Read on Twitter
?s=20
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,000

Re: Welcome to ATL DeAndre Hunter! 

Post#3 » by HMFFL » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:50 am

Hinter has always been on my list so I like the selection.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,923

Post#4 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:02 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
lethalweapon3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,181
Location: State Farm Arena, Moving The Ball From Side To Side

Post#5 » by lethalweapon3 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:29 am

Tah-D'AH!

Q, for those in the know: If the NOP/LAL deal for AD shakes out where the Lakers can find a way to drag it out to July 30th, would De'Andre (accent-placement check verified) have to suit up with the SummerLakers instead of the SummerHawks in Vegas? Or, as I would presume would be the decision, not at all?

~lw3
"Dunking is better than sex." - Shawn Kemp, 1996
jayu70
RealGM

Post#6 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:13 am

lethalweapon3 wrote:Tah-D'AH!

Q, for those in the know: If the NOP/LAL deal for AD shakes out where the Lakers can find a way to drag it out to July 30th, would De'Andre (accent-placement check verified) have to suit up with the SummerLakers instead of the SummerHawks in Vegas? Or, as I would presume would be the decision, not at all?

~lw3

Already reported that the deal will occur July 6th.
We're now part of a 3 team trade taking LALs garbage (hopefully we get an asset) to help them clear space.
Even if the trade is delayed Hunter won't play for LAL, he just won't play at all.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,487

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:51 pm

Seems to be less excitement around here for Hunter D than the other draftees.

He seems like he starts on day 1. I just wonder if it's at SF or PF..

It is not hard to figure out why the Hawks wanted Hunter so badly. He might be the best defender in the class, and they needed a 3-and-D guy. He is the rare rookie who should be able to hold their lineups together right away, and they have enough playmaking that they can afford to bring him along slowly as a creator. In a draft where there was nothing close to a consensus fourth-best player, the No. 4 spot turned into a potentially perfect marriage of player and team.
CBS Sports
lethalweapon3
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by lethalweapon3 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:07 pm

jayu70 wrote:

~lw3

We're now part of a 3 team trade taking LALs garbage (hopefully we get an asset) to help them clear space.
Even if the trade is delayed Hunter won't play for LAL, he just won't play at all.

I see now, between the Schlenk comment you relayed and Woj's from last night before the draft... Viva Las Vegas!

Read on Twitter

~lw3
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#9 » by kg01 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:13 pm

jayu70 wrote:

~lw3

Considering the ineptitude of Pelinka's GMing(sic), I will be distinctly disappointed if we don't fleece an asset from LAL.

"You want a 2025 unprotected 1st? Um, ok? {turns to the accounting dept} .. what's unprotected mean?" - R. Pelinka
king01 :king:
lethalweapon3
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by lethalweapon3 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:39 pm

If you'll excuse the awful, crude March Madness Algebra:

(top-seeded, title-contending UVA, with Devon Hall and Nique's stepkid) minus (D'AH and, I suppose, Kihei Clark) plus (19 game points) < (16-seed Maryland-Baltimore County).

~lw3
lethalweapon3
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by lethalweapon3 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:50 pm

The giggles and snorts dispersing through the Draft Party crowd, when Chauncey dug deep within his player-comp bag of certifiable Hall of Famers to come up with Villa Rican Jae Crowder, warmed the cockles of my heart. It wasn't quite "Jay Bilas as Josh Smith climbed the draft stage stairs" bad, but it sure was an awfully familiar sensation.

~lw3
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#12 » by Worst_to_First » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:00 pm

Congratulations on getting DeAndre Hunter!

A Trae-Huerter-Cam-Hunter-Collins lineup is exciting to watch.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:08 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:Congratulations on getting DeAndre Hunter!

And congrats on adding RJ Hunter Barrett. :banghead:

I have him pegged as the most prolific, productive player from this draft. He's polished, hungry and uber-talented.
fuzzy1
Senior
And1: 293

Post#14 » by fuzzy1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:18 pm

LOVE getting Hunter. He was firmly in the second tier along with the PGs behind Zion IMO. Hunter can be a big part of our defense and has some solid mid-range game, too. Everyone was bad mouthing his #1 option potential, but we've GOT our #1 guy, and Hunter is a better #2 than Barrett, Culver, etc.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:20 pm

^I 100% agree with like 67% of this.

:biggrin:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:24 pm

De'Andre Hunter's 2019 NBA Draft Scouting Report: Analysis of Hawks Pick

Size: 6'7"

Weight: 225 pounds

Wingspan:7'2"

Pro comparison: OG Anunoby

Hunter stamped an exclamation point on a breakout sophomore year by scoring 27 points to lift Virginia to a win in the national title game. On watch lists to start the season after a promising freshman campaign, he capitalized on the extra attention, strengthening his draft case as one of the surest bets in the field.

Offensive strengths

Hunter, who possesses a solid frame for either forward spot, buried 43.8 percent of his three-pointers. He made 48.3 percent of his guarded catch-and-shoot chances and figures to continue working as a spot-up floor-spacer. Hunter can also attack closeouts in straight lines, and he did make some improvements this year as a shot-creator, having finished in the 75th percentile as an isolation scorer and 88th percentile on post-ups. Inside the arc, he likes to operate from the shorter corners and elbows as a face-up weapon.

Offensive weaknesses

Despite shooting with accuracy, he only attempted 2.8 threes in 32.5 minutes per game, and the three-ball is expected to be his most valued offensive skill. He's also still not overly advanced working one-on-one from the wings. If Hunter can't match his shooting numbers from Virginia, it's difficult to pinpoint how much offense he'll be able to contribute, particularly given his average athleticism and limited playmaking (2.0 assists per game).

Spoiler:
Defensive outlook

With lateral foot speed, a strong upper body and long arms, Hunter helped shut down Jarrett Culver in the national championship. He'll be tasked with doing the same to opposing scorers at the next level. Coaches will also value his versatility as a defender who can switch onto any position. It's worth noting he only averaged 3.7 defensive rebounds, 0.6 steals and 0.6 blocks per game, potentially worrisome indicators for a 21-year-old. But the eye test still detects a defensive asset for his lockdown potential and switchability.

Rookie-year projections

Advanced physically with enough tools and awareness to defend right away, Hunter should be a rotation player as a rookie. He shouldn't be counted on for major scoring production in 2019-20, however. Hunter will likely spend most of his minutes spotting up, and he'll earn himself opportunities by cutting and crashing the glass.

Projected role: Three-and-D role player

Turning 22 in December, Hunter isn't considered an upside pick in the draft. Shooting and defense prop up his floor and suggest he's a low-risk fit for any lineup. Like Anunoby, Hunter figures to play mostly an off-ball role on offense while being valued most for his potential to lock up opposing wings and forwards. He projects as a three-and-D wing, and only a major transformation in terms of shot-creation will allow him to bust through that ceiling.

Bleacher Report
jayu70
RealGM

Post#17 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:21 pm

I know there are some who felt we gave up too much for Hunter but from reading these interwebs, the following teams were all trying to get to #4.
Celtics - were upset that No. 4 was traded to another team when they had an offer in.
Minny - NOP wanted Covington and #11, they moved up to 6 hoping Garland would fall, Cavs picked him, why...
Hawks jumped Cavs for Hunter who they were targetting.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#18 » by kg01 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:25 pm

jayu70 wrote:I know there are some who felt we gave up too much for Hunter but from reading these interwebs, the following teams were all trying to get to #4.
Celtics - were upset that No. 4 was traded to another team when they had an offer in.
Minny - NOP wanted Covington and #11, they moved up to 6 hoping Garland would fall, Cavs picked him, why...
Hawks jumped Cavs for Hunter who they were targetting.

It's funny. I don't really think we gave up too much. The CLE pick was a little much but, if I'm being honest, I never expected that to end up being a 1st. Not sure why I should feel differently now.
king01 :king:
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,031

Post#19 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:17 pm

Incredible draft by TS. He worked his as off too. never seen so many moving parts. He also didn't trade away much future assets to do it. Really a dream draft
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:57 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks