Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#1021 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:39 am

Stein said the Lakers want Kemba. Which makes sense, since they don’t have a guard on their roster currently. The wind could blow the wrong way and some people would take that to mean Butler is leaving.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,431

Post#1022 » by FlyingArrow » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:49 am

Tobias is 26 and can sign a 5-year max with us. This is his biggest contract - prime of his career. It won't be his last contract, but the next one will be when he's in his early 30s. He's just not on the level of Jimmy (or the players above Jimmy). He is unlikely to get a max contract in his early 30s. We can offer him a higher salary with the raises, but the 5th year is actually really big for him since he won't be getting nearly that much if that season is on his next contract.

Jimmy's in the same boat. He's good enough for a max in his early 30s (while Tobias probably won't be) but he won't be anywhere near max-worthy 4 or 5 years from now.

If we have owners who are willing to spend like they indicated then money should be a very big motivation here. It's not just a couple million more per season due to the raises... it's tens of millions of dollars difference because for both of these players that 5th season will probably about $10million more than they'd get on the open market at that age. Plus, if they get injured - always possible - it's money they'd never see. Going elsewhere would cost each of them at least $15M and maybe $40+M (if they end up getting injured since they're giving up guaranteed money).

It's way more money. They've already been within one shot of beating the champions in a 7 game series... and that's before really gelling as a team. And now with a chance to really fill in some gaps in the roster this offseason. The situation is great. The money is great. I fully expect them both to sign.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#1023 » by 51X3RF4N » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:22 am

I think Brand made bold moves, just like Toronto and came damn close to having built a Championship team.

Yes, he gave up Covington, who was on a team friendly deal and fit well with our 2 franchise players. But Covington was also not the smartest player, turned the ball over, tried to do too much on offense, and was not a closer.

Yes, he gave up Dario, who was a good fit with our 2 franchise players. But Dario was going to need to get paid, and also was not on the same level as Tobias in terms of scoring ability. He wasn't going to be worth the starters money we'd have to pay him.

Yes, he gave up 2 picks and Shamet, who was fitting in well and learning from JJ. But the Sixers biggest need at the time was a starting PF and depth at PF/C. Muscala and Chandler were clearly not taking the Sixers to the next level. Mike Scott and Boban were much better fits. And having the chance to resign Tobias to a 5 year deal, at his and his fit with our 2 franchise players made a lot of sense at the time.

The Miami pick who knows what that will be? The Sixers pick is hopefully one of the last picks in the 1st in 2020, and Fultz was able to get us a better pick back.

You have to be bold and take risks to win championships. The Sixers have consistently been bold. If they miss out on signing both Butler and Harris, they will still have 5 picks in this draft, along with enough money to bring back the rest of the squad from last year on 2 to 3 year deals for lesser money, and then still go out and make offers to guys like Middleton, Brogdon, Kemba, etc to build a team that can still win the East and go to the Finals for the next 4 or 5 years.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#1024 » by kriss73 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:19 pm

If I'm the ownership, I'd offer the max contract to both Jimmy and Tobi and I would try to stay under the Luxory this year.
Next year I'd max out Simmons and I'll go over the tax line in 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 (probably in the range of 70M in two years).

In this way, I'd have a 3-years window to try to win it all with this core.

After that, somewhen between summer 2022 and February 2023, if I dont' want to pay a monumental tax bill (offender repeater kicks in), I'd try to "unload" one of the 4 star players:

-Joel will be 28 yrs old on the last year of his contract (33M)
- Butler will be 33 yrs old with 2 years remaining at 42M $/y
- Harris will be 30 yrs old with 2 years remaining at 42M $/y
- Simmons will be 26 yrs old with 3 years remaining at 35M 3/y

Probably only one of these contracts will be a negative one to trade and I'd have the ammo (future picks) to unload it if needed.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#1025 » by Aussiepiston1 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:22 pm

Obviously I’m not a GM but if Joel Embiid is only gonna play 60 games from now you need depth so I think maxing out both Tobi and Jimmy is silly!
Max one and go grab above average role players like Ariza, Matthews, Morris, W Chandler, Aminu, KCP, Beverley , shumpert , Carroll , Dedmon, Noel, looney and draft young guys to groom under them while you still have our big 3 and Ben improving his shot
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#1026 » by Negrodamus » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Read on Twitter

So no Jimmy to the Lakers.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,113

Post#1027 » by eyeatoma » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:36 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

So no Jimmy to the Lakers.
Lmao

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,467

Post#1028 » by youngcrev » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:50 pm

Thoughts on Derrick Rose? He feels like this year's Tyreke Evans. Outlier year from 3, putting up good numbers on mediocre team.

We could use a decent playmaking guard off the bench though. Wonder how much he gets this summer. Bi-annual? I'd lean toward him not being a good enough shooter to be a major help here, but it depends on his price point.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#1029 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:00 pm

youngcrev wrote:Thoughts on Derrick Rose? He feels like this year's Tyreke Evans. Outlier year from 3, putting up good numbers on mediocre team.

We could use a decent playmaking guard off the bench though. Wonder how much he gets this summer. Bi-annual? I'd lean toward him not being a good enough shooter to be a major help here, but it depends on his price point.

I don't think he's someone a championship contending team can feel comfortable relying on, for a variety of reasons.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Post#1030 » by GutUNC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:46 pm

Aussiepiston1 wrote:Obviously I’m not a GM but if Joel Embiid is only gonna play 60 games from now you need depth so I think maxing out both Tobi and Jimmy is silly!
Max one and go grab above average role players like Ariza, Matthews, Morris, W Chandler, Aminu, KCP, Beverley , shumpert , Carroll , Dedmon, Noel, looney and draft young guys to groom under them while you still have our big 3 and Ben improving his shot

Focusing on building a roster around the 20-25 regular season games Embiid won't play instead of the playoff rotation with Embiid seems.....odd.
GDTBATH
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,504

Post#1031 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:04 am

GutUNC wrote:
Aussiepiston1 wrote:Obviously I’m not a GM but if Joel Embiid is only gonna play 60 games from now you need depth so I think maxing out both Tobi and Jimmy is silly!

Focusing on building a roster around the 20-25 regular season games Embiid won't play instead of the playoff rotation with Embiid seems.....odd.

Well....I mean....Dwayne Dedmon would be nice to have....
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,029

Post#1032 » by GutUNC » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:14 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
GutUNC wrote:

Well....I mean....Dwayne Dedmon would be nice to have....

In both scenarios - for sure.
GDTBATH
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#1033 » by kio80 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:22 am

cool93 wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:
sixers4real wrote:okay so what you this offseason as a GM?

I actually posted it on the last page lol.Just my opinion of course, not claiming to have all the answers.

But we all know Ben’s shooting deficiencies...Jimmy is a ball dominant guard, he’s not bad at it, but spot up shooter is not his strong suit. Ben is also ball dominant and obviously no where remotely close to a spot up shooter. Not saying it can’t work to a successful season, but come playoff time I’m not a terribly confident there will be any changes in our offense. Personally I’d pick 1 or the other as the ball dominant guy in the offense and I’m more willing to bet on Ben’s progression vs Jimmy’s regression over the next 5 years.

Simmons is the problem on offence, not Butler, not anyone else. Only Simmons. So it's either he actually puts in work to shoot better, or we need to get rid of him. Letting Butler go cause he isn't a perfect fit with Ben is stupid, cause nobody is perfect fit with a player who doesn't shoot the ball.

You are assuming ben won’t improve at all, how many 22 year olds are an all star, starting PG in a 50 win team and made at least 2 2nd round appearances in the past 2 seasons?
You are comparing a well seasoned vet who’s 30 YO to a 22 YO player? Have you heard of player development?
But if he still struggles to shoot next season, then maybe I will consider trading him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sixers2125
Junior
And1: 123

Post#1034 » by Sixers2125 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:47 am

Did Ben improve at all from season 1 to season 2?

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
kio80
Sixth Man

Post#1035 » by kio80 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:51 am

Sixers2125 wrote:Did Ben improve at all from season 1 to season 2?

Very slightly in most stats except assist and kinda regressed in outside shooting.
Did Tatum and Mitchell improve or make the all star team? Do we ever hear trade talk from their fan base?

BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#1036 » by BullyKing » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:52 am

Not demonstrably. But his efficiency and free throw rate were up. So perhaps not improvement in the way we want (shooting) but becoming more efficient at what he was already able to do.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
kio80
Sixth Man

Post#1037 » by kio80 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:55 am

The worst case scenario of Ben is a longer and faster Draymond Green. I don’t really see the downside of risking a few years to develop him.

Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,801

Post#1038 » by Mik317 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:08 am

Draymond kinda lost that series for GS.

not sure if thats a great comp fans want to hear right now lol
#NeverGonnaBeGood
kio80
Sixth Man

Post#1039 » by kio80 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:11 am

That’s the worst case scenario... and honestly Green is solid, I disagree that he lost the series for the dubs, it was mainly due to injuries and luck. It was just Toronto’s year.

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,467

Post#1040 » by youngcrev » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:59 am

BullyKing wrote:

Not demonstrably. But his efficiency and free throw rate were up. So perhaps not improvement in the way we want (shooting) but becoming more efficient at what he was already able to do.

His post game looked to be his biggest focus last year. He still wasn't efficient there, but far more than in his rookie year, and his possessions in the post went way up. I think they saw how Boston was able to take advantage of mismatches against them that way, and said if this kid isn't going to shoot, we at least have to make it so that you can't throw a guard on him.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers