Read on Twitter
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Re: Chris Paul to the Rockets 

Post#482 » by Clemenza » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:55 am

mkwest wrote:
Read on Twitter

Low key State Farm probably told Chris to chill as well being that this info could ruin their commercial/marking run that they've been having with Chris, Harden, and the team. Once they roll out some new ads without Harden or maybe even without CP as well then the trade leaks and displeasure will come out again. We all know CP3 couldn't accept the fact that they lost to the Warriors with Durant out and heads had to roll. That sh*t ate him alive.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#483 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:26 pm

How do you give away 38 million dollars in salary free in today’s NBA?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Official Trade Demand or Not, CP3 Wants Out 

Post#484 » by Ranma » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:31 pm

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#485 » by Galloisdaman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:46 pm

Paul will probably be traded for another bad contract like Hayward or Wiggens but if the Rockets offerred Paul plus something like 3 first round picks to the Clippers (very unlikely) sa a salary dump would you guys want him?
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#486 » by playaloc916 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:18 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:Paul will probably be traded for another bad contract like Hayward or Wiggens but if the Rockets offerred Paul plus something like 3 first round picks to the Clippers (very unlikely) sa a salary dump would you guys want him?

Intriguing, but I'd pass... Our front office was able to efficiently move on from the Lob City era, this would just seem like a step backwards. Having CP3 back would not only take minutes away from SGA, but given that he's a bit of a locker room issue, plus him being on the tail-end of his career and the inevitable injuries, I don't think it makes much sense from a long-term perspective.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#487 » by Clemenza » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:23 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:Paul will probably be traded for another bad contract like Hayward or Wiggens but if the Rockets offerred Paul plus something like 3 first round picks to the Clippers (very unlikely) sa a salary dump would you guys want him?

Nope. His play style is outdated and he'll kill the locker room immediately. The entire team will hate each other by all star break. Not to mention those picks will probably be spread out over the course of 5-7 years
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#488 » by Galloisdaman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:23 pm

playaloc916 wrote:

Intriguing, but I'd pass... Our front office was able to efficiently move on from the Lob City era, this would just seem like a step backwards. Having CP3 back would not only take minutes away from SGA, but given that he's a bit of a locker room issue, plus him being on the tail-end of his career and the inevitable injuries, I don't think it makes much sense from a long-term perspective.

I'm not a CP fan BUT the trade would be more about trading 3 first round picks for the bad contract in a cap dump by the Rockets.

I would pass as well because the draft picks would not be anything special.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#489 » by playaloc916 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:34 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:

I'm not a CP fan BUT the trade would be more about trading 3 first round picks for the bad contract in a cap dump by the Rockets.

I see... agreed that the picks probably wouldn't be very high. Might make a lot of sense for a team in full rebuild mode (ie the 76'ers during "the process" era), maybe not so much for a team that is looking to contend in the near future.
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#490 » by Galloisdaman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:38 pm

playaloc916 wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:Intriguing, but I'd pass... Our front office was able to efficiently move on from the Lob City era, this would just seem like a step backwards. Having CP3 back would not only take minutes away from SGA, but given that he's a bit of a locker room issue, plus him being on the tail-end of his career and the inevitable injuries, I don't think it makes much sense from a long-term perspective.

I see... agreed that the picks probably wouldn't be very high. Might make a lot of sense for a team in full rebuild mode (ie the 76'ers during "the process" era), maybe not so much for a team that is looking to contend in the near future.

I agree with you. Plus CP may have some bad blood lingering to/from the organisation.
He will probably go for someone like Wiggins, Wall, or Hayword.
UKClipperfan
Junior
And1: 181

Post#491 » by UKClipperfan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:25 pm

as much as i loved CP for what he gave to this team, dude needs to suck it up, chill and defer to harden coz no one is trading for him. even if he does get traded it'll be to a team with no hope of winning a championship, he's better off in houston regardless
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#492 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Hard pass.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#493 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:16 pm

Nah. He can’t come back here.

He ditched us for a situation everybody could see was gonna be garbage.

Glad they’re stuck with each other.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 763

Post#494 » by donemilio21 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:43 pm

I never thought he'd be a good fit with Harden.
I think the best destination for him would have been Jazz, but that door is shut now, and there are a few teams who can afford his salary.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Baby Got Empty Bottle 

Post#495 » by Ranma » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:08 am

For the record, I have less of a problem with Chris Paul being demanding of his teammates than I do with him dictating what an organization should do and then bailing on it when things don't go his way. It's not like either Blake Griffin or James Harden are exemplary players for facilitating team basketball.

Paul wanted a trade out of New Orleans to Los Angeles. He got his wish albeit in a Clippers uniform than the initially-anticipated Lakers one. Then he demanded the Clippers give up a first-round pick to Boston in order to secure Doc Rivers, thus torpedoing our negotiations at the time. Then he was part of a group of teammates who petitioned Doc to bring back Jamal Crawford and play him extensively despite the glut of guards and Crawford's net-negative rating. After that, he wanted us to trade for the misfitting Carmelo Anthony. And finally, he wanted to go to Houston but demanded that he be signed to a big-money deal, thus allowing the Clippers to acquire Montrezl Harrell, Lou Williams and others.

Now the dude wants out of Houston? I love how he takes a page out of his buddy Lebron's book in expressing his displeasure with things only to hide behind the technicality of not officially making any formal requests. Then he uses mouthpieces in the media to try to control the narrative in his favor like Stephen A. Smith uncharacteristically talking in mellow fashion about how Chris Paul emphatically denies officially asking for a trade with Smith trying to misdirect the conversation by focusing on the Rockets' owner and coach D'Antoni's lack of agreement on a contract extension. Max Kellerman even called out SAS by pointing out Ryen Rusillo's report that Paul has made it be known that he wants out even while he hasn't technically demanded a trade.

Dude is an unwanted commodity given the remaining commitment on his obscenely overpaid contract as well as his history for being a high-maintenance diva. Well, the diva's comeuppance has arrived and it's high past time that he take his medicine.

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#496 » by wco81 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:36 am

Can't say it didn't work at all. Rockets have won 120 games in two seasons and made deeper runs in the playoffs than the Clippers did when CP3 was there.

Despite giving up some good rotation players in the trade.

Just that it was probably unrealistic that the Rockets would win a championship based on him joining them. The year before he joined the Rockets, they won like 55 games and was a second-round exit.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Post#497 » by esqtvd » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:17 am

wco81 wrote:Can't say it didn't work at all. Rockets have won 120 games in two seasons and made deeper runs in the playoffs than the Clippers did when CP3 was there.

Despite giving up some good rotation players in the trade.

Just that it was probably unrealistic that the Rockets would win a championship based on him joining them. The year before he joined the Rockets, they won like 55 games and was a second-round exit.

What if they'd have kept Trezz and Lou instead???? And still have $20 or 30M left over to get a SF like say Harrison Barnes?

It was their depth that killed them. CP3's playoff 17 ppg, 5.5 apg and an amazing 6 rpg were nice, but not for $40M.

Tellya, I'm not feeling this "Daryl Morey is a genius" s#it. And you should see his draft record. Capela was a great pick at #25, but even the ones who didn't suck only lasted a season or two or like Trezz or Morris got traded away.

https://sportsradio610.radio.com/blogs/daryl-moreys-top-12-draft-picks

2007 1 26 Aaron Brooks USA PG Oregon
    2007 2 31 Carl Landry (from Seattle via Memphis)[s] USA PF Purdue
    2007 2 54 Brad Newley AUS SG Townsville Crocodiles (Australia)
    2008 1 25 Nicolas Batum (traded to Portland)[u] FRA SF Le Mans (France)
    2008 2 33 Joey Dorsey (from Portland via Memphis)[u] USA PF Memphis
    2008 2 54 Maarty Leunen USA PF Oregon
    2009 2 32 Jermaine Taylor (from Washington)[v] USA SG UCF
    2009 2 34 Sergio Llull (from Denver via Oklahoma City)[v] ESP PG Real Madrid (Spain)
    2009 2 44 Chase Budinger (from Detroit)[v] USA SG/SF Arizona
    2010 1 14 Patrick Patterson USA PF Kentucky
    2011 1 14 Marcus Morris USA PF Kansas
    2011 1 23 Nikola Mirotić[w] ESP PF Real Madrid (Spain)
    2011 2 38 Chandler Parsons USA SF Florida
    2012 1 12 Jeremy Lamb USA SG Connecticut
    2012 1 16 Royce White USA PF Iowa State
    2012 1 18 Terrence Jones USA PF Kentucky
    2012 2 44 Furkan Aldemir (from Los Angeles Clippers)[x] TUR SF/PF Galatasaray (Turkey)
    2013 2 34 Isaiah Canaan (from Phoenix Suns)[y] USA PG Murray State
    2014 1 25 Clint Capela SUI PF Élan Chalon (France)
    2014 2 42 Nick Johnson (from New York Knicks)[z] USA PG/SG Arizona
    2015 1 18 Sam Dekker [ (from New Orleans)[aa] USA SF Wisconsin
    2015 2 32 Montrezl Harrell (from New York)[z] USA PF Louisville
    2016 2 37 Chinanu Onuaku (from New York via Portland and Sacramento)[ab] USA PF/C Louisville
    2016 2 43 Zhou Qi CHN C Xinjiang Flying Tigers (China)
    2017 2 43 Isaiah Hartenstein (from Denver)[ac] GER PF/C Žalgiris Kaunas (Lithuania)
    2017 2 45 Dillon Brooks (from Portland,[ad] traded to Memphis)[ae] CAN SF Oregon
    2018 2 46 De'Anthony Melton (from Miami via Memphis)[af] USA SG USC

That's a lotta junk.

And typical of Morey, Mirotic was immediately

June 23, 2011: Traded by the Houston Rockets with Brad Miller, Chandler Parsons and a 2013 1st round draft pick (Andre Roberson was later selected) to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Jonny Flynn, Donatas Motiejunas and a 2012 2nd round draft pick (Will Barton was later selected).

and Batum was immediately traded for

June 26, 2008: Donte Greene and a 2009 2nd round draft pick (Sam Young was later selected) and Joey Dorsey to the Houston Rockets

I mean, at this point with GSW crippled, you give Trader Daryl another year to try to float this sinking boat. But I can't believe other teams made a run at him.

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/15/sixers-rockets-daryl-morey-general-manager-rumors/

Dude gets some unreal pub.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#498 » by QRich3 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:54 am

That is actually a pretty great record, you can understate finding core pieces at the end of the draft but finding guys like Capela, Parsons, Trez, Brooks or Landry with late picks is an accomplishment very few managers have in their resume, and much less this often. Then you see he usually finds other good rotation players with 2nd rounders like Budinger, Canaan, Melton, and even his track record with mid-1st rounders is solid, not always great players but still guys that have a long career, with rarely any bust. That's a lot better than your average GM. Imagine if we had that in the Paul-Griffin era, we might have a championship or two already. Oh and the guys that didn't last long there, most of them it's because they were involved in trades to bring someone better, like you know, first ballot hall of famers like James Harden and Chris Paul :wink:

Honestly, what I see in this list is confirmation that Morey is indeed pretty genius-like.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#499 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:25 am

QRich3 wrote:That is actually a pretty great record, you can understate finding core pieces at the end of the draft but finding guys like Capela, Parsons, Trez, Brooks or Landry with late picks is an accomplishment very few managers have in their resume, and much less this often. Then you see he usually finds other good rotation players with 2nd rounders like Budinger, Canaan, Melton, and even his track record with mid-1st rounders is solid, not always great players but still guys that have a long career, with rarely any bust. That's a lot better than your average GM. Imagine if we had that in the Paul-Griffin era, we might have a championship or two already. Oh and the guys that didn't last long there, most of them it's because they were involved in trades to bring someone better, like you know, first ballot hall of famers like James Harden and Chris Paul :wink:

Honestly, what I see in this list is confirmation that Morey is indeed pretty genius-like.

Great post.
Would have been awesome in the Lob City era.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Re: Chris Paul FROM the Rockets LOL 

Post#500 » by esqtvd » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:35 am

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers