ImageImageImageImageImage

Update: Harrison Barnes signs 4 yr $85M deal [Amick] (update #134)

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Re: Harrison Barnes opts out 

Post#21 » by SmellingColors » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:07 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
KF10 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
He's smart in the sense that who are the other real options? The Kings have had a glaring hole at SF for too long and it's because there aren't really many other options at any given point outside of the draft and the Kings passing on possibilities like Justise Winslow, OG Anunoby, and a few others in the past puts them in a one option basket. They didn't put priority on that position earlier and now they are in a tough spot.

I like Barnes. He's a high-character guy that doesn't really whine about his role. He has good size and could shoot from distance. Can switch on defense. The problem is that he's remarkably average in almost every aspect of his game. I can squint my eyes and say above-average level player for his position. Which isn't all that bad at all. Not a player that moves the needle all that much, imo.

If I was the Kings, I do consider re-signing him in a team-friendly contract (a 3 year deal) worth $50-$55m tops. Anything more, let him leave. And focus on swinging for the fences and try to add a stud at the 3 or a player that is within the timeline with the Kings team.

A guy I forgot all about after the deadline...Kelly Oubre Jr.

Would the Suns let him go relatively easy (decent offer sheet) because they are stocked at the position (Warren, Jackson, Bridges)?

He is clearly not the player Barnes is but is younger and will come cheaper....

This is actually a really decent idea I think. I'm a fan of Oubre. Dude has fire (in my eyes something akin to what Shump has) and fits with the years of our core.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,445

Post#22 » by KF10 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:21 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:

Would the Suns let him go relatively easy (decent offer sheet) because they are stocked at the position (Warren, Jackson, Bridges)?

I like Kelly's improvement with the Suns this year. Although, his 3PT shooting #s deceased, he has a lot of potential and has room to grow. Whereas Barnes is almost topped out when it comes to his ceiling.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Kelly+Oubre+Jr.&player_id1_select=Kelly+Oubre+Jr.&player_id1=oubreke01&y1=2019&player_id2_hint=Harrison+Barnes&player_id2_select=Harrison+Barnes&y2=2019&player_id2=barneha02&idx=players

If the Kings throw a $15-$20m/yr deal at Oubre, the Suns will have a tough time matching that, imo. I would be more incline in throwing that much of $$$ at him than Barnes tbh.
jazanetti
Junior
And1: 45

Re: Harrison Barnes declines $25.1m player option. 

Post#23 » by jazanetti » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:35 pm

Good news. I'd prefer to offer 4/80 Oubre rather than 3/60 for Barnes.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,504

Post#24 » by codydaze » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:46 pm

Oof, I'm not a big fan of Oubre. Would honestly rather have Barnes than Oubre. Wouldn't mind going hard after a Middleton/Butler/Kawhi though, just the chances of any of those guys signing with us are probably below 10%.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#25 » by blind prophet » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:57 pm

Uh oh.

I was hoping he'd stick around for certain.

I mean it would be nice for less on a multi year deal, but I always expect the worst.
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,076

Post#26 » by RaisingArizona » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:32 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
KF10 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
He's smart in the sense that who are the other real options? The Kings have had a glaring hole at SF for too long and it's because there aren't really many other options at any given point outside of the draft and the Kings passing on possibilities like Justise Winslow, OG Anunoby, and a few others in the past puts them in a one option basket. They didn't put priority on that position earlier and now they are in a tough spot.

I like Barnes. He's a high-character guy that doesn't really whine about his role. He has good size and could shoot from distance. Can switch on defense. The problem is that he's remarkably average in almost every aspect of his game. I can squint my eyes and say above-average level player for his position. Which isn't all that bad at all. Not a player that moves the needle all that much, imo.

If I was the Kings, I do consider re-signing him in a team-friendly contract (a 3 year deal) worth $50-$55m tops. Anything more, let him leave. And focus on swinging for the fences and try to add a stud at the 3 or a player that is within the timeline with the Kings team.

From what I gather, Suns will match anything that isn't an absurd offer. But we have a bad FO so anything is possible :lol:
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,076

Post#27 » by RaisingArizona » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:34 pm

KF10 wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

I like Kelly's improvement with the Suns this year. Although, his 3PT shooting #s deceased, he has a lot of potential and has room to grow. Whereas Barnes is almost topped out when it comes to his ceiling.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Kelly+Oubre+Jr.&player_id1_select=Kelly+Oubre+Jr.&player_id1=oubreke01&y1=2019&player_id2_hint=Harrison+Barnes&player_id2_select=Harrison+Barnes&y2=2019&player_id2=barneha02&idx=players

If the Kings throw a $15-$20m/yr deal at Oubre, the Suns will have a tough time matching that, imo. I would be more incline in throwing that much of $$$ at him than Barnes tbh.

Anything over 15 million a year would be a tough match. I agree there. I hope that's not what you guys are planning... :cry:
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#28 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:37 pm

RaisingArizona wrote:
KF10 wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

Anything over 15 million a year would be a tough match. I agree there. I hope that's not what you guys are planning... :cry:

It was widely reported Vlade wanted him at the deadline and I assume that it wasn't just for the season rental so the offer sheet isn't out of the realm. But like you said who knows.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,769

Post#29 » by BoogieTime » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:56 pm

codydaze wrote:Oof, I'm not a big fan of Oubre. Would honestly rather have Barnes than Oubre. Wouldn't mind going hard after a Middleton/Butler/Kawhi though, just the chances of any of those guys signing with us are probably below 10%.

I’m not a fan of Oubre either. And Barnes opting out at least leaves us the opportunity of throwing heavy money at those players. If your going to spend late teen onwards on Barnes, much better to throw a ton of money at true high impact players to see if they bite first
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#30 » by donkeylips » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:39 am

I like oubre but I’d rather the kings resign Barnes. 3/60 seems like a win for both sides.
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#31 » by City of Trees » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:22 am

I see this unfolding two ways...

1. Barnes opted out after long negotiations with Sacramento and plans on resigning

Or

2. Barnes opted out after long negotiations with Sacramento and plans on testing the market, 100% ready to walk if a better deal comes along.

So I know what you're thinking "thank you Captain Obvious"... And you're right. This post is more of a rant.

As I sit here wondering if I should allow my brain to shift gears looking at potential Barnes replacements it's really bugging me that Barnes and the Kings already know how this ends and we don't.

SPARE ME THIS TUESDAY NIGHT VLADE.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#32 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:34 am

City of Trees wrote:I see this unfolding two ways...

1. Barnes opted out after long negotiations with Sacramento and plans on resigning

Or

2. Barnes opted out after long negotiations with Sacramento and plans on testing the market, 100% ready to walk if a better deal comes along.

So I know what you're thinking "thank you Captain Obvious"... And you're right. This post is more of a rant.

As I sit here wondering if I should allow my brain to shift gears looking at potential Barnes replacements it's really bugging me that Barnes and the Kings already know how this ends and we don't.

Hopefully it's 1 on a discount so they can max someone else.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,769

Post#33 » by BoogieTime » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:23 am

Goes back to impact. He’s a solid player, but for whatever reason, we were a better team arguably with Shumpert

Pondering that, thinking how many ways 20 mil can be split up than offering something like that to him instead of 2-3 servicable vets
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#34 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:27 am

City of Trees wrote:I see this unfolding two ways...

Or

This was today btw. Those smiles say we have something brewing.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#35 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:31 am

BoogieTime wrote:Goes back to impact. He’s a solid player, but for whatever reason, we were a better team arguably with Shumpert

Pondering that, thinking how many ways 20 mil can be split up than offering something like that to him instead of 2-3 servicable vets

We played better that season with Shump but Shump isn't a better layer that Barnes. But I agree that I go back and forth wanting to save some of that cap, split it up over some cheaper guys or blowing it all this year. I keep looking ahead as well to the deals we'll have to sign in the future for Buddy, Fox and Bogi and Bags
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#36 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:41 am

RaisingArizona wrote:
KF10 wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

Well, looks like you don't have to worry since the reports are you are trying to trade Warren and JJ on draft night.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#37 » by enderwilson » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:57 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Goes back to impact. He’s a solid player, but for whatever reason, we were a better team arguably with Shumpert

We played better that season with Shump but Shump isn't a better layer that Barnes. But I agree that I go back and forth wanting to save some of that cap, split it up over some cheaper guys or blowing it all this year. I keep looking ahead as well to the deals we'll have to sign in the future for Buddy, Fox and Bogi and Bags

Which brings the argument, do we want better players, or do we want a better team? The argument that better players makes a better team holds up most of the time, but not always. And in the case of the 2004 Lakers, it can fall apart against a team with chemistry. I would agree with the argument that we're a better team with Barnes than with Shumpert, it's just that Barnes hasn't been with the team long enough to mesh as well as Shump did. That and Joerger's coaching regressed in the last quarter of the season.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,504

Post#38 » by codydaze » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:22 pm

enderwilson wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

Which brings the argument, do we want better players, or do we want a better team? The argument that better players makes a better team holds up most of the time, but not always. And in the case of the 2004 Lakers, it can fall apart against a team with chemistry. I would agree with the argument that we're a better team with Barnes than with Shumpert, it's just that Barnes hasn't been with the team long enough to mesh as well as Shump did. That and Joerger's coaching regressed in the last quarter of the season.

At this point, Barnes has been though. We traded for Shump the year before we traded for Barnes and Shump didn't even get any on court time since he was rehabbing. At the beginning of this season, Barnes will have been with the squad just as long as Shump was to begin last season.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#39 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:05 am

codydaze wrote:
enderwilson wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:

At this point, Barnes has been though. We traded for Shump the year before we traded for Barnes and Shump didn't even get any on court time since he was rehabbing. At the beginning of this season, Barnes will have been with the squad just as long as Shump was to begin last season.

Great!

So we should be good again?!?!
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Kings2016
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#40 » by Kings2016 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:31 pm

Why In the heck would the Kings want Brooke Lopez that’s doesn’t change or improve you significantly. Jordan is to old now with this young roster.. Vucevic, Harris and Middleton are improvements that could get you to the playoffs for sure maybe further depending on how good Bagley is.... btw everyone thinks Harris is a power forward he is more of a small forward in a power forwards body.. he can play the SF with Bagley at the PF .. they have enough cap space if they leave the Harrison Barnes thing alone to get both Vucevic at around 4 years 164 million and also Harris 4 years 164 max contracts that would improve your team and make you a contender in the west( PG Fox, SG Heild, SF Harris, PF Bagley C Vucevic) .. its not time to sit and wait until next year .. they have a great opportunity now and they need to do whatever they can to get it done .. Cauley Stein you let go or offer the qualifying offer just to make sure you can get something in return for him in a sign and trade.

Return to Sacramento Kings