Woj: Anthony Davis Traded to Lakers for Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart, & Three 1st Rnd Picks - including #4

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Winner

New Orleans Pelicans
30%
Los Angeles Lakers
32%
Both
33%
Neither
4%

Total votes: 540

bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Re: Woj: Anthony Davis Traded to Lakers for Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart, & Three 1st Rnd Picks - including #4 

Post#1021 » by bulliedog8 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:51 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:
bulliedog8 wrote:So lakers will only have 27.5 Mil? They are saying deal will be finalized July 6. No incentive for the Pelicans waiting until July 30 even though that would give them 5 mil more in cap. So if lakers want a star, theyd have to take a little pay cut.

Free agency begins June 30th 3pm, but official signings are on July 6th at 12pm est. The Lakers will have around $32.5M if AD waives his trade kicker.

THey only get 32.5 if the pelicans didn’t finalize until July 30. It Goes to 27.5 if finalized on July 6 AND Davis waives his kicker.

Pelicans are finalizing on July 6. And now woj said lakers will only have 24 mil. So I assume AD isn’t waiving it.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Re: Woj: Anthony Davis Traded to Lakers for Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart, & Three 1st Rnd Picks - including #4 

Post#1022 » by JellosJigglin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:51 pm

mademan wrote:Split the 30 mill between 4 players better than getting a Kyrie or Kemba

Pickup Beverly (10 mill), Danny Green (10 mill), Corey Joseph (6 mill), Baynes (4 mill)

Bring back Rondo and Bullock for min's

Bev/Rondo
Green/Cojo
Lebron/Bullock
AD/Kuzma
Baynes

Best defense in the league with lots of shooting. Tho im pretty sure LA will bust their load on a non-defense playing pg and end up being mediocre on defense this season

The Lakers have to get a 3rd guy. Adding someone like Kyrie, Kemba or Kawhi ensures that they'll be a good team even as Lebron gets older. I think this is the real reason the Lakers were willing to add the pick swaps to the deal. If they add a 3rd star then they'll be competitive for a very long time.

Right now with just Lebron/AD, those picks could end up being devastating for them. They have no choice at this point to go all-in for a 3rd guy. If they didn't give up so many picks, I'd agree with you about filling out the roster with guys who fit.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,082

Post#1023 » by mademan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:58 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:
mademan wrote:Split the 30 mill between 4 players better than getting a Kyrie or Kemba

Pickup Beverly (10 mill), Danny Green (10 mill), Corey Joseph (6 mill), Baynes (4 mill)

Bev/Rondo
Green/Cojo
Lebron/Bullock
AD/Kuzma
Baynes

Best defense in the league with lots of shooting. Tho im pretty sure LA will bust their load on a non-defense playing pg and end up being mediocre on defense this season

The Lakers have to get a 3rd guy. Adding someone like Kyrie, Kemba or Kawhi ensures that they'll be a good team even as Lebron gets older. I think this is the real reason the Lakers were willing to add the pick swaps to the deal. If they add a 3rd star then they'll be competitive for a very long time.

Right now with just Lebron/AD, those picks could end up being devastating for them. They have no choice at this point to go all-in for a 3rd guy. If they didn't give up so many picks, I'd agree with you about filling out the roster with guys who fit.

Kawhi is a no brainer, ofc. I dont think getting Kyrie or Kemba make them that much better though, vs getting some strong role players. And, especially with Kyrie, the injury risk between AD/Kyrie and an aging Lebron is just too much, imo. All 3 guys need to be playing <70 games a year, and, at that point, in the West, that means youre playing on the road every series.
Marmoset
Veteran
And1: 563

Post#1024 » by Marmoset » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:58 pm

When it comes to Kuzma, I think both teams got the trade that makes the most sense for them. For the Lakers, I think Kuzma is the most important of Kuzma/Ball/Ingram when it comes to trying to win right now. If you're looking to the future, I believe both Ball and Ingram have higher ceilings and are the guys I might want first if I was running a team like the Pelicans. Of course, there is no guarantee that either guy gets there.

