ImageImageImageImageImage

Update: Harrison Barnes signs 4 yr $85M deal [Amick] (update #134)

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Update: Harrison Barnes signs 4 yr $85M deal [Amick] (update #134)  

Post#1 » by City of Trees » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:26 pm

Per Woj. Big development

Read on Twitter
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,431

Re: Harrison Barnes opts out 

Post#2 » by codydaze » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:29 pm

Incredible news for us. Gives us that much more flexibility this summer!
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#3 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:46 pm

I would assume most of the flexibility revolves around re-signing him. If I were him, I would have taken the 25 mil.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Post#4 » by KF10 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:49 pm

Probably instead of 1/25, he’s looking for something like 3/60.

So, more gtd money for him albeit $5m less per year.

I wonder if the Kings should stick with Barnes or use this new flexibility for something else.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#5 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:13 pm

KF10 wrote:Probably instead of 1/25, he’s looking for something like 3/60.

I wonder if the Kings should stick with Barnes or use this new flexibility for something else.

He's smart in the sense that who are the other real options? The Kings have had a glaring hole at SF for too long and it's because there aren't really many other options at any given point outside of the draft and the Kings passing on possibilities like Justise Winslow, OG Anunoby, and a few others in the past puts them in a one option basket. They didn't put priority on that position earlier and now they are in a tough spot.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#6 » by City of Trees » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:14 pm

Read on Twitter
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#7 » by bleeds_purple » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:24 pm

Can we give him 5 years? I would be down to negotiate with him for less per year for a full 5 if we can. 5/85-90 would be great.
JohnWillow
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,699

Post#8 » by JohnWillow » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:24 pm

To be honest this to me means one thing, Vlade wants to get one max guy on this team, I still can't figure out who it can be.

Seriously this offseason just got a lot More interesing.

Regarding Barnes I like the guy, I think he can help our team and hope we can sign him to a deal between 15-18 per year, but I will not lose my sleep if he walks away for a bigger offer.
Celtics fan. :crazy:
We also face the Kings twice in the near future. I think it's time Yabu pays back some of that free money he's been given his entire career and bounces Fox for a nice 2 week ankle sprain.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,089

Post#9 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:53 pm

JohnWillow wrote:To be honest this to me means one thing, Vlade wants to get one max guy on this team, I still can't figure out who it can be.

Regarding Barnes I like the guy, I think he can help our team and hope we can sign him to a deal between 15-18 per year, but I will not lose my sleep if he walks away for a bigger offer.

Vlade opening money for Vuc.... isn’t that the biggest nightmare scenario??
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
JohnWillow
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,699

Post#10 » by JohnWillow » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:59 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
JohnWillow wrote:To be honest this to me means one thing, Vlade wants to get one max guy on this team, I still can't figure out who it can be.

Vlade opening money for Vuc.... isn’t that the biggest nightmare scenario??

Yeah Vuc is one of those guys I would not want Vlade to give max money, I would rather go after someone like Dedmon, Len, Lopez or even Deandre Jordan.
Celtics fan. :crazy:
We also face the Kings twice in the near future. I think it's time Yabu pays back some of that free money he's been given his entire career and bounces Fox for a nice 2 week ankle sprain.
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#11 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:03 pm

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I like what I saw from him in 28 games but I also think that a lot of that production can be had with some of the cheaper options on the market like Ross or House. But then there is also the proven stability he offers in the lineup on defense with being able to play in big and small lineups and switch everything. Is it worth $18mil a year?

Man everything really depends on what our front court will look like which is a mystery as well...
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#12 » by City of Trees » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:11 pm

3yrs /$54M. I'm speaking it into existence
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Re: Harrison Barnes declines $25.1m player option. 

Post#13 » by SmellingColors » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:23 pm

I think if we lose Barnes through this process it'll be a real loss. He's a solid two way player without an ego or demand for the ball which is underrated given since Hield and Bagley demand the ball so much and since Fox will need to get his. I'm hoping this was meant to renegotiate long term with us, but we'll see.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#14 » by BoogieTime » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:39 pm

Fortunately, if we want him back his reputation will keep his value down. Look at the General Board/Trade Board threads. That’s his reputation around the league, that Dallas was lucky to load him off to us.

He’s overestimating the demand for him based on reputation if this isn’t a move to re sign here long term. It would’ve been better to put in another solid year and improve his rep as a role player in terms of his market
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#15 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:40 pm

City of Trees wrote:3yrs /$54M. I'm speaking it into existence

Best case scenario!
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#16 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:42 pm

BoogieTime wrote:Fortunately, if we want him back his reputation will keep his value down. Look at the General Board/Trade Board threads. That’s his reputation around the league, that Dallas was lucky to load him off to us.

He’s overestimating the demand for him based on reputation if this isn’t a move to re sign here long term. It would’ve been better to put in another solid year and improve his rep as a role player in terms of his market

Hopefully, this is true of the front offices around the league as well and Vlade pulled the"we want you but you deserve to see whats out there move" and he comes back to use willing to negotiate.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Post#17 » by KF10 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:45 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:

He's smart in the sense that who are the other real options? The Kings have had a glaring hole at SF for too long and it's because there aren't really many other options at any given point outside of the draft and the Kings passing on possibilities like Justise Winslow, OG Anunoby, and a few others in the past puts them in a one option basket. They didn't put priority on that position earlier and now they are in a tough spot.

I like Barnes. He's a high-character guy that doesn't really whine about his role. He has good size and could shoot from distance. Can switch on defense. The problem is that he's remarkably average in almost every aspect of his game. I can squint my eyes and say above-average level player for his position. Which isn't all that bad at all. Not a player that moves the needle all that much, imo.

If I was the Kings, I do consider re-signing him in a team-friendly contract (a 3 year deal) worth $50-$55m tops. Anything more, let him leave. And focus on swinging for the fences and try to add a stud at the 3 or a player that is within the timeline with the Kings team.
Call Me Geoff
Junior
And1: 68

Post#18 » by Call Me Geoff » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:00 pm

Savvy move by the Kings. I think Barnes will find a soft market. He’s a solid starter but not much more than a 4th option on a good team. 4/60 looks about right for him. It’ll be interesting to see if Vlade goes hard after Middleton or Harris. 2 big upgrades over Barnes.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#19 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:04 pm

KF10 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

I like Barnes. He's a high-character guy that doesn't really whine about his role. He has good size and could shoot from distance. Can switch on defense. The problem is that he's remarkably average in almost every aspect of his game. I can squint my eyes and say above-average level player for his position. Which isn't all that bad at all. Not a player that moves the needle all that much, imo.

If I was the Kings, I do consider re-signing him in a team-friendly contract (a 3 year deal) worth $50-$55m tops. Anything more, let him leave. And focus on swinging for the fences and try to add a stud at the 3 or a player that is within the timeline with the Kings team.

A guy I forgot all about after the deadline...Kelly Oubre Jr.

Would the Suns let him go relatively easy (decent offer sheet) because they are stocked at the position (Warren, Jackson, Bridges)?

He is clearly not the player Barnes is but is younger and will come cheaper....
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#20 » by BoogieTime » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:05 pm

Personally, I have him as an above average SF without moving the needle too much. Last time I looked I saw guys like Warren/Ingles/Covington/Iguodala/Wilson Chandler (Denver) making early-mid teens, which is what I would like. Given the market for wings though, I’ll take mid teens.

20 is too much. What would Buddy make in that scenario? And what does that leave us to put around Fox/Buddy/Bagley/Barnes/BOgi etc in the coming years? And if your paying Barnes, who hasn’t shown needle moving impact that much, I’d rather pay two solid role players 10 mil than him 20

Return to Sacramento Kings