The Knicks Are Going to Get Screwed Again

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Re: The Knicks Are Going to Get Screwed Again 

Post#121 » by The_Hater » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:58 pm

Garbagelo wrote:called it

the smart ones know that their plan to get free agents was meaningless

doesn't mean we are on the wrong path

- Knick fan btw

Clearing cap space and signing a couple of superstars is a great plan when it works, like the 2010 Miami Heat, but 97% of the time it’s not an actual plan, just a pipe dream. And the Knicks have been down that pipe dream path before.

That said, there are many ways to use cap space wisely while rebuilding, such as taking on bad contracts and stockpiling picks like the Nets did the past few seasons, but the worst thing teams do in this situation is throw all their money at 3rd and 4th tier free agents who don’t really move the needle but just push a capped out team towards the treadmill. Unfortunately that’s usually the end result for these teams that don’t get the superstars.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,629

Post#122 » by Pointgod » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:04 pm

I’m only laughing at Knicks fans because of their absolute hubris acting like Zion was a lock and KD and Kyrie were a for sure thing. Remember all the stupidity during allstar game about how they were talking in the hallway? This should be a lesson to everyone that no one knows the mind of players and nothing is ever guaranteed. Hell Knicks fans deluded themselves into thinking Mitchell Robinson was the 2nd best asset the Pelicans could get from any team after Jayson Tatum lmao. Had such high pipe dreams but life comes at you fast. Anyways they should take comfort in the fact they got a decent return for Porzingis who was on his way out anyway and those Mavs picks should be decent considering that the West just got a lot tougher.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,610

Post#123 » by Billy Goat » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:18 pm

Pointgod wrote:I’m only laughing at Knicks fans because of their absolute hubris acting like Zion was a lock and KD and Kyrie were a for sure thing. Remember all the stupidity during allstar game about how they were talking in the hallway? This should be a lesson to everyone that no one knows the mind of players and nothing is ever guaranteed. Hell Knicks fans deluded themselves into thinking Mitchell Robinson was the 2nd best asset the Pelicans could get from any team after Jayson Tatum lmao. Had such high pipe dreams but life comes at you fast. Anyways they should take comfort in the fact they got a decent return for Porzingis who was on his way out anyway and those Mavs picks should be decent considering that the West just got a lot tougher.

What really stinks is the Knicks decided to get as bad as they’ve ever been in unison with the lottery changes.

Zion would have changed things for the Knicks. That was a bigger gut punch than KD probably not coming.

Knicks need to draft better period. Knox was a reach and has tunnel vision. Barrett projects a bit like that too. It’s such disjointed roster it’s tough to even know where to begin. I don’t like Barrett as a prospect but you get the feeling they’re taking him regardless.
Moahst
Senior
And1: 650

Post#124 » by Moahst » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:21 pm

If this all plays out in such a way that the Knicks whiff on all of the marquee free agent signings but still don't handicap themselves financially I'd say they're still in pretty good shape. They should spend their money on high character role players + vets and focus on developing their youth.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,610

Post#125 » by Billy Goat » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:24 pm

Moahst wrote:If this all plays out in such a way that the Knicks whiff on all of the marquee free agent signings but still don't handicap themselves financially I'd say they're still in pretty good shape. They should spend their money on high character role players + vets and focus on developing their youth.

Agreed. Overpay for some role guys to fill out the roster to give you competitive minutes and some competition for the younger guy.

You can’t have a starting lineup of Knox, Smith, Robinson and Barrett. That’s not helping anyone or will anyone develop that way.
ShazamDaShiznt
Analyst
And1: 4,766

Post#126 » by ShazamDaShiznt » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:30 pm

Clonetothebone wrote:
raptor jesus wrote:

in typical Dolan fashion, he disabled the comments. :lol:

Oh my God the like/dislike ratio is epic :lol: glad I can still report the video
nyknicks2k2
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 573

Post#127 » by nyknicks2k2 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:38 pm

Knicks will only be screwed if they max out sub par players or just hand out bad deals period.

Plan A was always to sign big time FAs. Same went for all these teams with 2 max slots. As long as our plan B is to continue with the rebuild, use the cap we have effectively and limit potential mistakes we'll be fine. People forget, when it comes to the KP trade, we didn't move a happy allstar just for 2 max slots. We traded a guy that made it clear he didn't want to stay. We got assets and cap flexibility.

People mocking Knicks fans for not getting Kyrie is weird considering most of us did not want Kyrie unless it was in a package deal. Kyrie coming alone would've been pretty disheartening. KD not coming would suck but wouldn't be all that shocking and with his injury not the worst thing. The Klaw isn't coming obviously. The others? Wouldn't even bother.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#128 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:41 pm

nyknicks2k2 wrote:Knicks will only be screwed if they max out sub par players or just hand out bad deals period.

Plan A was always to sign big time FAs. Same went for all these teams with 2 max slots. As long as our plan B is to continue with the rebuild, use the cap we have effectively and limit potential mistakes we'll be fine. People forget, when it comes to the KP trade, we didn't move a happy allstar just for 2 max slots. We traded a guy that made it clear he didn't want to stay. We got assets and cap flexibility.

People mocking Knicks fans for not getting Kyrie is weird considering most of us did not want Kyrie unless it was in a package deal. Kyrie coming alone would've been pretty disheartening. KD not coming would suck but wouldn't be all that shocking and with his injury not the worst thing. The Klaw isn't coming obviously. The others? Wouldn't even bother.

Yeah the Knicks are fine, people thought they could skip the line because of their market, doesn’t seem like it will work out. Still have plenty of options are long as they are patient and don’t do something dumb (which isn’t a given but more likely with this regime than past ones). Much better than pretending that building around Porzingis was going to end well.
Clincher
General Manager
And1: 694

Post#129 » by Clincher » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:42 pm

Knicks will pull a Nets move and use their available cap room to get picks or reclamation projects most likely and further their rebuild.

It's a great spot if they stay patient. Especially after getting screwed over in the NBA lotto by Adam Silver by giving a far better team the top pick over one of if not the worst team talent wise in the league.

Knicks should not have to give mediocre or good but not great players more money than they deserve. It's on Silver not Scott Perry if Knicks aren't good next year for the lotto debacle. Knicks should not overpay anyone that won't change the team culture for the better as much as the NBA would like them to be a better squad because the Lotto results speak otherwise
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#130 » by blueNorange » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:55 pm

Read on Twitter
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,695

Post#131 » by omerome » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:02 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Read on Twitter

Now if only half of this board would actually read this.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#132 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:07 pm

Maury2423 wrote:As a Knicks fan, I'm ecstatic that we didn't trade all of our youth and picks for AD. If KD wasn't hurt, then I may have been okay with it because it would help recruit KD and another max player. But to trade all of our youth and picks for AD is literally the typical Knicks thing to do... so as a Knicks fan, I can tell you im happy af

I'll be pissed af we max out kyrie, Jimmy, tobias, or other players similar to them without having a true number 1 guy

I don't think you need to be concerned with maxing anyone because they aint coming anyway.
But I would not be surprised if they offerred it to KD despite the injury tanked another year etc.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#133 » by shtolky » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:11 pm

SupaFly1978 wrote:Watch....Now that Anthony Davis is going to L.A., Kyrie will sign with the Lakers as a free agent because he knows Durant is done for all of next season, so he's not going to pair up with him in either New York or Brooklyn. And Durant will end up staying with the Warriors. Knicks have the worst luck, LOL

I know the Knicks have been a laughingstock for years but if you didn’t know what team you were referring to, you would be saying a team with good young talent, 70m in cap space, and 7 firsts in 5 years is doing just fine. They only screw themselves if they max players who don’t deserve it.
load management
Analyst
And1: 1,871

Post#134 » by load management » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:13 pm

I kinda like the young guys plus Barret growing, but they never do that.

They will botch organic growth with the likes of a Blake Griffin or Demarcus Cousins signing.
**** the Tony Brothers
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,765

Post#135 » by Karate Diop » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:32 pm

I'm not sure why people are acting like they're out of the Kyrie sweepstakes...
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#136 » by blueNorange » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:38 pm

Karate Diop wrote:I'm not sure why people are acting like they're out of the Kyrie sweepstakes...

because they're not getting kyrie by himself, the plan was always 2 top tier players and if not, keep the cap space and continue to rebuild.

with durants achilles injury the best option would be to not sign him, so that means getting kyrie is pointless because he's not winning anything by himself.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#137 » by Lalouie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:47 pm

SupaFly1978 wrote:Watch....Now that Anthony Davis is going to L.A., Kyrie will sign with the Lakers as a free agent because he knows Durant is done for all of next season, so he's not going to pair up with him in either New York or Brooklyn. And Durant will end up staying with the Warriors. Knicks have the worst luck, LOL

i can't wait for the stephen a rant sequel. the first was a classic
mszymko
Pro Prospect
And1: 252

Post#138 » by mszymko » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:53 pm

lol
nyknicks2k2
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 573

Post#139 » by nyknicks2k2 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:34 pm

Karate Diop wrote:I'm not sure why people are acting like they're out of the Kyrie sweepstakes...

Definitely prefer to be out of it. Landing Kyrie alone won't do anything for the franchise. I mean they'll be better but will they contend? No. So what's the point? To pair with Butler? Harris? Na. Don't see the positive in either.

The only reason most wanted Kyrie is because it was always assumed it was a package deal with KD. A very small percentage of Knicks fans wanted just Kyrie. Everyone else just didn't want to bother (due to injuries and attitude).
amory87
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,434

Post#140 » by amory87 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:40 pm

Charlie Brown trying to kick the football

Return to The General Board