2019 SPURS DRAFT - PROSPECTS, WORKOUTS, COMBINES, GLOBAL CAMP, Updated List of Players We've Met, Page 1

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 31,947

Re: 2019 SPURS DRAFT - PROSPECTS, WORKOUTS, COMBINES, GLOBAL CAMP 

Post#21 » by G R E Y » Fri May 24, 2019 6:27 am

(Not sure what is happening with Milutinov; it's been four years since we drafted him and we can bring him over this season sans buyout; 7', 235lbs; 10.7PPG, 6.8RPG; not a 3 shooter). From one versatile big to another, Jontay Porter, who has confirmed he will remain in the draft this year, is a possibility for us (with which of the latter two picks remains to be seen. Some mocks have him selected in mid 30s, up from late second round):
Read on Twitter

Spurs worked him out and interviewed him last year, but fate intervened and we lucked out with Lonnie instead. But if Jontay was on our radar last year and we’re looking at versatile bigs with a huge upside, few fit better. A smart defender, great court vision and passing ability, can hit the 3 well, too. The only reason he may fall to us is because of his injury, but I feel better about drafting him with it than, say, Bol with his.

While he may be viewed as a cautionary tale about staying in the draft because he got injured when he went back to college last season, you have to give him credit for returning last season because he felt his game needed seasoning and things were moving too quickly for his liking. It's still an unfolding story and he has a chance to add a positive outcome. There is no doubt that his injury is affecting his stock, but there is no way that a player with his talent would otherwise be available for us again.

One of Jontay's goals was getting into better shape and he did just that:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#22 » by G R E Y » Sun May 26, 2019 4:43 pm

Hmm interesting. Assuming it's true, they're both SGs, and given Porter's off court issues, I'm surprised to see both working out for us, but we do our homework so I trust the choices and their reasoning. Matthews may not be on as many radars, so good for him for having a strong showing:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

EDIT to add:
Read on Twitter

If we do end up drafting a SG, there has to be a trade in place, right? There are only so many minutes for the players we already have in place, but then again, it's a nice problem to have.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
IRS
Senior
And1: 528

Post#23 » by IRS » Thu May 30, 2019 4:50 am

Redacted
Try to find better things to do with your life than trolling other people.
-Sammy
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#24 » by SK21209 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 4:32 pm

They should package the two first rounders to try and move up a few spots to snag Little.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#25 » by G R E Y » Wed Jun 5, 2019 5:49 pm

SK21209 wrote:They should package the two first rounders to try and move up a few spots to snag Little.

Little is by most accounts out of our range, so if he's someone we love and think it's worth that package, then by all means. He's a bit undersized, but his overall budding skill set and our development program is intriguing. I'd rather a first and a guard be packaged, but both teams have to fulfill a want.

This draft is such a toss up from around 8-20 or so. Not that a lottery player will fall 10 spots, but outside of the top 3, it is hard to solidify who the consensus is where. So depending on where Little lands, it may take a first and a player or maybe both firsts may not be enough. Also depends on how much the team that drafts Little wants him. If he's their #1 guy, regardless of where he falls ahead of us, it'll be that much harder to pry him.

I think there is some very good talent still available outside of the top 6-8, but a lot of getting the most out of more raw skill sets will also depend on which program and opportunity a given player lands in.

I like Little a lot. You're one of several people linking him to us as a good fit, and I agree. We'll see what PATFO et al can do. They always keep info close to the vest, so outside of the reportedly 20+ players we've interviewed and will workout post-Combine, who we really like is a mystery. Maybe we'll get the guy we really truly like and it won't even be Little...

Spurs were willing to move up to get Dejounte, but luckily he fell to us. We lucked out with Lonnie falling to us, too. Here's to third time's the charm with getting our top choices.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
SK21209
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by SK21209 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 4:25 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:
SK21209 wrote:They should package the two first rounders to try and move up a few spots to snag Little.

Little is by most accounts out of our range, so if he's someone we love and think it's worth that package, then by all means. He's a bit undersized, but his overall budding skill set and our development program is intriguing. I'd rather a first and a guard be packaged, but both teams have to fulfill a want.

This draft is such a toss up from around 8-20 or so. Not that a lottery player will fall 10 spots, but outside of the top 3, it is hard to solidify who the consensus is where. So depending on where Little lands, it may take a first and a player or maybe both firsts may not be enough. Also depends on how much the team that drafts Little wants him. If he's their #1 guy, regardless of where he falls ahead of us, it'll be that much harder to pry him.

I think there is some very good talent still available outside of the top 6-8, but a lot of getting the most out of more raw skill sets will also depend on which program and opportunity a given player lands in.

I like Little a lot. You're one of several people linking him to us as a good fit, and I agree. We'll see what PATFO et al can do. They always keep info close to the vest, so outside of the reportedly 20+ players we've interviewed and will workout post-Combine, who we really like is a mystery. Maybe we'll get the guy we really truly like and it won't even be Little...

Spurs were willing to move up to get Dejounte, but luckily he fell to us. We lucked out with Lonnie falling to us, too. Here's to third time's the charm with getting our top choices.

Do you think there's any chance that Derozan is moved during the draft/this offseason? It's painfully obvious that he's the piece that just doesn't fit here and will take away minutes from the guards that need to develop.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#27 » by SD2042 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:37 am

What are the Spurs fans take on Washington's SF/SF Matisse Thybulle? I think his 3&D skills set could do wonders with the Spurs.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#28 » by G R E Y » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:36 am

SK21209 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:

Do you think there's any chance that Derozan is moved during the draft/this offseason? It's painfully obvious that he's the piece that just doesn't fit here and will take away minutes from the guards that need to develop.

DeMar's an interesting case. Pop said in his end-of-season presser that we will definitely return with the same group intact. So barring a surprise godfather offer, I think he returns, but in a slightly altered role. The same team with Dejounte and Lonnie in the mix means guard minutes will have to be fought for. DeMar will likely see more minutes at the 3 by default as we're thin there, so hopefully that decreases the tendencies to get into his spots in ways that take time or stem the flow of our movement. On the whole he was less ISO than in previous years (he's grown as a facilitator), but both he and LMA will need to be more team-movement oriented and shoot more 3s which is a challenge, but one Pop said he expects both to embrace.

I respectfully disagree that DeMar doesn't fit here, but there's no denying he has an old style game. DeMar did have one of his most efficient seasons and set career highs in assists and rebounds, so in terms of facilitating he was an eye opener. We needed to fill a void in scoring and he did just that. That said, by year 10 or 12 or so, he and LMA are what they are in terms of the core of their games, and while we can tweak to stretch more out of them, we live with certain deficiencies, be it not shooting as many 3s or defense (or in DeMar's case, both, though to his credit, he had a career high in steals, too, I believe, and put in better effort as the season progressed. Still, it would have been great to see what kind of a player he could have been had he been properly developed on the defensive end).

The good thing about DeMar is he's amenable to whatever the team needs. In that sense, and in the locker room, he's a great fit. We'll see how additions will help alter how DeMar is used. But based on what has been said, I'd be surprised if DeMar isn't on the Spurs this upcoming season.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#29 » by G R E Y » Fri Jun 7, 2019 5:04 am

SD2042 wrote:What are the Spurs fans take on Washington's SF/SF Matisse Thybulle? I think his 3&D skills set could do wonders with the Spurs.

I think I like Matisse, and his game and personality have been brought up several times by posters here and some NBA reporters as a good, 'natural' fit. He seems so personable, but I'm not sure what to make of his going AWOL during the whole process leading up to the draft.

Like Rui, Matisse skipped the Combine, but Rui has / will be doing some workouts. Matisse reportedly will not. He has been linked to OKC at #21 but they are also said to be shopping that pick for cap relief, so there's a lot of cloak and misinformation about. I think a team higher than that has his eyes on him, and for all I know it could be the Spurs, but I've heard Boston as well.

Some posters in the draft thread aren't sold on his defense because he excelled in zone, but I think his defensive awareness and instincts carry over. Maybe a bit undersized for the 3, but he's versatile to cover the guards and SF defensively. Not worried about his not-that-great 3% (although it weirdly dropped 10% compared to his best 40.5% two seasons prior) because of how we develop shooters. Just not sure what to make of the radio silence.... I get it from a player's / agent's perspective in seeking to secure the best fit as this is one of those times that a player can try and control his fate, but as a fan, limited as our info is and devoid of their broader contexts, it is a little offputting. But if he lands with us, then job well done by all!

I'm liking a lot of guys in our range (and who knows who falls where, mocks are all over the place especially post lottery spots) - Matisse, Bruno, Samanic, Claxton, PJ, Cam Johnson, maybe Okpala. And a couple of guys likely out of our range barring trade or weird drop - Rui, Little in the first round; in the second, guys like Eric Paschall and Moses Brown.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#30 » by SD2042 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 5:38 am

GREY 1769 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:What are the Spurs fans take on Washington's SF/SF Matisse Thybulle? I think his 3&D skills set could do wonders with the Spurs.

I think I like Matisse, and his game and personality have been brought up several times by posters here and some NBA reporters as a good, 'natural' fit. He seems so personable, but I'm not sure what to make of his going AWOL during the whole process leading up to the draft.

Like Rui, Matisse skipped the Combine, but Rui has / will be doing some workouts. Matisse reportedly will not. He has been linked to OKC at #21 but they are also said to be shopping that pick for cap relief, so there's a lot of cloak and misinformation about. I think a team higher than that has his eyes on him, and for all I know it could be the Spurs, but I've heard Boston as well.

Some posters in the draft thread aren't sold on his defense because he excelled in zone, but I think his defensive awareness and instincts carry over. Maybe a bit undersized for the 3, but he's versatile to cover the guards and SF defensively. Not worried about his not-that-great 3% (although it weirdly dropped 10% compared to his best 40.5% two seasons prior) because of how we develop shooters. Just not sure what to make of the radio silence.... I get it from a player's / agent's perspective in seeking to secure the best fit as this is one of those times that a player can try and control his fate, but as a fan, limited as our info is and devoid of their broader contexts, it is a little offputting. But if he lands with us, then job well done by all!

I'm liking a lot of guys in our range (and who knows who falls where, mocks are all over the place especially post lottery spots) - Matisse, Bruno, Samanic, Claxton, PJ, Cam Johnson, maybe Okpala. And a couple of guys likely out of our range barring trade or weird drop - Rui, Little in the first round; in the second, guys like Eric Paschall and Moses Brown.

Thybulle I believe received the Defensive Player of the Year this season for his efforts in the PAC 10 Conference. This guy is incredible defensively. I can see a team like the Spurs, OKC, or Golden State getting after this guy. Some ppl tend to question defenders who play in zone defenses because it's hard to track how well of a defender a player tends to be versus said player in a man to man defense. I have questions with another player I'm watching in Tyus Battle of Syracuse. Syracuse like Washington plays zone defense all the time.

To Thybulle's height, being 6'6 should be good enough. Remember Bruce Bowen is 6'5 and was playing the SF position with the Spurs back in the day. As for why some of the players are not showcasing at the Combine, my guess is they could have been promised, keep from injuring themselves, or do not want to risk their stock dropping up or down the draft. If you're a second round player, I would suggest showcasing to go up the draft.

Here's another question. In the event that the Spurs don't get their player at #19, is it possible they could look to trade the pick and players to acquire a reliable player(s) in return?

SK21209
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by SK21209 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 3:57 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:
SK21209 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:Little is by most accounts out of our range, so if he's someone we love and think it's worth that package, then by all means. He's a bit undersized, but his overall budding skill set and our development program is intriguing. I'd rather a first and a guard be packaged, but both teams have to fulfill a want.

DeMar's an interesting case. Pop said in his end-of-season presser that we will definitely return with the same group intact. So barring a surprise godfather offer, I think he returns, but in a slightly altered role. The same team with Dejounte and Lonnie in the mix means guard minutes will have to be fought for. DeMar will likely see more minutes at the 3 by default as we're thin there, so hopefully that decreases the tendencies to get into his spots in ways that take time or stem the flow of our movement. On the whole he was less ISO than in previous years (he's grown as a facilitator), but both he and LMA will need to be more team-movement oriented and shoot more 3s which is a challenge, but one Pop said he expects both to embrace.

I respectfully disagree that DeMar doesn't fit here, but there's no denying he has an old style game. DeMar did have one of his most efficient seasons and set career highs in assists and rebounds, so in terms of facilitating he was an eye opener. We needed to fill a void in scoring and he did just that. That said, by year 10 or 12 or so, he and LMA are what they are in terms of the core of their games, and while we can tweak to stretch more out of them, we live with certain deficiencies, be it not shooting as many 3s or defense (or in DeMar's case, both, though to his credit, he had a career high in steals, too, I believe, and put in better effort as the season progressed. Still, it would have been great to see what kind of a player he could have been had he been properly developed on the defensive end).

The good thing about DeMar is he's amenable to whatever the team needs. In that sense, and in the locker room, he's a great fit. We'll see how additions will help alter how DeMar is used. But based on what has been said, I'd be surprised if DeMar isn't on the Spurs this upcoming season.

Great post! I meant more so that DeMar doesn't fit in the sense that we have three promising young guards with Murray, White, and Lonnie, not to mention Mills (who might end up being the odd man out) and Forbes. Demar can't really defend forwards and we desperately need an athletic SF who can. I'd like to see him start at the 3 but play more of his minutes with the second unit.

Don't mean to derail this thread with a discussion of Demar. I've seen a couple of mocks that have us taking Goga, which I personally would not be in favor of. Sekou or Little are my optimal picks, but I think Rui might end up being the guy.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#32 » by G R E Y » Sat Jun 8, 2019 4:12 am

Spoiler:
SD2042 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:

Thybulle I believe received the Defensive Player of the Year this season for his efforts in the PAC 10 Conference. This guy is incredible defensively. I can see a team like the Spurs, OKC, or Golden State getting after this guy. Some ppl tend to question defenders who play in zone defenses because it's hard to track how well of a defender a player tends to be versus said player in a man to man defense. I have questions with another player I'm watching in Tyus Battle of Syracuse. Syracuse like Washington plays zone defense all the time.

To Thybulle's height, being 6'6 should be good enough. Remember Bruce Bowen is 6'5 and was playing the SF position with the Spurs back in the day. As for why some of the players are not showcasing at the Combine, my guess is they could have been promised, keep from injuring themselves, or do not want to risk their stock dropping up or down the draft. If you're a second round player, I would suggest showcasing to go up the draft.

Here's another question. In the event that the Spurs don't get their player at #19, is it possible they could look to trade the pick and players to acquire a reliable player(s) in return?

Thanks for the videos, SD. It's hard not to be enticed by Matisse's skill set and how he uses it.

It's a good point about Bowen's height, but it's the 'back in the day' relative to today that I wonder about. Without having looked at averages in height for each position then to now, I can't really comment on it, but anyway, Matisse is highly switchable in multiple positions depending on match-ups.

As to your second question, well the Spurs were willing to move up for Dejounte, but it turns out we didn't need to. With a glut at the 2 and several teams reportedly looking to trade down (who knows how reliable that info is), I think if we fall in love with a certain player and he can be pried at the right price, we may have the assets to do it. I think right now anyone out side of Dejounte, Derrick, Lonnie and maybe one or two other players can be considered trade bait.

We need a legit starting 3 badly, and we need to shore up at the 4 and 5, and we have variables to play with. Of course, it also depends on what another team wants/ needs/ is willing to part with/ is more or less risk averse at any given time.

I'd like us to come out of the draft with two players BPA in positions of need, and it's hard to see good guys leave, but whatever that takes provided we retain the above mentioned players, so be it.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#33 » by G R E Y » Sat Jun 8, 2019 4:53 am

SK21209 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:
SK21209 wrote:

Great post! I meant more so that DeMar doesn't fit in the sense that we have three promising young guards with Murray, White, and Lonnie, not to mention Mills (who might end up being the odd man out) and Forbes. Demar can't really defend forwards and we desperately need an athletic SF who can. I'd like to see him start at the 3 but play more of his minutes with the second unit.

Don't mean to derail this thread with a discussion of Demar. I've seen a couple of mocks that have us taking Goga, which I personally would not be in favor of. Sekou or Little are my optimal picks, but I think Rui might end up being the guy.

Thank you, appreciate it! Fair point about DeMar and fit.

DeMar and much maligned Patty were stretched out of their roles this year (and Patty for the last two) so having a set guard starting and backup duos as well as alternate options for both is sort of a nice problem to have. It'll be about managing roles and personalities (Bryn was a starter all of this past season, will surely be coming off the bench, and have hardly any PG duties, and I wonder how DeMar with a second unit now and again would fare, sort of like Rudy as a key bench contributor).

