ImageImage

Breaking News: Conley To Utah (update on PG 3)

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Breaking News: Conley To Utah (update on PG 3) 

Post#101 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:18 am

jman3134 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:
Rockets need a miracle to get out of that CP3 contract. They do this and pick up a decent Grizzlies asset in Delon Wright. Parsons can be waived and you create $12.5m in cap room to sign someone else. Warren is a downgrade from PJ Tucker bigtime (esp defensively), but you have to give up something to get that CP3 contract behind you.

Suns get their veteran point guard plus a win now asset in addition to two future firsts to compensate for taking that awful contract.

I think Capela is another awful contract from Houston. They have been looking to move him with no takers. He was outplayed by Looney in this year's playoffs.

There has been interest for Capela, but the Rockets want to flip him (and then maybe any assets he returns) to have a stronger team next offseason. Then all the turmoil has come out so they may be hesitant. CP3 is a terrible contract. PHX isn't giving up Bridges, who they love, plus the #6 pick to get him. They could have given up #6 for Conley if they wanted who would have been better and cheaper.

Capela was awful this year in the playoffs and his $16m contract is something that teams shouldn't want. Why not dump his $16m salary - as it happens in this trade - and sign someone like Cousins in free agency?

Because of the CP3 turmoil, they likely have to trade him and there are very few teams that would be willing to take on that contract. The Suns need a veteran point guard to pair with Booker, or he has demanded a trade. Their salary is like $26m under the cap at the moment. Which free agent can they target now that will accomplish this?

Mike Conley for $32m is not as bad as CP3 at $39m especially considering age and the fact that CP3 is signed through 2021-22. The gap in terms of salary is not incredibly huge and CP3 is still a serviceable player, even if not on Conley's level. You add one of the NBA's best bargain contracts in PJ Tucker at $8m, and a win now guy. You also add two first round (put protections on) picks. You keep Devin Booker in Phoenix and hopefully Ayton develops along with Josh Jackson.

I still don't think you are getting #6 or Bridges in that deal. I think it is more likely we are cut out all together and it is Tyler Johnson+TJ Warren+Josh Jackson for Chris Paul. Phx can maybe keep TJ if they want, but even then the deal is pretty rough. Paul will be an anchor on his contract in a couple years.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#102 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:28 am

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Steve Kyler

@stevekylerNBA

Watch Miami — JR Smith and the 26 for the 13.

Looks as though Miami have decided to save money by trading down. Smith's 15m has a 4m buyout for 11m savings.

Memphis if they wanted, could land the 13th pick.

(15m TPE, #21) for (JJ 15m, #13) Beats out JJ for Smith's 4m buyout
or
(TPE, #21) for (Olynyk, #13)

I don't know if I'd want us to take on JJ to move up 10 spots (23 to 13). Olynyk I'd maybe be okay with especially if we didn't bring JV back.

It would depend on how much Memphis value the player at that draft spot.

Knowing that they could make this trade to move up but choose not to could also mean they have a better alternative use.

Personally, I like the idea of taking a chance on trying to reclaim Wiggins player value for the 11th & a FRP. It could end up as 3 potential assets, 5 total for trading Conley with no added financial hit other than adding 2yrs, where Parsons is off the books next year.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#103 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:38 am

Let's pretend I am not an outrageous Grizzlies homer, any way you guys can think of to leverage our trade exception to get rid of Paul and return assets?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#104 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:56 am

jman3134 wrote:Let's pretend I am not an outrageous Grizzlies homer, any way you guys can think of to leverage our trade exception to get rid of Paul and return assets?

I'm just going to throw out a few kinda random points and you can do with them as you please:
1. Capela isn't seen as a negative contract around the NBA even though he struggled against GSW this past playoffs.
2. Paul has zero positive value on his contract.
3. Houston won't use assets to pay to dump Paul.
4. Houston wants to remain competitive.
5. Houston would be willing to take back a different bad contract as long as that player has on court value to help them win now.
6. Memphis getting involved with their TPE would be if we are taking in a pretty useless/bad player along with likely a protected 1st that projects to be late.
7. You likely aren't sending Parsons out in such a deal.
8. I think our TPE will likely be used in a non-Paul deal. We should be looking for a team trying to clear cap space due to being a bigger player in FA or who are trying to duck the luxury tax. Orlando with Mozgov, OKC with Schroeder/PPat/Roberson, Miami with any of their bad deals, PHX with Johnson if they think they can get Russell/Randle in FA, Dallas with Courtney Lee if they actually had assets lol, Charlotte with MKG/Biyombo/Batum if they resign Kemba, NOP with Hill if they are trying to be big players in FA or have a commitment from someone, Atlanta with Crabbe if they somehow get a commitment from a max-type guy (unlikely), Chicago with Felicio if they are trying to bring in some vets, Spurs if they are wanting to make a push for Bojan as reported, LAL with their young guys they are trying to dump though we only could get a 2nd or two, Portland with Turner, Minnesota if they get a commitment from DLo and need to clear space, LAC with Gall if they need room for max free agents. So yeah a couple examples haha.
9. I think a Houston/Memphis deal that would be more likely is Crowder for Nene+Davis+small salary+protected future 1st.
10. I don't think PHX moves Bridges at all and only moves #6 if they are moving up to #4 to get Garland.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#105 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:56 am

jman3134 wrote:Let's pretend I am not an outrageous Grizzlies homer, any way you guys can think of to leverage our trade exception to get rid of Paul and return assets?

A deal would have to be with a team that has a fairly similar bad contract that are in need of a PG & no cap room.

Minnesota have -18m cap, Wiggins at 110m/4yrs & Need at PG.

Assuming Minnesota had any interest in swapping Paul's 140m 3yr contract, for Wiggins 110m 4yr contract.

Minnesota trade - (Wiggins 25m 4yrs, Dieng 15m 2yrs, Teague 19m 1yr, #11) 160m out for (Paul 35m 3yrs) 140m in,
Minnesota address a need at point, save 20m total moving their 2 bad contracts for Paul.

Houston trade - (Paul 35m, 3yrs, 2022 FRP unprotected) 140m out for (Dieng 15m 2yr, Teague 19m 1yr) 49m in
Memphis help Houston shed 90m of Pauls contract.

Memphis trade - (25m TPE) for (Wiggins 24m 4yrs, #11, FRP 2022) 110m in
For helping Houston & Minnesota absorb 110m in this trade, Memphis net the 11th & 2022 FRP (unprotected). Where Harden will be 32 & the state of Houston unknown.

This will give Memphis #11 & #21 in 2019 & 3 picks in the 2022 draft for Conley.

- Memphis own
- Houston unprotected
- Utah top 6 protected

Jman this is the best I could come up with. Houston IMO are ****.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#106 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:00 am

I would do this. Solid suggestion.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#107 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:49 pm

How Celtics can sign Russell.

With Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, and Gordon Hayward still on the roster, the most glaring need appears to be at point guard. Kyrie Irving’s imminent departure leaves the door wide open for Terry Rozier to take the reigns, but there could be better options out there on the market.
The most intriguing being Brooklyn Nets point guard, D’Angelo Russell. Russell.

Russell will command a max contract starting at $26,740,613M, according to hoopsrumors. To start things off, Boston would have to renounce all of their free agents to remove their cap holds. That means Terry Rozier and Marcus Morris, as well as Daniel Theis will not be making a return.

There is a rule in the Collective Bargaining Agreement that states every unused roster spot on teams with less than 12 players has cap hold of $900,000. Right now the Celtics have five for a total of $4.5M. On top of that, they also have three first-round picks whose value adds up to about $7M. In reality, Boston only has about $25M in cap space.

Fortunately, all that needs to be done from here is either trade one or two of the draft picks, or draft and stash them.

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2019/06/19/celtics-can-sign-dangelo-russell/

Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn

Boston has offered center Aron Baynes -- $5.4M expiring contract -- into salary cap space elsewhere, league sources tell ESPN. Without Kyrie Irving and Al Horford on the books, moving Baynes without taking back salary could get the Celtics to $23M in space.

8:46 AM - Jun 20, 2019
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#108 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:47 pm

The New Orleans Pelicans have discussed potentially trading their fourth overall pick in exchange for the Minnesota Timberwolves’ 11th overall pick and forward Robert Covington, according to Stadium’s Jeff Goodman.

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-draft-rumors-pelicans-discussed-trading-4th-pick-to-timberwolves-for-robert-covington-11th-pick/

The new front office boss is reportedly trying to get another first-rounder and a player on a good contract in return for the No. 4 pick.

What does a player on a good contract constitute?.

Covington 10m/4yrs, Crowder 7m/2yrs

If Minnesota would trade (Wiggins, #11, FRP) for (25m TPE) in a 110m salary dump.

Memphis could flip (Crowder, #11) for (Filler, #4)?

It appears the request for a good contract, the goal could be to shed the monetary value of the pick & a small player dump. Covington at 10m the filler would be Solomon Hill or Etwan Moore. I'm thinking NO's is trying to dump one with the monetary value of the 4th & have a player of interest mocked in range of Atlanta/Minnesota. 10/11 that would be cheaper than selecting 4th.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#109 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:37 pm

jman3134 wrote:I would do this. Solid suggestion.

Jman are you a player agent or work with Memphis?

"Cp’s agent is at the bar at fertittas hotel right now. Don't shoot the messenger

Wiggins to Houston, Hayward to Minny, CP3 to Boston. Picks and role players not decided".

This is my deal with Hayward in place of the TPE & Paul going to Boston

- I'm thinking Houston trading Capela's 13m with Paul, would give Boston added incentive to take Pauls 35m contract, having lost out on Horford .. Out Kyrie & Horford, in Paul & Capela. Where Re-signing Kyrie & Horford would have been more expensive for Boston than Paul 35m & Capela's 13m. Kyrie & Horford would have cost Boston more than 48m, plus they're sending out Haywards contract in the deal with Houston taking Wiggins longer contract to get out from under Paul ..

- How does Memphis potentially come into this? Houston is said to have strong interest in Butler who butted heads with Wiggins in Minnesota. So if this deal is correct, Houston would need to dump Wiggins ..

Minnesota trade - (Wiggins, Teague, #11, 2021 FRP) 44m out for (Hayward, Smart) 43m in

Boston trade - (Hayward, Smart, Baynes, #14) 48m out for (Capela, Paul, #21) 48m in

Houston trade - (Capela, Paul, 2022 FRP) 48m out for (Teague expiring, Baynes, TPE 25m) 24m in

Memphis trade - (25m TPE, #21) for (Wiggins, #11, #14, 2021 FRP, 2022 FRP) 25m in
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#110 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:32 am

Minnesota traded up for #6 Culver & is actively shopping Wiggins 25m that can fit into Memphis TPE ..
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#111 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:39 am

Whole Truth wrote:Minnesota traded up for #6 Culver & is actively shopping Wiggins 25m that can fit into Memphis TPE ..

And so it begins. I used to be more plugged in. Atm, all good guesswork, given our rush to create TPE and not even wait for free agency before trading Conley.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#112 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:49 am

jman3134 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Minnesota traded up for #6 Culver & is actively shopping Wiggins 25m that can fit into Memphis TPE ..

And so it begins. I used to be more plugged in. Atm, all good guesswork, given our rush to create TPE and not even wait for free agency before trading Conley.

It's definitely aligning. I think Memphis might be waiting out the Heat or most likely Boston pick/s. If the rumor above from the Boston fan is legit, it could be a blockbuster involving Boston & Houston.

One thing is certain, Minnesota have a need at PG & traded up for a SG (passed on White). Neither Boston or Houston have that need.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies