhaire / Shake
Jimmy / Mike Scott / 2nd Rd Pick
Tobias / 1st Rd Pick / Bolden
Joel / MLE / Boban

(Plus two 2nd rd picks as two-way contracts and salary room for two 10-day contracts)

You can rearrange the BAE, MLE, mins, and draft picks depending on exactly who we can get.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,181

Post#1011 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:59 am

Is there any way we could S&T Harris for DLO without losing bird rights to Jimmy + the bench + MLE/BAE?

Harris and Kyrie in BKN seem like a decent tandem. I like how DLO fits with Embiid and our group.

DLO/Milton/Ponds?
Green/Redick/Norvell
Butler/(Vet min)/Zhaire
Simmons/Scott/Bolden
Embiid/Kabengele/Boban
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,810

Post#1012 » by mjkvol » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:15 pm

FlightBrothers wrote:Not at the expense of our existing assets. I would not go after Klay unless it was on a vet minimum for a playoff run.

That is absurd. Klay Thompson is a FA, you are not giving up any assets to get him and he is the perfect fit for us. I would max him out in a heartbeat. He will be just fine coming back from an ACL tear. If you have Butler, Embiid and Simmons we will be more than fine while we wait for Klay to come back. He is the perfect fit for our roster.

C'mon guys. Klay is going nowhere, and even discussing it is just spinning our wheels. Of all the big FA's, his return to GS is written more in stone than any other possibility.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#1013 » by 51X3RF4N » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:23 am

Ok, this AD trade has me thinking Butler is going to LA, and Tobi is going to Brooklyn.

Here's my take:

Offer Kawhi and Kemba, if both say no, offer Brogdon, Middleton, and Mirotic.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
papajoe
Junior
And1: 360

Post#1014 » by papajoe » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:25 am

Long felt we lose both, we're going to be laughing stocks of the offseason
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#1015 » by youngcrev » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:28 am

51X3RF4N wrote:Ok, this AD trade has me thinking Butler is going to LA, and Tobi is going to Brooklyn.

Here's my take:

Offer Kawhi and Kemba, if both say no, offer Brogdon, Middleton, and Mirotic.

I can see why it would make Butler to LA more likely, but why would it change anything with Harris? If anything, I'd think that would make us more attractive to him since he'd be able to have an increased role.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,116

Post#1016 » by Arsenal » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:32 am

papajoe wrote:Long felt we lose both, we're going to be laughing stocks of the offseason

A lot of people need to get fired if this happens.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#1017 » by PhilasFinest » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:45 am

Arsenal wrote:
papajoe wrote:Long felt we lose both, we're going to be laughing stocks of the offseason

Why?

Brand made 2 trades to improve the roster and try to compete for a title, which we did. We gave up late first rounders and role players.

Bringing in Harris and Butler gave us a sneak peak of the possibilities of having players of their caliber here, playing with Embiid and Ben.

If they do not resign, it’s not Brands fault they don’t like Philadelphia and prefer bigger market cities like New York and LA.

This is more of a reason why you make trades like this....because without them, your probably never bringing in a top tier FA. It’s just how the landscape of the NBA is and has been for several years now. Guys want to play in mega markets....No GM is changing the appeal of living in Philly on the East coast, with cold weather.

If they both leave, I think you offer up for Dlo, Kemba and also try to pitch Kawhi.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,116

Post#1018 » by Arsenal » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:47 am

PhilasFinest wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

Why?

Brand made 2 trades to improve the roster and try to compete for a title, which we did. We gave up late first rounders and role players.

Bringing in Harris and Butler gave us a sneak peak of the possibilities of having players of their caliber here, playing with Embiid and Ben.

If they do not resign, it’s not Brands fault they don’t like Philadelphia and prefer bigger market cities like New York and LA.

This is more of a reason why you make trades like this....because without them, your probably never bringing in a top tier FA. It’s just how the landscape of the NBA is and has been for several years now. Guys want to play in mega markets....No GM is changing the appeal of living in Philly on the East coast, with cold weather.

If they both leave, I think you offer up for Dlo, Kemba and also try to pitch Kawhi.

LOL. Pretty much everything in this post is wrong.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#1019 » by PhilasFinest » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:50 am

Arsenal wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

Why?

LOL. Pretty much everything in this post is wrong.

If you say so. Firing the GM and “a lot of people” would be wrong too. They literally have nothing to do with Butler/Harris coming back.

The decision is in their hands. They have played here, know the city, the fans, the team and what it will likely be like for the next few years.....if they choose to go to LA or NY, how is that the GM and others fault?

I guess we should have played out the season with Roco,Dario and Shamet....and sat around praying that a FA picks Philly via FA to improve.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,724

Post#1020 » by Mik317 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:34 am

if they leave..they leave.

**** would suck but it wouldn't be the end of the world either. Team goes as far as Embiid and Ben takes them either way. That money could then be used to fill out the roster...not to mention other top FAs might be looking our way in those scenarios.

I doubt Jimmy leaves to be the third wheel in LA. Maybe the Clippers. Maybe he follows Kyrie to New York (either team) because they are boys but I cannot see him leaving here because of his role to be a spot up shooter for Bron lol.

Tobias is a harder read but I imagine if we give him the max, he probably stays too.

honestly this deal and KD's injury probably makes it better in our favor if anything. The Knicks probably should continue to tank. The Nets won't be any better than us. The Lakers will be a sideshow with egos. The Clippers are the real threat but I imagine they get Kawhii and some other dudes to try to pull a Raptors.
#NeverGonnaBeGood

Return to Philadelphia 76ers