The trade is a gamble for the Lakers, but after having thought about it, in some ways their situation mirrors where the Raptors were. The Raptors chance to win was going to run out soon and so they made they "all-in" move. The Lakers have a ticking clock on LeBron and have to make a big move to have a chance to win while he is still a top level player. I don't think this move alone gets them there, but obviously they aren't done.
JellosJigglin
RealGM

Post#1025 » by JellosJigglin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:59 pm

Noctilux wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:Pels are now my 2nd favorite team in the league. I grew a bit attached to these young guys over the years and went to bat for them against the haters. Watching them develop was both a frustrating exercise in patience :banghead: and a dad-like sense of pride :cry: . I know this last season playing with Lebron took a toll on them and they're probably relieved to get a fresh start. Most of you have no clue how good they really are. The Lakers overpaid but that's what it takes to get a player like AD.

Pelicans fans, trust me when I say this but you don't realize how lucky you are. Lonzo is a quiet, humble, unselfish dude. He plays winning, unselfish basketball and doesn't give 2 **** about his numbers. He's going to be a perennial all-defensive player. I've always called him the Draymond Green of point guards. He isn't your protoypical PG who handles the ball, but a ball-mover who plays hot potato and allows your stars to shine. He's the rising tide that lifts all boats. He's a straight up maestro in the open court. The noise surrounding him is literally all Lavar and he's just a clown with no real power.

Ingram has a Kawhi-like personality in that he's quiet off-court but his game is all business. He was the only player who was unaffected by all the trade rumors. In fact he stepped up and played like an all-star (27/6/6 in the last ~14 games before injury on high efficiency). His defense also looked elite at times. See the highlights when he switched onto Kyrie. I'm willing to bet he's going to be the better player between Tatum. It hurts to lose him.

Hart is a big-time role player. I used to call him "the wall" because he'd switch onto a big man in the paint and they had no chance of backing him down. It was hilarious to watch them when they thought they could take advantage of a smaller player. See David West's comments about how he knew it was time to retire when he couldn't back down Hart. We affectionately called him Josh Barkley on Lakersground because he's a fantastic rebounder for a guard. He will give you 40% shooting from 3. That's what he shot last season and this season up until late December when he had a knee issue. His shooting tanked after that. I'm confident after a summer of rehabbing he'll be one of the best 3/D players in the league. Similar game to Danny Green, except his perimeter defense is bad and his post defense is excellent.

Of course, this is all without mentioning the picks. Damn, I'm really going to miss those guys and will be rooting for them. Now that they're no longer wearing Laker jerseys people will really start to appreciate their talents more. Pels have a bright future. I don't like the games their front office played but the players have nothing to do with that. I think the Pels have the best young team in the NBA and they're going to be fun as hell to watch with Lonzo pushing the tempo. Congrats and good luck to you guys.

You failed to mention their injured riddled past and what a liability Lonzo is on the free throw line. Other than that, I agree.

Everyone knows their weaknesses. It's all people talk about to discredit their talents. No one ever talks about what they do well. Just look at all the people in this thread calling them trash. That's why I said Pels fans have no idea how lucky they are. Everyone is telling them these guys are garbage. NO is going to be the most fun team to watch in the NBA.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,725

Post#1026 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:00 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:
hoosierdaddy34 wrote:Lakers fans, and I have been one for 40 years, need to stop with Kyle Kuzma being our best asset. At least not when it comes to the basketball court. We all watched him last year struggle defensively and with his shot. Ingram was better than him at every facet of the game last year and his 3 years younger. Anybody with eyes could see that. Whatever we got AD...but let’s not pretend it was some coup that we kept Kyle freaking Kuzma. :lol:

It's not about individual talent. I believe Lonzo and Ingram both have him beat as individual players. Kuzma's value is that he's a better fit next to a Lebron/AD pairing. He gets buckets and doesn't need the ball. Of the 3, he'll be the best 3rd/4th option, even though he's less talented.

Ingram played his best basketball when Lebron wasn't on the court. They never quite figured out how to play with each other. BI is a guy who can run your offense, and even played some PG for the Lakers, but he needs the paint to be cleared out. He isn't a floor spacer yet but I feel strongly that he eventually will become one as he adds strength. He's shown he can do it on low volume.

Lonzo was the guy I wanted to keep the most, but again, when you have Lebron/AD you need a guard who spaces the floor. He was a good shooter in college and showed he can be streaky in the NBA. He isn't far from being an all-star if he just adds a consistent shot. Even just around 36% from 3 will take his game to another level. Kemba or Kyrie would be more ideal.

How again does he fit better when his defense is very subpar and shot just 31% from 3 last year? Including like just 29% in C&S situations? He shot the ball well the first couple months in the league. But didn’t shoot well the end of his rookie year, didn’t shoot well his entire second year and wasn’t a good shooter in college. What seems to be the outlier here? Lonzo and Ingram are both closer to that magical 36% rate than Kuzma is.

This is one of those situations that keeps getting repeated over and over again in Lakeland but just isn’t true. We love to repeat these narratives over and over again without looking at the actual situation in front of us.

I like Ingram’s upside the most, but I would accept the argument that Lonzo fit the best absolutely. He is so productive without the ball, that is a solid argument to keep him over Ingram. But I see zero case to be made for Kuzma.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#1027 » by dautjazz » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:04 pm

jpengland wrote:Christ, the Lakers are now thin.

AD, an ageing LeBron, Kuzma, Bonga and Wagner with no picks for 6 years.

They will likely target another star.

Then its essentially minimum guys. Once Kuzma gets a raise its tax payer MLE only each year and no trade assets to find other routes

Actually they have 3 picks, they only traded 3 picks, then there is a swap or two.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#1028 » by queridiculo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:05 pm

celtics543 wrote:Is it really smart for LA to sign another max guy? Wouldn't they be better off actually thoughtfully filling out the roster now with their remaining cap space?

You can sign Kemba, have 6 players total and then fill in the last 9 with minimum guys I guess but that sounds like a real recipe for failure.

Really depends on who the max guy is, assuming they get enough space make it close.

If you can add Leonard, you don't even think about it, Brogdon would be another guy worth looking at and Irving, well you'd almost have to do it because of the star power, although I'm torn about his pedigree.

Durant is obviously out of the picture, doesn't fit their timeline and Butler doesn't seem like a great fit.

Going Ham on role players might be their best bet and it gives them the added flexibility to perhaps make another FA run next year.

Beverly, Ariza, Cousins, they need a two guard badly, Shumpert perhaps?

Ton of options, how they work things out with the trade kicker is going to be key.
JellosJigglin
RealGM

Post#1029 » by JellosJigglin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:05 pm

mademan wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:

Bev/Rondo
Green/Cojo
Lebron/Bullock
AD/Kuzma
Baynes

Kawhi is a no brainer, ofc. I dont think getting Kyrie or Kemba make them that much better though, vs getting some strong role players. And, especially with Kyrie, the injury risk between AD/Kyrie and an aging Lebron is just too much, imo. All 3 guys need to be playing <70 games a year, and, at that point, in the West, that means youre playing on the road every series.

If it's just Lebron/AD + role players then you're putting way too much load on those 2 guys. Doesn't matter how good the role players are, if one of those two stars goes down they aren't going to be very good. AD has already shown he can't do it alone, and Lebron at this stage of his career can't either. If you have 3 stars and one of them goes down, you can still win games even if the role players aren't as good.

The Lakers basically can't have a bad season for the next 6 years. Lebron will be fading over the next 3 years. They have to add another young star who can give them some prime years. They have a dagger hanging over their heads for a long time and can't afford to slip. They would not have given up all those picks if they were just going to fill out the roster with role players.
JellosJigglin
RealGM

Post#1030 » by JellosJigglin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:09 pm

bulliedog8 wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:
bulliedog8 wrote:So lakers will only have 27.5 Mil? They are saying deal will be finalized July 6. No incentive for the Pelicans waiting until July 30 even though that would give them 5 mil more in cap. So if lakers want a star, theyd have to take a little pay cut.

Free agency begins June 30th 3pm, but official signings are on July 6th at 12pm est. The Lakers will have around $32.5M if AD waives his trade kicker.

THey only get 32.5 if the pelicans didn’t finalize until July 30. It Goes to 27.5 if finalized on July 6 AND Davis waives his kicker.

Pelicans are finalizing on July 6. And now woj said lakers will only have 24 mil. So I assume AD isn’t waiving it.

Well if that's true then it's a bummer. I saw multiple reports saying they'd have $32.5M.
dautjazz
RealGM

Post#1031 » by dautjazz » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Middle Child wrote:Lakers likely miss on the free agent Guards(Kyrie, Kemba and Butler) and go after CP3 with Kuzma as the only viable option?

5- AD
4-
3- LeBron
2-
1- CP3

LeBron/CP3 would be ball movement heaven if they both commit to it and having one of them on the court at all times will at least allow LA to control pace all game. Age is a concern but if managed properly they’ll be fine.

Paul’s talents are being wasted currently, LeBron shouldn’t want to handle the entire offense at this stage in his career.

CP3 is under contract, and making $38.5M. WAY overpaid, they need to go after Kemba or Irving.
NickAnderson wrote:

will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#1032 » by will » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:17 pm

Wow. One night to digest this deal.

Man...Linda got some balls for making this deal!
dautjazz
RealGM

Post#1033 » by dautjazz » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:21 pm

phraoh wrote:Laker fans...really...I am not trying to be obnoxious, but why do you think the Lakers will be good in 2021-2025? Because they have AD? Odds are very high they either will NOT have Lebron or he will be what 38 years old? You think he will still be a superstar? I guess they could be good...but after AD resigns...what Lebron and him will be making 70-75 mill between them...what's left to fill the roster?

The Lakers can still sign a star like Walker, Irving, or Butler...
NickAnderson wrote:

will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#1034 » by will » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:22 pm

HA
HAH
HUUH
HUUUH
Noctilux
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,236

Post#1035 » by Noctilux » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:23 pm

Lavar Ball was just seen in NO buying a LaBron Voodoo doll.
JellosJigglin
RealGM

Post#1036 » by JellosJigglin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:24 pm

hoosierdaddy34 wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:
hoosierdaddy34 wrote:Lakers fans, and I have been one for 40 years, need to stop with Kyle Kuzma being our best asset. At least not when it comes to the basketball court. We all watched him last year struggle defensively and with his shot. Ingram was better than him at every facet of the game last year and his 3 years younger. Anybody with eyes could see that. Whatever we got AD...but let’s not pretend it was some coup that we kept Kyle freaking Kuzma. :lol:

It's not about individual talent. I believe Lonzo and Ingram both have him beat as individual players. Kuzma's value is that he's a better fit next to a Lebron/AD pairing. He gets buckets and doesn't need the ball. Of the 3, he'll be the best 3rd/4th option, even though he's less talented.

Ingram played his best basketball when Lebron wasn't on the court. They never quite figured out how to play with each other. BI is a guy who can run your offense, and even played some PG for the Lakers, but he needs the paint to be cleared out. He isn't a floor spacer yet but I feel strongly that he eventually will become one as he adds strength. He's shown he can do it on low volume.

Lonzo was the guy I wanted to keep the most, but again, when you have Lebron/AD you need a guard who spaces the floor. He was a good shooter in college and showed he can be streaky in the NBA. He isn't far from being an all-star if he just adds a consistent shot. Even just around 36% from 3 will take his game to another level. Kemba or Kyrie would be more ideal.

How again does he fit better when his defense is very subpar and shot just 31% from 3 last year? Including like just 29% in C&S situations? He shot the ball well the first couple months in the league. But didn’t shoot well the end of his rookie year, didn’t shoot well his entire second year and wasn’t a good shooter in college. What seems to be the outlier here? Lonzo and Ingram are both closer to that magical 36% rate than Kuzma is.

This is one of those situations that keeps getting repeated over and over again in Lakeland but just isn’t true. We love to repeat these narratives over and over again without looking at the actual situation in front of us.

I like Ingram’s upside the most, but I would accept the argument that Lonzo fit the best absolutely. He is so productive without the ball, that is a solid argument to keep him over Ingram. But I see zero case to be made for Kuzma.

