ImageImageImage

Would swapping Tobias w D Russ make sense?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

If Tobias & D Russ swapped teams...

Both teams get better
47%
Only Sixers get better
14%
Only Nets get better
31%
Both teams get worse
8%

Total votes: 49

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Re: Would swapping Tobias w D Russ make sense? 

Post#81 » by youngcrev » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:04 pm

Foshan wrote:They played so much better when Allen could stay in the game and not get in foul trouble in the first 2 mins. Horford lets them do that, while also providing an extra rim protector. I think it would dynamically change the series...

That said, i’m Having a bad day, could be just a bit pessimistic atm. Lol

Don't get me wrong, I agree that he'd dynamically change the series. Boban, who had a huge series, is probably unplayable whenever Horford is out there at center. Embiid can't just ignore his man and stand at the rim and would have a tougher time on offense. He can also defend Ben better than anyone on that team.

I just don't think he changes things enough. That series wasn't close. The narrative changed because we lost that first game and freaked out, but they were never a real threat.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#82 » by Kolkmania » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:11 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Actually the more I look at it, I think trading two BYC guys for each other still runs into the same issue of matching salaries. I don't think doing a trade as an over the cap team is possible unfortunately.

For the Nets side of the trade it would be:
Russell (counting as like 27)
for
Harris (counting as 16)

And for the Sixers side it would be
Harris (counting as like 32)
for
Russell (counting as like 13.5)

Doesn't work

Sorry if I got anything excited.

Unfortunately, I think this explanation of the BYC rule is correct.

Only incentive for the Nets to S&T Harris is if they sign Kyrie and do not have the cap space to sign Harris with cap space. I thought there might be a way if the Nets would S&T for Harris while operating under the cap, but that seems impossible as well.

Harris, Dinwiddie and Napier (18.26 m) is lower than the maximum amount the Sixers are allowed to take back (16.3m (half of Harris' salary) *125% = 20.4m), however the Nets would be about 2 m over the cap, which is not allowed. So unless there is some prior transaction, the whole S&T with Nets looks impossible to me.

But perhaps I'm just wrong and misinterpreting rules or miscalculating certain salaries.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,972

Post#83 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:59 pm

Another option would be Brogdon, matter of fact if the Sixers lost Harris & Butler then Russell & Brogdon would be an incredible way to make things up, you'd have to draft an SF or sign some kind of 3&D guy, but you'd have multiple creators on the team with Ben playing at the 4. All while retaining a lot of the size that makes the Sixers special since both Brogdon and Russell are 6'6.
TJ McGODnell
Sophomore
And1: 162

Post#84 » by TJ McGODnell » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:46 pm

D'Lo is exactly what Fultz was supposed to be for us (with much better shooting). Let's be honest, this years playoffs again proved that Simmons is a transition PG ONLY. We desperately need a halfcourt PG who can run PnR's with Embiid. D'Lo is exactly that, and he is very good off the ball too as a catch and shoot floor spacer.

He is also the absolute perfect age to grow with Embiid and Simmons. We would be stupid not to consider him if we were to lose 1 or both of Jimmy and Harris.
#1 fan of the 6'2 white GOAT.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,691

Post#85 » by Mik317 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:34 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Another option would be Brogdon, matter of fact if the Sixers lost Harris & Butler then Russell & Brogdon would be an incredible way to make things up, you'd have to draft an SF or sign some kind of 3&D guy, but you'd have multiple creators on the team with Ben playing at the 4. All while retaining a lot of the size that makes the Sixers special since both Brogdon and Russell are 6'6.

Sounds like the Bucks will do everything in their power to match any Brodgon deal.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,972

Post#86 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:10 pm

Mik317 wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Another option would be Brogdon, matter of fact if the Sixers lost Harris & Butler then Russell & Brogdon would be an incredible way to make things up, you'd have to draft an SF or sign some kind of 3&D guy, but you'd have multiple creators on the team with Ben playing at the 4. All while retaining a lot of the size that makes the Sixers special since both Brogdon and Russell are 6'6.

Sounds like the Bucks will do everything in their power to match any Brodgon deal.

I think that's posturing, there's a number they can't commit to if they can't find a taker for Snell / Ersan.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,013

Post#87 » by Sixerscan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:29 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Mik317 wrote:

I think that's posturing, there's a number they can't commit to if they can't find a taker for Snell / Ersan.

They can make it work (I can’t imagine Ersan will be very hard to move), and if not they can always trade Brogdon to whatever team tries to sign him. No reason to be rushed into letting a good player go.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#88 » by rzzzzz » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:35 pm

TJ McGODnell wrote:D'Lo is exactly what Fultz was supposed to be for us (with much better shooting).

well, Fultz could play D, was kinda of silky smooth, had a knack for getting separation, and looked like he was a good prospect to develop his drives to get over the rim. BUT...Sam would have drafted D'Lo instead of OK4.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,691

Post#89 » by Mik317 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:59 am

and they just dumped Snell and the 30th pick.

Brogdon will be back
#NeverGonnaBeGood
nitocobola
Veteran
And1: 1,242

Post#90 » by nitocobola » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:03 am

that's a good trade for the bucks, dumping snell for a 30th and an expiring is fine.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,108

Post#91 » by Arsenal » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:05 am

nitocobola wrote:that's a good trade for the bucks, dumping snell for a 30th and an expiring is fine.

I think the Bucks gave up the pick. It's the 30th pick which they have/had.

Snell + 30 for Leuer.
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#92 » by thenbaman » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:54 pm

Dlo=doper dont need that in philly.
Mavericksfan
Senior
And1: 197

Post#93 » by Mavericksfan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:30 pm

D-lo is a level below Tobias and a bad fit for the Sixers.

He’d be another ball dominant guard. They did just fine with Jimmy as a facilitator.

They just need a decent back up center. Honestly if Mike Scott didnt get hurt they may have won it all
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#94 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:42 pm

I'd rather have Russell and Harris as #2 and #3 options behind Embiid than Jimmy Butler and Ben Simmons.
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#95 » by cool93 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:49 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I'd rather have Russell and Harris as #2 and #3 options behind Embiid than Jimmy Butler and Ben Simmons.

1) Russel who is worse defender than Redick and who would get KILLED in playoffs everytime he is in a competitive series? Russell who would continue to be inefficient chucker that he is and inevitably piss Joel off? Russell who doesn't get to FT line AT ALL? That Russell?
2) You would rather offer max to Harris who was very bad in playoffs than Butler who was good and is generaly better player?

Alrighty than
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 3,961

Post#96 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:16 pm

cool93 wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:I'd rather have Russell and Harris as #2 and #3 options behind Embiid than Jimmy Butler and Ben Simmons.

1) Russel who is worse defender than Redick and who would get KILLED in playoffs everytime he is in a competitive series? Russell who would continue to be inefficient chucker that he is and inevitably piss Joel off? Russell who doesn't get to FT line AT ALL? That Russell?
2) You would rather offer max to Harris who was very bad in playoffs than Butler who was good and is generaly better player?

Alrighty than

Easily bruh, it is all about dat modahn era, Jimmy, while way better than Russell, is not a great 3pt shooter and is a relic of the past...
We need more modern players.
Horrible takes since 2016
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#97 » by Kobblehead » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:16 pm

cool93 wrote:

Alrighty than

So we should keep putting terrible fits around our MVP bigman and waste his health window?

You're talking defense and ft rate. If you can't score in the half court you ain't getting out of the 2nd round. See Boston series. See Toronto series.

How did having Jimmy and Ben's defense benefit us against Toronto? A guy at their position was indefensible.
cool93
Analyst

Post#98 » by cool93 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:22 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
cool93 wrote:

Alrighty than

So we should keep putting terrible fits around our MVP bigman and waste his health window?

You're talking defense and ft rate. If you can't score in the half court you ain't getting out of the 2nd round. See Boston series. See Toronto series.

How did having Jimmy and Ben's defense benefit us against Toronto? A guy at their position was indefensible.
Umm, we were very close to beat Toronto with Harris missing every wide open 3 and Joel having **** and other stuff. And that team played like 5 minutes together before playoffs. Fit was not a problem.

Having Russell in that series would help Raps tremendously. They would have dead body to go at every time on offence. We would lose in 4-5 if Russell was in place of Butler.

Sent from my G3416 using RealGM mobile app
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#99 » by Kobblehead » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:27 pm

Or we could just hide him on a terrible dribbler like Danny Green.

Meanwhile we could actually score in the half court and actually have a core that can play on and off each other and we'd outclassed Toronto with execution.

We helped Toronto tremendously by having terrible fitting pieces and one dimensional ball handlers.
cool93
Analyst

Post#100 » by cool93 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Or we could just hide him on a terrible dribbler like Danny Green.

Meanwhile we could actually score in the half court and actually have a core that can play on and off each other and we'd outclassed Toronto with execution.

We helped Toronto tremendously by having terrible fitting pieces and one dimensional ball handlers.

You mean like inefficient scoring in half court? Russell won't do **** against Raps cause he can't even go to the rim. The fact that he was hot for couple of month is RS and made more floaters than usual doesn't all of a sudden put him in the same ball park like legit star Butler.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers