Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,460

Re: RJ Barrett 

Post#821 » by Saints14 » Sun Jun 2, 2019 1:46 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
yea, the efficiency is an issue, I don't think RJ is ever gonna be an efficiency monster at the NBA level by any stretch, but also I think he's a bit better than he showed at Duke...just wasn't a great fit with him. I've mentioned this before, but his FG %s actually went up during that stretch Zion got hurt.

I think RJ definitely took a hit just like Zion did because he just like Zion had 0 room to breathe when he tried to attack the basket. So I definitely think with more room to breathe he should be more effective attacking the basket. His FG% did go up without Zion, but his overall efficiency was still an issue, 23% from 3 and 57% from the line. But ya he did see a 10% boost from 53% to 63% inside the arc. I think he can be a 56-58 TS% type of guy.

completely agree there, he's a 20+ ppg scorer on ~56 TS efficiency in the NBA which is good, add in the rebounding and his ability as a secondary ball handler and I don't see how he's not an all-star at some point in the near future

But what’s your ceiling if that guy is leading your team in usage? That’s essentially peak DeRozan, who is an all-star but not leading anyone to a title. I think RJ can be a bit better than that, but personally I’d still bet on his shooting and decision making concerns preventing him from being the kind of wing to be the man on a contender. Not to mention lacking the defense of PG and Kawhi. And if he’s not that, I don’t think he has the skill set or mentality to be a high-impact supporting player.

You can probably make a similar argument about players in Ja’s archetype, but I can more easily envision Ja making players around him better and coexisting with a scoring wing (a-la Durant and Westbrook, and idc what anyone says they were absolutely good enough to win a title together). We’re starting to see the PG position become back in vogue with Fox and Young, and if you told me Ja would essentially be on their level I’d take that over RJ.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#822 » by King Ken » Sun Jun 2, 2019 2:09 pm

James Harden and guys like him took an unprecedented leap. For R.J. to become that, he too has to take an unexpected jump. It's possible but that's on him, the system and his team and coach ability to develop. No one saw this coming.

I definitely think R.J. will be superior to DeRozan. The question is, will he be a superstar. Only time will tell. He isn't rated a superstar as a prospect for me.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#823 » by CoreyVillains » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:46 pm

Latest in my “Game Tape” series!

MapleMamba
Freshman
And1: 61

Post#824 » by MapleMamba » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:10 am

As you can tell by my screen name, huge fan of the kid. Please New York do not screw this up. He just turned 19 on June 14th. He like the 4th youngest player in the whole draft.

He be a play maker and excellent rebounder for his position. Might be the hardest worker in the draft? Could end up one of the All Time greats at the off guard position.

I think he could be a D-Wade type of player myself. So excited for the draft tonight.
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#825 » by nybluemeadow » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:48 am

baca wrote:
nybluemeadow wrote:
baca wrote:

Basketball without border shirt? That is about one and half years ago photo. Even before he got FIBA U19 champion.

Barrett worked with Drew Hanlen with his stroke right now. Probably one of the most famous trainer in NBA...

You just have to watch the last three canada games to see his shot is broken or still broken. the duke canada games shows that his form has not improved the last 2-3 years. His free throw shooting in the duke preseason shows off why his form and approach is so bad. But yes, i agree with you, he will need a specialized shooting coach to fix his broken shot. Barrett will have to unlearn alot of bad things and rebuild everything. Some guys have just one or two things to fix, but Barrett has to fix his shoulders, elbows, hands, grip, and release and basically have to relearn everything before his shot is fixed.

Here is Stepien's Cole Zwicker's article on RJ Barrett's analysis. https://www.thestepien.com/2018/08/02/early-2019-draft-thoughts-r-j-barrett/

There are tons of shooting stroke analysis and photos in this article.And most of them are from Nike hoop summit and FIBA U19 game, which is more recently pictures than you post.

And his conclusion is his shooting stroke has some problem, but improving on a streak and not bad or not fixable. He has a good pull jumper stroke and feet set shooting is OK. You are welcome to give your persuasive professional point on newest picture and show us how his stroke has so many problems.

Barrett now taking his poor shooting and broken jump shot into the NBA. His first summer league game i've been right all along and shows you don't know what you are talking about. :lol:
Context
RealGM
And1: 12,181

Post#826 » by Context » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:19 am

nybluemeadow wrote:
baca wrote:
nybluemeadow wrote:
You just have to watch the last three canada games to see his shot is broken or still broken. the duke canada games shows that his form has not improved the last 2-3 years. His free throw shooting in the duke preseason shows off why his form and approach is so bad. But yes, i agree with you, he will need a specialized shooting coach to fix his broken shot. Barrett will have to unlearn alot of bad things and rebuild everything. Some guys have just one or two things to fix, but Barrett has to fix his shoulders, elbows, hands, grip, and release and basically have to relearn everything before his shot is fixed.

Here is Stepien's Cole Zwicker's article on RJ Barrett's analysis. https://www.thestepien.com/2018/08/02/early-2019-draft-thoughts-r-j-barrett/

There are tons of shooting stroke analysis and photos in this article.And most of them are from Nike hoop summit and FIBA U19 game, which is more recently pictures than you post.

And his conclusion is his shooting stroke has some problem, but improving on a streak and not bad or not fixable. He has a good pull jumper stroke and feet set shooting is OK. You are welcome to give your persuasive professional point on newest picture and show us how his stroke has so many problems.

Barrett now taking his poor shooting and broken jump shot into the NBA. His first summer league game i've been right all along and shows you don't know what you are talking about. :lol:

and whats all of what you're being right going to matter when he busts his ass to fix it? :roll: :lol:
Spoiler:
"Against All Odds" "The Watch"
23-7
Veteran
And1: 466

Post#827 » by 23-7 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:17 am

Context wrote:
nybluemeadow wrote:
baca wrote:

and whats all of what you're being right going to matter when he busts his ass to fix it? :roll: :lol:

Some guys don't fix their shot. For you to automatically assume that is ridiculous. Write now his shot looks bad
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#828 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:39 am

Context wrote:
nybluemeadow wrote:
baca wrote:

MKG: "Don't worry, I have 7 years, I'll bust my ass and fix this..." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Context
RealGM

Post#829 » by Context » Sun Jul 7, 2019 1:38 pm

23-7 wrote:
Context wrote:
nybluemeadow wrote:

Some guys don't fix their shot. For you to automatically assume that is ridiculous. Write now his shot looks bad

yeah, well i fixed my shot after putting up 50k shots...I trust barretts pedigree and work ethic...
Spoiler:
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,539

Post#830 » by Alatan » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:18 pm

Context wrote:
23-7 wrote:
Context wrote:and whats all of what you're being right going to matter when he busts his ass to fix it? :roll: :lol:

yeah, well i fixed my shot after putting up 50k shots...I trust barretts pedigree and work ethic...

If you could just "fix" your shot there wouldnt be Noah/Ball level shooters in the NBA and everyone would be shooting threes.
Context
RealGM

Post#831 » by Context » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:27 pm

Alatan wrote:
Context wrote:
23-7 wrote:

If you could just "fix" your shot there wouldnt be Noah/Ball level shooters in the NBA and everyone would be shooting threes.

I know its hard for you to believe but YOU can IF you put in the WORK- thats the hard part- DISCIPLINE and conquering LAZINESS!
Spoiler:
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#832 » by Alatan » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:36 pm

Context wrote:
Alatan wrote:
Context wrote:yeah, well i fixed my shot after putting up 50k shots...I trust barretts pedigree and work ethic...

I know its hard for you to believe but YOU can IF you put in the WORK- thats the hard part- DISCIPLINE and conquering LAZINESS!

You can improve your shot and tinker with the mechanics to get a higher release or a faster shot but its rare for a player to successfully rework his shot from being a bad shooter to being a good shooter. Sure everyone can practice shooting and get to a level where you hit almost every shot from a fixed position in an empty gym with all the time and space in the world. But come game time you revert back to muscle memory and inherit touch.
Context
RealGM

Post#833 » by Context » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:16 pm

Alatan wrote:
Context wrote:
Alatan wrote:

You can improve your shot and tinker with the mechanics to get a higher release or a faster shot but its rare for a player to successfully rework his shot from being a bad shooter to being a good shooter. Sure everyone can practice shooting and get to a level where you hit almost every shot from a fixed position in an empty gym with all the time and space in the world. But come game time you revert back to muscle memory and inherit touch.

how would you know personally?
Spoiler:
orlandomanic
Bench Warmer
And1: 334

Post#834 » by orlandomanic » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:40 pm

^ If only you can just work hard and that would fix your shot, then everybody in the NBA would shoot 40% from three and 90% from the free throw line.

If you are dumb enough to think that hard work is all that is needed to fix a broken shot, then Tony Allen should have a TS% of .650
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#835 » by Alatan » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:00 pm

Context wrote:
Alatan wrote:
Context wrote:I know its hard for you to believe but YOU can IF you put in the WORK- thats the hard part- DISCIPLINE and conquering LAZINESS!

how would you know personally?

To a point yes.
awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#836 » by awy » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:48 am

lmao
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#837 » by gorz » Mon Jul 8, 2019 11:35 am

King Ken wrote:James Harden and guys like him took an unprecedented leap. For R.J. to become that, he too has to take an unexpected jump. It's possible but that's on him, the system and his team and coach ability to develop. No one saw this coming.

I definitely think R.J. will be superior to DeRozan. The question is, will he be a superstar. Only time will tell. He isn't rated a superstar as a prospect for me.

Derozan is so underrated by realgm its not even funny. If rj becomes derozan thats still a very good player..better than 90% of the league.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#838 » by King Ken » Mon Jul 8, 2019 11:54 am

gorz wrote:
King Ken wrote:James Harden and guys like him took an unprecedented leap. For R.J. to become that, he too has to take an unexpected jump. It's possible but that's on him, the system and his team and coach ability to develop. No one saw this coming.

Derozan is so underrated by realgm its not even funny. If rj becomes derozan thats still a very good player..better than 90% of the league.

DD is not a net positive player and never has been. His #1 thing is he is a reliable #1 option but he doesn't have much impact on wins or losses. R.J. is at least a 3 prong player. Even if the impact ain't there, the stats should be. I don't put much into summer league. All teams are different and the coaching is meh at best.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,722

Post#839 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:43 pm

Man, if he busts, I never trust U19 tournament ever again.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#840 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:20 pm

I was mostly out the game this year, but I can see RJ's bust risk from space. He is a non-elite athlete who's not even that skilled. Volume scoring on mediocre efficiency is overhyped in college, but RJs moves aren't even that good. And seems like the definition of a high school player that dominated cause he was physically developed.

Return to NBA Draft