Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Re: Summer 2019 Free Agency Thread 

Post#1041 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:37 pm

youngcrev wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
Sixers2125 wrote:Did Ben improve at all from season 1 to season 2?

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app

Not demonstrably. But his efficiency and free throw rate were up. So perhaps not improvement in the way we want (shooting) but becoming more efficient at what he was already able to do.

His post game looked to be his biggest focus last year. He still wasn't efficient there, but far more than in his rookie year, and his possessions in the post went way up. I think they saw how Boston was able to take advantage of mismatches against them that way, and said if this kid isn't going to shoot, we at least have to make it so that you can't throw a guard on him.

I thought he was a lot better year one to year two, the difference was year one the roster was catered to him versus year two they asked him to fill a bunch of different roles, some of which didn’t always maximize his talents, for the good of the team.

Like I’m sure if they did the surround him with shooters thing again this year he could have led the league in assists and gotten a bunch more points with spacing and handling the ball more, but then we would have run into that sort of stuff not working as well in the playoffs.

Him working on playing off ball, offensive rebounding, screening, posting up and still averaging about the same numbers wouldn’t have been possible without a real improvement in his game.
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#1042 » by kio80 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:06 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
Not demonstrably. But his efficiency and free throw rate were up. So perhaps not improvement in the way we want (shooting) but becoming more efficient at what he was already able to do.

His post game looked to be his biggest focus last year. He still wasn't efficient there, but far more than in his rookie year, and his possessions in the post went way up. I think they saw how Boston was able to take advantage of mismatches against them that way, and said if this kid isn't going to shoot, we at least have to make it so that you can't throw a guard on him.

I thought he was a lot better year one to year two, the difference was year one the roster was catered to him versus year two they asked him to fill a bunch of different roles, some of which didn’t always maximize his talents, for the good of the team.

Like I’m sure if they did the surround him with shooters thing again this year he could have led the league in assists and gotten a bunch more points with spacing and handling the ball more, but then we would have run into that sort of stuff not working as well in the playoffs.

Him working on playing off ball, offensive rebounding, screening, posting up and still averaging about the same numbers wouldn’t have been possible without a real improvement in his game.

I have never thought of that angle before, makes bunch of sense.
I guess the improvement is the all around game, more so then just focusing on one or 2 major weakness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#1043 » by Negrodamus » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:58 pm

Read on Twitter
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#1044 » by phillynative » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:32 pm

Can Rockets afford him though?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#1047 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:50 pm

The Bucks are apparently offering draft compensation to take on Ersan or Snell

Idk if they would trade with us, but if we could find some sort of 3 way where a team with cap space takes Simmons and we get Ersan back that would be awesome.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1048 » by Negrodamus » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:52 pm

Rondae Hollis Jefferson will be an unrestricted free agent. Not sure if that moves the needle for anyone here.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#1049 » by FlyingArrow » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:06 pm

Sixerscan wrote:The Bucks are apparently offering draft compensation to take on Ersan or Snell

Idk if they would trade with us, but if we could find some sort of 3 way where a team with cap space takes Simmons and we get Ersan back that would be awesome.

After Jimmy and Tobias our budget is about 19M above minimums - that has to pay for all the free agents (that number includes the exceptions and assuming we want to stay below the apron). Ersan at 7M (about 5.5 above minimum) would take about a quarter of that budget. Not sure he's worth that. Backup center, PG, and resigning JJ are more important and will take most of that budget.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#1050 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:22 pm

FlyingArrow wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:The Bucks are apparently offering draft compensation to take on Ersan or Snell

After Jimmy and Tobias our budget is about 19M above minimums - that had to pay for all the free agents (that number includes the exceptions and assuming we want to stay below the apron). Ersan at 7M (about 5.5 above minimum) would take about a quarter of that budget. Not sure he's worth that. Backup center, PG, and resigning JJ are more important and will take most of that budget.

It’s 6 (4.5) because you’re getting off Simmons’s guarantee.

You can get a cheaper center because you have Ersan, who can play center.

May depend on Redick’s market.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1051 » by Negrodamus » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#1052 » by the_process » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:13 pm

CHI gets J.Simmons and 1.2M cash
MIL gets 54
PHI gets Ilyasova and 30

Assuming that you’re okay with: A)working with only the taxpayer MLE, and B)helping the Bucks have room to bring back Lopez, Brogdon, and Middleton.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#1053 » by BullyKing » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:17 pm

the_process wrote:

CHI gets J.Simmons and 5M cash
MIL gets 54
PHI gets Ilyasova and 30

Assuming that you’re okay with: A)working with only the taxpayer MLE, and B)helping the Bucks have room to bring back Lopez, Brogdon, and Middleton.

Why wouldn't Chicago just take Ilyasova and the compensation themselves? It's costing them pretty much the same cap space since you'd have to guarantee Simmons salary to make it work from our perspective right?
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#1054 » by FlyingArrow » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:32 pm

the_process wrote:

CHI gets J.Simmons and 1.2M cash
MIL gets 54
PHI gets Ilyasova and 30

I think you can still take Ilyasova and stay under the apron. But it means some combination of:

* lose Mike Scott
* lose Boban
* lose JJ
* sign JJ but for way less than his 1 year value (presumably by giving him a 3/4/5 year deal that he wouldn't otherwise get)
* use only part of the full MLE/BAE.

If we were getting 30 along with Ilyasova, that's worth thinking about. Not sure. Really depends on who else we think we can get in free agency. Article like this one make me think it's going to be harder than we expect. It's not just the Lakers - go look at pretty much every team's off-season thread. Everyone wants to sign the same "cheap" free agents. Makes me think they're all going to be about $5M more expensive than expected.
the_process
RealGM

Post#1055 » by the_process » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:07 pm

BullyKing wrote:
the_process wrote:

MIL gets 54
PHI gets Ilyasova and 30

Why wouldn't Chicago just take Ilyasova and the compensation themselves? It's costing them pretty much the same cap space since you'd have to guarantee Simmons salary to make it work from our perspective right?

Chicago has the room to absorb Simmons’ incoming salary, so it doesn’t have to be guaranteed. It is also true that the Bulls have the room to absorb Ilyasova, and so could just cut out Philly.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#1056 » by BullyKing » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:10 pm

the_process wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
the_process wrote:
MIL gets 54
PHI gets Ilyasova and 30

Chicago has the room to absorb Simmons’ incoming salary, so it doesn’t have to be guaranteed. It is also true that the Bulls have the room to absorb Ilyasova, and so could just cut out Philly.

The issue with non-guaranteed salary is Simmons only counts as 1 million in outgoing salary for our purposes. So the trade would not be legal on our end unless his salary was picked up.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
the_process
RealGM

Post#1057 » by the_process » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:15 pm

BullyKing wrote:
the_process wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

The issue with non-guaranteed salary is Simmons only counts as 1 million in outgoing salary for our purposes. So the trade would not be legal on our end unless his salary was picked up.

Had that backwards for some reason. Anyway, you’re right that if CHI wants another pick they’d just take Ilyasova and 30 themselves.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#1058 » by BullyKing » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:19 pm

the_process wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
the_process wrote:

Had that backwards for some reason. Anyway, you’re right that if CHI wants another pick they’d just take Ilyasova and 30 themselves.

It happens. I've probably run the same scenarios 80 times in the capulator because I can't remember all the various permutations.
NYSixersFan wrote:
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#1059 » by smittybanton » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:30 pm

After talking with a few Nets fans I respect, they seem to want Julius Randle as a fallback option from Kevin Durant, more so than Tobias Harris. They feel Jarret Allen needs a bigger four next to him than Embiid does.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#1060 » by smittybanton » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:39 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

If kyrie goes to brooklyn, i'd like to see d'angelo russell go to the phoenix suns.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers