Shams: Jazz trade for Conley...

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Re: Shams: Jazz trade for Conley... 

Post#21 » by Luigi » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:22 pm

KqWIN wrote:
Luigi wrote:I think draft picks are overrated. It's critical to hit on some of them, but they miss a lot of the time.

We still have the Non-Tax MLE and the Bi-Annual Exception if we want it. Who do you like for 9.2 and 3.6 million?

Have to get someone to play PF. We don't have a single player guaranteed who played PF during the last 3 games of the season.

My guess is that the Jazz have a plan at PF already. Likely Mirotic.

I would like to see what the team could with Mirotic.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#22 » by KqWIN » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:23 pm

stitches wrote:This might be worse than the Rubio trade...

I think it's pretty even as far as being an overpay. Remember, MIN was desperately trying to get rid of Rubio and they already had Teague's deal in place. But, at least Conley is a good player who fits into the system.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#23 » by sipclip » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:24 pm

Luigi wrote:
sipclip wrote:
Luigi wrote:The fit is going to be incredible. I'm not super happy about the future pick. But I'm looking forward to the new lineup! We could be looking at a top 4 seed this year.

Conley (32) / Neto (16) / Vet Min
Mitchel (34) / Exum (14)
Ingles (32) / O'Neale (16)
Favors (10) / MLE (26) / Niang (12)
Gobert (32) / Favors (16) / Bradley

I hope Conley likes it here and he signs an extension either next summer or the summer after that.
The fit is not incredible and getting excited about a top 4 seed is a joke. We just gave up 3 1st round picks and all our capspace for a 32yr old pg that doesn't want to be here. Once again Lindsey gets trade raped and I have to endure local radio talking out of their ass. When this blows up in our face heads need to role.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

I think the fit is incredible on the floor.
Top 4 seeds in the west are rare. We could hit a homerun from there, you never know
Allen was a miss. I wasn't excited for 2019's pick. We'll see what happens to that future first.
I think we weren't getting anything for the capspace. Russell would have let us know. Others headed elsewhere.

Sorry to hear you are so unhappy.
Top 4 seeds aren't that rare and I don't think we are a top 4 seed anyways. I have the nuggets, Lakers, blazers and rockets ahead of us currently. Then you have the clippers who could take a massive jump this offseason. You also have the up and coming young teams in the mavs and kings who could easily move past us.

Luigi
General Manager

Post#24 » by Luigi » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:25 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:We also lost out spacing PF in Crowder. We’re all disappointed he didn’t play better. But the Jazz have great numbers when he is on the floor.

If we don’t get a better replacement for Jae were screwed. We HAVE to get a player who can space the floor.

Conley spaces where Rubio didn't. But I agree, we'll need another stretchy 4 type.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#25 » by stitches » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:26 pm

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:This might be worse than the Rubio trade...

I think it's pretty even as far as being an overpay. Remember, MIN was desperately trying to get rid of Rubio and they already had Teague's deal in place. But, at least Conley is a good player who fits into the system.

That's true... at least he fits.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#26 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:26 pm

Luigi wrote:I think draft picks are overrated. It's critical to hit on some of them, but they miss a lot of the time.

We still have the Non-Tax MLE and the Bi-Annual Exception if we want it. Who do you like for 9.2 and 3.6 million?

Mirotic and Ariza
Ingles is cooked.
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,028

Post#27 » by RaisingArizona » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:26 pm

I really like this deal for you guys.
reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Post#28 » by reapaman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:27 pm

First is was the Burke draft day trade
Then it was the Hill trade
Then it was the Rubio trade
Now the Conley trade

Maybe DL shouldn't trade for point guards.
BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#29 » by sipclip » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:28 pm

RaisingArizona wrote:I really like this deal for you guys.
We don't. Not a surprise though since our gm gets trade raped pretty often.

Luigi
General Manager

Post#30 » by Luigi » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:29 pm

sipclip wrote:Top 4 seeds aren't that rare and I don't think we are a top 4 seed anyways. I have the nuggets, Lakers, blazers and rockets ahead of us currently. Then you have the clippers who could take a massive jump this offseason. You also have the up and coming young teams in the mavs and kings who could easily move past us.

Lakers are a huge wildcard. They could be great, they could miss the playoffs. I have to wait and see on them.
Nuggets are a lock.
Blazers are too.
Rockets could implode. I think they should probably stay together and go for a title while the Warriors are down (just like when Jordan left and they got theirs in the 90s).

I think we could have made it to the top 4 last season with Conley after the trade deadline. We were pretty close. I'm optimistic that the offense won't look so miserable from the perimeter anymore.

I'm thinking that Russell, Harris weren't flirting back, and there wasn't much else to do. I'm glad we made a move to improve while we can. That future first could stink, though. It's a risk.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#31 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:29 pm

This will be more acceptable if the Jazz just buy a draft pick this year. And the year they convey a pick to Memphis.

If we don’t have the balls to go into free agency with confidence, then the Miller’s can at least give Dennis some cash to go buy a late round draft pick.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#32 » by KqWIN » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:29 pm

Oh ****...I just realized that we're taking Conley into cap space for this trade. We don't even have the full MLE.

So, we have zero minutes at PF. To fill 48 minutes of playoff PF minutes, we have a $4.7M exception, #53 in the draft, and minimum deals.

Schofield/Niang 2020!!!!!
Luigi
General Manager

Post#33 » by Luigi » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:33 pm

KqWIN wrote:Oh ****...I just realized that we're taking Conley into cap space for this trade. We don't even have the full MLE.

So, we have zero minutes at PF. To fill 48 minutes of playoff PF minutes, we have a $4.7M exception, #53 in the draft, and minimum deals.

Oh, I wonder when the trade becomes official. Probably a draft day thing.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#34 » by stitches » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:34 pm

Just so you don't get the wrong impression - the pick is likely to convey in 2022 because of the stupid protections and in case you missed it - this is the year the highschoolers will be let in the league. Gread job, DL! Great job! Lets see if it can get any worse?
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#35 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:34 pm

I like Conley, but this is an incredible, massive overpay. And that is an understatement!

This would be ok if we had a top 5 player (e.g. Lebron) and we were all in for going for a title- but we are not! Conley might push us to the WCF, but we still haven't seen how the West is going to shape up. The Lakers could get another star or some good role players and the Clippers could get Kawhi and perhaps another player that make getting to the WCF a long shot even with Conley. That would be super depressing.

Crowder was part of our best lineup. Who are we replacing him with, Niang?

There must be some sort of Rob Pelinka effect or something.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#36 » by Luigi » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:34 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:This will be more acceptable if the Jazz just buy a draft pick this year. And the year they convey a pick to Memphis.

If we don’t have the balls to go into free agency with confidence, then the Miller’s can at least give Dennis some cash to go buy a late round draft pick.

I'd be very interested in acquiring draft picks.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,663

Post#37 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:35 pm

Luigi wrote:
sipclip wrote:
Luigi wrote:The fit is going to be incredible. I'm not super happy about the future pick. But I'm looking forward to the new lineup! We could be looking at a top 4 seed this year.

Conley (32) / Neto (16) / Vet Min
Mitchel (34) / Exum (14)
Ingles (32) / O'Neale (16)
Favors (10) / MLE (26) / Niang (12)
Gobert (32) / Favors (16) / Bradley

I hope Conley likes it here and he signs an extension either next summer or the summer after that.
The fit is not incredible and getting excited about a top 4 seed is a joke. We just gave up 3 1st round picks and all our capspace for a 32yr old pg that doesn't want to be here. Once again Lindsey gets trade raped and I have to endure local radio talking out of their ass. When this blows up in our face heads need to role.

I think the fit is incredible on the floor.
Top 4 seeds in the west are rare. We could hit a homerun from there, you never know
Allen was a miss. I wasn't excited for 2019's pick. We'll see what happens to that future first.
I think we weren't getting anything for the capspace. Russell would have let us know. Others headed elsewhere.

Sorry to hear you are so unhappy.

Yes, too much negativity here. From what we had to work with, not a bad result. Folks are always criticizing DL for not taking a big, risky swing, and now he took one, people are all over him. If Daryl Morey does something similar, he's considered brilliant. Just sayin'. This could turn out to be a big swing and a miss, but it also has a chance of turning out well. With both Warriors and Rockets having issues, it's not a bad time to overpay on a risky swing.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#38 » by KqWIN » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:35 pm

The thing I hate the most about this trade will be the "we were able to keep Favors" boasting. Yeah, we kept Favors. We have very little to no resources to fill 48 minutes of PF minutes in the playoffs.

If you're going for the ring, go for the ring! This is half pushing the chips in, half friendship first while paying double.
reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Post#39 » by reapaman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:35 pm

Luigi wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Oh ****...I just realized that we're taking Conley into cap space for this trade. We don't even have the full MLE.

July 6
BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
Luigi
General Manager

Post#40 » by Luigi » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:36 pm

reapaman wrote:
Luigi wrote:

July 6

So how does this work for cap and exception contracts? The order of operations always baffles me.

Return to Utah Jazz