It's ok about mentioning DeMar and trades, particularly as it relates to the draft. It's a legit question as he is an asset that could get more than other players especially if we do not plan to retain him long-term (and I assume he was acquired as a scoring stop-gap / great locker-room character fit for the time being while our young guards develop).

Funny you brought him up as trade potential, though, as this popped up earlier today:

It's a report about a report, the original having the biggest of hedge bets - "... DeMar DeRozan possibly could be on the trade block...". And a potential trade with the Lakers at that. Hard to fathom, but the idea in principle of off-loading DeMar's contract because we're not long-term partners so as to make room for someone like Bojan Bogdanovic is interesting. You keep hearing that he's such a Spursy type of player, and a 3 who shoots 3s at that, so it is interesting to ponder this as a possibility...

You can be sure, however, that this is not coming from the Spurs:
Read on Twitter

If we somehow ended up with Little AND Rui, I would cry big tears of joy. Even with one of them! And then get a 3, 4 or 5 depending on whichever one of Little or Rui we got.

With Atlanta now having 6 picks in this draft, 3 in each round, for instance, and several teams reportedly willing to trade down, I'm all for improving the team in terms of balancing the roster, having players to develop, and remaining competitive (all our deals have the now and the future in mind). As mentioned in a previous post, outside of Dejounte, Derrick, and Lonnie, whoever needs to be traded to achieve a higher, better balanced floor with a higher ceiling long-term so be it.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#34 » by SD2042 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:54 am

With Rui, I know his capabilities could be useful with the Spurs. Unless the Spurs can trade up the draft and get within range, I can help to think he may not make it past the first 12 picks. Little is a prospect I like as well for his defense, athleticism, and transition effectiveness. As a Spur, he could develop his game more around his weaknesses like his offensive production. Little could prove a solid force if he's pick by the right team and developed well.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#35 » by G R E Y » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:07 am

Adding to the list of players we have watched, interviewed, and / or worked out.

RC watched THT and Bazley work out:
Read on Twitter

We're working out Matt Mooney:
Read on Twitter

And Tremont Waters:
Read on Twitter

Plus a Dylan Windler work out:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#36 » by G R E Y » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:28 am

Sekou Doumbouya - RC watched him at a pro day workout. Not sure what GMs get out of these that they wouldn't in scouting games, but this seems an added means for agents to showcase their players in these controlled environments.

Nassir Little - Spurs interviewed him at the Combine

PJ Washington - Spurs interviewed him at the Combine

Goga Bitadze - His first workout was with the Spurs
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#37 » by G R E Y » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:40 am

ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#38 » by G R E Y » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:53 am

Bruno Fernando - Worked out for us
Read on Twitter

Marques Bolden - Worked out for us
Read on Twitter

Grant Williams - A workout was planned but unsure if it ever took place

Chris Silva - Worked out for us
Read on Twitter

Tyler Herro - Worked out for us

Eric Paschall - Spurs interviewed him at the Combine
- Worked our for the Spurs
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: 2019 SPURS DRAFT - PROSPECTS, WORKOUTS, COMBINES, GLOBAL CAMP, Updated List of Players We've Met, Page 1 

Post#39 » by G R E Y » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:06 am

Hmm interesting. RC watched Sekou at his Pro Day and we also worked him out:
Read on Twitter

Isaiah Roby worked out for us before the combine:
According to the Journal Star, the San Antonio Spurs recently look at Nebraska forward Isaiah Roby.

He's already worked out for three teams — the San Antonio Spurs, Minnesota Timberwolves and Milwaukee Bucks — and has a fourth workout this weekend with the Chicago Bulls. Then it's on to next week's NBA Draft Combine, and more workouts with individual teams after that.

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-take-a-look-at-nebraska-forward-isaiah-roby

And it looks as if we may have had him in for a second workout:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: 2019 SPURS DRAFT - PROSPECTS, WORKOUTS, COMBINES, GLOBAL CAMP, Updated List of Players We've Met, Page 1 

Post#40 » by G R E Y » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:10 pm

As we wait for Christmas in June, Draft Edition, some details about prospects we've been looking at:
Read on Twitter

I like him. A lot. Keeping fingers crossed...

EDIT to add:
Read on Twitter

Wait. What? Hmm...
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs