ImageImageImage

Tatum and Brown, as 1-2 Options

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#161 » by big-shot-ROB » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:40 am

Brown is going to shut up most of your mouths next season. Let's **** go!

Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#162 » by ermocrate » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:03 am

big-shot-ROB wrote:Brown is going to shut up most of your mouths next season. Let's **** go!

The question is, can he shut HIS mouth and develop his game?
"Negativity in this town sucks"
Celtics_85
Starter
And1: 59

Post#163 » by Celtics_85 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:17 pm

Maybe he could find some handles also, poor at protecting the ball when handling the rock.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,756

Post#164 » by GrandTheftRondo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:58 am

They just aren’t likely to be good enough to make a title contender.

I was pretty high on Brown up until last season. Athletic, could shoot, defend and still young. But he came back the exact same player showing the same glaring flaws. He can’t handle the ball all that well and he isn’t a playmaker by any stretch of the imagination. That’s not to say he can’t be a good player, it just says he’s probably not going to be a lead guy.

Unfortunately I think the same can now be said about Tatum but he is a bit younger so perhaps a bit more time needs to be afforded. But like Brown his playmaking ability leaves a lot to be desired. Unlike Brown he isn’t as athletic and I saw throughout last season clear evidence that his lesser athleticism is an issue. He has trouble blowing by defenders unless he has a clear mismatch. This doesn’t bode well at all if you want this guy to be a lead scorer.

Both will be in the league for a while but I have a hard time believing they’ll ever win anything without a genuine top 5 player joining the team. Very unlikely either of them even become top 10 players.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#165 » by Roddy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:57 am

I dont care if they are All Stars or not. This All Star thing is Bu**sh**. Just like the Pro Bowl on NFL

I want them to play hard and find some chemistry just like in the playoffs 2018.
Tatum body language was terrible this season. I hope they will find motivation now that Kyrie is gone and prove people that they can play at high level all season.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,852

Post#166 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:03 am

WARNING: This will be my dumbest get-hyped cherry-picked stat post about Jayson Tatum.

These are the top 10 Celtics players in Win Shares (first two seasons):

First nine players on the list had their jersey retired by the Celtics. Reserve a spot on the rafters for number 0, Jayson Tatum now. He wasn't even a 1st or 2nd option on the team in his rookie and sophomore years.

EDIT:

Last 10 seasons, most win shares in their 1st two seasons:

GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#167 » by GuyClinch » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:23 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:They just aren’t likely to be good enough to make a title contender.

I was pretty high on Brown up until last season. Athletic, could shoot, defend and still young. But he came back the exact same player showing the same glaring flaws. He can’t handle the ball all that well and he isn’t a playmaker by any stretch of the imagination. That’s not to say he can’t be a good player, it just says he’s probably not going to be a lead guy.

Unfortunately I think the same can now be said about Tatum but he is a bit younger so perhaps a bit more time needs to be afforded. But like Brown his playmaking ability leaves a lot to be desired. Unlike Brown he isn’t as athletic and I saw throughout last season clear evidence that his lesser athleticism is an issue. He has trouble blowing by defenders unless he has a clear mismatch. This doesn’t bode well at all if you want this guy to be a lead scorer.

Both will be in the league for a while but I have a hard time believing they’ll ever win anything without a genuine top 5 player joining the team. Very unlikely either of them even become top 10 players.

Agree for the most part. Brown has upside though - with the right energy level he could be better Gerald Wallace - that is not half bad at all. Tatum - he has good length so many mistake him as being pretty athletic. But ever time there is a 50/50 ball the guy can't get it. Not explosive at changing directions - combine that with his mediocre passing and lack of strength and you do not have the recipe for a superstar. But no reason he can't play more like a Reggie Miller/Ray Allen type (though admittedly those guys both had better court vision).

So there is some potential there - but C's are going to need alot more to win a championship. Watching Brad though - I suspect the C's will win the same or more next year. He is certainly one of those coaches who cannot win over the big egos.. Smart guy - but I think the players treat him like the smart little boy he looks like.. Rather then giving him respect like a Popovich - who honestly I don't really like..

But put him with some young guys - guys who want to prove themselves and I expect a rebound to some extent. Rozier - if he stays around will be way up and Brown will get a ton more playing time and that should help him alot.. The flip side is if Ainge feels like tanking - Brad won't be down with it..
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#168 » by brackdan70 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:25 am

big-shot-ROB wrote:Brown is going to shut up most of your mouths next season. Let's **** go!

I think he is going to break out big as well.
Sign here
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,789

Post#169 » by 31to6 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:32 am

Training wheels are gone, now we get to see what we’ve got in these guys! Kind of looking forward to that, honestly.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#170 » by GregB » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:45 am

ermocrate wrote:

Why does he need to shut his mouth? He isn’t some robot who’s sole purpose is to play basketball.

The dude has shown the work he puts in every offseason since his rookie year.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,124

Post#171 » by djsunyc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:31 am

just curious but would you trade them for ben simmons?
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#172 » by ermocrate » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:12 am

GregB wrote:
ermocrate wrote:

Why does he need to shut his mouth? He isn’t some robot who’s sole purpose is to play basketball.

The dude has shown the work he puts in every offseason since his rookie year.

The dude has shown tapes of his work as a publicity, this doesn’t make him an harder worker than anyone else, just a better marketer, evidently he is not working hard enough to earn 20 millions yet, maybe he should focus more... Stupid interviews also did not help...

But I know what’s the F problem his with you all, I value the guy way more than any single poster on this board and I don’t make soft ass excuses for him, he needs to shut the hell up and talk on the friggin’ court, like MJ, Bird and all the greats before him did... To me he could have reached peaks of absolute greatness, now I’m dubious... Words without facts didn’t not show knowledge, only entitlement and if you are a kid that’s an huge red flag, that what Irving was criticized for(and he was way more accomplished than Jaylen) and that’s what I didn’t like coming from Jaylen. He his young and he can still correct this.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,018

Post#173 » by London2Boston » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:23 am

djsunyc wrote:just curious but would you trade them for ben simmons?

Wouldn’t even trade Tatum for him. Never mind both.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#174 » by soxfan2003 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:32 am

Based upon what I have seen I would trade Jaylen Brown straight up for Simmons but I doubt Philly would do that right now.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,112

Post#175 » by Darthlukey » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:53 am

soxfan2003 wrote:

Based upon what I have seen I would trade Jaylen Brown straight up for Simmons but I doubt Philly would do that right now.

Would love me some Ben Simmons action, but straight up for Tatum is more likely
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#176 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:18 am

brackdan70 wrote:

I think he is going to break out big as well.

I expect him to have a great year, particularly scoring and in rebounding for his position, as well. (I could see last season's AS predictions coming through a year late, with KI, JT, GH and JB all making the team.)

But he's never going to have that top-tier, alpha NBA player skill set or ability to make his teammates better. Just too lacking in ballhandling, passing, vision and raw BBIQ.
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#177 » by BillTheGOAT » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:21 am

no
Shamrock
Head Coach
And1: 5,011

Post#178 » by Shamrock » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:28 pm

Relax guys, JT will be 21 for the majority of the next season and JB will be 23. It's gonna be funny if the script is flipped and JT is putting up 22/8/3 on good %'s and JB is putting up 18+/8/2 on solid %'s. Then everyone will be back to claiming we are the up and coming team in the East. These guys played on a team last year with SIX mouths to feed between Al, Kyrie, JT, JB, Gordo, Morris (Not including Smart and Rozier). We had seven players who had usage rates of 18.5% or more. Lets see what these guys can do
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,220

Post#179 » by reload141 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:34 pm

Is it safe to return here yet?
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#180 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:39 pm

reload141 wrote:Is it safe to return here yet?

Return to Boston Celtics