ImageImage

Breaking News: Conley To Utah (update on PG 3)

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Re: Breaking News: Conley To Utah (update on PG 3) 

Post#81 » by jman3134 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:51 pm

I agree that it totally depends on what they are willing to pay for him. Your suggestion is a great one and one I would definitely welcome with open arms. Whether or not they are willing to pay up for Russell given the minimal talent left among PGs in free agency is the real question to me. I think his price gets bid up pretty high.

I would not be angry with this trade if it was paired with something like this to acquire young assets.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Post#82 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:56 pm

jman3134 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:
I don't mind the MKG trade, if we could get that done. Again, I just think Charlotte doesn't need us and that lowers the trade exception's value in negotiations.

With Conley being able to opt out after this season, being older, having a big contract, and his injury history I think his value wasn't as high as you have it pegged. I could be wrong and maybe someone moves a crazy deal for Conley later, but we will never know.

As for the CHA trade, it is to avoid the luxury tax more so than being able to sign someone though their MLE will be opened up by dumping one of their bigger contracts. Time will tell what the TPE will actually net and what the picks turn out to be.

I still think it was a good deal, not great/amazing/WOW but a good deal that highly likely was the best we could get. We also have been calling teams to see what they'd offer (even if it was after FA) so I think we had a rough idea of what offers could be there if we had waited.

I had heard that about Conley's value around the league, based on rumors. I think if they waited, this would have changed significantly. That is why I am not happy. Exum, at the very least, should have been included in this trade just based on speculative relative value.

My point is that I don't see much value at all in this trade, and we could have gotten a higher first less than 3 yrs out. Conley is in an elite category of point guard free agents based on his performance last year. Look at the Rockets for example. Chris Paul has demanded a trade. He is on a worse contract and that team is in desperate need of a replacement and to win now. How are they going to do this seamlessly without losing significant value? Conley is definitely an option in a three team trade, though I can't conceive of a team that would be willing to take on that Chris Paul contract as the third team. There is a high probability Kemba resigns in Charlotte and Kyrie is almost guaranteed to be with the Nets at this point. Who is left for a team looking to contend?

The best options after these names are D'Angelo Russell, Ricky Rubio, and Patrick Beverly. Teams looking to contend are the Pacers, Celtics, Lakers, Rockets, and potentially the Knicks depending on who they sign. If the Bulls have an interest in Russell, that would only add to this fight for point guards. The price of Conley goes up as soon as Kemba and Kyrie sign officially. The Rockets have super limited options and they need to contend with their existing team. Do not forget about the Suns, who have significant assets and a very small chance at signing anyone to come play in their basketball abyss.

Yes, you are right on the MKG trade - I forgot for a minute he is a free agent.

Wait till you see what they do with the trade exception before judging the trade.

If Minnesota are motivated to dump Wiggins 25m 4yrs, Memphis 25m trade exception could take him on for the 11th & a FRP for instance.

Memphis buyout Bradley & Korver to save 15m, with the 13m absorbed by Utah = Conley's 30m against the cap.

Conley will have been traded for Wiggins, 11th, 23rd, 2 FRP's
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#83 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:02 pm

jman3134 wrote:I agree that it totally depends on what they are willing to pay for him. Your suggestion is a great one and one I would definitely welcome with open arms. Whether or not they are willing to pay up for Russell given the minimal talent left among PGs in free agency is the real question to me. I think his price gets bid up pretty high.

I would not be angry with this trade if it was paired with something like this to acquire young assets.

When Derozan was first suggested for Kawhi, most Raptor fans said it would take both Pascal & OG to get a deal done. Not only did it take neither prospect, Danny was thrown in the deal as a trade filler.

People underestimate certain aspects of what drive a trade from finance to interest. The leverage is Chicago only has 10m in cap, so if they really want Russell, we need the 6th pick to take on 25m 2yrs in a rebuild where Porter is of no use other than possibly adding wins to a potential tank ... where's the incentive other than perceived player value?.

Do they have an alternative team that would take on Porters entire 25m for pure cap space?.
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#84 » by boogiesdad » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:13 pm

Interesting thoughts below:

Grizzlies can fit Crowder and Grayson into TPEs, essentially allowing them to trade Conley just for Korver. This lets them create an NBA record $25M trade exception. They could also generate up to $22.2M in cap space, but they’d forfeit the TPE and bird rights to free agents. Hoopshype.com

Wish someone would break this down a little better.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#85 » by jman3134 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:34 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
jman3134 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
With Conley being able to opt out after this season, being older, having a big contract, and his injury history I think his value wasn't as high as you have it pegged. I could be wrong and maybe someone moves a crazy deal for Conley later, but we will never know.

As for the CHA trade, it is to avoid the luxury tax more so than being able to sign someone though their MLE will be opened up by dumping one of their bigger contracts. Time will tell what the TPE will actually net and what the picks turn out to be.

I still think it was a good deal, not great/amazing/WOW but a good deal that highly likely was the best we could get. We also have been calling teams to see what they'd offer (even if it was after FA) so I think we had a rough idea of what offers could be there if we had waited.

I had heard that about Conley's value around the league, based on rumors. I think if they waited, this would have changed significantly. That is why I am not happy. Exum, at the very least, should have been included in this trade just based on speculative relative value.

My point is that I don't see much value at all in this trade, and we could have gotten a higher first less than 3 yrs out. Conley is in an elite category of point guard free agents based on his performance last year. Look at the Rockets for example. Chris Paul has demanded a trade. He is on a worse contract and that team is in desperate need of a replacement and to win now. How are they going to do this seamlessly without losing significant value? Conley is definitely an option in a three team trade, though I can't conceive of a team that would be willing to take on that Chris Paul contract as the third team. There is a high probability Kemba resigns in Charlotte and Kyrie is almost guaranteed to be with the Nets at this point. Who is left for a team looking to contend?

The best options after these names are D'Angelo Russell, Ricky Rubio, and Patrick Beverly. Teams looking to contend are the Pacers, Celtics, Lakers, Rockets, and potentially the Knicks depending on who they sign. If the Bulls have an interest in Russell, that would only add to this fight for point guards. The price of Conley goes up as soon as Kemba and Kyrie sign officially. The Rockets have super limited options and they need to contend with their existing team. Do not forget about the Suns, who have significant assets and a very small chance at signing anyone to come play in their basketball abyss.

Yes, you are right on the MKG trade - I forgot for a minute he is a free agent.

Wait till you see what they do with the trade exception before judging the trade.

If Minnesota are motivated to dump Wiggins 25m 4yrs, Memphis 25m trade exception could take him on for the 11th & a FRP for instance.

Memphis buyout Bradley & Korver to save 15m, with the 13m absorbed by Utah = Conley's 30m against the cap.

That couldn't be less appealing to me tbh in terms of the Wiggins part of it. I would avoid Wiggins like the plague. He plays 0 defense and doesn't work hard enough on his game.

I agree that I have to wait to see what plays out. My skepticism and anger has to do with my expectation that nothing will play out and that this is it.

Edit: on second inspection, the 11th pick plus a future 1st would lesson the blow. On second inspection, I wouldn't mind this if we waived Wiggins. Still, this is a hypothetical that I don't think they are offering?
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#86 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:44 pm

boogiesdad wrote:Interesting thoughts below:

Grizzlies can fit Crowder and Grayson into TPEs, essentially allowing them to trade Conley just for Korver. This lets them create an NBA record $25M trade exception. They could also generate up to $22.2M in cap space, but they’d forfeit the TPE and bird rights to free agents. Hoopshype.com

Wish someone would break this down a little better.

I think they sign key FA's (Jonas, Noah, Delon, Holiday).

Use the 25m TPE during the draft as pseudo cap space to net assets.

Then buyout Bradley & Korver to regulate the cap with their (15m) non guaranteed.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#87 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:00 am

jman3134 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Wait till you see what they do with the trade exception before judging the trade.

That couldn't be less appealing to me tbh in terms of the Wiggins part of it. I would avoid Wiggins like the plague. He plays 0 defense and doesn't work hard enough on his game.

I agree that I have to wait to see what plays out. My skepticism and anger has to do with my expectation that nothing will play out and that this is it.

Edit: on second inspection, the 11th pick plus a future 1st would lesson the blow. On second inspection, I wouldn't mind this if we waived Wiggins. Still, this is a hypothetical that I don't think they are offering?

Minnesota has made it known they want to trade Wiggins, they have to know he's negative value.

Fansided had Minnesota offering (Wiggins, Saric, 11th, 2021 FRP) for (DeRozan 1yr)

The TPE is giving Minnesota a clean slate, depending on Teague, 20m in cap to target a PG in FA as a result. Where DeRozan is just a better version of Wiggins for 3yrs less.

If Wiggins remains negative value, that could mean high draft picks. His 3yr contract gap to a valuable expiring in worse case scenario, is the development period for Ja & Jaren unless Memphis think they'll be ready to contend sooner.

By taking on that negative contract Memphis net 4 picks (11th, #23, 2 FRP's) for Conley & the potential to maybe reclaim some of Wiggins value.

If nothing else, he's a quick athlete in transition, with Ja pushing pace & for that asset haul, he could end up on the bench & it won't matter. Memphis won't be able over that span to find a better use for that cap space than to net an additional 2 picks.

Wiggins regaining any player value, is gravy.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#88 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:13 am

Verified account

@JakeLFischer
Follow
Follow @JakeLFischer

More
Oklahoma City has increased its efforts this afternoon to shed salary along with the No. 21 pick en route to dodging luxury tax, league sources say. Steven Adams, Andre Roberson, Dennis Schroeder all very available at the moment.
12:41 PM - 19 Jun 2019
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#89 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:16 am

Like I said, on second inspection, it isn't my favorite scenario, but 4 firsts (even if low) for Conley is solid.

Not sure these scenarios are on the table though.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#90 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:19 am

Minnesota trade - (Wiggins 25m, #11, FRP) for (Shroeder 15m)

Minnesota net a PG & save 65m on Wiggins contract.

OKC trade - (Shroeder 15m, #21) for (15m TPE)

OKC shed 15m

Memphis trade - (24m TPE) for (Wiggins, #11, #21, FRP)
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#91 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:23 am

jman3134 wrote:Like I said, on second inspection, it isn't my favorite scenario, but 4 firsts (even if low) for Conley is solid.

Not sure these scenarios are on the table though.

It's me spitballing but there's potential to it.

- Minnesota has made Wiggins available as a large negative contract. They can't be expecting value in return.

- OKC has put Adams & Shroeder on the table to shed salary.

If Charlotte have any interest in Adams, which they should the concept is feasable, the details can be ironed out.

If Minnesota have interes in a PG, Memphis can help facilitate a Wiggins for Shroeder swap. where both teams shed salary & Minnesota end up with a PG for Wiggins.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#92 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:11 am

What about a 3 team with the Rockets and Suns?

The Rockets need someone to eat the CP3 contract. The Suns desperately need someone to keep their team competitive, or Booker will walk in free agency. Match made in hell? We use trade exception to get Suns pick?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#93 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:36 am

jman3134 wrote:What about a 3 team with the Rockets and Suns?

The Rockets need someone to eat the CP3 contract. The Suns desperately need someone to keep their team competitive, or Booker will walk in free agency. Match made in hell? We use trade exception to get Suns pick?

What bad salary are we eating in that deal?
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#94 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:29 am

VCfor3 wrote:

I didn't iron out exact details or even make an official proposal.

Memphis gets: Clint Capela, #6, Mikal Bridges, and Nene Hilario

Rockets get: TJ Warren, Chandler Parsons, Delon Wright (s&t assume for $10m next year)

Suns get: CP3, PJ Tucker, Rockets 2020 1st, Rockets 2021 1st

Not sure this would work. Logic would be it would make the Suns competitive now so Booker doesn't demand a trade. They get two future 1sts, but Houston is in win now so it doesn't matter for them. Rockets add an expiring in terms of Parsons, add a solid PG in Delon Wright, and a decent rotation piece in TJ Warren. Maybe they cut Parsons and save half of the $25m he is owed next year. Most importantly, they unload the CP3 contract. They have $12.5m more to sign free agents

Suns Team Post Trade:
PG CP3
SG Devin Booker
SF Josh Jackson
PF PJ Tucker
C DeAndre Ayton

Rockets Post Trade:
PG Delon Wright
SG James Harden
SF Eric Gordon
PF TJ Warren
C FA

Grizzlies Post Trade:
PG Ja Morant
SG #6 (Jarrett Culver)
SF Mikal Bridges
PF Jaren Jackson Jr.
C Clint Capela
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#95 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:34 am

jman3134 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Rockets get: TJ Warren, Chandler Parsons, Delon Wright (s&t assume for $10m next year)

Not sure this would work. Logic would be it would make the Suns competitive now so Booker doesn't demand a trade. They get two future 1sts, but Houston is in win now so it doesn't matter for them. Rockets add an expiring in terms of Parsons, add a solid PG in Delon Wright, and a decent rotation piece in TJ Warren. They unload the CP3 contract.

I can't see that happening. We get off Parsons and get three really good assets. I think you are looking at something more like Tyler Johnson+protected future 1st into our TPE.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#96 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:42 am

VCfor3 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Not sure this would work. Logic would be it would make the Suns competitive now so Booker doesn't demand a trade. They get two future 1sts, but Houston is in win now so it doesn't matter for them. Rockets add an expiring in terms of Parsons, add a solid PG in Delon Wright, and a decent rotation piece in TJ Warren. They unload the CP3 contract.

I can't see that happening. We get off Parsons and get three really good assets. I think you are looking at something more like Tyler Johnson+protected future 1st into our TPE.

Rockets need a miracle to get out of that CP3 contract. They do this and pick up a decent Grizzlies asset in Delon Wright. Parsons can be waived and you create $12.5m in cap room to sign someone else (plus $16m off Capela's bad contract). Warren is a downgrade from PJ Tucker bigtime (esp defensively), but you have to give up something to get that CP3 contract behind you.

Suns get their veteran point guard plus a win now asset in addition to two future firsts to compensate for taking that awful contract.

I think Capela is another awful contract from Houston. They have been looking to move him with no takers. He was outplayed by Looney in this year's playoffs.

Which team is losing the most in my scenario? I would say the Rockets.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#97 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:44 am

jman3134 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:

Rockets need a miracle to get out of that CP3 contract. They do this and pick up a decent Grizzlies asset in Delon Wright. Parsons can be waived and you create $12.5m in cap room to sign someone else. Warren is a downgrade from PJ Tucker bigtime (esp defensively), but you have to give up something to get that CP3 contract behind you.

Suns get their veteran point guard plus a win now asset in addition to two future firsts to compensate for taking that awful contract.

I think Capela is another awful contract from Houston. They have been looking to move him with no takers. He was outplayed by Looney in this year's playoffs.

There has been interest for Capela, but the Rockets want to flip him (and then maybe any assets he returns) to have a stronger team next offseason. Then all the turmoil has come out so they may be hesitant. CP3 is a terrible contract. PHX isn't giving up Bridges, who they love, plus the #6 pick to get him. They could have given up #6 for Conley if they wanted who would have been better and cheaper.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#98 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:55 am

VCfor3 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Rockets need a miracle to get out of that CP3 contract. They do this and pick up a decent Grizzlies asset in Delon Wright. Parsons can be waived and you create $12.5m in cap room to sign someone else. Warren is a downgrade from PJ Tucker bigtime (esp defensively), but you have to give up something to get that CP3 contract behind you.

There has been interest for Capela, but the Rockets want to flip him (and then maybe any assets he returns) to have a stronger team next offseason. Then all the turmoil has come out so they may be hesitant. CP3 is a terrible contract. PHX isn't giving up Bridges, who they love, plus the #6 pick to get him. They could have given up #6 for Conley if they wanted who would have been better and cheaper.

Capela was awful this year in the playoffs and his $16m contract is something that teams shouldn't want. Why not dump his $16m salary - as it happens in this trade - and sign someone like Cousins in free agency?

Because of the CP3 turmoil, they likely have to trade him and there are very few teams that would be willing to take on that contract. The Suns need a veteran point guard to pair with Booker, or he has demanded a trade. Their salary is like $26m under the cap at the moment. Which free agent can they target now that will accomplish this?

Mike Conley for $32m is not as bad as CP3 at $39m especially considering age and the fact that CP3 is signed through 2021-22. The gap in terms of salary is not incredibly huge and CP3 is still a serviceable player, even if not on Conley's level. You add one of the NBA's best bargain contracts in PJ Tucker at $8m, and a win now guy. You also add two first round (put protections on) picks. You keep Devin Booker in Phoenix and hopefully Ayton develops along with Josh Jackson.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#99 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:08 am

Steve Kyler

@stevekylerNBA

Watch Miami — JR Smith and the 26 for the 13.

Looks as though Miami have decided to save money by trading down. Smith's 15m has a 4m buyout for 11m savings.

Memphis if they wanted, could land the 13th pick.

(15m TPE, #21) for (JJ 15m, #13) Beats out JJ for Smith's 4m buyout
or
(TPE, #21) for (Olynyk, #13)
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#100 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:16 am

Whole Truth wrote:Steve Kyler

@stevekylerNBA

Watch Miami — JR Smith and the 26 for the 13.

Looks as though Miami have decided to save money by trading down. Smith's 15m has a 4m buyout for 11m savings.

Memphis if they wanted, could land the 13th pick.

(15m TPE, #21) for (JJ 15m, #13) Beats out JJ for Smith's 4m buyout
or
(TPE, #21) for (Olynyk, #13)

I don't know if I'd want us to take on JJ to move up 10 spots (23 to 13). Olynyk I'd maybe be okay with especially if we didn't bring JV back.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies