ImageImageImage

What's plan B, C, D now?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Re: What's plan B, C, D now? 

Post#121 » by return2glory » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:47 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:I really need Timelord to become good enough to start at some point this season. Unreasonable? Probably. But not from the guy who will shout CHAMPIONSHIP! every chance he gets.

I want that to happen too but he is so limited offensively. Also this game is so mental and seeing that story on him last year, he lacks confidence and doesn’t really believe he is that good. Belief is hard to turn around.

I’m hoping somehow we need our center center in this year’s draft or trade for one.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#122 » by sam_I_am » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:54 pm

I think the plan is to build around Smart/Brown/Tatum. We need Horford so I hope he stays. Hayward is redundant and we need his contract to get a star to balance roster. I would prefer he stay and see Tatum/Brown/Hayward thrive together but am unconvinced it will. Would not be shocked to see Hayward traded for Beal/Conley/Paul (would need more from HOU) or for a package that better balances roster. Might have to wait until trading deadline after he proves he is still worth max dollars and what might be available.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,852

Post#123 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:56 pm

return2glory wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:I really need Timelord to become good enough to start at some point this season. Unreasonable? Probably. But not from the guy who will shout CHAMPIONSHIP! every chance he gets.

I want that to happen too but he is so limited offensively. Also this game is so mental and seeing that story on him last year, he lacks confidence and doesn’t really believe he is that good. Belief is hard to turn around.

I’m hoping somehow we need our center center in this year’s draft or trade for one.

Capela is limited too offensively. But look what he's doing for the Rockets. Williams needs reps and to play alongside good players, not only in garbage time. I don't need him to have post moves or whatever. Outside shot can come later. Just need him to catch lobs, grab offensive boards for putbacks, set good screens, and to learn to pass out from inside the paint and to hit cutters from top of the key.

It would be hard to give him those minutes when team is trying to win though. So I dunno how they strike that balance but we have to see what we got with him. With 3 1st round picks, I sure hope one of them is a big.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,983

Post#124 » by CelticFaninLBC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:19 pm

Plan B should involve forming a cohesive roster, and not have guys on Ainge's perpetual trade block.

Rozier was unhappy with not only Kyrie, but Hayward too.
Also it seems as if others were complaining about Hayward.

It would not surprise me if both Brown and Rozier are gone. Perhaps Ainge goes after a pass first guard like Lonzo Ball? Just can't see Lavar permitting Lonzo to get buried in NO.
FutureIsGreen
Junior
And1: 236

Post#125 » by FutureIsGreen » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:33 pm

CelticFaninLBC wrote:Plan B should involve forming a cohesive roster, and not have guys on Ainge's perpetual trade block.

Agreed up to this point.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#126 » by djFan71 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:50 pm

I like all 5 guys, but, I do have concerns about having all of Rozier, Smart, Brown, Tatum and Hayward together. Even with Kyrie & Morris gone, there is still not enough minutes and usage opportunities. And I think it comes down to picking Smart or Rozier.

You can handle Tatum/Brown/Hayward @ 32 minutes each => 96 for both of your 2 & 3 spots. But then you have Smart & Rozier fighting over 48 minutes. Or you're playing at least 16 minutes of small ball a game with one of the first 3 at the 4. I'm kinda done with that and want real bigs. Al, Baynes, Williams, draft, MLE. Get and play tall guys.

If you traded Smart in a deal for a big (like the AD rumors), my Rozier island property was great. But if you're keeping him, I'm not sure I want to go that route. There are still options out there to use Smart, salary picks to get a big. In that case, I bring Terry back. But if both are here, you know Brad will play Smart more minutes and Terry will be ineffective again. In that case I might go with a vet backup point like a Corey Joseph type. Or my 0.2% chance of Dinwiddie for Kyrie, etc.

I know there are injuries, etc, but I want a clear starting unit and minutes distribution when everyone's healthy. Then deal with injuries with actual depth, not starters waiting around impatiently on the bench.
crashfromboston
Senior
And1: 11

Post#127 » by crashfromboston » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:01 pm

What about bringing butler in to run the point, Cant be worse than kyrie
someone bring kyledog back.. at least his homer trades worked for the celtics..
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager

Post#128 » by CelticFaninLBC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:01 pm

djFan71 wrote:I like all 5 guys, but, I do have concerns about having all of Rozier, Smart, Brown, Tatum and Hayward together. Even with Kyrie & Morris gone, there is still not enough minutes and usage opportunities. And I think it comes down to picking Smart or Rozier.

You can handle Tatum/Brown/Hayward @ 32 minutes each => 96 for both of your 2 & 3 spots. But then you have Smart & Rozier fighting over 48 minutes. Or you're playing at least 16 minutes of small ball a game with one of the first 3 at the 4. I'm kinda done with that and want real bigs. Al, Baynes, Williams, draft, MLE. Get and play tall guys.

If you traded Smart in a deal for a big (like the AD rumors), my Rozier island property was great. But if you're keeping him, I'm not sure I want to go that route. There are still options out there to use Smart, salary picks to get a big. In that case, I bring Terry back. But if both are here, you know Brad will play Smart more minutes and Terry will be ineffective again. In that case I might go with a vet backup point like a Corey Joseph type. Or my 0.2% chance of Dinwiddie for Kyrie, etc.

I know there are injuries, etc, but I want a clear starting unit and minutes distribution when everyone's healthy. Then deal with injuries with actual depth, not starters waiting around impatiently on the bench.

Yeah I can't see all 5 working, and my worry is Ainge brings them all back so he can make some deadline trade. Most likely whomever's he targets won't want to be in Boston just like George, Kawhi, Kyrie and AD.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager

Post#129 » by CelticFaninLBC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:03 pm

crashfromboston wrote:What about bringing butler in to run the point, Cant be worse than kyrie

Supposedly Butler's not a good teammate.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#130 » by Darth Celtic » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:08 pm

klemen4 wrote:With AD gone what we do now?

1)give Al Horford chance to compete for a ring? Resigned for 20 million per year we can trade him for Capela straight.

2) resign Rozier, can not lose another asset, but play him off ball with Hayward as point forward.

Rozier/smart
Brown/rookie
Hayward/semi
Tatum/rookie/Yabu
Capela/Baynes/Williams

Draft PF and SG...give rookies minutes.

What will Danny do?
I don't trade Al and assets for another player. I sell him for picks and young players on rookie scale contracts and salary filler.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using RealGM mobile app
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,780

Post#131 » by flintsky21 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:38 pm

Trade for Capela. Sign Rubio. Be the East version of the Utah Jazz.
crashfromboston
Senior
And1: 11

Post#132 » by crashfromboston » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:17 pm

CelticFaninLBC wrote:
crashfromboston wrote:What about bringing butler in to run the point, Cant be worse than kyrie

Supposedly Butler's not a good teammate.

Neither was Kyrie, but he had a respectable season with young teammates in phili. Thats something to consider.
someone bring kyledog back.. at least his homer trades worked for the celtics..
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,441

Post#133 » by SichtingLives » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:28 pm

The most important thing that can come of this season and also most sobering is that we need Hayward to return to some semblance of all-star form and we need it from the get go. If we can't either recover his value to trade or value on the floor, we are really stuck in $hitsville with no spare tire. And for the love of god will people stop pretending its ok for our max guy to become a 4 year bench player on that contract. I get what happened last year it was necessary but it would be a travesty to keep bringing a 30 mil player off the bench and a complete debacle if thats all hes ultimately capable of.

For all this talk about Capela he is the epitome of an anti-Ainge and anti-Brad player. Maybe they've turned some strange leaf where they finally recognize the importance of rebounding and rim protection but nahhhhhh I need to see that to believe it. setshot knows what im talkin about lol
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#134 » by Roddy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:42 pm

Jurry wrote:For all this talk about Capela he is the epitome of an anti-Ainge and anti-Brad player. Maybe they've turned some strange leaf where they finally recognize the importance of rebounding and rim protection but nahhhhhh I need to see that to believe it. setshot knows what im talkin about lol

What about the Robert Williams pick last year ? :wink:
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,441

Post#135 » by SichtingLives » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:45 pm

Roddy wrote:
Jurry wrote:For all this talk about Capela he is the epitome of an anti-Ainge and anti-Brad player. Maybe they've turned some strange leaf where they finally recognize the importance of rebounding and rim protection but nahhhhhh I need to see that to believe it. setshot knows what im talkin about lol

What about the Robert Williams pick last year ? :wink:

After 16 years of drafting earth bound finesse 5's someone got a clue in the front office? i dont know way to soon for anyone to be getting credit for turning that culture around guess we need to trust the process and see where it goes (what we do best baby!). ps can we steal that tag feels like it fits us more than philly now
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Brett43
Junior
And1: 167

Post#136 » by Brett43 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:26 pm

Plan F (for fantasy):

Resign Horford
Let Rozier walk
Trade for Lonzo Ball. (not Tatum or Brown)

I don't even know if signing Lonzo is possible, but I would be stoked if it happened.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,950

Post#137 » by Bad-Thoma » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:42 pm

Well, I think plan B looks a little something like this.

Gordon Hayward getting back to being Gordon Hayward on a nightly basis would be a great start, the youth taking a step forward, and Al resigning on a team friendly deal so we can add some vet help and all of a sudden the emo crowd will start backing away from the ledge. Who am I kidding, they'll always be on the ledge, **** em.

The best news about plan B is it is actually likely to happen. Gordon showed signs last season, our youngs are young and should naturally improve, and Al seems to like Boston. The biggest question is whether Kyrie was the problem last season, I know Terry has looked the fool at times but usually that sort of issue comes from the top, not the bottom. I doubt Terry had the locker room clout to make this team as dysfunctional as it looked last season, and if did I doubt he'll be back. Kyrie won't be addition by subtraction, he is too talented for that, but if the team becomes a team again it won't hurt nearly as bad when he signs somewhere else.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 18,936

Post#138 » by Ben-N1ce » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:43 pm

No plan until they figure out what to do with AL. If he is retained they will make the playoffs but won't be a contender.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#139 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:44 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
return2glory wrote:

Capela is limited too offensively. But look what he's doing for the Rockets. Williams needs reps and to play alongside good players, not only in garbage time. I don't need him to have post moves or whatever. Outside shot can come later. Just need him to catch lobs, grab offensive boards for putbacks, set good screens, and to learn to pass out from inside the paint and to hit cutters from top of the key.

It would be hard to give him those minutes when team is trying to win though. So I dunno how they strike that balance but we have to see what we got with him. With 3 1st round picks, I sure hope one of them is a big.

I agree. I am high on Williams if his knees hold up and he is coached right. (I'm not sure they've had a decent big-man coach presumably since Walta left.) Exactly what they don't need is a big with a lot of usage or the ball in his hands. I like his somewhat fierce, D-is-important, attitude. All accounts are that he learns fast on the court, though we saw he still had a ways to go in terms of team D last year. He also seemed to have pretty good court vision and a knack for passing. Not quite sure why running hard all the time was such a challenge--not knowing where to be? Sore knees? Plain old bad habit? Again, he didn't seem to have the best coaching coming up, I wish Stevens had had a stronger coaching bench last season (and every season before that, actually.
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#140 » by CeltsfaninDC » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:52 pm

JR Hawks wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Youth movement with Rozier as tank commander.

I'm down for the tank and Rozier would be the perfect loser to lead it, but that guy doesn't deserve to wear a Celtics jersey again after the crap he pulled this year.

pretty much this exact team went to the Conf Finals a year ago, but now they are suddenly a lottery team?

Return to Boston Celtics