AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Re: Shams: Jazz trade for Conley... 

Post#201 » by AingesBurner » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:08 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Rauxcee wrote:

I think its just speculation. Really no reason to waive Neto unless they are trying to make cap space for something.

I don't think we can make enough for Harris though.

We have to waive or trade Favs and send Exum into cap.

That's not $32.7M cap you need for Tobias. I don't see a realistic way to get there.

Nevermind I think we have to send our Ingles as well.
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,280

Post#202 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:18 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
Rauxcee wrote:

I think its just speculation. Really no reason to waive Neto unless they are trying to make cap space for something.

I don't think we can make enough for Harris though.

We have to waive or trade Favs and send Exum into cap.

That's not $32.7M cap you need for Tobias. I don't see a realistic way to get there.

Yup, no way to open a full max slot. Letting go of Favors, Neto, Niang, Bradley, and dumping Dante into cap space results in about $24 million after minimum roster charges. Then you'd have to hope Philly would do a sign and trade for Ingles. At that point you have no depth and are seemingly deeply screwed with 5 players on the roster (Conley-Mitchell-O'neale-Harris-Gobert). Great, great starting five, but you'd have to build the bench with minimums. Best you could maybe do would be like Mack-Troy Daniels-Sefelosha-Trevor Booker-Ekpe and sign Niang and Neto again.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#203 » by DelaneyRudd » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:23 am

I’d love to think Julius Randle is an option but I suspect an Al-Farouk Aminu type will be signed. Can Batoum be signed to give Rudy a Boris like friend to listen to French rap with?
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#204 » by AingesBurner » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:25 am

Julius Randle would be a wet dream of sorts.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#205 » by AingesBurner » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:31 am

If our medical team can keep Conley healthy, he can play for another 4-5 years at a high level, and he re-signs on a team friendly deal to compete.
Ingles is cooked.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#206 » by Rauxcee » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:35 am

GobertReport wrote:If our medical team can keep Conley healthy, he can play for another 4-5 years at a high level, and he re-signs on a team friendly deal to compete.

They can't even keep Exum and Neto healthy. Not sure what they can do for Conley. :lol:
Calhamid94
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#207 » by Calhamid94 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:59 am

We should have tried to get Delon Wright in the trade, and give them Exum. That would have been a great addition to Conley.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#208 » by vryadli » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:01 am

I think I forgot how Jazz got Rudy and DM... I thought they were drafted and not even too high... but after reading last pages here I got serious doubts ... May be they were acquired some other way and Jazz is just fine without late first rounders.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#209 » by CAE15 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:09 am

Dan has a great breakdown of the available options left

http://saltcityhoops.com/conley-encore-why-adding-another-star-is-possible-but-complicated/

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#210 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:13 am

Just read the Jazz plan on being active and buying early second round picks. That’s fantastic news.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#211 » by Luigi » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:34 am

Daddy 801 wrote:Just read the Jazz plan on being active and buying early second round picks. That’s fantastic news.

Was #30 mentioned, because it looks like Bucks just moved it with Snell for Jon Leuer.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#212 » by kdthunderup » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:04 am

If you guys could land a stretch 4 that would be a scary starting 5.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#213 » by stitches » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:49 am

Good listen by Chris Vernon about the trade and Conley(a bit MEM-centric, but still):

stitches
RealGM

Post#214 » by stitches » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:03 am

Read on Twitter

:D

stitches
RealGM

Post#215 » by stitches » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:53 am

zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#216 » by zero24gravity » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:45 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
sipclip wrote: Conley was good but he has never been great and at 32 look for the decline to begin soon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Perhaps a decline, but he had, arguably, his best season as a pro + he stayed healthy last season. His highest scoring average & more FTA that any other year of his career in 2018-19. Those aren't typically things that happen as you "slow down". Plus, the guy doesn't turn the ball over (under 2 TO's a game), which is awesome!

He's not without flaw, but let's be honest ..... Conley is head and shoulders above any PG the Jazz have had since the retirement of Johnny-Awesome.

