ImageImageImage

Mavs 2019 Draft discussion

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Re: Mavs 2019 Draft discussion 

Post#101 » by Pointguard01 » Sun May 19, 2019 3:41 pm

realEAST wrote:Hi guys, came for the quick stop :)

Here are some names that are imo interesting names in early 2nd round. Some of them might go earlier - Jerome, Kabengele, and even Claxton is climbing boards lately, but few should be there at #37, and some could even fall lower, and be nice late 2nd steals, if Cuban is willing to invest a bit (Zagars, Bazley, Mann, maybe even Paschall falls)

G: J. Nowell/A. Scofield/J. Pool/T. Mann/A. Zagars
F: E. Paschall/I. Roby/L. King/D. Windler/KZ Okpala/L. Samanic/D. Bazley
C: N. Claxton/M. Kabengele/D. Gafford

* T. Jerome, Q. Grimes, D. Jeffries, I. Brazdeikis, Cody Martin

I'd be especially keen on taking chance on guys like Zagars, Grimes, Jeffries or Martin of they went undrafted (latter two are more likely, Zagars or Grimes would return to Europe/Kansas if they get an indication they won't get picked imo)

My [realistic-ish] big board for the #37 pick is either:

Luka Samanic
Admiral Schofield

I love both of them and could see some strong roles for both of them on this team. If either are there, my brief observation would be that they could be good targets.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#102 » by realEAST » Sun May 19, 2019 11:35 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:

Here are some names that are imo interesting names in early 2nd round. Some of them might go earlier - Jerome, Kabengele, and even Claxton is climbing boards lately, but few should be there at #37, and some could even fall lower, and be nice late 2nd steals, if Cuban is willing to invest a bit (Zagars, Bazley, Mann, maybe even Paschall falls)

I'd be especially keen on taking chance on guys like Zagars, Grimes, Jeffries or Martin of they went undrafted (latter two are more likely, Zagars or Grimes would return to Europe/Kansas if they get an indication they won't get picked imo)

Luka Samanic
Admiral Schofield

I love both of them and could see some strong roles for both of them on this team. If either are there, my brief observation would be that they could be good targets.

Agree.
I also like Nowell as a combo guard, and I think Paschall could surprise if his shooting translates.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#103 » by Pointguard01 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:37 pm

realEAST wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:

Luka Samanic
Admiral Schofield

Agree.
I also like Nowell as a combo guard, and I think Paschall could surprise if his shooting translates.

What’s the scouting report/role type for those two?
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#104 » by realEAST » Tue May 21, 2019 10:36 am

Pointguard01 wrote:
realEAST wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:

Luka Samanic
Admiral Schofield

Agree.

What’s the scouting report/role type for those two?

At NBA level those guys project to be 3&D types, but they have a bit more rounded skillset as well.

Nowell is a big combo guard: over 6'4 with 6'7 wingspan, high level athlete, very good shooter and scorer, also a good defender, and being only 20 still has some potential as offense initiator (not likely to be primary initiator though, don't think he is going to be good enough passer) - he seems like a very good fit next to Luka as a guard.

Paschall is senior combo forward who comes from good program (Villanova): has good size (over 6'7 with 7'0 wingspan) and is very strong (254 lbs, with 6% body fat), so he could likely occupy PF spot. He is pretty mobile for size, and explosive, especially from a spot which is important for grabbing rebound (33' standing vertical, 39' running vertical). He is a good defender who knows how to play team defense and can swith on smaller guards (he locked down D. Graham in last year's NCAA tournament) but is also a capable shot maker - he can stretch the floor to 3pt line, but also hit shots of the dribble (this was actually his strong side coming into college, he developed other aspects later).
He is kind of Milasp-ish, but doesn't have nearly developed interior game, is more of a lob target (not sure if in NBA). Also, has a good connection with Brunson from Villanova days.
zonedefense
Analyst
And1: 3,941

Post#105 » by zonedefense » Wed May 22, 2019 6:18 am

If they decide to kepp the second round pick and Samantis or Cam Johnson are still available they are my prefered choices. Otherwise I would probably trade down and try to get 2 late picks. 2nd round is always a gamble but drafting raw players like N`Doye, Fall or Mokoka isn´t the worst move in the second round.
N´Doye and Mokoka are basically Frank Ntilikina...guards/wings with good athleticism, size and defense that lack offensive skills (especially shooting).
We all know Falls skill set. 7`6 / 290lbs big that can protect the rim and rebound.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#106 » by arkuo » Wed May 22, 2019 5:52 pm

If healthy and available in the 2nd round, Jontay Porter interests me. A Brad Miller - Nikola Jokic type.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#107 » by Darren » Fri May 24, 2019 9:33 pm

Do anyone have a list of athletic freak with exceptional measurement? I think the Mavs need this kind of talents badly. Kosta with a little maturity at SF/SG body is actually fine. Looking back, Crowder has made immediate impact with the Mavs. This kind of talents usually excel very well under Mavs system.
Darren
RealGM

Post#108 » by Darren » Sat May 25, 2019 3:55 am

NBADRAFT.NET has listed the Mavs at 39 instead of 37. Is it the true draft position? If I remember right, GSW owes the Mavs a 2019 second round pick? But it is still GSW pick (58) on the same page. I wonder if I am remembered wrongly.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#109 » by Teffer10 » Sat May 25, 2019 10:03 am

Darren wrote:Do anyone have a list of athletic freak with exceptional measurement? I think the Mavs need this kind of talents badly. Kosta with a little maturity at SF/SG body is actually fine. Looking back, Crowder has made immediate impact with the Mavs. This kind of talents usually excel very well under Mavs system.
If Mavs want another Crowder they should consider Admiral Schofield at 37.
Darren
RealGM

Post#110 » by Darren » Thu May 30, 2019 9:55 pm

I'd target athletic ability with solid defensive instinct first; then versatile combo forward and combo guard. I want to avoid drafting another PG. For one, I don't want to have more than 1 rookie on PG position. For another, combo guard excels better alongside Luka. Meanwhile, the most glaring need is any top-notch defender. There're plenty of options at 37.
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#111 » by deb » Fri May 31, 2019 2:58 pm

I don't get the excitement over Šamanić. He was barely a rotational player on a crap team in Europe, a low BBIQ player with a bit of athleticism. Seems like a less skilled Hezonja in a 6'10 body...
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 923

Post#112 » by Captain_Obvious » Fri May 31, 2019 3:28 pm

Darren wrote:NBADRAFT.NET has listed the Mavs at 39 instead of 37. Is it the true draft position? If I remember right, GSW owes the Mavs a 2019 second round pick? But it is still GSW pick (58) on the same page. I wonder if I am remembered wrongly.

We should have 37, not exactly sure why though

http://www.tankathon.com/full_draft
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#113 » by arkuo » Fri May 31, 2019 5:25 pm

deb wrote:I don't get the excitement over Šamanić. He was barely a rotational player on a crap team in Europe, a low BBIQ player with a bit of athleticism. Seems like a less skilled Hezonja in a 6'10 body...

Because a lot of people here have the need to build an all-Euro team because Dallas suddenly has Luka and Kristaps on board. Suddenly every European in the NBA need to band together in the same team to make sense of their existence.
Darren
RealGM

Post#114 » by Darren » Sat Jun 1, 2019 8:22 am

Adam Mokoka may go undrafted due to how limited offensively. At 21 yo, Mokoka averages 11 PPG on low percentage shots from everywhere. But that's the kind of defender who's a role for pure defensive purpose.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#115 » by Teffer10 » Sat Jun 1, 2019 3:59 pm

deb wrote:I don't get the excitement over Šamanić. He was barely a rotational player on a crap team in Europe, a low BBIQ player with a bit of athleticism. Seems like a less skilled Hezonja in a 6'10 body...

It isn't "Samanic" they are excited about....they just want another "Luka".
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#116 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:34 pm

draft a center in the 2nd round, and this time he better not be the oldest player ever drafted
Darren
RealGM

Post#117 » by Darren » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:03 pm

DaQuan Jeffries sounds interesting. Highflyer that could providing defensive efforts and energize the team and the crowd with defense, hustle and dunks. That's excellent fit. This type of players hit the rotation very quickly in the past for the Mavs. Josh Howard, Marquis Daniels, Raja Bell, Rawle Marshall, Jae Crowder and so on. Not to mentioned that this kid is not a liability from long range. Very efficient player afterall. A lot of site list Jeffries as undrafted rookie. I'm very interested in bringing Jeffries along. Potentially, DJ provides everything DFS could despite being only 6.5 but with 7-foot wingspan and higher motor. This is the first time in a couple of years an athletic stopper type of player is projected to go undrafted. I'd target this type of player first. Then, maybe elite shooting combo guard with great speed or athletic frontcourt.
Darren
RealGM

Post#118 » by Darren » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:08 pm

There 's so many great hustle player in 2nd round. I do want the team to add two more second round draft choices to select a little more. Since the Mavs has no business in contending unless Leonard signs with the Mavs, I'd rather finding some complementary pieces and building from within. The efforts may pay off a couple of years later. But one thing is for sure, I don't like slow and unathletic player from this range. Also, the intangible and efficiency is important. Finding players who could plug in into a new system without ego usually playoff. Of course, having above average IQ doesn't hurt.
Darren
RealGM

Post#119 » by Darren » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:26 pm

This kid is also interesting with over 7 rebound per game at 6"2. That's amazing.

If the Mavs lanes toward starting Powell and Zinger, I'd strongly consider this kid at current draft position.
10giz
Senior
And1: 661

Post#120 » by 10giz » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:50 pm

Most likely packaged with Lee to clear some cap space IMO.

Return to Dallas Mavericks