I didn't say anything about his 3-ball :confused:. I said he's the best 3rd/4th option out of the 3 between he, Lonzo and BI. He doesn't need the ball to get his 20 points. Lonzo isn't really an option in the halfcourt. He's elite in the open court and defers in the halfcourt. That is both a blessing and a curse depending on who you have around him. If you're going to run the offense through Lebron/AD, as they should, then Kuzma is the better release valve.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,201

Post#1037 » by amcoolio » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:29 pm

dautjazz wrote:
phraoh wrote:Laker fans...really...I am not trying to be obnoxious, but why do you think the Lakers will be good in 2021-2025? Because they have AD? Odds are very high they either will NOT have Lebron or he will be what 38 years old? You think he will still be a superstar? I guess they could be good...but after AD resigns...what Lebron and him will be making 70-75 mill between them...what's left to fill the roster?

Not this year, according to Woj they only have 24M in space. Kemba really going to take a 16M per year pay cut?
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Mind_Odyssey
Analyst
And1: 4,957

Post#1038 » by Mind_Odyssey » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:34 pm

What type of player is Alonzo Ball projected to be? Has he improved his jump shot at all?
JellosJigglin
RealGM

Post#1039 » by JellosJigglin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:39 pm

amcoolio wrote:
dautjazz wrote:

Not this year, according to Woj they only have 24M in space. Kemba really going to take a 16M per year pay cut?

I'm always skeptical of anything Woj says about the Lakers. He's always been doom and gloom because he has no sources in the organization. The following was reported by KOC and a more reasonable explanation:

To even have a shot at Walker—or any other pricey free agent—the Lakers will have to wait to officially complete this deal. If it were to go through before July 6, the Lakers wouldn’t be able to create the $32.7 million necessary to sign Walker or another max free agent, such as Kawhi Leonard, who league sources say the Lakers will pursue. It’s likely the AD deal will go down in the same way the Kevin Love–to–Cleveland trade occurred. Both swaps will have been orchestrated by David Griffin, who was in charge of Cleveland back then, and is currently the executive vice president of basketball operations for New Orleans. Back in 2014, the Cavs had to sign Andrew Wiggins to his rookie contract, then wait 30 days until he was eligible to be traded to meet NBA contract requirements to complete it. Odds are, this is precisely what’ll happen with the Lakers and Pelicans.
dautjazz
RealGM

Post#1040 » by dautjazz » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:40 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
dautjazz wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:Lakers got fleeced. Who were they bidding against again?? What a joke of a franchise.

How did get fleeced? Their best assets were Lebron and Kuzma, and didn't trade either. Ingram is in his final year, he's a big risk with his health, and Lebron can't wait around for this kid to enter his prime. Ball just isn't that good, atleast not yet. Hart is ok, but come on he was a 7ppg guy last year. The fourth pick could be really nice, but the other picks, will probably be players that will be in the G-League more than their actual roster. Other than 3 late first round steals (Siakam, Bogdanović, and Kuzma), picks 26-30 are pretty forgettable players. 1 in 10 turns out to good player in this range. Now with Lebron AND Davis, they will be very attractive for a star to join to their back court. They still got a ton of money left. In the end, what was better, to trade a few guys who wont shift the needle for the Lakers in the next couple of years, or make this move now in be an instant contender.

I made a poll a few days ago on GB asking posters to rate the Lakers best trade asset outside of LeBron. The number four pick was the runaway winner followed by Ingram then Lonzo. Kuzma was last. You’re definitely in the minority with that opinion.

I don’t think the Lakers are getting a third guy but let’s say best case scenario happens and Kawhi signs. How are Lakers filling out their roster? They’ll have one MLE then the tax paying MLE each year after. Outside of that it’s all minimum contracts.

Even if you’re not high on Ingram or Lonzo the picks are a killer. You think they’ll all be late 20s. Maybe the first couple will. LeBron is turning 36 this year. His body is starting to break down. Pelicans now own the Lakers future for the next half decade. We’ve already seen a version of how this plays out with the Nets.

I don't think Leonard is leaving, nor should he. Leonard is in a great situation, they just won a title, Siakam is young, will only get better, etc. Now if he did go to LA, you could surround this team with anybody, they are champs for the next 3 years. I'd say Lebron and Leonard are probably the two best players in the NBA, but lets throw in Curry, Harden, and Giannis in that mix. I would say AD is probably in the next group. I purposely left out Durant because we don't know what he'll come back as, and he wont be back to a high level of play probably for atleast 2 years.
NickAnderson wrote:

Return to The General Board