ImageImageImage

The best path for the Heat in regards to RYAN ANDERSON.

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,302

The best path for the Heat in regards to RYAN ANDERSON. 

Post#1 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:08 pm

In regards to Ryan Anderson, we have two viable choices right now.

The first, is to stretch out his contract for 3 years and take only a $5m/yr cap hit over the next 3 years. I STRONGLY ADVISE NOT TO DO THIS!!!

The second option, is to keep him. This is what I think is the best course to take. This creates a 3 scenario option for us, and we win all 3 scenarios. I think we should make him a starter and play him starters minutes, and tell coach Spo, SECRETLY, to revitalize his career for a future trade before the February deadline. He's only 31, so it could work. And you know how players do when it's their contract year. This is the final roll of the dice on Ryan Anderson.

Scenario A - If we can improve his trade value enough and trade him before the February deadline for some decent asset in return, then we did great.

Scenario B - If we fail to improve his trade value, he is still a huge expiring contract. When February rolls around and teams are already only a few months away from the 2020 off-season... Ryan's expiring contract looks tempting.

Scenario C - If all else fails, then we simply keep Ryan for the remainder of the season after the February trade deadline, and we finally get that money off our books.

We win all 3 scenarios, IMO.

Especially when you consider Whiteside just asked for a trade.... and especially if we can trade Goran Dragic to the Mavericks for a future 1st rounder in 2022 or something .. since Mike Conley just netted the Grizzlies 3 players and -2- first round picks.

DO NOT STRETCH HIS CONTRACT OUT. BE PATIENT. NO MORE POISON PILLS DUE TO IMPATIENCE.

And, IMO, this will help us to tank next year.
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Re: The best path for the Heat in regards to RYAN ANDERSON. 

Post#2 » by HeatIn5 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:24 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:In regards to Ryan Anderson, we have two viable choices right now.

The first, is to stretch out his contract for 3 years and take only a $5m/yr cap hit over the next 3 years. I STRONGLY ADVISE NOT TO DO THIS!!!

The second option, is to keep him. This is what I think is the best course to take. This creates a 3 scenario option for us, and we win all 3 scenarios. I think we should make him a starter and play him starters minutes, and tell coach Spo, SECRETLY, to revitalize his career for a future trade before the February deadline. He's only 31, so it could work. And you know how players do when it's their contract year. This is the final roll of the dice on Ryan Anderson.

Scenario A - If we can improve his trade value enough and trade him before the February deadline for some decent asset in return, then we did great.

Scenario B - If we fail to improve his trade value, he is still a huge expiring contract. When February rolls around and teams are already only a few months away from the 2020 off-season... Ryan's expiring contract looks tempting.

Scenario C - If all else fails, then we simply keep Ryan for the remainder of the season after the February trade deadline, and we finally get that money off our books.

We win all 3 scenarios, IMO.

Especially when you consider Whiteside just asked for a trade.... and especially if we can trade Goran Dragic to the Mavericks for a future 1st rounder in 2022 or something .. since Mike Conley just netted the Grizzlies 3 players and -2- first round picks.

DO NOT STRETCH HIS CONTRACT OUT. BE PATIENT. NO MORE POISON PILLS DUE TO IMPATIENCE.

And, IMO, this will help us to tank next year.

Isn't there an option 3 where we just release him and get 5-6M back? I choose that.
Read on Twitter
BFRESH44
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 10,814

Post#3 » by BFRESH44 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:47 pm

If we don't include him a trade, Anderson is a virtual lock to be bought out, and the Heat are going to eat that 15.6 million dead cap charge portion of his guarantee.
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager

Post#4 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:59 pm

JustiseForMiami wrote:Isn't there an option 3 where we just release him and get 5-6M back? I choose that.

BFRESH44 wrote:If we don't include him a trade, Anderson is a virtual lock to be bought out, and the Heat are going to eat that 15.6 million dead cap charge portion of his guarantee.

