ImageImage

Re-Signed: The PJ Washington Jr. Thread (3yrs/$48m)

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

predators
Senior
And1: 319

Re: Welcome to Charlotte: PJ Washington 

Post#41 » by predators » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:50 am

PJ Washington has 7'3 wingspan , pretty athletic, and can space the floor . He's the first guy we've drafted that doesn't have Trex arms for his size since Vonleh.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#42 » by Eoghan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:51 am

Seems like a good fit for the roster and coaching style. No complaints.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,127

Post#43 » by Braggins » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:54 am

BlackOutBuzz wrote:FWIW PJ is the Stepien's #8 prospect.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think Dean Demakis had him top 5.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,127

Post#44 » by Braggins » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:55 am

Eoghan wrote:Seems like a good fit for the roster and coaching style. No complaints.

For once I actually get the feeling Charlotte has a plan and is executing it. Cho actually did a good job acquiring assets in the initial tear down phase, but his execution and how he used those assets always felt like throwing **** at the wall and hoping it sticks.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,202

Post#45 » by amcoolio » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:05 am

Cho just started drafting falling players instead of players that fit or we were high on in scouting

He 100% would have drafted Little, who is still on the board at 24 now
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Welcome to Charlotte: PJ Washington 

Post#46 » by BigSlam » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:11 am

JDR720 wrote:

Seems to be good on offense, has some post skills. if he can be a better Marvin, thats a good late-lottery pick.

Just watched this.

One thing that really stood out to me is how he gets really deep in his post ups, gets super wide and seals off super well.

Good hands as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,549

Post#47 » by yosemiteben » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:16 am

bes628 wrote:There is really no difference between Marv, Bridges, or PJ.

No difference between 33 year old Marvin Williams and 20 year old PJ Washington? I can think of one...
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#48 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:18 am

Love the pick. Still strongly think that Miles & PJ can play together as 3-4 or as 4-5 in a small ball lineup.

The two do have some overlap, but in a good way.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 824

Post#49 » by KingCat » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:20 am

amcoolio wrote:Cho just started drafting falling players instead of players that fit or we were high on in scouting

What are you talking about? The only guy we picked up after falling during the Cho era was Vonleh. Most of Cho picks were reaches. Zeller was considered a reach, Kaminksy was reach, Biz was a reach
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,494

Post#50 » by Bassman » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:22 am

I’m happy with the pick. He was among the three I felt would be available and worthy of consideration. I’d dare say the best PF prospect we’ve drafted since the Bob’s days (I loved the idea of Vonleh but he was more raw, and Frank was always a lower skilled 5 we wanted to convert to a 4).
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#51 » by yosemiteben » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:22 am

KingCat wrote:
amcoolio wrote:Cho just started drafting falling players instead of players that fit or we were high on in scouting

What are you talking about? The only guy we picked up after falling during the Cho era was Vonleh. Most of Cho picks were reaches. Zeller was considered a reach, Kaminksy was reach, Biz was a reach

Believe he's also referencing Monk
bes628
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#52 » by bes628 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:23 am

yosemiteben wrote:
bes628 wrote:There is really no difference between Marv, Bridges, or PJ.

No difference between 33 year old Marvin Williams and 20 year old PJ Washington? I can think of one...

Obviously there’s the age, I just assumed that it was understood and didn’t have to be mentioned.

But point being all avg players at best, with no skill/trait that could be considered very good or elite.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#53 » by yosemiteben » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:23 am

I'm good with Washington. Was he injured this year? Feels like he kind of came out of nowhere, don't remember hearing anything about him until like a week ago.
JDuaneWayne
Senior
And1: 115

Post#54 » by JDuaneWayne » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:29 am

yosemiteben wrote:I'm good with Washington. Was he injured this year? Feels like he kind of came out of nowhere, don't remember hearing anything about him until like a week ago.

Got hurt before the tourney if he had a few good games we wouldn't have had the opportunity to pick him.
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 824

Post#55 » by KingCat » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:32 am

yosemiteben wrote:
KingCat wrote:

Believe he's also referencing Monk

Still, picking up two falling guys in like 6 or 7 drafts hardly shows a correlation, especially when you are the one reaching most of the time.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#56 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:33 am

yosemiteben wrote:I'm good with Washington. Was he injured this year? Feels like he kind of came out of nowhere, don't remember hearing anything about him until like a week ago.

Him being hurt was a big deal for Kentucky in the NCAA tournament. Hes the best pick for us since Kemba, and Ill stand by that.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#57 » by yosemiteben » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:35 am

I mean I challenge anyone that is really worked up about this pick, this is a crappy draft. If anything I'm just surprised we kept the pick, I thought for sure MKG + 12 was on the way out.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,930

Post#58 » by JDR720 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:47 am

From ESPN
Pre-Draft Analysis
Strengths
- Not particularly tall at 6-8 in shoes, but has a chiseled frame, big hands, a 7-3 wingspan and an 8-11 standing reach that should allow him to see minutes as a small-ball center. Fairly quick off his feet and has solid explosiveness off two feet.

- Developed into a versatile offensive player in his sophomore season, converting 42% of his 3-point attempts and 55% of his 2s. Was utilized in a variety of ways at Kentucky -- both facing and with his back to the basket, playing as a pick-and-roll finisher and moving off the ball in open spaces. Creative finisher with good hands and touch.

- Can make an impact as a defender and rebounder thanks to his length and improved conditioning and activity level. Showed a lot of toughness by playing through injury in the NCAA tournament. Ticks quite a few boxes on both ends of the floor. Has a high floor.

Improvement areas
- Awareness is average on both ends of the floor. Not a great passer -- posted a negative assist-to-turnover ratio. Split-second late rotating and making decisions defensively at times. Didn't always play with a consistent motor earlier on in his career.

- Shot the ball well as a sophomore (33-of-78 from 3) but that was on a small sample size and an outlier compared to the rest of his career. Made just 63% of his free throws in college.

- Spent nearly the entire pre-draft process in a boot after injuring his foot and playing through injury in the tournament. Well-known player to teams, but inability to conduct private workouts may not be ideal.
JDuaneWayne
Senior
And1: 115

Post#59 » by JDuaneWayne » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:50 am

JDR720 wrote:From ESPN
Pre-Draft Analysis
Strengths
- Not particularly tall at 6-8 in shoes, but has a chiseled frame, big hands, a 7-3 wingspan and an 8-11 standing reach that should allow him to see minutes as a small-ball center. Fairly quick off his feet and has solid explosiveness off two feet.

- Developed into a versatile offensive player in his sophomore season, converting 42% of his 3-point attempts and 55% of his 2s. Was utilized in a variety of ways at Kentucky -- both facing and with his back to the basket, playing as a pick-and-roll finisher and moving off the ball in open spaces. Creative finisher with good hands and touch.

- Can make an impact as a defender and rebounder thanks to his length and improved conditioning and activity level. Showed a lot of toughness by playing through injury in the NCAA tournament. Ticks quite a few boxes on both ends of the floor. Has a high floor.

Improvement areas
- Awareness is average on both ends of the floor. Not a great passer -- posted a negative assist-to-turnover ratio. Split-second late rotating and making decisions defensively at times. Didn't always play with a consistent motor earlier on in his career.

- Shot the ball well as a sophomore (33-of-78 from 3) but that was on a small sample size and an outlier compared to the rest of his career. Made just 63% of his free throws in college.

- Spent nearly the entire pre-draft process in a boot after injuring his foot and playing through injury in the tournament. Well-known player to teams, but inability to conduct private workouts may not be ideal.

Other sites listed his passing as a strength and definitely passing out of the post.

Who be lyin'? ESPN I'm looking at you
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#60 » by BlackOutBuzz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:05 am

Read on Twitter

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)