Ahemmmm Deron Williams says hi .....

You're right. I thought of this a couple hours after I posted. D-Will was a beast for the Jazz, and an obvious omission on my part.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#217 » by zero24gravity » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:51 pm

I spent hours last night watching every ESPN/sports channel I could, to see reaction from National reporters. I heard from about 7 different shows/experts and EVERY SINGLE ONE praised the Jazz for this trade. Not one questioned the deal, not one! 3 of them even put the Jazz at the top of the West, and legit title contenders, with another saying the only reason he isn't penciling in the Jazz as top seed is because he wants to see how the Lakers fill out their roster.

The West is suddenly wide-open, and while there's still lots of time for things to shift and the Jazz need to figure out how to get a PF and another shooter, they are primed for a legit title run THIS YEAR. Super pumped!!!!
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#218 » by ForeverRDjazz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:29 am

MeestR wrote:To give up Crowder leaves a big hole in our "stretch 4" position. Jazz must know something is coming. I cant imagine giving up Crowder without some sort of insurance.

I think we have a better small forward on our bench already. George Niang. Better on D and better shooter over all. Jae missing 7 8 threes in a roll won't be missed. Small ball the Jazz can play Jingle at the four. Allen was never used and didn't pan out. KK might be bought out and stay in Utah? Conley is better shooter and plays better D. Worry about is health but you still had to worry about Ricky's health. Ala second round with Rockets. Jazz top 4 easy next year. Easy!
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#219 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:54 pm

zero24gravity wrote:I spent hours last night watching every ESPN/sports channel I could, to see reaction from National reporters. I heard from about 7 different shows/experts and EVERY SINGLE ONE praised the Jazz for this trade. Not one questioned the deal, not one! 3 of them even put the Jazz at the top of the West, and legit title contenders, with another saying the only reason he isn't penciling in the Jazz as top seed is because he wants to see how the Lakers fill out their roster.

The West is suddenly wide-open, and while there's still lots of time for things to shift and the Jazz need to figure out how to get a PF and another shooter, they are primed for a legit title run THIS YEAR. Super pumped!!!!

Yes, though giving up FRPs and signing old man Conley with his player option certainly has considerable risks, with Gobert and DM being as good as they are, and with the Warriors and Rockets facing issues, it seems like good timing to take a big swing and see what happens.

It feels good to already have the deal done. Our front office has moved on to concentrate on filling out the roster while a number of teams are still preoccupied with where the top tier free agents land. Some of these teams are going to whiff on their top targets and wind up disappointed. We are also a bit more attractive destination now for lower level free agents looking to join a competitive, winning team --- we've got a solid big three of "not quite All Stars". :D
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#220 » by Luigi » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:22 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:I spent hours last night watching every ESPN/sports channel I could, to see reaction from National reporters. I heard from about 7 different shows/experts and EVERY SINGLE ONE praised the Jazz for this trade. Not one questioned the deal, not one! 3 of them even put the Jazz at the top of the West, and legit title contenders, with another saying the only reason he isn't penciling in the Jazz as top seed is because he wants to see how the Lakers fill out their roster.

Yes, though giving up FRPs and signing old man Conley with his player option certainly has considerable risks, with Gobert and DM being as good as they are, and with the Warriors and Rockets facing issues, it seems like good timing to take a big swing and see what happens.

It feels good to already have the deal done. Our front office has moved on to concentrate on filling out the roster while a number of teams are still preoccupied with where the top tier free agents land. Some of these teams are going to whiff on their top targets and wind up disappointed. We are also a bit more attractive destination now for lower level free agents looking to join a competitive, winning team --- we've got a solid big three of "not quite All Stars". :D

Yeah, I think we should use our exception to get our guy before round two of free agency opens.

It's a good point about "not quite All Stars." It should remind us that Gobert and Mitchell are great players, and that Conley is right there on that level with them. Pretty strong addition.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.

Return to Utah Jazz