I don't like this option.

I'd rather roll the dice and try to see if we can get anything for him at the Feb trade deadline. Either by improving his trade value on the court, or as an juicy expiring contract just months away from the offseason.

Anything we get back for him would be nice.
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
HeatIn5
General Manager

Post#5 » by HeatIn5 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:04 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
JustiseForMiami wrote:Isn't there an option 3 where we just release him and get 5-6M back? I choose that.

BFRESH44 wrote:If we don't include him a trade, Anderson is a virtual lock to be bought out, and the Heat are going to eat that 15.6 million dead cap charge portion of his guarantee.

I'd rather roll the dice and try to see if we can get anything for him at the Feb trade deadline. Either by improving his trade value on the court, or as an juicy expiring contract just months away from the offseason.

Last year we cut McGruder to get under tax. No way we are keeping Ryan Anderson around for 6M to see if he can make a comeback.

Let me ask you this. Would you be happy if we signed Free Agent Ryan Anderson to a deal worth 6 mill a year?

Read on Twitter
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager

Post#6 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:07 pm

JustiseForMiami wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:

Last year we cut McGruder to get under tax. No way we are keeping Ryan Anderson around for 6M to see if he can make a comeback.

Let me ask you this. Would you be happy if we signed Free Agent Ryan Anderson to a deal worth 6 mill a year?

The thing is, we can get under the tax anyway.

Goran Dragic is likely gone. And so is Whiteside. Whiteside asked for a trade.

Those 2 trades alone would be enough to bring us under the cap, depending on how the trades are done. The Mavericks can absorb the entirety of Goran Dragic's contract, as they are 30th in NBA payroll and about 20 mil under the projected cap for next year. Send Goran to Dallas for a future 1st in 2022 or something. Then trade Whiteside. We're good.

Then, if we can get rid of James Johnson, to.. say... the Utah Jazz who now need a role playing PF...
HeatIn5
General Manager

Post#7 » by HeatIn5 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:08 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
JustiseForMiami wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:

Those 2 alone would be enough to bring us under the cap.

Then, if we can get rid of James Johnson, to.. say... the Utah Jazz who now need a role playing PF...

right... so whatever that cap number would be that you think we are getting to.. would you rather add 6M more to it or take a chance on Ryan?

To each their own, Id just rather offer a guy like Jimmy 6 mill more

Read on Twitter
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager

Post#8 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:11 pm

JustiseForMiami wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
JustiseForMiami wrote:

right... so whatever that cap number would be that you think we are getting to.. would you rather add 6M more to it or take a chance on Ryan?

I pick rolling the dice with Ryan and his expiring contract/comeback chances.

No star is coming down here to sign with us. We aren't in a position to contend. I don't care about Jimmy. He's going somewhere else to win.

I'd rather roll the dice on getting back assets on Ryan Anderson, who even if he fails at making a comeback, he is a big expiring contract that could net us SOMETHING in trade. And if all else fails, that cap space is cleared off our books anyway.

Let's fix our cap situation and start amassing assets in our treasure chest, IMO. And get a lottery pick next season.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#9 » by HurricaneKid » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:20 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
JustiseForMiami wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:

No star is coming down here to sign with us. We aren't in a position to contend. I don't care about Jimmy. He's going somewhere else to win.

I'd rather roll the dice on getting back assets on Ryan Anderson, who even if he fails at making a comeback, he is a big expiring contract that could net us SOMETHING in trade. And if all else fails, that cap space is cleared off our books anyway.

Let's fix our cap situation and start amassing assets in our treasure chest, IMO. And get a lottery pick next season.
Expiring contracts are worthless except as a means to take back longer crappy deals. Feel free to list all the things a 20 m expiring got back in trade at the deadline since the last CBA. Ill give you a clue: It hasn't happened.

Sent from my VS995 using RealGM mobile app
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager

Post#10 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:24 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:Sent from my VS995 using RealGM mobile app

That doesn't mean anything, because recently, most teams have been operating with cap space, due to the historic bumps in the salary cap. Because of that reason, expiring contracts haven't been in play as much as they used to.

But that isn't going to remain the case for the future. There are going to be several teams looking to avoid the luxury tax and will trade an asset to do it.

For example.

The OKC Thunder are in cap hell for the foreseeable future, and they just got bounced in the 1st round for the second year in a row. Their Westbrook-Paul-Adams experiment is a failure. They can't beat Denver, they can't beat Portland, and now they have to deal with Lebron-Davis coming up.

At some point, a team like this will want to shake things up and change the pieces around. Maybe, they'll look to make moves to retool.

An expiring contract like Ryan's allows them to do that.
HeatIn5
General Manager

Post#11 » by HeatIn5 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:44 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:

That doesn't mean anything, because recently, most teams have been operating with cap space, due to the historic bumps in the salary cap. Because of that reason, expiring contracts haven't been in play as much as they used to.

But that isn't going to remain the case for the future. There are going to be several teams looking to avoid the luxury tax and will trade an asset to do it.

For example.

The OKC Thunder are in cap hell for the foreseeable future, and they just got bounced in the 1st round for the second year in a row. Their Westbrook-Paul-Adams experiment is a failure. They can't beat Denver, they can't beat Portland, and now they have to deal with Lebron-Davis coming up.

At some point, a team like this will want to shake things up and change the pieces around. Maybe, they'll look to make moves to retool.

Right but I think you missed Hurricanes point. OKC is not taking Andersons contract at all because of how much they would have to pay in tax.

The only way a team would move for a big expiring contract is if it gets them out of bad contracts that they are currently in, and based off the plan YOU want us to go with clearing cap - the trade wouldn't do us any good whatsoever.

The only value from Anderson is that we save money by cutting him.

Read on Twitter
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager

Post#12 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:49 pm

JustiseForMiami wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:

For example.

Right but I think you missed Hurricanes point. OKC is not taking Andersons contract at all because of how much they would have to pay in tax.

The only way a team would move for a big expiring contract is if it gets them out of bad contracts that they are currently in, and based off the plan YOU want us to go with clearing cap - the trade wouldn't do us any good whatsoever.

Wait, what? Ya'll are the one missing my point.

I said OKC was in cap hell for the foreseeable future. They are paying tax this coming season, and the one after that.

Nothing can save them from paying tax this upcoming season, BUT next season they would get cap relief by Ryan's expiring. So it would help them.

And of course it could help us.

What if OKC gives up on their failed experiment, and just wants to get back under the salary cap and re-tool around George or Westbrook or both?

They may trade Steven Adams for an expiring contract and some pieces.

Would you like to replace Whiteside with Steven Adams and all you had to do was send Ryan's expiring and some pieces??
HeatIn5
General Manager

Post#13 » by HeatIn5 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:50 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
JustiseForMiami wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:

For example.

I said OKC was in cap hell for the foreseeable future. They are paying tax this coming season, and the one after that.

Nothing can save them from paying tax this upcoming season, BUT next season they would get cap relief by Ryan's expiring. So it would help them.

Right... and what are they going to trade us for Ryan Anderson?

Read on Twitter
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager

Post#14 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:55 pm

JustiseForMiami wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
JustiseForMiami wrote:

If we're using OKC as an example.

Steven Adams. OKC is not going to want to be in this luxury tax hell for 1st round exits. I am positive they will want to make some moves, get under the tax and re-tool.

We send then Ryan's expiring and some draft picks or pieces, and they send us Steven Adams.

We then trade Whiteside.

Not bad.
HeatIn5
General Manager

Post#15 » by HeatIn5 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:59 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
JustiseForMiami wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:

Steven Adams. OKC is not going to want to be in this luxury tax hell for 1st round exits. I am positive they will want to make some moves, get under the tax and re-tool.

We send then Ryan's expiring and some draft picks or pieces, and they send us Steven Adams.

We then trade Whiteside.

Not bad.

Why do we want to pay Adams 27M for an extra year after Whiteside and Anderson?

I'm just trying to gauge the reasoning behind it. I still don't get it.

Read on Twitter
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager

Post#16 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:03 pm

JustiseForMiami wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
JustiseForMiami wrote:

We then trade Whiteside.

Not bad.

You don't understand why flipping Ryan Anderson into a 25 year old Steven Adams is a good move?

14 ppg
10 rbg
1.6 apg

1.5 steals per game
1 blocks per game

on 60% shooting....

he's actually a good player worth his contract, and he's only 25 years old.

A valuable player to have, who's just entering his prime. And we turn a non-asset that we are bout to FOOLISHLY throw away for nothing, into a very good, young, starting Center.
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 7,984

Post#17 » by Flash4thewin » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:07 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
JustiseForMiami wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:

For example.

And of course it could help us.

What if OKC gives up on their failed experiment, and just wants to get back under the salary cap and re-tool around George or Westbrook or both?

They may trade Steven Adams for an expiring contract and some pieces.

Would you like to replace Whiteside with Steven Adams and all you had to do was send Ryan's expiring and some pieces??

Basically as an example you would be arguing to trade Whiteside and Dragic to the Rockets for Chris Paul since that would get the Rockets off the hook for his contract. What you are forgetting is that we would be getting that toxic contract to go with the toxic contracts of JJ and Waiters. We would be in cap hell for what, a few low first round picks? Thats why expiring contracts typically only hold value if you take on a worse contract for an extra asset.
HeatIn5
General Manager

Post#18 » by HeatIn5 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:08 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
JustiseForMiami wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:

We then trade Whiteside.

Not bad.

You don't understand why flipping Ryan Anderson into a 25 year old Steven Adams is a good move?

14 ppg
10 rbg
1.6 apg

1.5 steals per game
1 blocks per game

on 60% shooting....

A valuable player to have, who's just entering his prime. And we turn a non-asset that we are bout to FOOLISHLY throw away for nothing, into a very good, young, starting Center.

Well we are also giving draft pieces. I personally don't want to give near 30M to a non scorer. In a year, those will be very similar to Bams numbers who will already be our starting center.

Would rather release anderson now, not spend draft capital, Get 6M towards this year while still getting the other 15M next year and spending that on a wing.

I dont think the spacing of

Winslow
Player X
Richardson
Bam
Adams

is very good at all.

Read on Twitter
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager

Post#19 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:21 pm

JustiseForMiami wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
JustiseForMiami wrote:

14 ppg
10 rbg
1.6 apg

1.5 steals per game
1 blocks per game

on 60% shooting....

Well we are also giving draft pieces. I personally don't want to give near 30M to a non scorer. In a year, those will be very similar to Bams numbers who will already be our starting center.

Would rather release anderson now, not spend draft capital, Get 6M towards this year while still getting the other 15M next year and spending that on a wing.

I dont think the spacing of

Winslow
Player X
Richardson
Bam
Adams

is very good at all.

Fixing our salary cap mess was always going to be a multi-year project.

Acquiring a 25 yr old Steven Adams on a long term deal in exchange for Ryan Anderson and pieces is a very good move ...
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager

Post#20 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:25 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
JustiseForMiami wrote:

Expiring contracts are worthless except as a means to take back longer crappy deals. Feel free to list all the things a 20 m expiring got back in trade at the deadline since the last CBA. Ill give you a clue: It hasn't happened.

Sent from my VS995 using RealGM mobile app

And P.S.

It's now being reported the Rockets tried to send Chris Paul to the Knicks in return for cap space.

So, yes, expiring contracts will not be worthless.

Chris Paul is still a superstar, even at 34 yrs old.

Return to Miami Heat