ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#621 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:43 pm

nate33 wrote:Utah is going to need some forwards though. They have a payroll of $106M if they keep Favors, $90M if they let him go. I could see them letting Favors go and making a run at Paul Millsap. They'll also need a backup center they can count on, but those guys are a dime-a-dozen.

Utah overpaid but it's really just the bench that's their problem, and their willingness to spend to round out the team and maybe keep it together. I doubt they let Favors go. It doesn't create enough cap space for them to really get anyone worthwhile, not that any major free agent would join them anyway, and gives them a smaller MLE. Gobert, Favors, Ingles, Mitchell and Conley might be the best SL in the league next season depending on where Kawhi signs. The Jazz bench is basically empty, though. Exum and Neto won't cut it. If they find someone good willing to sign with them for the MLE, they'd be well positioned to take advantage of the Warriors' injuries out west. That's historically been a pretty tough sell in Utah, though.
Bucket! Bucket!
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#622 » by Rafael122 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:46 pm

nate33 wrote:
TGW wrote:Mike Conley traded to the Jazz:

Memphis has traded guard Mike Conley to the Utah Jazz for Grayson Allen, Kyle Korver and Jae Crowder, the 23rd pick in Thursday's Draft and a future first-round pick, league sources tell ESPN.

— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) June 19, 2019

Good deal for both IMO.

Utah is going to need some forwards though. They have a payroll of $106M if they keep Favors, $90M if they let him go. I could see them letting Favors go and making a run at Paul Millsap. They'll also need a backup center they can count on, but those guys are a dime-a-dozen.

If they let Favors go, they could probably get Mirotic and Dedmon for 18-19 million.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#623 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:47 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
nate33 wrote:Utah is going to need some forwards though. They have a payroll of $106M if they keep Favors, $90M if they let him go. I could see them letting Favors go and making a run at Paul Millsap. They'll also need a backup center they can count on, but those guys are a dime-a-dozen.

Utah overpaid but it's really just the bench that's their problem, and their willingness to spend to round out the team and maybe keep it together. I doubt they let Favors go. It doesn't create enough cap space for them to really get anyone worthwhile, not that any major free agent would join them anyway, and gives them a smaller MLE. Gobert, Favors, Ingles, Mitchell and Conley might be the best SL in the league next season depending on where Kawhi signs. The Jazz bench is basically empty, though. Exum and Neto won't cut it. If they find someone good willing to sign with them for the MLE, they'd be well positioned to take advantage of the Warriors' injuries out west. That's historically been a pretty tough sell in Utah, though.

Good point. It might bet better to keep Favors and then use the MLE on more forward depth.

It seems like everyone wants to use the MLE to add forward depth. It must be nice to be a guy like Kelly Oubre in this offseason. He may not be that good, but the supply/demand dynamics dictate that he'll get a healthy new contract.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#624 » by Kanyewest » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:10 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Celtics went from controlling the East for the next 5 years to treadmill really quickly. I love the NBA.

I wonder what the Celtics would have done with #8 pick in 2018 had they not traded for Kyrie. Perhaps they would have ended up with Mikal Bridges or SGA which would have put them in a much better position. And they got to the conference finals anyways with Kyrie in 2018.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#625 » by closg00 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:29 pm

Utah won 50 games with Rubio and they want to go in a different direction, Conley is clearly an upgrade. Dang-though, they gave-up a lot. Utah still has their 53rd pick though :-?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#626 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:34 pm

LOL:

New York didn't want to absorb Paul's contract. Shocking! What an "offer" from Houston!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#627 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:54 pm

Apparently, Anthony Davis is refusing to waive his trade kicker, and if he doesn't change his mind, that's going to prevent the Lakers from being able to sign a prime free agent.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#628 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:20 pm

Horford possibly to the Mavs? I would think he'd wait to see where Kawhi goes. Could the Clippers sign Kawhi and then split the rest of their cap space between Horford/Rubio?
closg00
RealGM

Post#629 » by closg00 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:14 pm

The Heat has purchased a 2nd round pick
The Atlanta Hawks Basketball Club has acquired a conditional 2024 second-round draft pick and cash considerations from the Miami Heat in exchange for the 44th overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, it was announced today. – via NBA.com
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#630 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:14 am

I mean I don't think they over paid. Korver is over the hill. Crowder is decent. Allen might get good and that's a late round pick in a weaker draft? Not a bad get but idk they are a stud point guard away from being a real problem in the west and everyone is going all in with GS and KD off the board for next season
nate33 wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:
TGW wrote:Mike Conley traded to the Jazz:

Good deal for both IMO.

That's kind of a lot for Conley. :-?

Agreed.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
closg00
RealGM

Post#631 » by closg00 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:48 pm

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#632 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I can't imagine the Bucks not matching an offer starting at 18 mil, and I think they're prepared to pay more than that. Brogdon's just too important for Milwaukee to let go.

What about $23M? Their payroll is already $77M before counting Middleton, Brogdon and Lopez. If Middleton costs $30M and Lopez $10M, are they going to want to $7M into the luxtax to retain Brogdon? (I guess this is why they're trying to move Ilyasova.)

Correct. Ilyasova's a quality player with a reasonable contract, so he's tradable. But I'm guessing what they really want to do is trade Snell and their first to Cleveland for JR Smith - who has very little of his 2019/20 contract guaranteed. If I was Milwaukee, if it takes a max contract to keep Middleton - let him go.

So Milwaukee does in fact use that pick to dump Snell. They do it for Leuer rather than Smith - I guess they couldn't get Cleveland to do my suggestion. Leuer's salary is only about 2 mil less than Snell's this season, but the big savings is the season after. Also, the Bucks save about 2 mil by not having the pick, and they likely stretch Leuer's salary. Do they follow this up with an Ilyasove trade? That would hurt their depth, but it is time for them to see what DJ Wilson can do. Hopefully Bonzi Colson gets in better shape and contributes for them next season. Kinda cool to see that Notre Dame underdog combo of him and Connaughton on the Bucks.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#633 » by nate33 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:46 pm

gambitx777 wrote:I mean I don't think they over paid. Korver is over the hill. Crowder is decent. Allen might get good and that's a late round pick in a weaker draft? Not a bad get but idk they are a stud point guard away from being a real problem in the west and everyone is going all in with GS and KD off the board for next season
JWizmentality wrote:

Korver is filler, but Crowder is a competent, low-cost starter. Utah gave up 2 first round picks and Crowder for 2 years of an injury prone Mike Conley being paid $33M a year.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#634 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:57 pm

nate33 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:I mean I don't think they over paid. Korver is over the hill. Crowder is decent. Allen might get good and that's a late round pick in a weaker draft? Not a bad get but idk they are a stud point guard away from being a real problem in the west and everyone is going all in with GS and KD off the board for next season
JWizmentality wrote:

Korver is filler, but Crowder is a competent, low-cost starter. Utah gave up 2 first round picks and Crowder for 2 years of an injury prone Mike Conley being paid $33M a year.

Ouch, that's a lot of money for Conley and a lot to give up, and he's probably lost half a step, but... he's still damn good and exactly what Utah needed in the short-term - allowing them to play Mitchell at the 2 and/or combo guard. Good trade by both teams, imo. Conley might be getting the same kind of break that Marc Gasol got when he was traded to Toronto.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#635 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:20 pm

closg00 wrote:The Heat has purchased a 2nd round pick
The Atlanta Hawks Basketball Club has acquired a conditional 2024 second-round draft pick and cash considerations from the Miami Heat in exchange for the 44th overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, it was announced today. – via NBA.com

Plus the Hawks dealt their #41 pick to the Warriors, for $1.3m plus a 2024 R2 pick. Be interesting to see who they want to target with that pick. I'd been hoping we'd do a deal with Atlanta that brought us a R2 pick.... :( I imagine they'll use their #35.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#636 » by nate33 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:13 pm

Read on Twitter

That's a really interesting idea from New Orleans. It looks like they want to build a winning culture around Zion immediately. No slogging through a couple of 50-loss seasons waiting for your players to develop.

A lineup featuring Ball, Jrue, Covington, Zion would be terrifying on defense. They could draft Goga at #11 to round out the roster. Mix in Ingram for some offense. And they have a boat load of cap room as well.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#637 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:16 pm

Amazing how decisive & insightful David Griffin is. The way he actually has a clear idea of what he wants to do & so often comes up with effective plans to make it happen. It'll be educational to watch him maneuver to get that extra pick & make a clear & sound decision about whom to pick with it.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#638 » by nate33 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:27 pm

With the Celtics letting Kyrie and Horford go, and by dumping Baynes, they now have $32.3M in cap room - just a few thousand bucks shy of the max slot for a 7-9 year player ($32.7M).

What are they up to? Are they going to make a run at Kawhi or Durant? Or maybe Vucevic? Or do they split it between two guys, like maybe Malcolm Brodgon and Willie Cauley-Stein?

The rest of their team is still rock solid, with lots of good young wings:
PG Smart
SG Brown/Langford
SF Hayward
PF Tatum/G.Williams
C R.Williams/Yabusele

They also have the rights to Rozier, though that would cut into their cap room.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#639 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:07 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#640 » by pcbothwel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:21 pm