Worlds biggest TPE?
I bought a boat.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Re: Sure sounds like KD is leaving 

Post#842 » by xdrta+ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:32 pm

eminence wrote:Worlds biggest TPE?

Exactly right. Which would be used when someone wants to dump some overpriced, useless salary. Most TPEs expire unused.
CalGTR
Junior
And1: 248

Post#843 » by CalGTR » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:01 pm

xdrta+ wrote:How is this any different than signing him and promising to trade him if he wants?

It's not. That's the exact scenario being discussed. It's an interesting and creative idea, but who knows if it's seriously being discussed.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#844 » by Mylie10 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:37 pm

wco81 wrote:Windhorst says a ign and trade is being discussed.

Maybe the trade wouldn’t occur right away. And KD would need a no trade clause to make sure he ends up on the team he wants.

Windhorst is regurgitating a rumor that listsamy if the possibilities the Warriors are thinking of. They are just preparing for all scenarios.

They aren't actively looking to trade him unless KD has said he's gone.

It's called contingency plans.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#845 » by HiRez » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:48 pm

Mylie10 wrote:

Maybe the trade wouldn’t occur right away. And KD would need a no trade clause to make sure he ends up on the team he wants.

Windhorst is regurgitating a rumor that listsamy if the possibilities the Warriors are thinking of. They are just preparing for all scenarios.

It does sound like the best option for everyone if he is set on leaving though. KD gets something, the Warriors get something, the team receiving KD doesn't get as much because they'd have to give away some assets and pay more, but they'd need to do it if KD insisted (they do get KD locked up for an extra year as well).
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#846 » by xdrta+ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:03 pm

HiRez wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

It does sound like the best option for everyone if he is set on leaving though. KD gets something, the Warriors get something, the team receiving KD doesn't get as much because they'd have to give away some assets and pay more, but they'd need to do it if KD insisted (they do get KD locked up for an extra year as well).

It doesn't sound like a good deal for the Warriors to me. They pay 38 mil this year, plus tax (100? more?), then another team gets to evaluate him next summer and decide if he's recovered enough to go for it. It's all going to be verbal, you can't write a condition like that into a contract, so if he's still hobbled, the Warriors have him another year? Doesn't make sense. If the Warriors want to gamble on him, just sign him if he wants to sign. This "promise to trade" is nonsense.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#847 » by Samurai » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:43 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
HiRez wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

It doesn't sound like a good deal for the Warriors to me. They pay 38 mil this year, plus tax (100? more?), then another team gets to evaluate him next summer and decide if he's recovered enough to go for it. It's all going to be verbal, you can't write a condition like that into a contract, so if he's still hobbled, the Warriors have him another year? Doesn't make sense. If the Warriors want to gamble on him, just sign him if he wants to sign. This "promise to trade" is nonsense.

Is it really “nonsense “? If the other option is that KD decides to sign elsewhere now, then we lose him with nothing in return and no cap space to sign another FA. If those are our choices, then a sign-and-trade seems less nonsensical than losing him with nothing to show for it.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#848 » by xdrta+ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:22 pm

Samurai wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
HiRez wrote:It does sound like the best option for everyone if he is set on leaving though. KD gets something, the Warriors get something, the team receiving KD doesn't get as much because they'd have to give away some assets and pay more, but they'd need to do it if KD insisted (they do get KD locked up for an extra year as well).

Is it really “nonsense “? If the other option is that KD decides to sign elsewhere now, then we lose him with nothing in return and no cap space to sign another FA. If those are our choices, then a sign-and-trade seems less nonsensical than losing him with nothing to show for it.

But it's not a sign-and-trade. It's a sign, with a promise to trade him if he wants. Maybe they find a team willing to give up something worthwhile, maybe they don't, especially is his recovery is questionable. It's all very vague.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,241

Post#849 » by wco81 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:49 pm

He'd want to choose his team and if it's the Knicks, the only vaguely interesting asset would be their #3 pick, which projects as Barrett.

He just happens to play the same position as KD too.
Sam Lowry Jr
Bench Warmer
And1: 281

Post#850 » by Sam Lowry Jr » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:32 pm

wco81 wrote:He'd want to choose his team and if it's the Knicks, the only vaguely interesting asset would be their #3 pick, which projects as Barrett.

He just happens to play the same position as KD too.

If it is a S&T, would a comparable value of players need to come back in order for the trade to work? And if so, who do the Knicks and Nets really have that would make such a trade work?
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#851 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:00 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
eminence wrote:Worlds biggest TPE?

Exactly right. Which would be used when someone wants to dump some overpriced, useless salary. Most TPEs expire unused.

I don't want Kevin Love anymore
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#852 » by Mylie10 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:21 pm

It's either a straight yes or no in regards to KD. I don't want any ingering decisions.

It's either sign the 5 year deal, or head out. No way I'd want to rehab him for a year with all of the indecision. Makes no sense.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#853 » by xdrta+ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:56 pm

Mylie10 wrote:It's either a straight yes or no in regards to KD. I don't want any ingering decisions.

It's either sign the 5 year deal, or head out. No way I'd want to rehab him for a year with all of the indecision. Makes no sense.

Totally agree. Nothing but headaches.
wco81
RealGM

Post#854 » by wco81 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:06 pm

But the reality is, if he signs for 5 years without any promise to accommodate trade requests but then becomes disenchanted at some point and demands a trade, what are the Warriors going to do?

Force him to go out there and play his best?

A malcontent who dogs it out there and doesn't cooperate with media availability or does community events for the team isn't a good situation either.

There's really no advantage signing 1 plus 1 deals like he did or like Lebron did. If Lebron suffered a huge injury, I'm sure the Cavs still would have signed him.

But if at some point he demanded to get out of Cleveland while under a multi year deal, the fans would have hated him but the team would have no choice but to make the best of it.

Just as they did with the Kyrie trade. If he was going to be malcontent, there was no value to having him on the team.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#855 » by xdrta+ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:13 pm

wco81 wrote:But the reality is, if he signs for 5 years without any promise to accommodate trade requests but then becomes disenchanted at some point and demands a trade, what are the Warriors going to do?

Force him to go out there and play his best?

A malcontent who dogs it out there and doesn't cooperate with media availability or does community events for the team isn't a good situation either.

There's really no advantage signing 1 plus 1 deals like he did or like Lebron did. If Lebron suffered a huge injury, I'm sure the Cavs still would have signed him.

But if at some point he demanded to get out of Cleveland while under a multi year deal, the fans would have hated him but the team would have no choice but to make the best of it.

Just as they did with the Kyrie trade. If he was going to be malcontent, there was no value to having him on the team.

Yeah, but that's why this doesn't make sense to me. If he signs and demands a trade in a year or two, OK, you shop around and get the best deal you can. If you promise him now that you'll trade him to the Knicks next summer, you end up with whatever cr*p the Knicks want to get rid of. No, the only reason the Warriors would float this is to entice him to sign, with promises to do whatever he wants in the future. Of course, a promise is only a promise, none of it would be enforceable.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,700

Post#856 » by Warriorfan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:15 pm

I'd expect Knicks to sign 1and 1 deals if this is going to happen.

Knick would have another lottery pick and KD coming on board and space for another max if it's not Kyrie.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#857 » by floppymoose » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:36 pm

Trading KD and getting some youth back is a way to extend the window for this team. Steph/Klay/Dray is the core if a contender if you have a supporting cast like TOR did this year, or HOU did last year.
wco81
RealGM

Post#858 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:45 am

Nets continue to clear cap space even during the draft so the Kyrie and KD package deal is still very much alive.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#859 » by marthafokker » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:17 am

After tonight, KD might have a legacy to work with in New Jersey when he comes back from injury.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
wco81
RealGM

Post#860 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:46 am

So if Woj is correct, sounds like KD is looking at 4 teams, Warriors, Clippers, Knicks and Nets

Does he want a set of pitch meetings again, like last time?

Does he want the other stars to grovel, like they did before? After playing with them for 3 years, he's going to make them audition again?

Warriors don't have Jerry West to close. They still have the best basketball case. He isn't going to win rings on those other teams with Kyrie.

Now Kawhi would be different if the Clippers got him. But I thought he wanted to carry a team to championships by himself.

Return to Golden State Warriors